Forum Settings
Forums

am i the only one dissapointed on how gaming has changed

Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Post New Reply
Feb 19, 2013 4:08 PM

-gaming difficulty and the definition of hardcore
megaman zero was hardcore highly challenging and brutal but strangely fun.
fear and shogo had really well though out a.i posing a challenge for player.
Now every ones calling games like COD hardcore O_o did i miss something because last i checked that was a rather easy game. games like lost planet 2 that was difficult and fun gets flack for having a good difficulty.

-more expensive for less stuff and planned dlc
example: COD BF3 are both $60 and both have stuff they planned for dlc instead of things they though of adding after the game was out for a while, like with the fear expiation packs or age of empires 2.

while games like gantlet dark legacy where rather cheep if memory serves me right i got mine for $40 OR $45 but it had hours of game play.

-color pallete
many modern games have this problem its like gray dusty tan mostly dull colors meh.

- unimaginative gameplay
skyrm suffers from this
playing this game i feel like my character just picked up a random sword and just swings it around no fineness no skill (except for the finisher attacks)
you can't even climb the dragons. shadow of the colossus came out before this game and you could climb the bosses.

maybe im getting old :|
thoughts?
Modified by hazarddex, Feb 19, 2013 4:28 PM
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

Feb 19, 2013 4:09 PM

Buy Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition.

Realize this thread makes no sense.

Feb 19, 2013 4:16 PM

Solvite said:

This. It made me rage so hard.

Feb 19, 2013 4:19 PM

Solvite said:

im not done making the thread
as for dark souls
-combat system need more flare kind of feels like your playing as a guy who just picked up a sword with no training at all.
-color pallet gray black grayish green dull and boring :|
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others."

Feb 19, 2013 4:29 PM

hazerddex said:

that hasnt been a problem for a while

hazerddex said:

-combat system need more flare kind of feels like your playing as a guy who just picked up a sword with no training at all.
Go play metal gear reavengence

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 19, 2013 4:40 PM

Sounds to me like you're just playing the wrong games.

Feb 19, 2013 4:40 PM

hazerddex said:
Now every ones calling games like COD hardcore O_o did i miss something because last i checked that was a rather easy game. games like lost planet 2 that was difficult and fun gets flack for having a good difficulty.

example: COD BF3 are both $60 and both have stuff they planned for dlc instead of things they though of adding after the game was out for a while, like with the fear expiation packs or age of empires 2.

while games like gantlet dark legacy where rather cheep if memory serves me right i got mine for $40 OR $45 but it had hours of game play.

-color pallete
many modern games have this problem its like gray dusty tan mostly dull colors meh.

- unimaginative gameplay
skyrm suffers from this
playing this game i feel like my character just picked up a random sword and just swings it around no fineness no skill (except for the finisher attacks)
you can't even climb the dragons. shadow of the colossus came out before this game and you could climb the bosses.

thoughts?

Mega man Zero wasn't hard.
What kind of retard calls COD hardcore?
Developers are cunts who think they can make you buy stuff that should have already been in the game. If you want them to stop, then stop buying it.
Why are you complaining about colour palette when it suits the mood of the game?

No offense you just seem like a retard. Before you post you're opinion on the internet and complain about how everything is wrong, maybe you should back up your opinion with more than a one word sentence. No offense if English isn't your main language but if you want to be taken seriously then you should learn to spell.

Feb 19, 2013 4:44 PM

Good thing I only play Yu-Gi-Oh on internet.
"Kickstarter for Rokujouma physical book will be live this fall. Be sure to back it up guys."

Feb 19, 2013 4:54 PM

I just bide my time with the games I like until I see something that grabs my attention like beyond two souls or the last of us... I do need to buy a PS3 for them but meh, they look good. When I do find something good it makes me appreciate it more...

Feb 19, 2013 4:56 PM

mate you want difficulty?
try this.

theres a reason only around 100 people have ever done this.
equal number 1 score worldwide FTW

or the the MGS HD collection (specifically trying to max all the achievements epsecially mgs2 100% dog tags and those FUCKING VR missions.

difficult games still exist and they are plentiful, you just need to look past all that cod kiddy garbage shit. and yes, those are both my videos.

Feb 19, 2013 4:58 PM

Nah, gaming has been simplified to attract more of the "casuals". Take Guitar Hero 3 vs. Guitar Hero 4 for example. The third game was pretty difficult...the songs were really difficult aswell at some point. The fourth game even had a "beginner" mode, which was awfully easy but good for people that don't play games much and aren't used to it. The songs were also overal easier than GH3.

Samething happened with many other games. Previous games used to be kind of short, tended to have a great story and the gameplay was amazing. There aren't many games that live up to the greatness of classic games these days. The ones that do, are worthy of mentioning.

COD isn't hardcore...people just play it hardcore. Children play it like fackin zombies and retards most of the time. The game is fine on the "pro" line. It's a fun FPS game to play for the past years. Many games somehow "imitate" it a bit...well..seems all the same to me a bit. I prefer CoD when it comes to everything else copying it. Otherwise I would prefer the classics of Halo 3 for console (it was best developed from 1-2...I guess anniversary would do aswell)...Unreal or Quake for PC. PDZ was pretty nice aswell...

And hardcore gaming is different from a hardcore player.
Gaming is that of playing 24/7 on a game...exploiting it, regardless ofactually being good or not. As for a hardcore player, it is most likely to be someone that has a lot of experience in gaming. He/she might also have been gaming hardcore aswell...I think it's included...well, usually hardcore players tend to aim for "pro" score aswell aside from loving every other great game.

Feb 19, 2013 5:12 PM

Mileena said:
Sounds to me like you're just playing the wrong games.

This exactly. I'm convinced that everyone who complains about "modern video games" is just playing the wrong games. Do a little digging, and you'll find plenty of stuff.

And really, it makes perfect sense. If thousands of people are complaining that something doesn't exist, it doesn't take a genius to realize that there's a market there and capitalize on it. This is exactly why games like Dark Souls and Super Meat Boy exist. If enough people want something, odds are it's either already out there or on its way. People just need to go find it. Try as they might, developers can't always hand deliver their game to the doorstep of everyone that wants it.

Feb 19, 2013 5:12 PM
otaking
over all this issues are in the us industry the coulur issue at least while Japanese games have never had the isuues we like are colorful pallets
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Feb 19, 2013 5:19 PM

DateYutaka said:
over all this issues are in the us industry the coulur issue at least while Japanese games have never had the isuues we like are colorful pallets
sadly vary few of those games get over here T_T

Feb 19, 2013 5:20 PM

Um
Journey

Feb 19, 2013 5:24 PM

hazerddex said:
DateYutaka said:
sadly vary few of those games get over here T_T

All the ones that we do get are full of moeblobs, fanservice and half ass battle systems.

Feb 19, 2013 5:26 PM

To repeat what someone has said here already, gaming isnt really in a bad state, youre just playing the wrong games, its like music, theres still plenty of quality pieces out there but if your just looking at people like taylor swift or black eyed peas than no shit it will seem like the industry is terrible, you need to look around whatever sells the best, sales does not equal quality, its been like that since entertainment has been a industry

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 19, 2013 5:33 PM

It's not really that the games have changed but the audience has changed, it's more mainstream now - so of course, the focus is more on "Games for everyone".

So when you compare the popular games then to popular games now, you're not taking the audience into account. The easy games are the popular ones, but there are still difficult ones.

Feb 19, 2013 5:34 PM

Whether it's good or bad, the top gaming companies are streamlining most of their games to fit a more casual audience. This is a trend and a logical one at that in terms of business sense.

I also believe much of the old games' difficulty is often due to overlooked game mechanics or inability to utilize the limited resources given.

But hard games still exist. Indie games have been on the rise lately and like said already, you need to know where to look.

I prefer not to use the word hardcore. It's an arbitrary label that creates all sort of senseless conflict among gamers over a word.

Feb 19, 2013 5:47 PM

Hate to say it, but back in the "old" days, games were actually more expensive. Sega Genesis games were 60+, and that was back in the '90s.

I don't really care about difficulty level going down. I work all day at a stressful job, and for me playing games is a way of relaxing. If the game is too difficult then it's not relaxing for me and not worth my time. That being said, I think more games should have difficulty modes so people can tailor the difficulty of a game to fit their wants.

Feb 19, 2013 6:28 PM

Bathos said:
hazerddex said:
Solvite said:

as for dark souls

Translation: "I'm really, really bad at Dark Souls and should probably be playing a game that holds my hand throughout the experience."

translation i went i saw i conquered

Feb 19, 2013 6:44 PM

Dark Souls isn't that hard the bonfires make it easier, yes you'll die but I don't see what all the fuss is about, maybe because comparatively not many games even allow you to die?
The hard of today is the easy of 10 years ago.

Feb 19, 2013 6:49 PM

SL1 Deprived run, kgo.

Feb 19, 2013 6:58 PM

JonyJC said:
Dark Souls isn't that hard the bonfires make it easier, yes you'll die but I don't see what all the fuss is about, maybe because comparatively not many games even allow you to die?

agreed

Feb 19, 2013 7:01 PM

Download Faster than Light.

Feb 19, 2013 7:15 PM

Solvite said:
Download Faster than Light.

that's a fast download was the file 1kb? haha just pulling your leg ill take a look at that game.

Feb 19, 2013 8:24 PM
I hate DLC the most. Why pay full price for a game just to know that there are extra content that you have to pay. I miss the PS2 era.

Feb 19, 2013 9:33 PM

If you simply don't like the newer games being made then I don't see any issues. Just go back and play the old ones instead of ranting about it on a forum.

Feb 19, 2013 10:11 PM
I'm actually pretty impressed with some of the games today managing difficulty, they're able to pull off something being challenging enough that you have to actually think to beat it but it never feels cheap in difficulty. Sure you have your games like CoD and all but there's still some good, challenging games such as Dark Souls, Dragon Age(the first one, second is easy as hell), The later Touhou games, most modern fighting games.
I'll mention the Tales of games aswell, they may not be hard but they're definitely games where skill and strategy can make all the difference. Plus there's always hard mode if a game isn't difficult enough.

Feb 20, 2013 12:11 AM

Solvite said:

Not really. DS is hard because of intentional game mechanics.

Play Baldur's Gate 2 without proper D&D knowledge and see how you get owned by the lich.

Sadly he does make a point here. A prime example is Skyrim. Sure the world is beautiful and fun to explore but compared to Morrowind it's dumbed down to the basics. You could barely kill anything at level 2 there but in Skyrim you were already owning dragons...
If you are a fan of (or simply interested in) Japanese films
then please join the Cinema of Japan club! Thank you (:

Feb 20, 2013 12:19 AM
I agree, games are sooo much easier, but that's because they are being made to suit a wider audience since gaming has boomed in popularity, but there is definitely still a presence of real "hardcore" games, mainly coming from Japan. Concerning DLC, yeah it's fucking retarded.

Feb 20, 2013 12:33 AM

YozoraIsSora said:
I hate DLC the most. Why pay full price for a game just to know that there are extra content that you have to pay. I miss the PS2 era.

DLC is easily one of the worst practices in the industry today. Not that it's a bad idea, because it only prolongs the life of a game which is good. It's the methods/execution of it.

Kind of irritating that it's gotten to the point where games are coming out with day one DLC and Disc-locked content. Pricing on it is ridiculous too, paying 10-15 bucks for a map pack with 3 maps is simply unjustifiable. Fair enough tho. I mean, it is DLC so it's optional right? Not always the case, some companies have the audacity to screw you over if you don't buy it like by restricting multiplayer for you in some way.

If only they'd do things right with it... I guess business is business tho...

Feb 20, 2013 1:16 AM

hazerddex said:

-color pallete

- unimaginative gameplay
skyrm suffers from this

thoughts?

If Megaman Zero is your prime example you can't be that old.

Feb 20, 2013 2:19 AM

I am extremely disappointed in the direction mmorpgs are heading. After playing mabinogi for 5 years, I was really looking forward to the 2nd one. Only to find out it's going to be your generic "action combat" mmo. It doesn't seem like I'm going to be finding an mmo that offers the kind of freedom and progression I'm used to any time soon.
Modified by Leondre, Feb 20, 2013 2:22 AM

Feb 20, 2013 5:34 AM

About DLC...Tales games are a good example to show how "fucked" and "abused" it is.

You see, you first had Symphonia that gave a popularity boom to Tales. It was followed by the actual "greatest" Tales game, Tales of Vesperia (Not mentioning, Abyss, Rebirth and Legendia 'cuz they're kind of minor). Vesperia had the content, the fun, the gameplay, the story and all of it in a game. The games that came after it Graces (f) and Xillia...They put a lot of "extra" content as DLC. Surely, all that content together might just be able to match Tales of Vesperia's content of the Xbox360, let alone the PS3 version with ALL of the DLC.

I'm just saying they're intentionally selling incomplete games where I honestly, wouldn't like to pay the full price for if I have to play atleast DOUBLE the game price to actually get the "full" game. Sure, outfits is extra...but it was a nice replay point for older Tales game. Why pay the full price of a half-assed product? Sounds more like some kind of "Scam" to me. The company that made Dark Soul actually wants to give full games as they actually are (DS had an expansion, but that doesn't matter...it should be 15 dollar/euro for all the extra stuff instead of 3-5 euro for one or two extra things when there are 20 of them). Those companies get my respect for caring about their product enough that they don't want to suck money like a vampire because some people want the game to be "complete". Maybe it's to survive...well...DLC like this has the pros that it can get the company more money...but because it's incomplete, it has the cons that it won't sell good due to too DLC to make it more worthy of playing.

Well...if you love something too much, just go for it I guess.

Feb 20, 2013 8:30 AM
I wouldn't mind DLC if they just made it significantly cheaper, paying atleast 10 bucks for some addition maps or whatever is way too much, not to mention all the little stuff. Soul Calibur is a perfect example of them abusing the hell out of small DLC packs, in SC3 you got plenty of character creation stuff just from unlocking it but now you'd probably be spending close to how much the game costs just in DLC for all that extra stuff instead.

I only have Tales of Vesperia, Abyss and Symphonia, pretty sad that they're starting to jump on the DLC bandwagon as well.

Feb 20, 2013 11:23 AM

hazerddex said:
Solvite said:

im not done making the thread
as for dark souls

Dark Souls would not be the same without it's colour palette, just like Mario would not be the same without it's vibrant colourful world. You don't want your games to be unique, you want them to all be the same; the exact thing you're complaining about. As for the combat system, exact same problem as before. You want games to fit into your mould of what is "good", you don't actually care for them going in their own direction and judging them on their individual merit. Rather, you are judging multiple games based on specific complaints, disregarding the overall theme and style the game is aiming for.

Your post makes about as much sense as bashing Silent Hill for being too dark, gritty and foggy.
Modified by Trapalicious, Feb 20, 2013 11:53 AM

Feb 20, 2013 11:29 AM

I don't think any of the issues OP raised are much of a problem. Just play good games instead.

A development which annoyed me personally huge, was how esports completely died in the last few years. All we have left is SC2, which the community doesn't seem to be too happy with either. Don't get me started on this whole 'MOBA' bullshit... I want the 'good' times back, with multiple high profile events the whole year with at least two awesome fps (quake and 1.6 for example).

Feb 20, 2013 12:42 PM

bNq said:
I don't think any of the issues OP raised are much of a problem. Just play good games instead.

A development which annoyed me personally huge, was how esports completely died in the last few years. All we have left is SC2, which the community doesn't seem to be too happy with either. Don't get me started on this whole 'MOBA' bullshit... I want the 'good' times back, with multiple high profile events the whole year with at least two awesome fps (quake and 1.6 for example).

I don't know where you get your information from but the old-gen eSports are still going strong.

Feb 20, 2013 12:49 PM

I don't know what you mean by neither "old-gen" nor "going strong". Sure 1.6 has a lot of players - actually more than that crappy GO - but the only people you get to play with are people you'd like to avoid usually. It's the same for every other game (WC3, UT99, Q3), allthough most don't get to keep nearly as much players as 1.6.

The point is, all the structures were abandoned. There aren't any leagues or anything anymore for competitive gameplay. All the thrill we felt when watching a fatal1ty play against a Vo0 on main stage, or an alternate against a complexity, - gone. The large communities and awesome fan projects - gone.

That wouldn't be too bad if you'd still get to play the game with decent people at least, but as I said, most fanbases die out after a certain time, which is only natural. Good luck finding someone to play Q3:A with.

Feb 20, 2013 12:52 PM

hazerddex said:
JonyJC said:

agreed
So have you played Dark Souls or not? Because your comment about the "dull, boring" art direction gives the impression that you have no idea what you're talking about.

Modified by Ezekiel, Feb 20, 2013 1:03 PM

Feb 20, 2013 1:14 PM

I don't like the direction non-indie Western developers are going, too many FPS and none of some of the great things like Crash Bandicoot and Spyro, I wouldn't mind a decent platformer without the "hyper realistic" graphics ans stuff.

Feb 20, 2013 1:20 PM

Tachii said:
Whether it's good or bad, the top gaming companies are streamlining most of their games to fit a more casual audience. This is a trend and a logical one at that in terms of business sense.

I also believe much of the old games' difficulty is often due to overlooked game mechanics or inability to utilize the limited resources given.

But hard games still exist. Indie games have been on the rise lately and like said already, you need to know where to look.

I prefer not to use the word hardcore. It's an arbitrary label that creates all sort of senseless conflict among gamers over a word.

Honestly, gaming is about having fun right? So if some people just want to play through a game without dying a million times thats up to them. If you or I get enjoyment out of difficult games, then more power to us. Most games nowadays at least gives up the option to ramp up the difficulty so there really isn't too much of a problem.

I'd also say games are more imaginative nowadays since there are more resources at our disposal. Sure, the best selling games will be the generic FPS games and sports games etc but we still get things like Journey, Unfinished Swan etc.

Feb 20, 2013 1:22 PM

DateYutaka said:

And you're just a weaboo :P

Japanese games have their strongpoints, Western games have their strong points. Both have weakpoints as well. You can't generalize these things too much.

Feb 20, 2013 1:31 PM

Play COD competitively, then tell me its not hardcore.

Feb 20, 2013 1:35 PM

Yup, multiplayer FPS are absolutely ridiculous now, no skill involved, :/ .

At least some people still play games like quakeworld, team fortress classic, cs 1.6 (still has a LOT of players) , bf2.. etc..

Feb 20, 2013 4:48 PM

p2kEddie said:
Play COD competitively, then tell me its not hardcore.

its not hardcore

you done?

Feb 20, 2013 5:30 PM

Just watched the ps4 announcement conference thing. I gotta say a lot of the titles while visually stunning dont actually look that great to me.

Destiny seems it could be good and the game that capcom were showing but all in all the games showcased there were sort of a let down for me. Although the PS4 hardware more than made up for it, 8GB of DDR5 speed memory being used as RAM, just wow
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?

Feb 21, 2013 5:20 AM
otaking
Jrittmayer said:
DateYutaka said:

And you're just a weaboo :P

Japanese games have their strongpoints, Western games have their strong points. Both have weakpoints as well. You can't generalize these things too much.

im Japanese and i i like alot of western games just not the lik for redpotive brown and gray stuff that the us produces now days it takes a full spectrum of color to attect my eyes
and i remeber when Us PC RPGs had a big land to explore or a good story

Daggerfall
Ultima III- VII

to give two example

the game world in skyrim is too small and the story is laughable[ i play games as narrative pieces first if there RPGs
Hell when played as a whole the first arc of YS[ with out Origins] has more depth then skyrim does
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong

Feb 21, 2013 5:30 AM

gaming nowadays holds your hands and tells you where to go step by step.

Ocarina of Time? Here go to this castle. That's it. You're in a vast field, and they never informed you if you didn't make it during day time you wouldn't be able to get in and that kid stalfos would appear & attack you.

Also playing CoD competitively doesn't stand close to competitive Melee, or Speedrunning a game in my opinion.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »