Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 16, 2013 5:16 AM

Jan 2013
I've watched older anime like Gundam, Lupin the Third, Fist of the North Star etc.

I happened to finish fate zero about a week ago. I found out it was the prequel to Fate Stay Night. So...I watched Fate/Zero then Fate Stay Night in order so everything would be brand new to me.

When I got to FSN, I felt disgusted for a second. I just watched a grand form or art and colors and then "that" lol

I thought it was OK but it took me awhile to get use to it again.

Do you think we are getting spoiled with new animation?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 16, 2013 5:24 AM

May 2012
No not at all. There's always going to be better forms of animation as time passes by.

If you enjoy anime for the art then you would probably watch the more latest anime but if you enjoy it for plot (or anything else) then you probably don't care much about the art.
Feb 16, 2013 5:25 AM

Oct 2012
I used to avoid old series because of the art, but now the art style doesn't bother me at all. Just imagine anime like Monster with the animation that eg. SAO had o_o No thank you.
Feb 16, 2013 5:27 AM

Nov 2011
PSInova said:

When I got to FSN, I felt disgusted for a second. I just watched a grand form or art and colors and then "that" lol

There's your problem.
The Art of Eight
Feb 16, 2013 5:30 AM

Aug 2012
PSInova said:
Well there's yer problem!

And yes, I think it is. It's raising my standards of what makes a good anime. The animation quality was phenomenal in Fate/Zero. Definitely needs more material like that. Plot, animation, great character interactions (if not a lack of development), everything.

And for those arguing against animation not being important to an anime:
If I only watched anime for the plot, I'd read a fucking book.

Feb 16, 2013 5:36 AM

Sep 2009
I think it's less a matter of age and more a matter of some series just having better animation than others. I mean, Ghost in the Shell is almost 20 years old and it still outstrips almost everything ever in the animation department.
Feb 16, 2013 5:38 AM

Jan 2013
MellowJello said:
PSInova said:

And yes, I think it is. It's raising my standards of what makes a good anime. The animation quality was phenomenal in Fate/Zero. Definitely needs more material like that. Plot, animation, great character interactions (if not a lack of development), everything.

I didn't mean it in a bad way! I was just pushed backed for a second. All the recent anime looks really good to me know so I have to keep adjusting my way of seeing things like first season of pokemon for example.
Feb 16, 2013 5:44 AM

Aug 2012
PSInova said:
MellowJello said:
PSInova said:

I didn't mean it in a bad way! I was just pushed backed for a second. All the recent anime looks really good to me know so I have to keep adjusting my way of seeing things like first season of pokemon for example.
Ha ha, we're having a bit of a miscommunication.

The "problem" here (in my opinion, of course *AHEM*) is that you should've seen FS/N first. Fate/Zero comes second. I'd start a long-winded conversation but it's too late >__>;
Feb 16, 2013 5:48 AM

Sep 2011
For me, no. I don't give a shit about animation unless it was utterly disturbing.

Feb 16, 2013 6:04 AM

Sep 2012
The fact is that F/SN was made by Studio Deen, that's why it's crap. I couldn't give a 10 to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai mainly because they screwed up the animation.
Feb 16, 2013 6:09 AM
Nov 2009
While animation these days is better on average especially in TV series, there's always been good animation in both old and newer anime. Newer shows of course have the advantage of higher resolution and better video quality not to mention more polished visuals.
Feb 16, 2013 6:30 AM

Jun 2012
I kind of understand what you're getting at. I've found myself refusing to watch older shows unless I can find remastered editions that are in high definition, but I don't think I've ever felt disgusted by the quality or even scoffing at it. It's just something you're going to have to accept. New shows will generally have better animation quality than older shows; that's a given.

Do I think we're getting spoiled? No, not really. I think we wouldn't be getting what we deserve if shows that aren't SoL/romance/comedy/etc weren't trying to achieve new heights with their animation quality. Generally, these shows, whether they're action, psychological thrillers or or mystery series, will try to build an atmosphere to set the mood and it's necessary for them to focus on animation to do so.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 16, 2013 6:38 AM

Jul 2012
The question should be are we getting spoiled with new things as most watch anime on the computer ect.

I still watch old animation(80s/2000s)
Feb 16, 2013 6:43 AM

Apr 2008
I think older animation has a certain charm to it that all this new computer animation simply can't replicate.

Having said that Macross Frontier: Sayonara no Tsubasa really does look amazing in BluRay the animation blew me away and I think it's good that animation is improving but at the same time its a shame that some shows feel they can rely on it alone - it's the same in the gaming industry i.e. ff13 people think they can get away with good graphics alone. Chrono Trigger on a silly old 8mb snes cart is a much better game.

Things like Evangelion and Blue Gender just have this unspeakable charm to them - compare that to some of the newer and highly crap mecha like Gundam 00 and you'll see where I'm coming from.
Feb 16, 2013 11:27 AM
May 2012
PSInova said:

Ifkr.
Feb 16, 2013 11:57 AM

Oct 2010
What? So animation can't be good nor look gorgeous because it fools you? Wait what wait what?

Inb4 this turns into an "old vs new" rant. I don't understand this thread either.
Feb 16, 2013 12:03 PM

Jun 2009
Chalk up another person who doesn't really get what the OP is trying to say. But, if you ask me if watching something with great animation like F/Z can somehow hamper my enjoyment of something from an earlier time: no. I think the F/SN anime had much more pressing problems than animation.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 16, 2013 12:36 PM

Apr 2011
No. Some old anime series age very well.
Feb 16, 2013 12:47 PM

Dec 2012
MellowJello said:
PSInova said:

Basically this, took my post right out of my mouth. (or hands? ....I don't even know any more....)
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
Feb 16, 2013 12:50 PM

Jun 2007
Litrydow said:
The fact is that F/SN was made by Studio Deen, that's why it's crap. I couldn't give a 10 to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai mainly because they screwed up the animation.
Indeed, I think the main contrast here is Studio Deen vs. Production I.G., not necessarily "old vs. new." After all, there are a fair number of series from ~2006 whose animation is still fairly well respected, afaik. Such as Code Geass, Death Note, Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Shana, and Kanon.

Though I do like Deen's work on low-key, low-action series like Strawberry Panic, Fruits Basket, and Touka Gettan...
Feb 16, 2013 6:50 PM
Jun 2009
Good animation comes from hiring the best talent, proper scheduling and a sufficient budget. Movies and OVAs can still look amazing while TV series have always had problems because of the amount of footage the staff have to produce. They can't get the same people to work on each episode and the budget has to be spread thin especially if it's a long running show. Look at Akira, it isn't perfect but it still looks better than most anime (new or old) because it had the highest budget for an anime movie at the time plus an army of veteran and young animators eager to prove themselves.

The only real advantage modern anime has is the widescreen format.
Feb 16, 2013 6:52 PM

May 2011
Don't confuse animation with art style.......
Feb 16, 2013 7:02 PM

Dec 2012
PSInova said:
When I got to FSN, I felt disgusted for a second. I just watched a grand form or art and colors and then "that" lol?

What You're Saying: Fate/zero was prettier than Fate/stay night.
What We Think You're Saying: Fate/zero was Fate/zero and Fate/stay night was...uh...Fate/stay night.

I actually know exactly what the OP is saying. Pretty much all pre-2000 anime I can't watch because the style/animation take me out of the experience. Even some post-2000 anime like RahXephon are almost physically painful to look at.

I wish this wasn't the case, but for some reason it is. =(
Feb 16, 2013 7:02 PM

Jan 2013
Higurashi's animation is fine.
Feb 16, 2013 7:03 PM

Sep 2009
I wouldn't say that we're spoiled by them. I grew up on the 80's and 90's art so I still really enjoy that. I actually prefer alot of older shows to the new, cleaner animation style.

I would say, for action anime atleast, the new animation has gotten rid of the "let's use the same couple of frames over and over again during the fighting" which was always a big complaint from me.

I would say that the downside is studio's are putting so much time and energy into animation that one could say that other area's are being neglected. Budgeting these big animation projects become issues, specifically when it comes to finishing a show

Just my opinion..
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 16, 2013 8:08 PM

Sep 2012
Solvite said:

No.
Feb 16, 2013 8:11 PM

Jan 2013
Litrydow said:
Solvite said:

No.

Its bad by modern standards, but it didn't hurt my ability to watch it.

The repetition did though.
Feb 16, 2013 8:21 PM

Jan 2013
Solvite said:
Litrydow said:
Solvite said:

No.

It is bad, after all, it was DEEN.

The manga is way better in art, and I do say this even if there are different artist for each volume.

Feb 16, 2013 8:23 PM

Jan 2008
Wouldn't call it being spoiled, rather I see it as 'setting the bar higher'. Although most titles I ever consider to bump that bar up are usually movies.
Feb 16, 2013 8:25 PM
Jul 2012
012yArthur0 said:
Solvite said:
Litrydow said:
Solvite said:

No.

The manga is way better in art, and I do say this even if there are different artist for each volume.

Agreed. If the anime was animated anyway like how the manga was drawn. Higurashi would've actually been able to scare me off.
Feb 16, 2013 8:27 PM

Dec 2012
012yArthur0 said:
Solvite said:
Litrydow said:
Solvite said:

No.

The animation was sub-par it was not BAD. BAD is too harsh of a word. The visuals and the way the camera was used makes up for it though, so it is not a negative point to the anime.
Feb 16, 2013 8:28 PM

Jan 2013
I had just assumed Higurashi was really old.

You can't always watch anime that looks super good.

I will say I wish the animation in LOGH looked better, because I want to watch it but I'm nervous about it.
Feb 16, 2013 8:32 PM

Dec 2012
Solvite said:

I will say I wish the animation in LOGH looked better, because I want to watch it but I'm nervous about it.

If LotGH had an animation value of, well let's say Kara No Kyoukai, or anything by Ufotable as a matter of fact, that would be...an insult to the anime world.

Because it would be that insanely good.
Feb 16, 2013 8:34 PM

Jun 2009
Solvite said:

The animation for LoGH is perfectly fine for what it is. It's not like there are a lot of heavy action scenes in it or anything. Chances are you'll get absorbed into the story and won't give a shit about the animation. Well, that's how I was.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 16, 2013 8:36 PM

Jan 2013

Is this the future of anime animation?
Feb 16, 2013 8:38 PM

Dec 2012
Solvite said:

Hope it's not, because of reasons.
Feb 16, 2013 8:41 PM

Jan 2013
Jovoo said:
Solvite said:

I normally am not a super big fan of CGI, but in the context of that story I think it fits.
Feb 16, 2013 8:42 PM
May 2012
I thought Higurashi's art was fine. It just bothered me how the graphics suddenly changed between the first and Kai.
Feb 16, 2013 8:43 PM

Jan 2013
Sophilia said:
I thought Higurashi's art was fine. It just bothered me how the graphics suddenly changed between the first and Kai.

Can i really skip the first season?

If I have to hear the story of the festival again i'm going to shoot myself.
Feb 16, 2013 8:44 PM
Jul 2012
Solvite said:
Sophilia said:

You can, it wont help you understand the story at all though.
Feb 16, 2013 8:45 PM

Dec 2012
Solvite said:
Jovoo said:
Solvite said:

I normally am not a super big fan of CGI, but in the context of that story I think it fits.

Leave CGI to Hollywood, we don't need it in anime. And you might be right with the whole story part, however as I said above, what Ufotable are doing right now, setting standards and what not, we can't ask for anything more (and we won't get it anyway, because of reasons).
Feb 16, 2013 8:45 PM
May 2012
What Jav said, but Solvite, you don't enjoy the gore? That was one of the main reasons I watched it in the first place.
Feb 16, 2013 8:47 PM

Dec 2012
Solvite said:
Sophilia said:

Bear with it, and you will be rewarded, trust me.
Feb 16, 2013 8:49 PM

Jan 2013
Sophilia said:
What Jav said, but Solvite, you don't enjoy the gore? That was one of the main reasons I watched it in the first place.

The gore is cool, but its like... gah.

"Four years ago" AWBGHFIODKOBGHSFOBN I KNOW WHAT HAPPENED JUST STAB SOMEONE.
Feb 16, 2013 8:49 PM

Jun 2009
Solvite said:
Sophilia said:

Like the others I would highly recommend finishing the first season before going into Kai.

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 16, 2013 8:51 PM

Jan 2013
DrCakey said:
PSInova said:
When I got to FSN, I felt disgusted for a second. I just watched a grand form or art and colors and then "that" lol?

What You're Saying: Fate/zero was prettier than Fate/stay night.
What We Think You're Saying: Fate/zero was Fate/zero and Fate/stay night was...uh...Fate/stay night.

I actually know exactly what the OP is saying. Pretty much all pre-2000 anime I can't watch because the style/animation take me out of the experience. Even some post-2000 anime like RahXephon are almost physically painful to look at.

I wish this wasn't the case, but for some reason it is. =(

This is what I meant. Thank you for that.
Feb 16, 2013 8:52 PM

Jan 2013
Animation style only bothers me when the characters don't fit real life proportioning.

Its the reason why I will never watch One Piece.

I also barely made it through Mirai Nikki.
Feb 16, 2013 8:53 PM

Jun 2009
Sophilia said:

See, the problem with the anime is that Higurashi (the VN, I mean) isn't about gore in any way at all. They were more of a result of growing paranoia and suspense that I don't think the anime really captured. That said, I think the Kai arcs were handled a lot better. Probably because the longer length of the arcs.

Solvite said:
Animation style only bothers me when the characters don't fit real life proportioning.

That's hardly convincing coming from someone with a Yuru Yuri avatar and Clannad After Story in their favorites..... I like those shows, but come on man.

- Geralt of Rivia
Feb 16, 2013 8:54 PM

Jan 2013
insan3soldiern said:
Sophilia said:

See, the problem with the anime is that Higurashi (the VN, I mean) isn't about gore in any way at all. They were more of a result of growing paranoia and suspense that I don't think the anime really captured. That said, I think the Kai arcs were handled a lot better. Probably because the longer length of the arcs.
Solvite said:

That's hardly convincing coming from someone with a Yuru Yuri avatar and Clannad After Story in their favorites..... I like those shows, but come on man.

Can you explain to me how Yuru Yuri and Clannad had characters that werent shaped like real people?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 9 hours ago

14 by LNW_R92CP »»
5 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 13 minutes ago

2 by Otakupervert890 »»
10 minutes ago

» Describe your anime watching as one sentence.

LenRea - Apr 11

39 by ryzxgum »»
18 minutes ago

Poll: » has the majority of people (here) seen the big 3 ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ame - Apr 16

161 by Otakupervert890 »»
20 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 10 hours ago

38 by InsomniacBastard »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.