Forum Settings
Forums
New
Feb 11, 2013 6:00 PM
Apr 2012
She has never watched anime before and I have one chance to get her to join us. She watches a ton of movies with her favorite genre being thriller and second favorite being drama. Best movie of all time in her opinion was Taxi Driver if that gives you an idea of her tastes. Please help me everyone, I don't wanna screw this up heh.
Feb 11, 2013 6:01 PM

Jun 2012
Perfect Blue

Get her started off with a movie.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Feb 11, 2013 6:05 PM

Sep 2011
He posted exactly what i was going to say, perfect blue is perfect(fucking puns) for this situation.

Also just saying if you even do get her into trying show, rec monster.

Also just saying for a drama rec sword of the stranger, its more of an action than anything but it does have great drama and while not a thriller, it does have thrills. again just shooting blanks here

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 11, 2013 6:07 PM

Aug 2012
Uh... Steins;Gate, but given the first half, it's kind of a long shot.

Mirai Nikki *glares at negative opinions* is a definite recommendation.

Btooom! seems to fit everyone's recs, as usual.
Feb 11, 2013 6:08 PM
Jul 2012
death note
Feb 11, 2013 6:08 PM

Oct 2012
Monster seems like the best rec series wise (yeah yeah, I need to finish this) for drama/psychological

May throw in Mawaru Penguindrum too...

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Feb 11, 2013 6:11 PM

Aug 2012
Tavor said:
Monster seems like the best rec series wise (yeah yeah, I need to finish this) for drama/psychological
I'm 12 episodes in, and the plot grinds to a turtle's pace. Definitely not a rec :
Feb 11, 2013 6:14 PM

Sep 2011
Guy remember the op said movies, i was saying monster for IF she is willing to try out a show in the future. Getting non anime viewers into anime through reccing a show is a bad idea, movies are great cause they are quicker and easier to watch, especially since you can say "hey try out this movie" rather than "hey try out this anime"

And in all honesty we should be saying the former anyways

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Feb 11, 2013 6:15 PM

Oct 2012
MellowJello said:
Tavor said:
I'm 12 episodes in, and the plot grinds to a turtle's pace. Definitely not a rec :

I think I heard episode 15 and beyond is marathon worthy, could be wrong of course.
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Guy remember the op said movies, i was saying monster for IF she is willing to try out a show in the future. Getting non anime viewers into anime through reccing a show is a bad idea, movies are great cause they are quicker and easier to watch, especially since you can say "hey try out this movie" rather than "hey try out this anime"

And in all honesty we should be saying the former anyways

I did say series wise however (if you're referring to me as well...)

Feb 11, 2013 6:15 PM

Jun 2012
MellowJello said:
Tavor said:
It picks up around episode 15-17 or something. It had me skipping lectures and basically shutting myself in my room around episode 25.

I wouldn't recommend a 74 episode series to someone who hasn't watched anime before, plus the beginning is rather slow. However, Monster is as good as it gets.

Feb 11, 2013 6:17 PM
Jan 2013
i posted on this thread but i cant find it oh well

so can anyone give me rec's i just started two weeks ago and i don't know how to use this site properly. so help me along the way please c:
Feb 11, 2013 6:18 PM

Oct 2012
Babii123 said:
i posted on this thread but i cant find it oh well

so can anyone give me rec's i just started two weeks ago and i don't know how to use this site properly. so help me along the way please c:

Wrong place to ask, you're invading.

Try here instead.

Feb 11, 2013 6:18 PM

Sep 2011
Holybaptiser said:
MellowJello said:
Tavor said:
It picks up around episode 15-17 or something. It had me skipping lectures and basically shutting myself in my room around episode 25.

I wouldn't recommend a 74 episode series to someone who hasn't watched anime before, plus the beginning is rather slow. However, Monster is as good as it gets.
I need to rewatch monster before forming my own opinion(I just remember its amazing yet i cant remmeber anything else other than bits and pieces) but I'v heard from a decent number of people that the author's other work 20th century boys is better, not by much but i have heard a good number of people say so and personally speaking 20th century boys moved ALOT quicker than monster did. Try looking into it since like i said its by the same creator and it will likely never get a anime, Though its a bit more comedic than monster, its none the less dark as hell at plenty of moments

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 11, 2013 6:19 PM

Jun 2012
If you're willing to show her something a little more disturbing, you can also show her Paprika. Not as suspenseful as Perfect Blue, but definitely up there.

Feb 11, 2013 6:20 PM

Feb 2010
MellowJello said:
Tavor said:

Well its a 74 episodes series, but yeah it's really slow paced at the start, hell you don't even know what the series is about until like episode 10. It gets really good at 2x

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Holybaptiser said:
MellowJello said:
Tavor said:

I need to rewatch monster before forming my own opinion(I just remember its amazing yet i cant remmeber anything else other than bits and pieces) but I'v heard from a decent number of people that the author's other work 20th century boys is better, not by much but i have heard a good number of people say so and personally speaking 20th century boys moved ALOT quicker than monster did. Try looking into it since like i said its by the same creator and it will likely never get a anime, Though its a bit more comedic than monster, its none the less dark as hell at plenty of moments

I thought 20th CB had a great first half and a mediocre second half, couldn't get myself to finish it.
VanisherFeb 11, 2013 6:27 PM
Feb 11, 2013 6:22 PM
Jan 2013
thank you and how about baccano for you ? if you havent watched it ?
Feb 11, 2013 6:22 PM

Jun 2012
I'v heard from a decent number of people that the author's other work 20th century boys is better

Strictly a matter of opinion. I've read the manga for 20th Century Boys and I didn't find it to be anywhere near as good as the anime for Monster, but honestly, it's so hard to draw comparisons between two different series when they're already on different mediums.

Feb 11, 2013 6:23 PM
Apr 2012
I will watch Perfect Blue later tonight to see if that one looks good for her. As far as a slower starting one I know she would not mind that, however Monster would be too long to start with, I would say around 24 episodes max, though 12ish would probably be better. Thanks for the recommendations so far.
Feb 11, 2013 6:26 PM

Sep 2011
Holybaptiser said:
I'v heard from a decent number of people that the author's other work 20th century boys is better

Strictly a matter of opinion. I've read the manga for 20th Century Boys and I didn't find it to be anywhere near as good as the anime for Monster, but honestly, it's so hard to draw comparisons between two different series when they're already on different mediums.
Subjectivity, just curious how far did you make it? Just asking cause its not on your list

Vanisher said:

I think 20th CB had a great first half and a mediocre second half, couldn't get myself to finish it.
Really? the 2nd half had some of the best twists i have seen in any anime/manga, Though there was one boring section where it focuses on Chouji and these kid characters after the 3rd time skip, though the finale made up for it, though the ending was just kind of ok.
JizzyHitlerFeb 11, 2013 6:29 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 11, 2013 6:27 PM

Jun 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Holybaptiser said:

Subjectivity, just curious how far did you make it? Just saying cause its not on your list
Yeah, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Both my lists are in dire need of a proper update. I've read both of 20th and 21st Century Boys.

Feb 11, 2013 6:30 PM

Sep 2011
Holybaptiser said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Holybaptiser said:

Subjectivity, just curious how far did you make it? Just saying cause its not on your list
Yeah, I've said it before and I'll say it again. Both my lists are in dire need of a proper update. I've read both of 20th and 21st Century Boys.
lol you should jsut say fuck it one day, pop on a playlist and just bumrush your updating. I just said fuck it one day and did that a year ago and it pays off cause it doesnt have a constant build up that gets worse over time.

Anyhow back on topic, anyone think this series might work
http://myanimelist.net/anime/2593/Kara_no_Kyoukai_1:_Fukan_Fuukei

I never finished it(I'll get on it one day) but i felt like the 1st and especially the 2nd had some pretty thriller moments, all the films together are about 18 episodes so i think it could work length wise too

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 11, 2013 6:57 PM

Feb 2010
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:

Vanisher said:

I think 20th CB had a great first half and a mediocre second half, couldn't get myself to finish it.
Really? the 2nd half had some of the best twists i have seen in any anime/manga, Though there was one boring section where it focuses on Chouji and these kid characters after the 3rd time skip, though the finale made up for it, though the ending was just kind of ok.

I think i actually dropped it there :p. I think it dragged a bit too much, though im not fond of long series so maybe it's just me.
Feb 12, 2013 6:36 AM
Apr 2012
Watched Perfect Blue last night, and I dunno, it was ok but nothing special. I don't think it was good enough to get her hooked.
Feb 12, 2013 6:52 AM

Sep 2012
EVB said:
Watched Perfect Blue last night, and I dunno, it was ok but nothing special. I don't think it was good enough to get her hooked.

Try Phantom:Requiem for the phantom
Feb 12, 2013 10:22 AM

Apr 2009
EVB said:

:/

Well, when she's up for a longer series, Monster is the best choice.

Paprika can seem to be out-there but is a fantastic thriller.
Death Note is a good into for anime newbies, very popular and a decent thriller.
Gankutsuou: the Count of Monte Cristo is very good, but after the first episode (which definitely hooked me) there are for or five eps where nothing much seems to happen. Then the intrigue starts.
Baccano! is full of action and mystery. However it's a marathon anime for at least the first three eps because the storytelling jumps around a bit. After that things make sense.
Feb 12, 2013 10:56 AM
Apr 2012
Sweetpea said:
EVB said:

:/

Well, when she's up for a longer series, Monster is the best choice.

Paprika can seem to be out-there but is a fantastic thriller.
Death Note is a good into for anime newbies, very popular and a decent thriller.
Gankutsuou: the Count of Monte Cristo is very good, but after the first episode (which definitely hooked me) there are for or five eps where nothing much seems to happen. Then the intrigue starts.
Baccano! is full of action and mystery. However it's a marathon anime for at least the first three eps because the storytelling jumps around a bit. After that things make sense.

Checking out Paprika as soon as it finishes downloading. I may end up settling on showing her Death Note if I can't find anything else, though I'm worried about her zoning out during the weaker second half. I am also considering throwing the thriller idea out of the window and showing her 5 Centimeters per Second.
Feb 12, 2013 10:58 AM

Jan 2012
>ctrl + f "nisemono"
>0 results
Disappointing, all of you.
Feb 12, 2013 11:02 AM

Jun 2012
Well, I don't know if you're trying to show her something you like and think she would like as well or putting aside your own taste and showing her something she might like.

Ask yourself the question, "do we like the same kind of stories?" And ask yourself how much you like thrillers.

Perfect Blue and Paprika are top tier movies when it comes to suspense.

Anyways, I second the notion that you show her Death Note. It's the definition of "entry level."
HolybaptiserFeb 12, 2013 11:05 AM

Feb 12, 2013 11:09 AM

Jun 2010
Bible Black. Someone had to.
Feb 12, 2013 12:30 PM

Sep 2011
Holybaptiser said:
Well, I don't know if you're trying to show her something you like and think she would like as well or putting aside your own taste and showing her something she might like.
I agree with this, you should be showing it to your sister not deciding for yourself whats good and what isnt

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 12, 2013 12:39 PM

Oct 2012
Death Note
Feb 12, 2013 1:36 PM

Oct 2009
bNq said:
>ctrl + f "nisemono"
>0 results

"Have you brush your teeth?"
I can do that for you...

On the recommendation, I want to offer something different.
How about Sword of the Stranger?
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Feb 12, 2013 1:46 PM

Sep 2011
bNq said:
>ctrl + f "nisemono"
>0 results
That is possibly the worst possible suggestion to give to someone to get them into anime, it doesnt come down to quality but simply how weird and how outright peverted it is would be the ultimate turn off from anime in general. Just cause a anime is good doesnt mean its a good gateway anime

Same for everything else, like for example hitman blood money is a great game, but its a awful thing to show to someone as a gateway game

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 12, 2013 1:47 PM
Apr 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Holybaptiser said:
I agree with this, you should be showing it to your sister not deciding for yourself whats good and what isnt

Yea but this is probably the only chance I will get to convince her to watch more anime. So I don't wanna pick the wrong thing.
Feb 12, 2013 1:49 PM

Sep 2011
EVB said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Holybaptiser said:

Yea but this is probably the only chance I will get to convince her to watch more anime. So I don't wanna pick the wrong thing.
Just try to avoid shoving it down her thoat, if shes not interested dont even try. The reason people like bronies and anime fans get such bad names is by how they have to shove their fandom down others throats to the point where they dont ever want to touch it.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 12, 2013 1:53 PM

Jun 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Just try to avoid shoving it down her thoat, if shes not interested dont even try. The reason people like bronies and anime fans get such bad names is by how they have to shove their fandom down others throats to the point where they dont ever want to touch it.

Ever have one of your friends try to have you listen to a song, but you could care less then their persistence gets so annoying that you want to punch them in the face?

Yeah, it works just as well with anime.

Feb 12, 2013 1:56 PM

Jan 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Just cause a anime is good doesnt mean its a good gateway anime
Yes, that's exactly what it means. I'm assuming of course the person in question here has some kind of decent taste, these people usually are able to grasp the beauty of monogatari. Two friends of mine actually started with Bakemono (nise wasn't out yet) and of course they were confused a bit at first, but they soon could adapt to it and cherish it as the gem it is.

You don't have to show people some shitty entry level stuff to get them into anime, at least if you hope for them to develop some kind of decent taste. Bakemonogatari gave my friends at least something they didn't see in live action stuff thus far, and therefore really got them thrilled after a short while and hooked on anime in general.

I wasn't quite serious with Nisemono obviously though, someone just had to say it. Bakemonogatari would be the way to go, otherwise I actually agree, it'd be too confusing.
Feb 12, 2013 1:59 PM

Jun 2012
bNq said:
I wasn't quite serious with Nisemono obviously though, someone just had to say it. Bakemonogatari would be the way to go, otherwise I actually agree, it'd be too confusing.
I don't think that the problem would be that it's confusing, but rather that you need to watch Bake first, and the anime is extremely ecchi with tooth brush rape/sex scenes and incestuous undertones. It would fortify the prejudice that most people have of anime being cartoon porn.

Feb 12, 2013 2:05 PM

Sep 2011
bNq said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Just cause a anime is good doesnt mean its a good gateway anime
Yes, that's exactly what it means. I'm assuming of course the person in question here has some kind of decent taste, these people usually are able to grasp the beauty of monogatari. Two friends of mine actually started with Bakemono (nise wasn't out yet) and of course they were confused a bit at first, but they soon could adapt to it and cherish it as the gem it is.

You don't have to show people some shitty entry level stuff to get them into anime, at least if you hope for them to develop some kind of decent taste. Bakemonogatari gave my friends at least something they didn't see in live action stuff thus far, and therefore really got them thrilled after a short while and hooked on anime in general.

See the key word was "YOUR FRIENDS", you cant generalize with what your friends do to some complete stranger casual you never met and likely never will meet. The reason your friends have a higher chance of liking that was cause you guys would have to share some similar interests to that of you and naturally would be a bit more comfortable with getting into the show than others

Also not all entry level anime are bad, thats just ignorant to think that. Just cause things like bleach and code geass have very poor track records especially since there are differant gateway animes than others, and for thriller bakemonogatari is far from one, go watch a movie like Rear window or a Hitchkock movie, those are thrillers, now comapre them to bakemonogatari, in comparison BM looks more like a comedy/parody than a thriller as well a sbe a huge turn off from its blatent ecchi moments that only get more frequent as the show goes on to even divulge into outright nudity which to a casual female like op's sister will likley be turned off by cause the monogatari series does not help the stereotype that all anime is peverted

As said before, it is possibly one of the worst things to show to someone as a gateway anime. What the op needs to show to his sister is something thats more serious and if theres comedy it should be less immature and more on the dark comedy/witty side, doesnt rely on blatant fanservice and has suspense. It wouldnt need all of that in one but still its best to be looking for.

Also op i suggest getting something with a good dub Since thats more appealing to watch something in your native language than read subs the entire time to someone that likley isnt used to that, Baccano may be a great pick, its short, has the best dub ever, doesnt follow stereotypes, and is pretty western.
JizzyHitlerFeb 12, 2013 2:11 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 12, 2013 2:10 PM

Jan 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
See the key word was "YOUR FRIENDS", you cant generalize with what your friends do to some complete stranger casual you never met and likely never will meet. The reason your friends have a higher chance of liking that was cause you guys would have to share some similar interests to that of you and naturally would be a bit more comfortable with getting into the show than others
But it's ok for you to generalize and say that it's a bad gateway anime, because... well because you say so?

>Rear window or a Hitchkock movie, those are thrillers, now comapre them to bakemonogatari, in comparison BM looks more like a comedy/parody than a thriller

Yeah, I should've stopped bothering with you at that ridiculous gaming analogy earlier already. Feel free to have the last word if you like.
Feb 12, 2013 2:14 PM

Sep 2011
bNq said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
But it's ok for you to generalize and say that it's a bad gateway anime, because... well because you say so?

>Rear window or a Hitchkock movie, those are thrillers, now comapre them to bakemonogatari, in comparison BM looks more like a comedy/parody than a thriller

Yeah, I should've stopped bothering with you at that ridiculous gaming analogy earlier already. Feel free to have the last word if you like.
Yes its ok for me to generalize because i use a little word called "Likley"(I'm going more with what the higher probability would be rather than just go off faith in my fandom like you) as well as admit things that are more fitting from the op's description than just whatever i think personally is good

For example the one i think is a perfect rec for this was perfect blue.....I dont really like perfect blue much, what your doing it just building up a show that you really like not really using your head as to how someone else who ahsnt been so well adjusted to the tropes and feel of something like anime will view it

This thread isnt about what we like and how we should shove its "greatness" down the throat of a casual cause our friends can recognize its "genius". Its about trying to find the right thing to show to a casual based off info from the op regardless of its subjective quality in our eyes.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 12, 2013 2:17 PM

Oct 2012
Eh, at times like this, I wish the person in question would just write what they want to see. Not saying she has to make a MAL account, but at least she could of written down some specific things she wouldn't mind watching, as well as what she doesn't want to see...

Feb 12, 2013 2:19 PM

Sep 2011
Tavor said:
Eh, at times like this, I wish the person in question would just write what they want to see. Not saying she has to make a MAL account, but at least she could of written down some specific things she wouldn't mind watching, as well as what she doesn't want to see...
You know op you could just ask her t put down things she likes through your account.

Though that comes off kind of awkward to me, And as said earlier I kind of get the vibes you might be trying to shove it down her throat a bit which is never in any circumstance a good idea.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 12, 2013 2:40 PM
Apr 2012
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
What the op needs to show to his sister is something thats more serious and if theres comedy it should be less immature and more on the dark comedy/witty side, doesnt rely on blatant fanservice and has suspense. It wouldnt need all of that in one but still its best to be looking for.

Also op i suggest getting something with a good dub Since thats more appealing to watch something in your native language than read subs the entire time to someone that likley isnt used to that, Baccano may be a great pick, its short, has the best dub ever, doesnt follow stereotypes, and is pretty western.

That description is exactly what i'm looking for heh. However I don't need a dub because she loves watching foreign films with subtitles already.
Feb 12, 2013 2:47 PM

Oct 2012
Ergo Proxy is rather serious and psychological. Very little comedy is featured and features little to none fan-service.

Feb 12, 2013 3:26 PM

Sep 2011
Ok thats good if she doesnt need dubs, that does make things alot easier to fidn that fit. Anyhow my rec sitll stands that Baccano would be a good fit, especially if your sister has ever liked a tarintino film. Not because of my previous statement but if you do show her Baccano make sure its dub, more than any series watching that in any other language just feels......wrong.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Feb 12, 2013 6:14 PM

Nov 2007
Basically everyone's been saying this without actually saying it:

ANYTHING by Satoshi Kon.

He's the master of awesome drama and thriller. Millennium Actress is phenomenal, though more on the drama end. And yes, Perfect Blue is the quintessential smart thriller (though you've already ruled that one out).

Other movies that might work:

Memories (series of three shorts. The space one with the word "Rose" in the title is the one to watch, ignore the other two)
Princess Mononoke (It's more fantasy, but serious and with good action drama)
Kara no Kyoukai 1 (Weird but drama and thriller-y)
Kakurenbo (Suspense/thriller fantasy)
Ghost in the Shell (I hated it, but it's drama and highbrow/arty)
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (Not as much a drama or a thriller, but interesting time travel piece with some dramatic elements)
5 Centimeters Per Second (Drama with an interesting backdrop)
The Place Promised in Our Early Days (Drama with an interesting backdrop)
TsumayoujiFeb 12, 2013 6:17 PM
Feb 12, 2013 6:36 PM

Aug 2012
Let us know what she picks/enjoyed, I'm curious what newcomers enjoy when they're first introduced.
Feb 15, 2013 1:58 PM
Aug 2012
Thriller? I can really recommend Mirai Nikki.

I introduced this to my friends and they all like it

First episodes might be boring but trust me this is worth watching
animewatcher123Feb 15, 2013 2:03 PM

More topics from this board

» Recommend me an anime based on my favorites!

iamnottesslol - Apr 21

11 by windyshadow »»
2 hours ago

» Anime recommendations please

MeZaDefined - Yesterday

1 by Zarutaku »»
4 hours ago

» Anime that have all female guilds/clubs/groups/living places, etc

GakutoDeathGlare - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
6 hours ago

» Similar animes to Tengoku Daimakyou ( 1 2 )

Salvaged - Apr 21

71 by rikkaheh »»
9 hours ago

» Watched one episode but forgot the name

Snailsoup - Yesterday

2 by Snailsoup »»
Yesterday, 8:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.