Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 9, 2013 7:18 PM

May 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn that was an amazing episode, to actually know the other side of the accident was quite sad actually... maybe she can forgive him now and maybe tell him about the accident! Still an amazing episode and Rick found something more out of Moly's identity! Amazing episode, lets see what's next!
Jun 5, 2014 8:39 PM

Sep 2013
Molly is fucking pissed and for good reason, but she's being to reckless.

Rick figured it out.

Spirit didn't do it like they thought, I guess he shared his memories with her.

I wonder what they will do about their racer?

So the Avatar can bring back a life :O
Feb 13, 2015 11:15 PM

Aug 2013
Since this is a show targeted towards children, I am going to assume that Spirit showed Eva the truth behind Maya's death rather than brainwashing her there and then with fabricated memories.

What Don Wei revealed to Rick at the end regarding the ultimate prize was nothing new, but now I know that there are no real consequences for losing in this race. Earth seems safe, for now.
Jun 13, 2015 10:03 AM

Feb 2013
Shame on Molly for attacking Spirit. Shame on Spirit for blocking her view and making her crash. Spirit doesn't seem "evil" but he's no saint either.
Mar 23, 2019 6:02 AM

Jul 2015
Holy damn this episode, it got me close to tear up after Spirit cried for what happened, a good amount of characters grew more on me after this.
Dec 31, 2020 4:28 PM
Dec 2019
An emotional episode that actually worked. However the twists and dramatic tension in this series are built on plot holes. What father wouldn't recognize his own daughter? Also, they would have conducted an investigation into the cause of the mom's death and determined that it was engine failure, not foul play by Spirit. Then there's the fact that ultimate power is being competed for in a race.

It doesn't really matter what Don Wei went through because his daughter had it much worse, so his grief is in no way a good excuse for his behavior either towards his daughter or towards a girl who's currently keeping the hopes of planet Earth alive. They're going to do a redemption arc for him where he softens up, but to me unless he gets on his knees and begs for forgiveness it's not going to be enough.
Jun 5, 2021 8:57 AM

Apr 2009
Recynon said:
What father wouldn't recognize his own daughter?

This is the biggest issue for the series. Very unrealistic. She had to be like 3 years old for him not to recognize her, yet still she's remind him of her mother.

Recynon said:
Also, they would have conducted an investigation into the cause of the mom's death and determined that it was engine failure, not foul play by Spirit. Then there's the fact that ultimate power is being competed for in a race.

It's not easy to find the reason of something exploding, since you know, it's gone. Spirit did completely cover her, so no footage would be seen from the outside. Even if it's an accident, it's a lot easier to blame an alien that has powers you don't know about.
Jun 5, 2021 9:28 AM
Dec 2019
jTiKey said:

It's not easy to find the reason of something exploding, since you know, it's gone. Spirit did completely cover her, so no footage would be seen from the outside. Even if it's an accident, it's a lot easier to blame an alien that has powers you don't know about.

True but they would have still done the investigation and come up with an official cause of death. In the midst of that investigation Spirit would have had to testify as to what happened in which case he would have given the same testimony he gave Molly.

Also the biggest issue with this series is actually how they handle the father-daughter relationship and the plothole is only the second biggest issue.
Jun 5, 2021 4:59 PM

Apr 2009
Recynon said:
jTiKey said:

True but they would have still done the investigation and come up with an official cause of death. In the midst of that investigation Spirit would have had to testify as to what happened in which case he would have given the same testimony he gave Molly.

Also the biggest issue with this series is actually how they handle the father-daughter relationship and the plothole is only the second biggest issue.

I agree that they should've give more details but I can a lot of ways where there would be no 100% answer for what happened.

Yeah, their relationship was handled well.
Jun 5, 2021 5:12 PM
Dec 2019
jTiKey said:

I agree that they should've give more details but I can a lot of ways where there would be no 100% answer for what happened.

Yeah, their relationship was handled well.

Well, Spirit gave her his version of the events and she accepted it, which means if they did the investigation and reported what he just told her, she would've believed it too. Which means she had no idea what the official cause of failure was to begin with, and official cause of failure doesn't mean they knew 100% certain, it just means they came up with the most likely explanation.

Their relationship was not handled well, as I explained. Her father was in the wrong the entire time, had a poor reason for doing what he did both in the past and in the present, and then he decides to actually take care of his daughter after the series finale. I don't even recall him having much regret over what he did after finding out about Molly so it just seems like he decided to go back to his daughter for no reason, or at least because she had to come and get him. The show shouldn't have been about Molly appealing to him, but entirely about him earning her forgiveness over the course of 26 episodes.
Jan 10, 6:16 PM
Mar 2019
Father hasn't smiled once.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Oban Star-Racers Episode 1 Discussion

Haine - Apr 26, 2014

4 by forbiddenspiral »»
Apr 11, 6:57 PM

Poll: » Oban Star-Racers Episode 26 Discussion

vizhmaster_vizhu - Jul 23, 2011

13 by bushman66 »»
Jan 12, 11:05 AM

Poll: » Oban Star-Racers Episode 25 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - Feb 10, 2013

4 by bushman66 »»
Jan 12, 11:03 AM

Poll: » Oban Star-Racers Episode 24 Discussion

4 by bushman66 »»
Jan 12, 11:02 AM

Poll: » Oban Star-Racers Episode 23 Discussion

4 by bushman66 »»
Jan 12, 11:02 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.