Forum Settings
Forums

[CLOSED] Anime Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend [CLOSED]

New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (73) « First ... « 71 72 [73]
Jul 5, 2015 7:25 AM

Apr 2013
lordzeru said:
Miike_ said:
So Ghost Hound has no love, uh? That's ok.
You reminded me that ep.1 of Shirobako was very nice, I'm gonna go watch the rest of it.

I think Ghost Hound is a neat show with a few good things going on, but a lot of key points in the show fall kind of flat. It's a good show overall, but not something I'd consider a must see.

^I agree with Zeru here. Don't feel bad Miike_.
Jul 5, 2015 11:16 AM

Jan 2013
Not sure what Barakamon is at, but nyeh, -1.
Jul 9, 2015 5:59 AM
May 2013
Don't worry Jodyqt, I'm fine (now).
Jul 9, 2015 7:36 AM

Sep 2011
doubt it needs any more votes but yes shirobako +1, probably the only 7/10 on my list id definitely vote for cause i can recognize how unique and special it is

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 16, 2015 1:15 PM

Jun 2013
So, I believe I can do this now. I nominate Garo: Honoo no Kokuin. It's a great fantasy show with a strong cast and some of the best animated fights I've ever seen. It's got some amazing storytelling with episodes 12 and 18 being some of my all-time favourites, and managed to end on a very high note with an upcoming second season. It also seemed to be well-received over here.
Jul 16, 2015 1:36 PM

Nov 2011
Hmm I'm torn on Barakamon. I LOVE it, I think it's definitely a series everyone should see. But I can see why it might not be e-list worthy.

That said, what the hell, +1 Barakamon.
Jul 16, 2015 3:07 PM

Sep 2011
Iroald said:
So, I believe I can do this now. I nominate Garo: Honoo no Kokuin. It's a great fantasy show with a strong cast and some of the best animated fights I've ever seen. It's got some amazing storytelling with episodes 12 and 18 being some of my all-time favourites, and managed to end on a very high note with an upcoming second season. It also seemed to be well-received over here.

Definitely +1 to this

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 16, 2015 3:48 PM

Apr 2013
oh on that note -1 Barakamon

It's a decent series and I wont have issues recommending it but it's not amazing and I have seen similar shows that have managed to be far more engaging or excel at different areas in areas where Barakamon simply remains good to okay. Nevertheless it is a show that I would recommend.

Also -1 Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
It took me a while to come to this conclusion for this one, which is a good sign, it has some very genuine comedy moments, with interesting characters always championing their quirky attributes to every scenario which makes it really easy and fun to watch. Again, I would definitely recommend this to people, it's hard for me to come up with criticisms for the show outside what it could have been, but that's just the point. The show lacks progress on a severe level, in fact its not even at the level of standard harem anime, it's still before that. Fucking christ, not to go into counterfactuals, but if you are going to have a show with fun, well-rounded, faulty characters and not have it progress at all than I don't see the point. For that kind of writing to truly work you need to have storytelling elements that are of a genius temperament (like Doraemon).

Edit:

+1 Ashita no Joe
Because no show in the history of anime has ever had such a strong understanding of the characters fleshed out on screen as they do in Ashita no Joe, boxing is merely the plot device here, the real story is seeing Joe grow and become a better person - and how he represented the struggle of an entire generation of youth was a fitting allegory for the period of time in which the story was composed and written.
JodyqtJul 16, 2015 4:13 PM
Jul 16, 2015 8:35 PM

Nov 2011
Oh since it's an option, +1 for Nozaki-kun

This show didn't really go anywhere, as Jody said, but I don't think it needed to. I think for what it was it excelled in spades. It was fun and engaging and I would argue was progressive in some ways by turning certain tropes completely on their heads, much the way Ouran did but while sticking to being a comedy rather than a dramedy.
Jul 16, 2015 9:57 PM

Feb 2008
-1 for Nozaki
I really liked this show, it was one of those surprises of a season (or year), but I don't think it's really e-list material. Maybe I'll change my mind if it does get polled, but for now I'm not in favor of it

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jul 17, 2015 5:48 AM

Oct 2011
Unfortunately for the time being we are closing nominations and polling while we sort out some new rules and voting procedures. We'll post updates as soon as we have some!
lordzeruJul 17, 2015 5:51 AM
Jul 17, 2015 11:10 AM

Mar 2009
lordzeru said:
Unfortunately for the time being we are closing nominations and polling while we sort out some new rules and voting procedures. We'll post updates as soon as we have some!

Uhhh. I hope you let me know about this shit haha
Jul 17, 2015 11:55 AM

Oct 2011
AlabastreAizo said:
lordzeru said:

Uhhh. I hope you let me know about this shit haha

Appear a bit early tomorrow in admin chat tomorrow before the stream and I can fill you in.
Jul 17, 2015 11:59 AM

Apr 2012
+1 Garo
-1 Sora no Woto
+1 Barakamon

Also, can someone update the Purgatory list and New Mentions? It's outdated.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jul 17, 2015 12:00 PM

Oct 2011
It's not worth updating those lists at the moment, since the way we do voting and purgatory is subject to extreme change.
Jul 21, 2015 11:35 PM

Jan 2013
Okay, now that I finished watching it, I'd like to nominate Ginga Nagareboshi Gin for the E-List this month of July. It's a very good '80s anime about a young Shiba inu named Gin, who leaves his owners and joins a pack of wild dogs who band together to kill Akakabuto, a demon bear that terrorizes the region of Futago Pass. This series is kinda like Watership Down in that it's surprisingly dark and violent for a story that focuses on a group of animals, but it also manages to be rather mature and, at times, quite moving. It starts off a little slow, with the first 7 or so episodes focusing on Gin's upbringing, but things really start to pick up once Gin sets out to join the other dogs (which is also the point where they start talking to each other). It's really cool to watch Gin grow from a small puppy who's just learning how to hunt to a capable young fighter and potential leader, and seeing all those dogs throughout the region come together to form an army of sorts is really exciting.

Even though I wouldn't say it's a perfect series, I still believe it's at least worthy of being polled for the E-List and I very much recommend it. It's only 21 episodes, so go check it out and let me know what you think. :)

(BTW I thought I'd mention that while the subs for the first couple episodes are pretty crap, they do get better over time and ultimately, they shouldn't hinder your understanding or enjoyment of the story too much.
Nei-sanJul 21, 2015 11:39 PM
Jul 22, 2015 1:03 AM

Jan 2013
I don't think nominations are happening right now, but I'd personally say -1 to Gin.

The series has a lot of heart and raw emotional power with loose, more primal politics in systems apart from regular societal structures a la Fist of the North Star but with dog packs, a bunch of great characters and more but there's a lot of problems to it I find.

There's a big plot hole I noted which I can't seem to recall (I think it involved a character's survival), a fair bit of cop-outs concerning character deaths and such, some thematic and plot repetition, the binary narratives of human and wolves which never really come together to give you a full picture, a kind of rushed finale with that new superpower element teased and just bits of weird absurdity or simplicity I find.

A solid series with a sweet opening I could recommend to some, but I don't think it's great.
Jul 22, 2015 10:48 AM

Feb 2008
Yeah nominations are locked for now, so you can nominate it again some time later. I'd probably +1 it, since it's basically Hokuto no Ken with dogs, great stuff.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Jul 29, 2015 7:34 PM

Sep 2014
+1 to Ashita no Joe (really guys, only two votes?)

I'll assume we are talking about both seasons.
Jul 27, 2020 2:21 AM

Oct 2011
Maegil said:
After being called up on Chuu Bra, I thought the best way to convey my point (short of threatening you into watching it) is to make a short review.

Chuu Bra is a series on lingerie. When girls enter puberty, they have all sorts of questions about their own bodies; some discuss it with their mothers or friends, while others are either too shy, or not at liberty to talk about such "shameful stuff", or unable to get proper information - and this is where this series come in.

To put the audience more at ease on the subject, there is a (excessively) large amount of panty shots in the first couple of episodes, but the theme is always focused on the utility and usage of underwear. That the main character is a girl, the villains are a trio of social terrorist girls and a self-righteous old lady, the lack of any incestuous love between the main lead and her brother, all these elements clearly show that this is a serious shoujo. With its wealth of information for which guys have no use at all, anyone watching it solely for cheap panty shots will soon move on to some other more exciting show.

What is the proper size of a comfortable bra, how to properly adjust one, when and why to start using one at all, why the panties for a prepubescent girl are cut differently from the ones for a developing girl, these are not things of interest the male audience, but rather are aimed at educating pubescent girls on themes they have difficulty finding answers.

After seven years I have finally followed through on your original rec for Chuu Bra for the e-list. I only watched episode 4 ( the one you recommended ) and it was probably the most disturbing watch I've had in a while, since you painted it as educational and it was clearly some weird lolicon blush fest meant to get little girls as stripped down as possible without them being fully naked. Some weird shit. -1 Chuu Bra.
Jul 27, 2020 2:27 AM

Oct 2012
Maegil said:
After being called up on Chuu Bra, I thought the best way to convey my point (short of threatening you into watching it) is to make a short review.

Chuu Bra is a series on lingerie. When girls enter puberty, they have all sorts of questions about their own bodies; some discuss it with their mothers or friends, while others are either too shy, or not at liberty to talk about such "shameful stuff", or unable to get proper information - and this is where this series come in.

To put the audience more at ease on the subject, there is a (excessively) large amount of panty shots in the first couple of episodes, but the theme is always focused on the utility and usage of underwear. That the main character is a girl, the villains are a trio of social terrorist girls and a self-righteous old lady, the lack of any incestuous love between the main lead and her brother, all these elements clearly show that this is a serious shoujo. With its wealth of information for which guys have no use at all, anyone watching it solely for cheap panty shots will soon move on to some other more exciting show.

What is the proper size of a comfortable bra, how to properly adjust one, when and why to start using one at all, why the panties for a prepubescent girl are cut differently from the ones for a developing girl, these are not things of interest the male audience, but rather are aimed at educating pubescent girls on themes they have difficulty finding answers.

-1 for Chuu Bra

Didn't think this post would haunt me 7 years later, but lo and behold. Creepy as fuck. Why was this ever brought up? I hope you are nowhere near any children.
Jul 27, 2020 11:14 PM

Mar 2009
Pretty sure Maegil is lost at sea.
Jul 28, 2020 1:33 AM

Oct 2011
Ignore us Jack. We were just facing down some old demons.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (73) « First ... « 71 72 [73]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.