Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 27 Discussion

Mar 2, 2018 11:04 AM

Fire13rin said:

I can definitely see why it could off as boring to others. And honestly, it came off that way some of the times for me.

Yeah, I think fewer episodes would have been better, some parts seemed tedious and annoyed and just seemed to drag on and on. I found the final episodes as the most unpleasable and boring even though for most, it was the most 'epic' part. I was simply just ready for the series to end, not because I didn't like it but I felt like it was trying to drag on.

Roosiu was definitely and still probably the most practical character which is actually really strange as seeing a practical character in a crazy world. Though everyone was first made very childish as Gainax wasn't expecting the anime to be popular and they originally meant it to just be a simple fun and silly show.
I think the guards listened because they were just guards. They didn't (probably) get an insight into the actual situation and so, they though just like the rest of the public and saw Simon as a threat. Thus they followed the best next thing, Roosiu who was going to get rid of the 'problem'

Yeah, the whole galaxy thing was quite a stretch. I understand that even though it was 'just an anime' that excuse can only cover so much for poor executed logical reasoning. I found it exciting to see what big thing would happen next but when we reached the final stage during the whole final boss fight, it was just.....I can't really describe the feeling. It was just weird and I didn't find it as enjoyable as most, I guess, I wasn't really sure what was going on since the poor logic used. For most fans, they just brushed it off and focused on the fact that two giant robots are fighting in a galaxy, but oh no, not me. My head was too busy swimming with confused questions like the whole space jump thing that the show just brushed off, not really wanting to explain it.

Yeah, Kittan dying was kind of pointless as if didn't feel as heavy as Kamina's, not just because Kamina was (in a way) better than Kittan but the died the same way. They tried to make it more heart wrenching with Kittan kissed Yoko but I just got annoyed with that. Yeah, I could see Kittan dying right when they got trapped in the wormhole thingy.

Well, I think it showed Yoko as just an old lady as to show she has found her peace and happiness. Being able to help and provide the next generation, as her character was not the one to use her fame to get what she wanted. She is the principle of the remote island school and I think it shows that she really wants to teach the next generation about the world before and show valuable lessons especially ones on senseless violence. But Yoko has really found her some true happiness and can now like a simple and peaceful life that she has thoroughly deserved.
I was quite happy that Gainax showed all the character after 20 years, something that most do not do/ I felt I really got to see all the character through their journey until the very end.
Sometimes I could just tell which character was going to die, though annoying as that can be, at least, all of Dai-Gurren's characters have heavy plot armor.

Though for animes like shojo, I found the outcome more important than the battles. While in certain other animes where the outcome was already decided for the literally very beginning (This is a very broad outlook), as in most shojos all the character did were just see who can power up more, this is how I felt for Dragon Ball. While in certain different animes, when the outcome is already decided cause the main character is overpowered, I found the journey to the predetermined outcome to be more fun. Like how many ass-pulls will characters use to get to the already decided victory, and I found ass-pulls what not to be more acceptable in these instances since they were already meant to win, anime like this is No Game No Life and Kakegurui. Also, I found that these animes revolved more about tactics than a usual shojo that was usually who can get more stronger. Still, this is very broad and I do not feel this way about some animes like I love One Piece even though the battles are more about who can get stronger.
Anyways, that huge passage relates to Gurren Lagann by me finding a mix of both of the previously stated feelings. I was excited to see what stupid thing, idea, or overpowered power up they would use to win but at the same tines, I could sometimes just yawn at how boring it could be. Kinda make sense? Maye not.

Anyways, what are your thoughts?
I find it absolutely find it very enjoyable to discuss with you and debate (not argue) about anime matters.
Honestly, I simply love debating about simply anything. Haha, I'm so weird.

It is interesting that you found the latter part of the show tedious, for me it was the only part that really kept my attention (other than a couple of episodes pre-time skip.

I didn't know about Gainax not wanting it to be a serious anime from the start, you read that somewhere? But it figures, i guess that's the reason I didn't like it, i like my anime to be serious (call me crazy). :D

That's some bad guards who listen to their instinct instead of obeying the Lord in charge, but I understand your point. You feel that it was more of a coup than an imprisonment.

"It's just an anime" is no excuse for poor logic, there are some brilliant anime out there that tackle with very complex subjects, and don't have plot holes and logic skips. The logic of everything in the last part of TTGL I wouldn't even comment, for me it felt like the show was trying to be smart by uttering a bunch of nonsense and failed miserably.

Of course, it was predictable, and I agree on your view of Yoko's life after the battle, I just don't see why all her love interests had to die, that part seemed undeserved. Is it karmic punishment for brushing off Simon?

I understand the thing about overpowered MCs and stuff, I enjoyed Naruto even if, like your said, the outcome of the battles was predetermined, I loved the way they got to that result. In TTGL it was not the case, I was mostly bored. So that's why it's so low in my book - didn't like the results, but also didn't like the journey. The battles were not exciting for me, but dull.

Some of the characters I did enjoy, and I loved Kamina's "believe in me who believes in you/ believe in you" etc, those were my favorite thoughts in the anime.
I understand that for plot reasons he needed to die, but from my perspective, his death hurt the show more than it helped him.

It's not wierd, and for me it is funny that we even got into a discussion, because I just wanted to type "I'm disappointed in this show" and move on with my life, but ended up heaving a pleasant discussion about it, and learned about some interesting views on it, that are different than mine, so I guess it wasn't all just a huge waste of time. :)

Mar 2, 2018 1:15 PM
A_Haiku_Unloose said:
Fire13rin said:

I can definitely see why it could off as boring to others. And honestly, it came off that way some of the times for me.

Yeah, I think fewer episodes would have been better, some parts seemed tedious and annoyed and just seemed to drag on and on. I found the final episodes as the most unpleasable and boring even though for most, it was the most 'epic' part. I was simply just ready for the series to end, not because I didn't like it but I felt like it was trying to drag on.

Roosiu was definitely and still probably the most practical character which is actually really strange as seeing a practical character in a crazy world. Though everyone was first made very childish as Gainax wasn't expecting the anime to be popular and they originally meant it to just be a simple fun and silly show.
I think the guards listened because they were just guards. They didn't (probably) get an insight into the actual situation and so, they though just like the rest of the public and saw Simon as a threat. Thus they followed the best next thing, Roosiu who was going to get rid of the 'problem'

Yeah, the whole galaxy thing was quite a stretch. I understand that even though it was 'just an anime' that excuse can only cover so much for poor executed logical reasoning. I found it exciting to see what big thing would happen next but when we reached the final stage during the whole final boss fight, it was just.....I can't really describe the feeling. It was just weird and I didn't find it as enjoyable as most, I guess, I wasn't really sure what was going on since the poor logic used. For most fans, they just brushed it off and focused on the fact that two giant robots are fighting in a galaxy, but oh no, not me. My head was too busy swimming with confused questions like the whole space jump thing that the show just brushed off, not really wanting to explain it.

Yeah, Kittan dying was kind of pointless as if didn't feel as heavy as Kamina's, not just because Kamina was (in a way) better than Kittan but the died the same way. They tried to make it more heart wrenching with Kittan kissed Yoko but I just got annoyed with that. Yeah, I could see Kittan dying right when they got trapped in the wormhole thingy.

Well, I think it showed Yoko as just an old lady as to show she has found her peace and happiness. Being able to help and provide the next generation, as her character was not the one to use her fame to get what she wanted. She is the principle of the remote island school and I think it shows that she really wants to teach the next generation about the world before and show valuable lessons especially ones on senseless violence. But Yoko has really found her some true happiness and can now like a simple and peaceful life that she has thoroughly deserved.
I was quite happy that Gainax showed all the character after 20 years, something that most do not do/ I felt I really got to see all the character through their journey until the very end.
Sometimes I could just tell which character was going to die, though annoying as that can be, at least, all of Dai-Gurren's characters have heavy plot armor.

Though for animes like shojo, I found the outcome more important than the battles. While in certain other animes where the outcome was already decided for the literally very beginning (This is a very broad outlook), as in most shojos all the character did were just see who can power up more, this is how I felt for Dragon Ball. While in certain different animes, when the outcome is already decided cause the main character is overpowered, I found the journey to the predetermined outcome to be more fun. Like how many ass-pulls will characters use to get to the already decided victory, and I found ass-pulls what not to be more acceptable in these instances since they were already meant to win, anime like this is No Game No Life and Kakegurui. Also, I found that these animes revolved more about tactics than a usual shojo that was usually who can get more stronger. Still, this is very broad and I do not feel this way about some animes like I love One Piece even though the battles are more about who can get stronger.
Anyways, that huge passage relates to Gurren Lagann by me finding a mix of both of the previously stated feelings. I was excited to see what stupid thing, idea, or overpowered power up they would use to win but at the same tines, I could sometimes just yawn at how boring it could be. Kinda make sense? Maye not.

Anyways, what are your thoughts?
I find it absolutely find it very enjoyable to discuss with you and debate (not argue) about anime matters.
Honestly, I simply love debating about simply anything. Haha, I'm so weird.

It is interesting that you found the latter part of the show tedious, for me it was the only part that really kept my attention (other than a couple of episodes pre-time skip.

I didn't know about Gainax not wanting it to be a serious anime from the start, you read that somewhere? But it figures, i guess that's the reason I didn't like it, i like my anime to be serious (call me crazy). :D

That's some bad guards who listen to their instinct instead of obeying the Lord in charge, but I understand your point. You feel that it was more of a coup than an imprisonment.

"It's just an anime" is no excuse for poor logic, there are some brilliant anime out there that tackle with very complex subjects, and don't have plot holes and logic skips. The logic of everything in the last part of TTGL I wouldn't even comment, for me it felt like the show was trying to be smart by uttering a bunch of nonsense and failed miserably.

Of course, it was predictable, and I agree on your view of Yoko's life after the battle, I just don't see why all her love interests had to die, that part seemed undeserved. Is it karmic punishment for brushing off Simon?

I understand the thing about overpowered MCs and stuff, I enjoyed Naruto even if, like your said, the outcome of the battles was predetermined, I loved the way they got to that result. In TTGL it was not the case, I was mostly bored. So that's why it's so low in my book - didn't like the results, but also didn't like the journey. The battles were not exciting for me, but dull.

Some of the characters I did enjoy, and I loved Kamina's "believe in me who believes in you/ believe in you" etc, those were my favorite thoughts in the anime.
I understand that for plot reasons he needed to die, but from my perspective, his death hurt the show more than it helped him.

It's not wierd, and for me it is funny that we even got into a discussion, because I just wanted to type "I'm disappointed in this show" and move on with my life, but ended up heaving a pleasant discussion about it, and learned about some interesting views on it, that are different than mine, so I guess it wasn't all just a huge waste of time. :)

Yes, if you want anime with a deep plot than Gurren Lagann is not the way to go as it is rather straightforward.

I agree, they seemed to have just thrown in some smart words, tried to make it look scientific in excuse for proper logic.

Haha, Gainax just wanted it to be more emotional so they made them kiss.

I can see why the seemed so dull as some of the battles were just that dull. "Let's see who can get bigger and gain a new power-up!" Bigger the better.

Yes, Kamia's quote felt really inspiring especially for those who lake poor self-esteem as it shows that it's okay to rely on others and even though you don't believe in yourself, others will.

So glad we got to talk and as for me too, it definitely opened my eyes a little and I did enjoy it so definitely not a waste of time on my side either. Have a good day and keep enjoying anime.

Mar 19, 2018 11:27 AM
なのだ

They look far too old for their age after this final timeskip. I understand their lives weren't easy, but cmon.

While not exactly my kind of anime, I have to say I enjoyed it a lot. There were some minor details that bothered me, but nothing serious.
Kind of shame tho that Yoko didn't end with Simon, even just staying together, not necessarily in a relationship. It feels pretty damn sad for everyone to live on their own - after such experience, it has to be hard to go back to normal life without company of someone who experienced it too.

accela said:
I'm still upset that Episode 1's intro wasn't Episode 27's end...

Quoting 11 years old post... but this. I waited for it all the time lol

Mar 21, 2018 3:48 PM

Just finished it. Until episode 16 it was atrocious, i watched in 2x speed because i wanted to drop it. After time skip it became interesting... it's overrated but i will still give it a 7 just for the nice animations and the second half was decent.

Mar 29, 2018 10:23 AM

Never expected to like it that much. Good show.

Apr 15, 2018 7:02 AM

Xaelath said:
DeathProxy said:
This episode was great but...
How can anyone give this a 10? There are so many flaws and absurds through the entire anime...

I dont think its not about flaws.
Every anime had flaws.

See this is the issue.. "flaws" are one thing.. but just the last 2-3 minutes of this ending was nonsensical and out of place enough to pretty much ruin the story and main characters. Like "going edgelord in one easy step!"

Xaelath said:

Its about the moral of the story.
Its about the story it trying to tell.

Which it completely shit upon in literally the last second!
Which it completely ignored at literally the last second!

I mean I don't think i've ever seen a series so nonsensically invalidate, ruin and spit upon it's very own theme/moral/message, so thoroughly and so abruptly before.. And at the very last second too. There was literally no reason or need for the last ~5 minutes. At the very best it was little more than a half-ass attempt at making the story artificially "seem" epic and emotional/deep.. inexcusable and really bad, lazy writing.

Apr 28, 2018 4:32 AM

Oh, I will miss this series.
The finale was epic.
What a ride it was tho, from the beginning until now.
Nia! T^T
Old Simon feels awkward xD.
9/10

May 10, 2018 11:23 AM

The series ended,.... It seems Simon never got what he wanted..it was not a unhappy ending yet you seem to get the feeling the fulfillment... The mixed feeling though

May 16, 2018 5:12 PM
This was everything I expected from this anime. Amazing.... but why Nia? why did you have to dissapear?? :(

Okay, I lied: I was expecting the very first scene of ep 1 to appear at some point. Maybe it was a scene from one of the previous wars, idk.

9/10

May 18, 2018 6:57 PM

TTGL was EPIC.
EPIC won't even do enough justice to show my praise for this space battle mecha anime.

The entire ride was beyond my expectations, a 2007 anime that managed to earn itself a 10/10.
The character development was spectacular, from young Simon to a mere legend, savior of the spiral race. This was an unforgettable journey, along with a plot that is out of this worldly fascinating, there was absolutely nothing else I longed to see. This was the Perfect anime that I had witnessed, the only downside is that my bar of a perfect anime has risen by miles.
Yes, it was the most bad a** anime I have ever witnessed in my life.
The ending, I am speechless by the immense amount of emotions that are exposed towards me. How can anyone ever forget that blazing victory and the legacy Gurren Lagann has left us?

▬▬ι═══════ﺤ YOᑌ.... ᑕOᑌᒪᗪ IT ᗷE TᕼᗩT YOᑌ'ᖇE ᒍᑌᔕT ᗩᑎ IᗪIOT?
~ Araragi Senpai

* .    *
.      ˚    *   ·
.  ✦             ✫ ·
.    ✢    °         ✧    .       

May 24, 2018 10:33 AM

Like most people said, I really really wanted the scene from ep 1 to re-appear (althought it may have been not Simon!), Bittersweet ending (actually love it thought, I like those kind of scenes) and Simon, you'll always be a hero! Even if you are helping kids crack coconuts!
Modified by Kotoriimbued, May 24, 2018 10:36 AM

May 24, 2018 1:06 PM

SaiDrew said:
I was expecting the very first scene of ep 1 to appear at some point. Maybe it was a scene from one of the previous wars, idk.

@Kotoriimbued They just forgot about it. (the anime was written on the fly, so things envisioned at first were changed, dismissed, etc)

@deg It was an interview with one or two guys from the staff (director, writer maybe?) where they were remembering about the making. In english, I think. Sorry I can't give you an URL but I'm sure it was available on the Internet.
Modified by Rei366, Dec 16, 2018 12:33 AM

Aug 14, 2018 8:14 AM

What more could I say? IT WAS FUCKING AWESOME!

Sep 15, 2018 6:03 PM
Very good anime especially the fights they are 10/10 fights.As a whole 8.6/10

Nov 14, 2018 3:20 PM
Great anime, but the ending/epilogue didn't feel quite right to me. In my humble opinion, the disappearance of Nia was unnecessary or at least misplaced. If the decision was to let her disappear, I would have preferred the scene where Lordgenome sacrificed himself. Right before that happened, they revealed that Nia wouldn't be able stay anyways, so it was the perfect moment. This would have opened the door for an epilogue with Yoko. Being shoved to the sidelines during the second arc, she deserved at least this.

I mean, she was there from the beginning, accompanying Simon, staying through thick and thin, seeing him rise and fulfill Kamina's dream. They both suffered and persevered, it was a special bond. At the end, both of them lost someone, and it would have been nice to see them growing closer, from a rather depressed/sad state of mind after everything had settled down, like helping themselves out of this, together, finding peace, settling down, having kids. After all this talk of evolution and future generations, they end up childless. Simon could dig wells for poor villages, but then come home and enjoy a family life while Yoko could teach. The other depressing thing was Viral's dream, he simply wanted a family for himself, they should have given it to him, like Rossiu genetically changing him a bit or so.

The other thing was the 20 years time skip. Yoko and Simon look like 60, they should be in their early 40s. While Gimmy and Darry look quite young, but they should be in their 30s. There shouldn't be such a big gap between them and Simon & Yoko, 10 years at max. And wtf is with Boota, I though he became humanoid? But whatever, I still love this show.

Nov 18, 2018 2:24 PM

An amazing ending. You don't get to see something like this often.

I Love Anime.

Hentai too.

And so will you. Probably.

Dec 16, 2018 12:24 AM
Rei366 said:
SaiDrew said:
I was expecting the very first scene of ep 1 to appear at some point. Maybe it was a scene from one of the previous wars, idk.

@Kotoriimbued They just forgot about it. (the anime was written on the fly, so things envisioned at first were changed, dismissed, etc)

that first scene is like a metaphor/analogy/symbol imho

is there any source for that saying they change the ending like that?

Jan 4, 10:10 PM

So am I just drunk, or is there no way that two galaxies contain the same amount of energy as the big bang? But then again, "kick logic to the curb and make the impossible possible." But then again, is that even the way team Anti-Spiral rolls?

Jan 21, 2:46 PM
I've just watched the final battle (that part with Sorairo Days) about 70 to 80 times since December of 2017.

Feb 10, 3:56 PM

When you can read in japanese and the credits spoils the "20 years in the future" ending
Nice time rewatching this show.

Feb 16, 10:56 PM
This anime went really far beyond my expectations. Fantastic fight scenes (although a little confusing when they entered space) and awesome and charismatic characters.

To think I took so long to finally decide to watch it... unforgivable.

9/10. One of the best things Japanase people have created in history.

Feb 19, 11:17 AM
So in the end neither Kamina and Yoko nor Simon and Nia got a happy end?

Would it be so bad to let the show end with a happy ending? Are they doing this on purpose to make their shows more "memorable"? Wtf japan?

And in the end, the characters look like they are in their late 40s or early 50s...
Modified by tr25a3, Feb 19, 11:35 AM

Feb 19, 7:53 PM
accela said:
I'm still upset that Episode 1's intro wasn't Episode 27's end...
I feel the same after 12 years

Apr 24, 2:07 AM

The drill on drill bursting action was a bit much, but otherwise a great final episode.

May 26, 11:26 AM

Good series, but not the masterpiece half of the fanboys rave about
No more posts.

Jun 5, 5:36 AM
What an amazing ride has this been. Honestly, this was a masterpiece. Took me years to finally get the decision to start this show. Well, 10/10.

Jun 8, 6:41 PM

After episode 8 I thought this was going to be about Simon becoming his own man after Kamina's death and the birth of a different type of masculinity, through his subsequent experiences, but then it wasn't that at all, since he...became just like Kamina and he acted more like him the more the anime went on, his walk off ending cements it, because he literally picks up the mantle. What's the point of making that distinction between him and Kamina in that one episode (when he used strategy over pure power) if in the end the age of the old heroes continues forever? Can their type even be considered 'old heroes' at this point? Taking it at face value Simon not being able to adjust to life in the city was a pretty cool touch. But the birth of the city means the death of those kinds of men or at least that's how it was supposed to be...but I guess as we see in the after-credits scene, being the guy that makes the path for others isn't really an enviable role.

I honestly have a hard time pinning down what Simon's personality was/is, but it's easy to see him change around his role, but I don't think this show was really striving for complex character personalities, but their roles in the grand scheme and the meanings behind them. Also, this show doesn't really have character interaction either. I mean, we have to infer that Simon and Rossiu are friends because they pilot Gurren Lagann together, but they never speak to one another. I can't recall any time in which two characters spoke that didn't directly relate to the plot. Hell, Simon and Yoko barely say anything to each other. With such a large cast, it's weird that I don't have anything to say about many of the characters. Compared to the other Imaishi show I've seen (Kill la Kill) this was more thematically coherent, but it was also way more straightforward.

It is really nice to see a show that isn't misanthropic though. The universe can literally press down on humanity, but we find a way. Forget everything else, it's really hard to hate that.

I sort of have a problem with how Yoko only exists to be loved by Kamina and his double, but make the path and whatnot.

But still good show, that I finally got around to watching after putting it off for forever. I don't think anyone can deny that this was pure spectacle as far as animation goes, especially the last episode and I just can't imagine what the production was like behind the scenes. For a series that is so popular amongst anime fans mainstream and otherwise I'd at least hope that it sparked an interest in the animation process in the hypedrones that flock to this, and maybe helped them understand the talent and hard work (and suffering) that goes into making something like this. Definitely glad I watched it, but wasn't really connected to it emotionally like so many others seem to be.

@James_xeno it's a little too real, but it's certainly not lazy writing. Kamina is dead and Simon is left behind...that's sort of what happens to people who pave the way for the future.
Modified by syncrogazer, Jun 9, 8:56 AM

Jun 10, 10:19 AM

First Post! YAAAA

Ok, so i was very impressed with the series, yet i watched it a long time ago, but i certainly remember how awsome and emotional the final was. And that ending tho..... Anyway, i was impressed with this series, and it introduced Me to anime, im planning to rewatch it, if ill get the time to...

Modified by OozaruPenguin, Jun 10, 10:33 AM

Jun 28, 12:33 PM

MUCH, MOST, HELLOVA EPIC, but not too much thinking on the Plot itself from my point of view...
that was an amazing ride, but if it had just two more cours it could have definitely ahow it's amazing parts!
9/10!
Really Good, but not masterpiece

7 hours ago
I really think the didnt need to kill Nia, since she kinda evolved into another being with the Spiral thing, but well, that was amazing and painful in some way. But seeing how amazing this anime is, I got even more enraged by how Darling in the Franxx was developed, they just wanted to put the crazy spacial things happening in Gurren Lagan without giving it a decent context. Great Mecha and great anime, I refuse to low down the note I've given (10) even if I think more about the story.

Pages (21) « First ... « 19 20 [21]