Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 11, 2013 7:42 PM

Jul 2012
Im trying to expand my horizons and im just looking for the right anime to do it, because im really into action/thriller series and I get bored with almost anything else.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 11, 2013 7:46 PM

Oct 2012
Entry level?
Clannad and Clannad After Story for sure.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Feb 11, 2013 7:55 PM

Aug 2012
Tavor said:
Entry level?
That. Although it might be a bit heavy, for newcomers.

Lucky Star was my earliest slice of life. Hate/Love kind of thing though. 1st episode will decide.
Acchi Kocchi was just hilarious.
K-On because it has free music.
Nichijou because the title is a blatant lie.

Yuru Yuri is all sorts of excellent. Funny, non-explicit yuri, and some great slice of life.
Feb 11, 2013 7:59 PM

Oct 2012
MellowJello said:
Tavor said:
Entry level?

True. Biased I guess though since it was like 'entry-like' anime to me since it got me more involved with anime in general.

Second your rec of Acchi Kocchi as well.

Feb 11, 2013 8:44 PM
Aug 2010
Amagami SS - Though itll prolly set the bar pretty high. Itll also pretty much introduce you to every type of female romantic archetype.
Feb 11, 2013 9:12 PM

May 2012
clannad is about as heavy as they get(at least of what Ive seen)
spice and wolf is the most slice o' life/romance I can think of or GJ-bu, but you should give toradora, mayo chiki, or boku wa tomadochi a try

also 3rd for acchi kocchi although it is very episodic it is a good watch
Feb 11, 2013 9:16 PM
Oct 2012
MellowJello said:
Tavor said:
Entry level?

Lucky Star was my earliest slice of life. Hate/Love kind of thing though. 1st episode will decide.
Acchi Kocchi was just hilarious.
K-On because it has free music.
Nichijou because the title is a blatant lie.

Yuru Yuri is all sorts of excellent. Funny, non-explicit yuri, and some great slice of life.

Yes I agree with you on Clannad, and also agree that it might be hard on newcomers as it was on me even when I had never really watched hard core drama before.

EDIT:
Tvking00 said:
Im trying to expand my horizons and im just looking for the right anime to do it, because im really into action/thriller series and I get bored with almost anything else.

Although drama is hard to watch, it is what hooks most people when it comes to anime and especially when it comes to romance and slice of life. As for my recommendation considering this and how you are new to it, I would say you should watch Guilty Crow. Guilty Crown is action/romance/drama/ect. and although it has some pretty heavy drama I think it will be good for you since you are not used to romance but are used to action.
asdcvvbbd1Feb 11, 2013 9:25 PM
Feb 11, 2013 9:45 PM

Nov 2012
K-ON
Feb 12, 2013 7:17 AM
Sep 2012
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
Feb 12, 2013 10:25 AM

Apr 2009
Aneaus said:
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo

This. Great intro for the genre.
Feb 12, 2013 11:52 AM
Jan 2013
Clannad and clannad after story are great.
Try out Kokoro connect, I loved it.
Feb 12, 2013 12:03 PM

Aug 2009
Entry level... not really sure what your getting at with that, but here are some of SoL titles I managed to enjoy and I'm not really a fan of the genre

Welcome to the NHK
GTO
Haibane Renmei
Planetes
Tatami Galaxy
Usagai Drop

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself."
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Feb 12, 2013 12:07 PM

Apr 2012
Nodame Cantabile
Feb 12, 2013 12:09 PM

Oct 2012
Uchuu kyoudai is the most basic, entry level slice-of-life show. I'll even go as far to call it the "flagship" slice of life show out there.

Good luck
Feb 12, 2013 12:38 PM

Jul 2011
sakurasou no pet na kanojo,kaichou wa maid sama,tonari no kaibutsu kun,final approach,
Feb 12, 2013 4:23 PM

May 2011
I got into SoL with Lucky Star, it was the show that got me into SoL when i was a bleachtard
Feb 12, 2013 4:57 PM

Feb 2012
Oreimo is what got me into slice of life...
"Efficiency is not king, efficacy is."

Post a comment on my profile. Profile comments are fun.

Feb 12, 2013 8:06 PM

Jul 2012
bottosai-01 said:
Entry level... not really sure what your getting at with that, but here are some of SoL titles I managed to enjoy and I'm not really a fan of the genre

Welcome to the NHK
GTO
Haibane Renmei
Planetes
Tatami Galaxy
Usagai Drop

I just meant a anime for beginners of the genre you know like you might recommend Naruto for shonen newcomers or Gurren Lagann for people interested in Mecha series.
Feb 12, 2013 9:14 PM

Feb 2012
Do not start with Clannad, start with Angel Beats!

The reason being that Angel Beats! is the perfect entry level drama for those into action, as it's basically half and half; action and drama.

If you like the drama side of Angel Beats! then move on to Clannad, Air, Kanon, etc. But don't dive head first into straight drama.
Feb 12, 2013 9:21 PM

Jan 2013
Rosario and Vampire

Also really, don't start with Clannad.

So yeah, Rosario and Vampire or Yuri Yuri for me.
Feb 13, 2013 2:22 AM

Oct 2010
Toradora! was one of my first SoL/Romance and I actually really enjoyed that. Plus, it has a plot - a lot of SoL don't have a clear plot and I found that pretty discouraging when starting out with the genre. I don't mind now that I'm used to it (actually it's probably my favorite genre now), but boy did it bother me when I started out.
I wouldn't go for anything too 'cute girls doing cute things/nothing' to start with, so I wouldn't recommend Yuru Yuri, K-ON or Nichijou as said above, even though they aren't bad series. They just take some getting used to.
Feb 13, 2013 2:50 AM

Jun 2012
I would avoid Toradora! especially if you're looking for something entry level, unless you're really into Tsundere's. Although I'm hesitant to call the main a tsundere because she acts more like a straight up bitch.

Kamio-chan makes a good point, Angel Beats seems like a very good place to start for you. However I would also recommend Clannad because it has a lot of elements you will find back in SoL and romance. Comedy, drama, several love interests, cute character design and high school life. Then again I'm heavily biased because Clannad was my first and in my top 5.
Feb 13, 2013 3:03 AM

Jan 2013
Riiken said:
I would avoid Toradora! especially if you're looking for something entry level, unless you're really into Tsundere's. Although I'm hesitant to call the main a tsundere because she acts more like a straight up bitch.

Kamio-chan makes a good point, Angel Beats seems like a very good place to start for you. However I would also recommend Clannad because it has a lot of elements you will find back in SoL and romance. Comedy, drama, several love interests, cute character design and high school life. Then again I'm heavily biased because Clannad was my first and in my top 5.

I strongly recommend that people who are new to anime stay away from Clannad, which has been known to cause clinical depression in those who finished it.

Start with something like K-on! or whatever, that doesn't make your brain hurt.
Feb 13, 2013 4:12 AM

Feb 2012
Solvite said:

I strongly recommend that people who are new to anime stay away from Clannad, which has been known to cause clinical depression in those who finished it.

Wow, really? Who was this?
Feb 13, 2013 7:17 AM

Jun 2012
Solvite said:
Riiken said:

You make it sound like a bad thing. Tearjerkers aren't necessarily inaccessible or a bad place to start. I'd even argue it's the reason why Clannad is so popular and "mainstream".

If you don't like a certain aspect of Clannad there is good chance you'll like something else. Don't like the music? You still have gorgeous art. Don't like the characters? You still have interesting story arcs. Don't like the drama? You still have the comedy. With K-on!: Don't like moe? ...
Feb 13, 2013 7:23 AM

Feb 2010
Kamio-chan said:
Do not start with Clannad, start with Angel Beats!

The reason being that Angel Beats! is the perfect entry level drama for those into action, as it's basically half and half; action and drama.

If you like the drama side of Angel Beats! then move on to Clannad, Air, Kanon, etc. But don't dive head first into straight drama.

That seems like a decent proposal.

I also find Planetes or Uchuu Kyoudai to be good entry s-o-l series.
I probably regret this post by now.
Feb 13, 2013 7:23 AM
Mar 2011
Riiken said:
Solvite said:
Riiken said:

You make it sound like a bad thing. Tearjerkers aren't necessarily inaccessible or a bad place to start. I'd even argue it's the reason why Clannad is so popular and "mainstream".

If you don't like a certain aspect of Clannad there is good chance you'll like something else. Don't like the music? You still have gorgeous art. Don't like the characters? You still have interesting story arcs. Don't like the drama? You still have the comedy. With K-on!: Don't like moe? ...

Clannad is not Mainstream
the mianstrem sol are stuff like shin chan or maruko chan ect
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Feb 13, 2013 12:39 PM

Jul 2012
I've decided to start with Planetes & Lovely Complex then I'll move on to Toradora & Clannad
Feb 13, 2013 1:10 PM

Jun 2012
Angel Beats isn't romance until the end :/ smh

Try:

-Sukitte ii na yo

-Kaichou wa Maid Sama
Feb 13, 2013 1:10 PM

Jan 2013
Clannad: After Story is more like torture than a tear jerker. Hurts so freaking good.

The first season's really funny though.
Feb 13, 2013 1:15 PM
Jul 2012
Solvite said:

Is this true? Clannad was the first anime i've watched that wasn't a battle shounen. I didn't find it that depressing at all. Even so, not depressing enough to cause clinical depression. The ending wasn't even sad.
Feb 13, 2013 1:17 PM

Jan 2013
JavierR said:
Solvite said:

Is this true? Clannad was the first anime i've watched that wasn't a battle shounen. I didn't find it that depressing at all. Even so, not depressing enough to cause clinical depression. The ending wasn't even sad.

Did you watch after story?

And yes. Whether or not it actually was depression is open to interpretation, but you can find posts on multiple medical websites from people saying Clannad made them have trouble functioning in society for a while.
Feb 13, 2013 1:21 PM
Jul 2012
Solvite said:
JavierR said:
Solvite said:

And yes. Whether or not it actually was depression is open to interpretation, but you can find posts on multiple medical websites from people saying Clannad made them have trouble functioning in society for a while.

I watched afterstory immediately after I finished CLANNAD. I feel that the people that seriously need medical attention due to depression from watching CLANNAD had problems to begin with. imo
Feb 13, 2013 1:27 PM

Jan 2013
JavierR said:
Solvite said:
JavierR said:
Solvite said:

I watched afterstory immediately after I finished CLANNAD. I feel that the people that seriously need medical attention due to depression from watching CLANNAD had problems to begin with. imo

It was really hard for me to watch.

Anyways, can't go wrong with the ones he chose to start with.
SolviteWoTaberuFeb 13, 2013 1:33 PM
Feb 13, 2013 1:31 PM

Oct 2012
I cried 5-7 episodes straight in Clannad AS, but I would I was far away from depression.
It all really depends on the individual. So for your case, Solvite, it would make sense that Clannad AS impacts you greatly (I would spoil tag that info by the way) compared to someone like me, who is not even a parent to being with.

Feb 13, 2013 1:34 PM

Jan 2013
Tavor said:
I cried 5-7 episodes straight in Clannad AS, but I would I was far away from depression.
It all really depends on the individual. So far your case, Solvite, it would make sense that Clannad AS impacts you greatly (I would spoil that info by the way) compared to someone like me, who is not even a parent to being with.

Couldn't figure out how to do a spoiler tag so I just deleted it.

I really wouldn't call After Story a "Slice of Life" anime, even though it fits the criteria.

There is nothing "cute" about after story. Even the opener makes me cry.
Feb 13, 2013 1:41 PM

Oct 2012
Solvite said:

{spoiler}stuff{/spoiler} but replace {}'s with []'s

Solvite said:
I really wouldn't call After Story a "Slice of Life" anime, even though it fits the criteria.

How so though? There's not really an ambiguous plot here, it simply follows the everyday lives of the cast which offers a "slice of life". Sure, the super natural element distracts from it from the SoL genre, but holistically, it's a SoL.
I would have to point out that "cute" is not a factor in this thread. Even SoL can be drama-oriented or just plainly light-hearted like Acchi Kocchi.

Feb 13, 2013 1:44 PM

Jan 2013
Tavor said:
Solvite said:

{spoiler}stuff{/spoiler} but replace {}'s with []'s

Solvite said:

How so though? There's not really an ambiguous plot here, it simply follows the everyday lives of the cast which offers a "slice of life". Sure, the super natural element distracts from it from the SoL genre, but holistically, it's a SoL.
I would have to point out that "cute" is not a factor in this thread. Even SoL can be drama-oriented or just plainly light-hearted like Acchi Kocchi.

I always thought SoL is supposed to be like "A regular day in the lives of the characters".

Clannad: After Story is like: Watch this guy get shit on for 20 episodes.
Feb 13, 2013 1:48 PM

Oct 2012
Solvite said:

I always thought SoL is supposed to be like "A regular day in the lives of the characters".

Clannad: After Story is like: Watch this guy get shit on for 20 episodes.

Life has ups/downs, and some have more than others, Tomoya happened to have more of the
side of life in the second season. I won't deny this series exaggerates the situations presented, however, even we can experience the same to a degree. Regular isn't really definable anyway for person to person. So what you saw was the fictitious daily lives of the Clannad cast.

Feb 13, 2013 1:49 PM
Jul 2012
KEY is all about melodrama. You shouldn't be surprised.
Feb 13, 2013 1:51 PM

Jan 2013
I still say the OP should watch the Rosario + Vampire english dub.

Its on netflix in 720p, so you don't have to "download" it.

Its funny, it has romance, it doesn't have a hard to follow story.

The second season is kind of meh, but its a really fun anime to ease you into the ANGST of most other anime.
Feb 13, 2013 3:29 PM

Jun 2012
Solvite said:
I still say the OP should watch the Rosario + Vampire english dub

His list said he dropped Rosario for the manga.

Well, if action and thrillers only excite you, it's better if you go half action and half romance like Angel Beats!, although I thought the story could have been done better.

Stay away from Clannad if you hate melodrama. I was one of the people who found the melodrama to be too cheesy and I didn't like it. But if you get emotional easily, shoot for it.

I'd say
Toradora- good one to start with, one of my first romance comedies with an intriguing story and an actual conclusion.

Kaichou wa Maid Sama - Another first one for me, it's very cliche but not at all bad in any way.

Acchi Kocchi - More lighthearted and silly. If you don't want a heavy plot like Toradora, try this.
Feb 13, 2013 3:43 PM
Mar 2011
Taku33 said:
Solvite said:
I still say the OP should watch the Rosario + Vampire english dub

His list said he dropped Rosario for the manga.

Well, if action and thrillers only excite you, it's better if you go half action and half romance like Angel Beats!, although I thought the story could have been done better.

Stay away from Clannad if you hate melodrama. I was one of the people who found the melodrama to be too cheesy and I didn't like it. But if you get emotional easily, shoot for it.

I'd say
Toradora- good one to start with, one of my first romance comedies with an intriguing story and an actual conclusion.

Kaichou wa Maid Sama - Another first one for me, it's very cliche but not at all bad in any way.

Acchi Kocchi - More lighthearted and silly. If you don't want a heavy plot like Toradora, try this.

orly Toradora a romance its a very bad one
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Feb 13, 2013 3:44 PM

Oct 2012
Oh snap, DateYutaka is here to stir up some trouble because everything he says is 100% truth!

Feb 13, 2013 3:44 PM
Mar 2011
Maison Ikkoku- simply put the best non Shojo romance manga and anime every made

Feb 13, 2013 3:46 PM
Mar 2011
Tavor said:
Oh snap, DateYutaka is here to stir up some trouble because everything he says is 100% truth!

never said that but sorry but any one wo can say toradora is a realistic built romance story is not of there right mind if you compare it too Maison Ikkoku
more realistic build of romance with better more Likeabe leads that you what to see work out caude there both ikable from the start of the story whle for most of the story taiga is hatefull and the guy is bland as sin
DateYutakaFeb 13, 2013 3:52 PM

Feb 13, 2013 3:49 PM

Oct 2012
DateYutaka said:
Tavor said:

never said that but sorry but any one wo can say toradora is a realistic bulit romance story is not of there right mind

Tvking00 said:

I did not see a single line of text where the anime had to be 'realistic'.
I'm surprised you didn't call me out on Clannad however.

Feb 13, 2013 3:50 PM
Jul 2012
DateYutaka said:
orly Toradora a romance its a very bad one

your lying. Tora dor a is a gre t anime
Feb 13, 2013 3:55 PM
Mar 2011
Tavor said:
DateYutaka said:
Tavor said:

never said that but sorry but any one wo can say toradora is a realistic bulit romance story is not of there right mind

Tvking00 said:

I did not see a single line of text where the anime had to be 'realistic'.
I'm surprised you didn't call me out on Clannad however.

my view is thus
if its sometimg that can happen in real life it best be realistically written or there is a disconnect is there not
never said that but sorry but any one wo can say toradora is a realistic built romance story is not of there right mind if you compare it too Maison Ikkoku
more realistic build of romance with better more Likeabe leads that you what to see work out caude there both ikable from the start of the story whle for most of the story taiga is hatefull and the guy is bland as sin

Feb 13, 2013 3:58 PM

Oct 2012
DateYutaka said:

my view is thus
if its sometimg that can happen in real life it best be realistically written or there is a disconnect is there not

Aye, you're missing the point here. Did this thread call for the 'best' romance/SoL? Did this thread call for 'realistic' writing?
Nope, you're simply recommending anime to expand the OP's horizons on this genre; nothing more or less.

Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - Yesterday

13 by SleepingBear »»
40 minutes ago

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - 11 hours ago

6 by DMind »»
6 hours ago

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
7 hours ago

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

15 by r3v3l3v3l »»
10 hours ago

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Yesterday

6 by Skuletor »»
Yesterday, 4:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.