Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 3, 2013 4:54 AM

Oct 2012
BloodRequiem said:
@ Ducat

Too generous with ratings.

Suggestion: Shiki

Thanks for the suggestion. I've planned to watch Shiki, but it's not a high priority.

I'm actually good with my scoring system. 10s - 9s are the ones I like. My 8s vary. 7s - 1s are one that I don't really care for. I'm base 8, not base 5 (like most people).
Feb 3, 2013 5:01 AM

Jan 2013
Ducat_Revel:

> Although, could my judge(s) recommend me anime afterwards? I'm looking for something after I crown LOGH as my 100th anime title.
I'll recommend some - to watch My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War movies before going into the series... which means it wouldn't be your 100th after all. Sorry! ;)

On your rating system: while the concept is not bad, you should realize there's no half points, and trying to force them in just bloated your 9s and 8s, leaving you with nothing to show on the lower scores. A good example of this is C, which by your own admittance it dreadful; it should have gotten a much lower score, but then again, so should many of your rated series.
I don't have much to say on the series you watched, but do believe you should spread down the list.
My favorite genres: good Quality, better Quality, best Quality, Über-Quality.
Scoring criteria: Existence does not precede Essence.

Current status: OFFLINE. Even if not really.
I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Feb 3, 2013 5:07 AM

Oct 2012
Maegil said:
Ducat_Revel:

> Although, could my judge(s) recommend me anime afterwards? I'm looking for something after I crown LOGH as my 100th anime title.
I'll recommend some - to watch My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War movies before going into the series... which means it wouldn't be your 100th after all. Sorry! ;)

On your rating system: while the concept is not bad, you should realize there's no half points, and trying to force them in just bloated your 9s and 8s, leaving you with nothing to show on the lower scores. A good example of this is C, which by your own admittance it dreadful; it should have gotten a much lower score, but then again, so should many of your rated series.
I don't have much to say on the series you watched, but do believe you should spread down the list.

I've already done that. I just haven't jotted it down on MAL. For example C receives a 3, Mawaru Penguindrum gets a 6, Kino's Journey is still 8, Katanagatari gets a 7, Clannad gets a 4, Afterstory a 5, and Legend of Duo gets -100000. My high ratings are mainly for show. I don't want to give the impression that I think there are only so little anime that I like. I'd much rather people think I like way too many shows. And apparently it's working. :D

And no. I'll crown LOGH as 100th. My Conquest Is the Sea of Stars and Overture to a New War come after. I'm stubborn that way. I apologize.
Feb 3, 2013 5:13 AM

Jun 2012
Personally I switched to using 5 as average score after realizing what I was looking in other anime lists - honest thoughts about a series. If one's rating are too high or too low they don't really reflect that and I can't tell his tastes and bias versus certain series..

I rated Kuttsukiboshi a 2 even though I liked it though lol
Feb 3, 2013 5:30 AM

Jan 2013
For me, since the 1-10 spread is even, a 5 is a lower average, and a 6 an upper average series. If my mean is above that, it's not because I overrate, but rather because I'm picky and try to aim for the better ones. Thus, anything from 5 down was a nasty surprise.

In any case, will someone please judge me? I'm actually curious on what others may think of my taste, and if I'm fit to judge others at all.

I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Feb 3, 2013 5:31 AM

Oct 2012
Valkyrion said:
Personally I switched to using 5 as average score after realizing what I was looking in other anime lists - honest thoughts about a series. If one's rating are too high or too low they don't really reflect that and I can't tell his tastes and bias versus certain series..

I rated Kuttsukiboshi a 2 even though I liked it though lol

I see your point. It does obscure the taste of the person if he keeps on rating things highly. But I also think this is mainly because I still haven't watched enough anime and the ones I have watched (a large chunk of them) are relatively good. I'll get back to this after I finish 250 titles (hopefully I watch more generic bland anime by then), and if my list is still confusing then I'll switch to base 5.

Thanks for the advice though. It really got me thinking.
Feb 3, 2013 6:13 AM

Feb 2012
Maegil said:
Zylixae:
You obviously put some thought into your scores, score individual seasons of the same season on their own merits, and don't get carried away by trends. While making use of the whole scoring spectrum, I did found your list to be a bit top-heavy, but still within the limits of acceptable.
In general, yours is a pretty good list.

Thanks for the reply. I think so too tbh. I was often enough on the verge of just decreasing every score by 1 and limit my 10's to top10 or top5. I'll see what Aria the Origination does to my philosophy.

Thou shall keep judging my list.
Feb 3, 2013 7:26 AM

Jan 2013
@maegil I'd like to know why you gave tiger and bunny the same score as the sweaty nerd pandering garbage princess lover. Really? I admit to not recognizing quite a few of your titles, but it seems like you have a habit of rating fanservice shows too highly ( kiss x siss, chuu bra, high school of the dead, elfen lied etc) too highly. Other than that I approve!
Feb 3, 2013 7:49 AM

Jan 2013
b1uebird said:
@maegil I'd like to know why you gave tiger and bunny the same score as the sweaty nerd pandering garbage princess lover. Really? I admit to not recognizing quite a few of your titles, but it seems like you have a habit of rating fanservice shows too highly ( kiss x siss, chuu bra, high school of the dead, elfen lied etc) too highly. Other than that I approve!
I rate series not only for their content, but also for their technical production values - the content still weights heavily on the score, though. BTW, I should point out that Chuu Bra isn't a fanservice series, but an educational one, for girls.
Princess lover - It's a mistake... I actually mistook it for the homonymous hentai, which I also rate on their own merits.

Feb 3, 2013 8:23 AM

Jan 2013
Chuu bra most certainly is fanservice, I find it incredibly dishonest to claim otherwise. I'll disagree with taking production values into any serious rating account. A polished turd is still a turd. Edit: for clarification regarding visuals, I don't mean to say they can't add to the quality of a show. I only mean if the content is objectionable it doesn't make it any less shot if the production values are high.
b1uebirdFeb 3, 2013 8:39 AM
Feb 3, 2013 4:07 PM

Nov 2011
b1uebird said:
I'll disagree with taking production values into any serious rating account. A polished turd is still a turd. Edit: for clarification regarding visuals, I don't mean to say they can't add to the quality of a show. I only mean if the content is objectionable it doesn't make it any less shot if the production values are high.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. I mean, I'm even an illustrator/animator and I think production values don't mean anything if the story/content isn't there.

And from what I've read of Chuu Bra, I think it's still just fanservice pandering in the guise of being educational. I went and looked at what else that author writes- It's ALL ecchi seinen. ALL OF HIS/HER WORKS. That should tell you something.

I have a feeling you like fanservice stuff more than you're willing to admit, Maegil.
AmberlehFeb 3, 2013 4:13 PM
Feb 6, 2013 3:07 PM

Sep 2012
Someone judge my taste in anime.
Feb 6, 2013 3:42 PM
Superior

Apr 2008
2_Steps_Ahead said:

Poor. Your tastes are solely based in nostalgia and you watch anime you know you'll hate just to inflate the irrelevant numbers MAL hands you (I'd wager you didn't even complete DBZ, you just "saw enough" of it).

As an anime fan, your relevance would have peaked in the early 2000s (but you weren't watching back then, were you?). Everything since then has simply shown you to be unable to relate to the shows of the day due to your incessant belief that anime hipsterism is the way of the future.

0/10.
Feb 6, 2013 9:05 PM

Sep 2012
Poor. Your tastes are solely based in nostalgia and you watch anime you know you'll hate just to inflate the irrelevant numbers MAL hands you (I'd wager you didn't even complete DBZ, you just "saw enough" of it).
As an anime fan, your relevance would have peaked in the early 2000s (but you weren't watching back then, were you?). Everything since then has simply shown you to be unable to relate to the shows of the day due to your incessant belief that anime hipsterism is the way of the future.
0/10.
^Thanks for enlightment ^_^
I will follow you and your amazing tastes in anime and will find nirvana
oh wait code geass r2 10/10
HOTD ova 10/10
Nah.
Feb 6, 2013 9:33 PM

Nov 2011
DarkSageRK said:
2_Steps_Ahead said:

0/10.

This was unnecessarily mean. In this club we are sarcastic in our uber-elitist ways and aren't ACTUALLY mean. You should read the previous comments in this thread and note that it is either REALLY obvious we're being sarcastic/joking or we're relatively nice.
Feb 6, 2013 9:42 PM

Aug 2009
In addition to being unnecessarily mean, as Amber put it, it was presumptuous. hipsterism, nostalgia, an anime fan relevance(?) and other baseless assumptions...unwitty regardless of whether it was meant to be taken seriously or not.
metamorphiusFeb 6, 2013 9:53 PM
Feb 6, 2013 11:26 PM
Superior

Apr 2008
Amberleh said:

This was unnecessarily mean. In this club we are sarcastic in our uber-elitist ways and aren't ACTUALLY mean. You should read the previous comments in this thread and note that it is either REALLY obvious we're being sarcastic/joking or we're relatively nice.

I was under the impression people wanted honest opinions instead of a circlejerk masquerading as critique. I was wrong, and I most humbly apologize.

metamorphius said:
In addition to being unnecessarily mean, as Amber put it, it was presumptuous. hipsterism, nostalgia, an anime fan relevance(?) and other baseless assumptions...unwitty regardless of whether it was meant to be taken seriously or not.

Oh, I was being serious. Wasn't playing at sarcasm or wit -- just honesty.
Feb 6, 2013 11:28 PM

Apr 2012
DarkSageRK said:
Amberleh said:

I was under the impression people wanted honest opinions instead of a circlejerk masquerading as critique. I was wrong, and I most humbly apologize.

If honest opinions sound like a circlejerk to you then you really need to go to a sex counselor.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Feb 6, 2013 11:37 PM

Nov 2011
DarkSageRK said:
Amberleh said:

metamorphius said:

You can give an honest opinion without personally insulting someone. There is a difference between insulting one's taste and insulting them.
Feb 6, 2013 11:57 PM

Sep 2012
Amberleh said:
DarkSageRK said:
Amberleh said:

metamorphius said:

You can give an honest opinion without personally insulting someone. There is a difference between insulting one's taste and insulting them.

He is probably mad on my tags for Code geass series in my animelist(CG is his fav anime)
Mar 29, 2013 7:19 AM

Jun 2009
What do you people think of my impeccable taste? *prepares flame shields*
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 29, 2013 7:28 AM

Dec 2012
insan3soldiern said:
What do you people think of my impeccable taste? *prepares flame shields*

Your taste is pretty top tier.
Though, I've never seen a guy with so much hentai on his list...
Mar 29, 2013 7:33 AM

Feb 2012
Great taste imo. You use the full scale of mal to rate with a 5/6 as mean. Favorites are reasonable and mostly agreeable and all genres are represented on your list. I haven't seen LoTGH but we can agree your other top ratings are fine. Aside from 87.1% there isn't much to discuss for me because your list style doesn't encourage me to analyze it all. To be honest I used http://mal.oko.im/insan3soldiern to get a faster overview.
Many shows on your list that I have to watch sooner or later as well.
Mar 29, 2013 7:43 AM

Dec 2012
me me me
Mar 29, 2013 7:56 AM

Oct 2012
tsudecimo said:
me me me

FMA: Brotherhood gets a 7 but KHR has a 9? For shame! Re-educate your taste!

And you dropped F/Z? I cannot. I cannot even.
Mar 29, 2013 7:58 AM

Dec 2012
Ducat_Revel said:
tsudecimo said:
me me me

FMA: Brotherhood gets a 7 but KHR has a 9? For shame! Re-educate your taste!

And you dropped F/Z? I cannot. I cannot even.

Yes master :/ .
Mar 29, 2013 8:00 AM

Sep 2012
Do me!

I'll let you guys go to town and rip me a new one with my absolute vile shit taste :)
Mar 29, 2013 8:03 AM

Oct 2012
Red_Keys said:
Do me!

I'll let you guys go to town and rip me a new one with my absolute vile shit taste :)

That sounds so wrong, you have no idea.

Anyway, too many 10s. Be a bit tougher on anime. :D
Mar 29, 2013 8:04 AM

Dec 2012
Red_Keys said:
Do me!

Your taste is decent. But, it could be better.

But dropping Inferno Cop?
Why would you neglect something so high class?
Mar 29, 2013 8:05 AM

Dec 2012
Out of curiosity, how do you guys find my tastes?

Feel free to give any criticism you want.
Mar 29, 2013 8:09 AM

Dec 2012
VentusCross said:
Out of curiosity, how do you guys find my tastes?

Feel free to give any criticism you want.

>Dragon ball z 7
> TTGL 9
You disgust me
Mar 29, 2013 9:23 AM

Dec 2011
you can do me, just keep in mind that I have a lengthy PTW list in an actual notebook and i'm too lazy to mass-update my MAL with it.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
Mar 29, 2013 9:43 AM

Oct 2012
Eckilsax

Your scores are way too high. Exaggeratedly so for some shows.

Toradora > Cowboy Bebop, Welcome to the NHK, and Princess Tutu?

The scales of quality are tipped in favor for a lot of "mainstream" good shows and "mainstream" deep psychological shows. You have to tilt your taste towards the objectively better shows a bit more. Also, if you want some real depth in your anime, try the works of Mamoru Oshii.
Ducat_RevelMar 29, 2013 9:49 AM
Mar 29, 2013 10:04 AM

Dec 2011
Ducat_Revel said:
Eckilsax

Your scores are way too high. Exaggeratedly so for some shows.

Toradora > Cowboy Bebop, Welcome to the NHK, and Princess Tutu?

The scales of quality are tipped in favor for a lot of "mainstream" good shows and "mainstream" deep psychological shows. You have to tilt your taste towards the objectively better shows a bit more. Also, if you want some real depth in your anime, try the works of Mamoru Oshii.

the 'scale tipping' you are referring to in this instance is only a 1 point difference. Toradora and Cowboy Bebop are apples and oranges but they're both top-tier. I thought about giving Bebop a 9 but settled for 8 due to a few bad episodes and an emotional disconnect with the characters.
Mar 29, 2013 10:08 AM

Dec 2011
as for Mamoru Oshii... i'm planning to watch Ghost at some point, the thing holding me back is I find the character designs and overall look of the show to be kind of ugly. it's a superficial reason, not proud of it, and I'm sure i'm in the minority there.
Mar 29, 2013 10:28 AM

Oct 2012
Eckilsax said:
as for Mamoru Oshii... i'm planning to watch Ghost at some point, the thing holding me back is I find the character designs and overall look of the show to be kind of ugly. it's a superficial reason, not proud of it, and I'm sure i'm in the minority there.

I actually loved the more mature look of Ghost. In fact, I like it more than GITS:SAC's. It fits the intelligence and complexity of the anime. Plus, the action in it is smooth like butter. A really good movie.

>And about the points

1 point out of 10 makes a big difference. My 7s are no where close to my 8s (except Steins;Gate and Gunbuster which will probably swap scores). Point is, in my eye, each point counts. It shows what kind of shows exist in a certain level.

-just swapped my scores for Gunbuster and S;G. I feel better now-
Ducat_RevelMar 29, 2013 10:33 AM
Mar 29, 2013 10:28 AM

Nov 2011
If I may add, Eck- PLEASE change your background image, or change the color of your numbers to white. I have to highlight your list to read it and that is never good.
Mar 29, 2013 10:40 AM

Dec 2011
amber, if you just enlarge your browser, the image will be on the right, leaving red text on a black background, easy to read.
Mar 29, 2013 10:42 AM

Nov 2011
It's not the red text I have a problem with. It's your black score numbers. They are on top of the black background as well.
Mar 29, 2013 10:42 AM

Dec 2011
ducat, i was actually talking about SAC, not the movie. i rarely like anime movies, i like my anime serialized. i'm sure i will watch SAC eventually, but things like that girl's purple suit? so fugly...

-edit-

fixed the list, hope it's easier to read now.
EckilsaxMar 29, 2013 10:51 AM
Mar 29, 2013 10:52 AM

Oct 2012
The major's suit is tight and amazing. Never have I seen an anime character so sexualized yet so badass. She's on top of the badass hierarchy. Like, at the pinnacle.

And SAC isn't by Oshii. It doesn't have his kind of intelligence. Not to say SAC isn't intelligent. It is! But not in the same way as the movie. Which is awesome. You need to blast a hole in the preferential perspective limiter of yours and start watching more anime movies.
Mar 29, 2013 10:58 AM

Dec 2011
good to know. when i hear people talk about Ghost, they mainly seem to talk about SAC. I assumed it was by the same creator. my opinion on the Major, well, i have none. not judging her character, i just think the outfit choice is really bad. reason i don't watch a lot of anime movies is I have a hard time investing in characters especially in a short amount of time. which is why almost all anime movies I've seen are continuations of existing franchises.
Mar 29, 2013 11:03 AM

Oct 2012
So investment is based on time with you? I'll see if I can change this. Watch Tsumiki no Ie and tell me if that'll still be the case. It's just 12 minutes long but god was I invested. Go check it.
Mar 29, 2013 11:25 AM

Dec 2011
That was really good. didn't think i'd get anything more than a vague sense of melancholy, but it struck a chord, particularly because I've had a grandparent going through alzheimers and observed how much harder and harder it became for them to access important memories. i'm sure there's other interpretations though.
Mar 29, 2013 11:28 AM

Sep 2012
Another 9/10 for that short I see.
Mar 29, 2013 11:57 AM

Feb 2012
I want to join in on the fun! Rate my ratings pl0x.
Mar 29, 2013 12:05 PM

Jan 2008
^The score of Deadman Wonderland is a bit high and seeing Reborn in your favorites was a shock to me, but that aside you have pretty good taste.
Use your brain before using your keyboard!
Mar 29, 2013 12:15 PM

Feb 2012
Junchi said:
^The score of Deadman Wonderland is a bit high and seeing Reborn in your favorites was a shock to me, but that aside you have pretty good taste.

Deadman Wonderland is my "Dirty little secret" It's the one score I give based solely on enjoyment.
Mar 29, 2013 12:54 PM

Feb 2012
SaekoBusu said:
I want to join in on the fun! Rate my ratings pl0x.

Using the full scale, +1. Personally I didn't like Monster but it's regarded highly enough. Most other top scores seem fine, good taste here. F/Z seems a bit low though maybe it's like Monster for me. You're on a good way with Aria. :)

Do me who wants.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (24) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM

» Spring 2023 Overview

Deago - Mar 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Mar 14, 2023 8:25 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.