Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 21, 2013 5:49 PM

Apr 2009
This thread's purpose is to discuss and suggest the manga & LN relations this club should officially add on its list. If a mayority can agree on certain titles they shall be added.
It can also be used to discuss what exactly the requirements of a "shit anime" are.

My current take on the manga/LN list is fairly positive, as it provides a nice mixture between all genres, who share a very enthusiastic fanbase.
NidhoeggrFeb 2, 2013 5:06 AM
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 25, 2013 2:32 PM
Jul 2018
BTOOOM! needs to added.

It's a generic survival battle royale story. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING new in it. That and totally unrealistic overthe-top, but not in a TTGL way. It just lacks realism for the sake of the protagonist surviving. Frankly, it sucks.

Also, not really nominating it but is the club's viewpoint on Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai?
I haven't read it because it looks like some wish-fulfillment stuff.
removed-userJan 25, 2013 2:47 PM
Jan 25, 2013 3:48 PM

Apr 2012
Kami Nomi puts forth every nerd's wet dream. A shut-in gamer who plays games for about the same amount of time you and I breathe. In which he goes around conquering girls, in a monster of the week format.
How to make your own personal Kami Nomi arc.
1.Girl needs help after being possessed by something
2. Keima's imouto finds out, and tells Keima to conquer her
3. The reluctant protagonist begins to make the girl fall under his charm.
4. He get's the girl, and her memories are gone.

That's basically it for the first few chapters. Then they realise that the plot device in episode one/chapter 1-2 hadn't progressed at all. All they've done is going around catching girls like they're in season.

The story is very repetitive, as shown in the arc creation guideline. All you need to do is insert a different archetype in each case.

I enjoyed it until I read the same thing for the 50th time.
Jan 25, 2013 4:29 PM
Jul 2018
And that's number 59 on the top manga list?
Damn, that officially killed all desire to read that manga.
Jan 25, 2013 6:31 PM

Nov 2011
The World God Only Knows? It's meant to be a parody on that crap. I really liked the first season of the anime, and you know how much I hate sexist crap.

I found it amusing because it kinda showed you a little bit of the idea of 2D love, although that's not quite the right term. He had no interest in real girls because they weren't as perfect as the ones he could conquer in games, and even then, it was about the conquest.

But at any rate it's entirely a spoof series making fun of how so many guys now are more interested in games/anime women than in real girls and how cocky they are about it. It seemed to me like one or two seasons was enough, though I didn't bother with the second season because they brought in some other big boobed goddess demon thing.
Jan 25, 2013 9:18 PM

Apr 2012
Amberleh said:
The World God Only Knows? It's meant to be a parody on that crap. I really liked the first season of the anime, and you know how much I hate sexist crap.

I found it amusing because it kinda showed you a little bit of the idea of 2D love, although that's not quite the right term. He had no interest in real girls because they weren't as perfect as the ones he could conquer in games, and even then, it was about the conquest.

But at any rate it's entirely a spoof series making fun of how so many guys now are more interested in games/anime women than in real girls and how cocky they are about it. It seemed to me like one or two seasons was enough, though I didn't bother with the second season because they brought in some other big boobed goddess demon thing.

It was ok in the beginning because it had things to reference but now it's just random stuff happening because it's running out of material. After all, there are only a few ways of chasing a girl without starting to pull some bullshit.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 25, 2013 9:24 PM

Nov 2011
Can we add this to the manga relations? Please? I'm still sitting here trying to suppress my immature giggles.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/15916/Waga_Tousou

Oh, this one too.

http://myanimelist.net/manga/2565/Shinyaku_Seisho

Edit: What I meant by these was, can we add them to the enlightenment list.
Jan 25, 2013 9:40 PM

Jan 2013
You consider them enlightening, and want to peddle them to every unsuspecting soul that comes to us for help with their tastes and opinions?!?

Shame on you, I think I'll just report you now for religious proselytism and political propaganda. This is a family friendly site, you know?
My favorite genres: good Quality, better Quality, best Quality, Über-Quality.
Scoring criteria: Existence does not precede Essence.

Current status: OFFLINE. Even if not really.
I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Jan 25, 2013 10:24 PM

Nov 2011
Maegil said:
You consider them enlightening, and want to peddle them to every unsuspecting soul that comes to us for help with their tastes and opinions?!?

Shame on you, I think I'll just report you now for religious proselytism and political propaganda. This is a family friendly site, you know?

No, I find them highly amusing and they make me laugh and it would be really funny to have them on the enlightenment list.
Jan 26, 2013 1:17 AM

Jan 2013
I'm too good for my own good - that deadpan joke was delivered with such aplomb that you actually thought I was serious...

I'm not really against the one on the life of JC: it must have had some pretty mighty funding supporting it and the JC Ultimate Fandom Club as editors, so I shouldn't expect the smallest discrepancy to the official version.

*UPDATE* As for the Waga Tousou, it's a historical/biographical manga on Hitler, but has only four chapters, and it was dropped after Hitler succeeded Drexler as president of the NSDAP.
MaegilJan 26, 2013 3:31 AM

I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Feb 3, 2013 1:13 AM

Apr 2012
Suggestion: Wolf Guy

Classic case of adding in pointless sex and gore to make it LOL DEEP DARKNESS FAGGOTRY.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Feb 3, 2013 1:54 AM

Oct 2012
Just thought of one! It's been a while since I read it but I was told it ends somewhat like crud.

Cage of Eden.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Feb 3, 2013 2:08 AM
Jul 2018
Oh God, Wolf Guy. I agree, it's awful.
If I remember correctly, there was a 9 chapter long rape scene.
removed-userFeb 3, 2013 2:15 AM
Feb 3, 2013 4:26 AM

Apr 2009
BloodRequiem said:

Classic case of adding in pointless sex and gore to make it LOL DEEP DARKNESS FAGGOTRY.

While we are at it, maybe Akumetsu as well?
People read way too much into it and it also falls pray to the gore = deep trap.
Feb 3, 2013 4:32 AM

Apr 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
BloodRequiem said:

People read way too much into it and it also falls pray to the gore = deep trap.

The ending was pretty WTF as well.
I also suggest everything that fits our relations list criteria by Im Dal Young, Hwang Mi Ri, and Han Yu Rang. God they make absolutely terrible manhwa and they make them as if they are mass produced out of a fucking factory.
Feb 3, 2013 4:55 AM

Apr 2009
BloodRequiem said:
Nidhoeggr said:
BloodRequiem said:

The ending was pretty WTF as well.
I also suggest everything that fits our relations list criteria by Im Dal Young, Hwang Mi Ri, and Han Yu Rang. God they make absolutely terrible manhwa and they make them as if they are mass produced out of a fucking factory.

Don't remind me. There should be People Relations...
Feb 9, 2013 11:27 AM

Oct 2012
How about History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi? It may not show on my manga list but I've read the manga and got pretty far (there are like 40 shounen titles that I've abandoned after a while just like this one). I stopped right after that Hongo dude beat the fruit lover guy. I think the story lost a lot of steam (not that it had much to begin with) after the first arc ended (this is where the anime ends. I haven't watched the anime though so no comments). Oh, it's a harem too. That should seal it.
Feb 9, 2013 2:12 PM

Nov 2011
I have an odd suggestion for the relations manga.

Usagi Drop. The anime is wonderful, and the first half of the manga was brilliant and it should absolutely stay on the anime enlightenment list.

HOWEVER. The second half...

Feb 9, 2013 2:27 PM

Jan 2013
That spoiler could have been a bit more specific... Since you've convinced me not to touch the manga, you could at least tell us precisely what was it that you found so disgusting and repulsive, and capable of making it even harder for single males to adopt - did Daikichi rape Rin, or something like that?

Feb 9, 2013 2:40 PM
Jul 2018
Maegil said:
That spoiler could have been a bit more specific... Since you've convinced me not to touch the manga, you could at least tell us precisely what was it that you found so disgusting and repulsive, and capable of making it even harder for single males to adopt - did Daikichi rape Rin, or something like that?

Feb 9, 2013 2:45 PM

Nov 2011
Neane1993 said:
Maegil said:

What Neane said, but seriously, if you don't want your view of the series ruined I wouldn't click that spoiler. A lot of people like to pretend the manga never happened.
Feb 9, 2013 2:55 PM

Jan 2013
Hmmm... if I agreed with Freud, I'd call it a poorly resolved Electra complex transfered to the adoptive father, etc. Unfortunately, I don't, and in any case it seems the author really decided to do it just because...

That's official: it goes to the Do Not Touch list.

Great anime, though.
MaegilFeb 9, 2013 3:34 PM

Feb 9, 2013 3:06 PM

Nov 2011
Maegil said:
Hmmm... if I agreed with Freud, I'd call it a poorly resolved Oedipus complex transfered to the adoptive father, etc. Unfortunately, I don't, and in any case it seems the author really decided to do it just because...

That's official: it goes to the Do Not Touch list.

Great anime, though.

Glad we're in agreement. And yes, it's a PHENOMENAL anime. I'm not sure what the hell the mangaka was thinking.
Feb 9, 2013 3:34 PM

Jan 2013
You should really stop quoting every post you're replying to... How the hell am I to correct Oedipus for Electra without traces now?

Feb 9, 2013 3:41 PM

Nov 2011
Maegil said:
u shud rely stop quoting evry post your replying to... how the hell am i to correct Oedeepis for Electra without tracez nao?

I dunno, maybe you should learn to type better. Plebe.
Feb 9, 2013 3:51 PM

Jan 2013
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SerialEditor

Feb 9, 2013 5:56 PM

Oct 2012
@Amberleh was right. I shouldn't have clicked that spoiler. The image of Rin was beaten by a baseball bat, crushed by steamroller, showered with jagged glass, and thrown out in the middle of a desert highway to cook.

A season 2 of the anime should never happen.
Feb 10, 2013 9:14 AM

May 2011
@Amberleh
I was in denial with that scene for a good while (skipped to very last chapter after watching the show). I read it as her wanting to become a mother later on, and raise the kid well like what Daikichi did for her. But nope cold, hard reality set in >.>
Feb 15, 2013 11:15 PM

Apr 2012
I'd like to nominate "The Breaker: New Waves".

Note: Only New Waves. The original "The Breaker" was quite good but new waves is just hundreds of chapters of cocktease with nothing happening except for retarded flashbacks and powerlevel shit. The plot's going nowhere.
Feb 19, 2013 11:37 AM

Apr 2009
I agree with BloodRequiem in a way that we need way more shitty and overhyped action manga (especially Shounen) on our list. There should be more than enough of them, but fortunately I am not 12-year old boy anymore so I do't know what these people actually like right now.

Psyren was hyped when it was published, is it still popular?
What about History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi?
NidhoeggrFeb 19, 2013 11:45 AM
Feb 19, 2013 12:21 PM

Nov 2011
Nidhoeggr said:
I agree with BloodRequiem in a way that we need way more shitty and overhyped action manga (especially Shounen) on our list. There should be more than enough of them, but fortunately I am not 12-year old boy anymore so I do't know what these people actually like right now.

Psyren was hyped when it was published, is it still popular?
What about History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi?

I agree with adding Kenichi. I have watched the whole series and honestly, for a shounen, it was very enjoyable. That being said it's still a silly typical shounen and the female character designs are atrocious.

I'd also like to nominate Nabari no Ou. As the resident CLAMP fangirl/feminist, I'd like to point out that like Black Butler, Nabari no Ou is a shounen written by a women that ends up being more of a shounen ai than an actual shounen. It also pretty much just steals the character dynamic of Kamui and Subaru from X and superimposes it onto the two main males in its story. The author also cites her favorite manga as being Naruto and Ninja scroll, so it exists due to those two series.

ANYWAY. Long story short- It's an unoriginal series that takes elements from other manga and mashes them together to create a shoujo that masquerades as a shounen.
Feb 19, 2013 1:30 PM

Jan 2013
My first instinct is to disagree with adding nabari no ou, but since I usually agree with amberleh I'll have to give the manga a quick revisit. I read it a while ago, but all I remember was that it was highly unoriginal but mostly harmless. I really don't recall the main character's relationship being very much like Kamui and Subaru's sisterly bond though.
Feb 22, 2013 5:37 PM
Jul 2018
Agreeing with Kenichi. Also might want to consider Akame ga KILL! being added to the list.

Akame ga KILL! is an example of a shounen manga that could be so much better if it didn't try to keep some things such as the main character more appealing to a younger audience (shounen). It is a manga that wants to be presentable to the younger crowd for a larger audience but at the same time wants to have mature themes; this results in an identity crisis which gives it a more black and white presentation and out of place main character which leads to something overall that is rather mediocre at best.
Feb 22, 2013 7:00 PM

Apr 2012
Neane1993 said:
Agreeing with Kenichi. Also might want to consider Akame ga KILL! being added to the list.

Akame ga KILL! is an example of a shounen manga that could be so much better if it didn't try to keep some things such as the main character more appealing to a younger audience (shounen). It is a manga that wants to be presentable to the younger crowd for a larger audience but at the same time wants to have mature themes; this results in an identity crisis which gives it a more black and white presentation and out of place main character which leads to something overall that is rather mediocre at best.

I don't like how it tries to be mature by needlessly killing off characters. Also every antagonist other than Esdese's team are rapists/sadists/cannibals etc. Even the adviser who is supposedly the evil mastermind behind it all got pretty much no development.
Mar 1, 2013 6:09 AM

Apr 2009
So guys, Unbvalance x Unbalance by our favourite manwha writer Young Im Dal: Worthy for our list?
Mar 1, 2013 6:11 AM

Oct 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
So guys, Unbvalance x Unbalance by our favourite manwha writer Young Im Dal: Worthy for our list?

Is it super popular?
Mar 1, 2013 2:50 PM

Aug 2009
Ducat_Revel said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Is it super popular?

I've encountered it quite a few times in discussions, but I can't say if's SUPER popular. Its author, however, is very well known.
Mar 7, 2013 6:40 PM

Apr 2009
metamorphius said:
Ducat_Revel said:
Nidhoeggr said:

Is it super popular?

I've encountered it quite a few times in discussions, but I can't say if's SUPER popular. Its author, however, is very well known.

A shame MAL won't allow People Relations. He would be one of the very first entries.
Along with Rie Kugimiya.
Mar 28, 2013 11:07 AM

Nov 2011
Hey should the Mirai Nikki manga be thrown on the relations as well?
Apr 3, 2013 7:29 AM

Apr 2009
Amberleh said:
Hey should the Mirai Nikki manga be thrown on the relations as well?

Yes, it is just as bad as the anime from what I have read - which reminds me, I should update my manga list.
Apr 29, 2013 10:56 AM
Jul 2018
What does my fellow uber-elitists think of the romance manga Suzuka?
Apr 29, 2013 11:06 AM

Dec 2012
Neane1993 said:
What does my fellow uber-elitists think of the romance manga Suzuka?

Relation please +1 and also add Kimi no iru machi while you are at it.
Apr 29, 2013 11:29 AM

Sep 2012
tsudecimo said:
also add Kimi no iru machi while you are at it.

It is already in the relations.
Apr 29, 2013 11:30 AM

Dec 2012
2_Steps_Ahead said:
tsudecimo said:
also add Kimi no iru machi while you are at it.

It is already in the relations.

My bad , then it is a surprise that Suzuka isn't also there .
Apr 29, 2013 3:14 PM

Nov 2012
Can we add Shingeki no Kyojin to the relations list?
It has bad and sloppy art, terrible pacing and a godawful view of the human race. It's also pretty grimdark and the battles take on forever.
I can't say to much about the story since I've dropped it rather early but from what I've heard it has some preposterous twists.
Now that it got an anime I bet it's going to be in the top 30 for sure.
Apr 29, 2013 3:21 PM

Jun 2009
Wait, so "grimdark" is a bad thing now? What? Also, unless the fourth episode is awful I see absolutely nothing about the series that makes worthy of either list.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 29, 2013 3:28 PM

Nov 2012
insan3soldiern said:
Wait, so "grimdark" is a bad thing now? What? Also, unless the fourth episode is awful I see absolutely nothing about the series that makes worthy of either list.

I'm talking about the manga not anime. The anime is fine.
And yes grimdark is a bad thing.
Apr 29, 2013 5:37 PM
Jul 2018
Your favorite manga is BLAME! and that's a pretty grimdark title. Unless you have a completely different meaning for the word "Grimdark" than the rest of us I fail to see how something being "Grimdark" is inherently bad in itself.
Apr 29, 2013 5:42 PM

Apr 2009
The definition of grimdark is a bit iffy, I wouldn't really use this term when talking about fictional works but rather use terms like unneccessary strong and graphic depictions of violence, negative emotions and other stuff that usually caters to the "edgy crowd" (see what I mean with vague definitions?).

Shingeki certainly plays with these tropes and it is overhyped atm, but it is by no means a horrible manga like the ones we have on our list so far.
NidhoeggrApr 29, 2013 5:50 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.