Forum Settings
Forums

[CLOSED] Anime Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend [CLOSED]

New
Jan 21, 2013 3:20 AM

Jan 2013
Attention! Welcome, aspiring Uber-Elitist, to the Uber-Elitist Enlightenment Camp. During your stay, you will work hard to become the best Uber-Elitist you can be. Below, you will see your training regiment’s guide; watch the anime in the Enlightenment List, and refine your tastes. These are the series and films that we democratically put together in hopes of saving your soul from the damnation of a plebeian existence. Together we shall fight against ignorance and promote thoughtful discussion on the medium. Good luck, recruit. Follow the rules, and don’t take your training too hard. Dismissed!

Enlightenment Camp Rules and Procedure
[/center]

Enlightenment List

Magna Charta Veritatis (Enlightenment Chart)

For full size, click here.
*NOTE 1* This list is always open for improvement; please make suggestions for additions/removals. If there's no consensus on certain titles, we'll poll it to resolve the dispute.
*NOTE 2* By posting suggestions on this thread, you claim to be a superior human. Be ready to prove it!
Enlightenment Purgatory:
Please see rules before posting.

Key: Enlightenment Polling, Relations Polling, Re-Polling

I will also try to add anything that is recommended, but please give me at least a couple reasons why you think it is impressive enough for the prestigious enlightenment list! If a series remains in New Mentions with only one positive vote for a while, it will be brought up to raise discussion, but if it is unrecognized it will be removed (if it is later recognized for its merits it may be easily added again).
[*]Added to New Mentions: Onii-sama e..., Ie Naki Ko, Ashita no Joe
[*]Promoted to Purgatory: Bartender, Mushishi Special, Area 88 (OVA), Akage no Anne, Sky Crawlers, Sora no Woto, Rescue Me!, Heartcatch Precure, Giant Killing, Barakamon
[*]Polling Dates Scheduled:
[*]Added to Enlightenment: Hyouge Mono, Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Azumanga Daioh, Kyousou Giga (TV), Katanagatari, Lupin III, Hunter x Hunter (2011), Mobile Suit Gundam 0080, Ping Pong, Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199, Erin
lordzeruAug 21, 2015 12:16 PM
My favorite genres: good Quality, better Quality, best Quality, Über-Quality.
Scoring criteria: Existence does not precede Essence.

Current status: OFFLINE. Even if not really.
I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (73) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 21, 2013 3:40 AM

Aug 2009
Not a single Satoshi Kon work on the list? Tsk tsk tsk.
Jan 21, 2013 3:50 AM

Jan 2013
Instead of complaining, be proactive and suggest some. Tsk, tsk!

I have no Facebook, no Tweeter and no latest fashionable social network. Mail me only if you absolutely must, and I still won't promise to answer: the postman might have been shot by an automated sentry, blown up by a mine, eaten by a shark, or something.
Jan 21, 2013 3:55 AM

Nov 2007
If it's supposed to be a list of 'great anime', then

Maegil said:
Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi
Mugen no Ryvius
Kite
Hen Zemi
Cat Shit One
Tenchi Universe

watwhy?

As for suggestions, you can start by adding some titles from this club.
Jan 21, 2013 3:57 AM

Aug 2009
Maegil said:
Instead of complaining, be proactive and suggest some. Tsk, tsk!

No. As a true elitist, I shall just stand on the sidelines and look down on others. :P

tsui_mokei said:

Indeed, C&C have plenty of great anime in the relations.
Jan 21, 2013 4:19 AM

Oct 2011
tsui_mokei said:

In fact, I think you can go ahead and add all the relations from C&C.
Jan 21, 2013 5:13 AM

Jan 2013
tsui_mokei said:
If it's supposed to be a list of 'great anime', then
Maegil said:
Shijou Saikyou no Deshi Kenichi
Mugen no Ryvius
Kite
Hen Zemi
Cat Shit One
Tenchi Universe
watwhy?

Removed - except for Mugen no Ryvius, and plagiarized the C&C list.

Praise me!

Jan 21, 2013 5:50 AM

Aug 2009
Maegil said:

Praise me!

This reminded me of something...I see Mushishi is recommended in this list now (and rightfully so), so I see it my duty to ask the officers for clarification as to why Mushishi is in this club's relations.

Btw, I just remembered another list of worthwhile anime, so I thought I'd share it. I'm not asking for these to be added to the enlightenment list, just putting it here if anyone's interested in watching some good stuff.
List of Worthwhile Anime
Jan 21, 2013 6:13 AM

Nov 2007
metamorphius said:
why Mushishi is in this club's relations.

Because it's too overhyped for a simple Pokemon rip-off bug of the week story, obviously.

And to the list I'd also add Paranoia Agent, Lain, Texhnolyze and Inferno Cop.
Jan 21, 2013 6:16 AM

Aug 2009
tsui_mokei said:
metamorphius said:

Because it's too overhyped for a simple Pokemon rip-off bug of the week story, obviously.

Yeah, obviously, silly me for asking. xD
Jan 21, 2013 6:30 AM

Jan 2013
metamorphius said:
While I haven't yet seen Mushishi , Archaeon (one of my most respected reviewers) gave only two 10s out of 1073 completed animes - and this is one of them; thus I also vote for removing it from the relations list. This is not to say that I insist on also keeping it in the Enlightenment list, though; as I said, I haven't even watched it yet.

tsui_mokei said:
And to the list I'd also add Paranoia Agent, Lain, Texhnolyze and Inferno Cop.
Trick question: to which list?
MaegilJan 21, 2013 6:40 AM

Jan 21, 2013 9:27 AM

Nov 2011
To the list on here- Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood belongs. By far one of the best anime of all time and it deserves it's ranking in the top 5.

Revolutionary Girl Utena also belongs on here. Maybe. It's hard to say, it's a phenomenal series, no doubt, but it's not for everyone- But it predates Princess Tutu and is the inspiration for that series.

I'd also argue that Full Metal Panic is incredibly overrated. I've tried to watch it several different times, but I can never get past the first few episodes. This coming from a huge GONZO fan, mind you.
Jan 21, 2013 10:14 AM

Jan 2013
Amberleh said:
To the list on here- Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood belongs. By far one of the best anime of all time and it deserves it's ranking in the top 5.

Revolutionary Girl Utena also belongs on here. Maybe. It's hard to say, it's a phenomenal series, no doubt, but it's not for everyone- But it predates Princess Tutu and is the inspiration for that series.

I'd also argue that Full Metal Panic is incredibly overrated. I've tried to watch it several different times, but I can never get past the first few episodes. This coming from a huge GONZO fan, mind you.
I'm adding "Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood" and "Revolutionary Girl Utena" to the list, and removing "Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid"; however, "Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu" stays due to being one of the most hilarious shows I've had the pleasure of finding in anime.

As stated, in case of disagreement, please open a poll.

P.S.: a summary execution order has been issued on Amberleh for poor grammar without being German nor Master Yoda, and for sounding like a fangirl. Have a nice day. ;)

Jan 21, 2013 10:54 AM
Aug 2011
I previously had ~70 10's and ~50 9's. I think I've changed enough already.

Being a "Favourite" on your list doesn't actually mean "Best" in any case.
Jan 21, 2013 11:44 AM

Nov 2011
Gash_V-D_Hetchum said:
I previously had ~70 10's and ~50 9's. I think I've changed enough already.

Being a "Favourite" on your list doesn't actually mean "Best" in any case.

No, it doesn't, which is why I didn't suggest Sailor Moon, X, or a number of other anime that aren't on my favorites list that I do consider to be favorites, such as Ga Rei: Zero and Oban Star Racers.

It is possible to remove your bias when suggesting things. I suggested Brotherhood and Utena because they are genuinely fantastic series. Utena though, as I said, is a hit or miss for most people.

And if I sound like a fangirl, it's because I am one. I will not deny my on frivilous tendencies.
Jan 21, 2013 12:14 PM

Apr 2012
How come I don't see Inferno Cop on this list?
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 21, 2013 12:51 PM

Jan 2012
While I can confirm that there are indeed some good anime on that list, it seems quite lacking...
Here's my contribution:

Virtual_BS's list of must-see anime:

IF you are to IMPROVE YOUR TASTE, you WILL WATCH EVERY ANIME IN THIS POST or DIE TRYING. (The ones in bold are especially important.)

I understand that people like different stuff, so I've listed things from many different genres.
Don't claim to have 'good taste' before you've watched and enjoyed at least half of this list and all the ones in bold.

Also Note: Many of these have sequels. You're not allowed to count it unless you've watched all seasons.

Disclaimer:

NyaaJan 21, 2013 2:31 PM
Jan 21, 2013 12:54 PM

Jan 2013
BloodRequiem said:
How come I don't see Inferno Cop on this list?
For the same reason you don't find "Thermae Romae": however hilarious as it may be, its production values are too low to make it a shining exemple of an enlightening anime; besides, being so new, it's very very likely just another overhyped show... But ths is my opinion; please feel free to poll for it.
MaegilJan 21, 2013 1:00 PM

Jan 21, 2013 12:55 PM

Aug 2009
That Virtual_BS's list had me in stitches.
Jan 21, 2013 1:30 PM

Jan 2013
A troll's list of must-see anime:
  • Angel Beats! - It's on the relations list.
  • Asobi ni Iku yo! - Surely you MUST be joking.
  • ~Monogatari series (Bakemonogatari, etc.) - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Black★Rock Shooter - It's on the relations list.
  • Blood+ - It's on the relations list.
  • Chobits - I agree to adding this.
  • Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! - It's on the relations list.
  • Clannad and Clannad: After Story - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Darker than Black - Its sequel is on the relations list; this one... I don't think so.
  • Death Note - I agree to adding this.
  • Dennou Coil - It's already on the enlightenment list.
  • Dog Days - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Dragon Crisis! - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • El Cazador de la Bruja - Poll for its inclusion, I'll vote no.
  • Elfen Lied - It's on the relations list.
  • Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children - Poll for its inclusion, I'll vote no.
  • Freezing - It's on the relations list.
  • Gosick - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Haiyore! Nyaruko-san - Surely you MUST be joking.
  • Hidan no Aria - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Highschool of the Dead - It's on the relations list.
  • Kanokon - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Kanon (2006) - It's on the relations list.
  • Kiss x Sis - Poll for its inclusion, I'll vote no.
  • Koe de Oshigoto! - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? - Poll for its inclusion.
  • Kuttsukiboshi - It's already on the enlightenment list.
  • Last Exile - I agree to adding this.
  • Madlax - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica - I agree to adding this.
  • Mirai Nikki (TV) - It's on the relations list.
  • Myself ; Yourself - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Nazo no Kanojo X - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Nichijou - Poll for its inclusion, I'll vote no.
  • Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Noir - Poll for its inclusion, I'll vote yes.
  • Ookami to Koushinryou - It's already on the enlightenment list.
  • Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi - Poll for its inclusion, I'll vote no.
  • Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai - It's on the relations list.
  • Ro-Kyu-Bu! - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Rosario + Vampire - Surely you MUST be joking.
  • School Days - Poll for its inclusion, I'll vote no.
  • Seikon no Qwaser - Surely you MUST be joking.
  • Seitokai Yakuindomo - Surely you MUST be joking.
  • Sekirei - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Serial Experiments Lain - Poll for its inclusion, I'll vote yes.
  • Shakugan no Shana - It's on the relations list.
  • Shukufuku no Campanella - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Sora no Otoshimono - Poll for its inclusion, I'll vote no.
  • Strike Witches - Surely you MUST be joking.
  • Suzumiya Haruhi Series (Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu, etc.) - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • To LOVE-Ru - Poll for its inclusion, I'll vote no.
  • Toaru Kagaku no Railgun] - Its parent story is on the relations list, but poll for it if you want (I'll vote no).
  • Toaru Majutsu no Index - It's on the relations list.
  • Toradora! - Poll for its inclusion, I'll vote no.
  • Yosuga no Sora: In Solitude, Where We Are Least Alone. - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
  • Yumekui Merry - Poll for its inclusion, I don't know it.
MaegilJan 21, 2013 1:48 PM

Jan 21, 2013 1:52 PM

Jan 2012
Maegil said:
It's a bit early to call it a troll list if you don't know of most of these.
I could say the same about your list then.

You are right about one thing though:

I think you must have already noticed that I didn't check the club relations or my rating when making this list.
Besides, the club relations is supposed to be a list of shitty anime.
(Although it seems more like anything goes, as long as it's popular.)
No-one takes anything seriously around here anyway.

NyaaJan 21, 2013 2:11 PM
Jan 21, 2013 2:13 PM

Jan 2013
Virtual_BS said:
It's a bit early to call it a troll list if you don't know of most of these.
Hey, don't blame me, I'm not looking for a flame war; it was you who called yourself a troll!
Virtual_BS said:

[friendly banter mode] In any case, I do know most of them - may I call you a troll now? [/friendly banter mode]

Jan 21, 2013 2:26 PM

Jan 2012
Maegil said:
In any case, I do know most of them - may I call you a troll now?
If that's what makes you happy.

People will still have to watch them if they want to decide whether I'm trolling or not.
Jan 21, 2013 5:33 PM

Nov 2011
Virtual_BS said:
Maegil said:
In any case, I do know most of them - may I call you a troll now?
If that's what makes you happy.

People will still have to watch them if they want to decide whether I'm trolling or not.

Actually, I know the majority of those and with a FEW exceptions, such as Lain, Darker than Black (season 1), Madoka, Last Exile and El Cazador de la Bruja, I would say it's a troll list.
Jan 22, 2013 11:11 AM
Jul 2018
Angel's Egg (Tenshi no Tamago) needs to be added to the list.
I'm also in favor of Lain and Texhnolyze being added to the list as well.
removed-userJan 22, 2013 11:15 AM
Jan 22, 2013 11:47 AM

Jan 2013
Tenshi no Tamago - I had never heard of it, but maybe I'll troll the Cogito Ergo Sum club with it and see what they say about it... yes, I'll do that!
*EDIT* Oops, it's already in their relations list. Silly me!... OK, I'll add it for now; if anyone is against it please say so.

As for the others: I dislike Lain (while realizing that apparently I'm the exception) and don't know Texhnolize, but will add them if I get one more indication.
MaegilJan 22, 2013 12:10 PM

Jan 22, 2013 12:26 PM

Aug 2009
Angel's Egg is a highly symbolic and artistic work. I am not surprised that Cogito Ergo Sum club have it in their relations.

EDIT:
I have nothing against Lain and Texhnolyze being added either, even though I didn't really enjoy the latter much.
metamorphiusJan 22, 2013 12:35 PM
Jan 24, 2013 2:01 PM

Nov 2011
I would say put Record of Lodoss War OVA on the enlightenment list. Not polling it for several reasons:
1. Most younger/newer anime fans probably haven't heard of it, which is one of the reasons it should be on the enlightenment list
2. It certainly doesn't belong on the relations list by any stretch- Not just saying this because I like it, but there is really no reason for it to be there
3. I don't think it would hurt to throw it on there.

As to why it SHOULD be on there:
1. It's a classic- THE classic fantasy anime. Every old school anime fan has at least heard the title.
2. It's the only anime that really captures Western style fantasy as we know it, as it was based on a Dungeons and Dragons campaign
3. Due to it's age and the fact that it hasn't been liscensed in the US in almost a decade (the companies that did own it here went bankrupt long ago), most people just haven't heard of it, which is too bad.
4.It's not a particularly amazing series, but it is a classic and I believe it is the series that coined the 'anime elf ears'- The very long, tapered ears you see on anime elves/demons.
5. It's the only anime that has dwarves. THE ONLY ONE.
6. Deedlit- No, seriously- If someone were to ask a room full of anime fans to name one elf from any anime, the majority of the answers would be "Deedlit". She is the quintessential anime elf.
7. One of the few anime to feature not just dragons, but Western dragons- And not just pictures or memories of them, but to have them physically there in the world. The only other one that comes to mind right away is Fairy Tail although I know there are a few more.
AmberlehJan 24, 2013 2:07 PM
Jan 24, 2013 2:15 PM

Jan 2013
I second the motion; it is both classic and quintessential - in many ways.

Jan 24, 2013 2:20 PM
Jul 2018
Unlike many new anime fans, I started out with the "classics" and so I have seen the Record of Lodoss War OVA. Personally, I loved the dub and it most certainly beats the crap out of the current anime season in terms of characters and plot.

Question: Is The Twelve Kingdoms on the Enlightment list yet?

Also, has anyone else here seen Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still?
Jan 24, 2013 2:23 PM

Nov 2011
Neane1993 said:
Unlike many new anime fans, I started out with the "classics" and so I have seen the Record of Lodoss War OVA. Personally, I loved the dub and it most certainly beats the crap out of the current anime season in terms of characters and plot.

I second Twelve Kingdoms. I still need to finish that one.

I haven't seen any of the Giant Robot stuff but I would assume it belongs on the enlightenment list as I have heard of it many, many times over the years.
Jan 24, 2013 2:24 PM

Aug 2009
Neane1993 said:

Of course! How wouldn't it be?
It's listed as Juuni Kokuki.
Jan 24, 2013 2:27 PM
Jul 2018
Amberleh said:
Neane1993 said:

I haven't seen any of the Giant Robot stuff but I would assume it belongs on the enlightenment list as I have heard of it many, many times over the years.

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still is easily one of the best anime out there.

I will write down why this anime is great in the spoiler (About 4 months ago someone asked me if Giant Robo is good, I answered him and I copy-pasted that answer in the spoiler below.

There's no fanservice, no anime cliches, just great fun.
Jan 24, 2013 4:12 PM

Oct 2010
Gintama? That's too long for me.

I'm rather surprise that Colorful(Movie) is missing on the list.

This movie one of those slow paced story that defines the importance of life. This also won the following award.

>Excellent Animation of the Year at the 34th Japan Academy Prize and is nominated for Animation of the Year.
> Animation Film Award at the 65th Mainichi Film Awards.
> Audience Award and Special Distinction prize at the 2011 Annecy International Animated Film Festival.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorful_(film)
Jan 24, 2013 4:21 PM

Apr 2012
You forgot Boku no Pico.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 24, 2013 10:40 PM

Mar 2009
Had to stop in to tell you that plebeians is abbreviated as plebs, you plebs.
Jan 25, 2013 4:35 AM

Aug 2009
AlabastreAizo said:
Had to stop in to tell you that plebeians is abbreviated as plebs, you plebs.

"Plebe" is the term used for a trainee at a military academy. So, if one observes the use of the word in the light of the topic's title "Enlightenment Camp" being an allusion to a military camp (which, I think, is fairly obvious given the kind of speech Maegil uses in the first post), "plebe" can be regarded as the correct spelling of the term.
metamorphiusJan 25, 2013 4:43 AM
Jan 25, 2013 5:34 AM

Jan 2013
Thank you, metamorphius!

Now, back on topic:
For reasons mentioned above, I'm including Record of Lodoss War and Colorful(Movie). However, I won't just add Boku no Piko, for as seriously it may have been handled, I think it's still a title for a fringe audience; as always I'm open to discussion. Better yet, if you truly think it's that good, poll for its inclusion.
I'm also renaming Juuni Kokuki to Twelve Kingdoms, as it's better known in an English-speaking board.

By the way, Astro Boy and Mahou Tsukai Sally - keeping in mind their historical importance, are these titles also to be considered quintessential classics?
MaegilJan 25, 2013 5:38 AM

Jan 25, 2013 10:30 AM

Nov 2011
Maegil said:
Thank you, metamorphius!

Now, back on topic:
For reasons mentioned above, I'm including Record of Lodoss War and Colorful(Movie). However, I won't just add Boku no Piko, for as seriously it may have been handled, I think it's still a title for a fringe audience; as always I'm open to discussion. Better yet, if you truly think it's that good, poll for its inclusion.
I'm also renaming Juuni Kokuki to Twelve Kingdoms, as it's better known in an English-speaking board.

By the way, Astro Boy and Mahou Tsukai Sally - keeping in mind their historical importance, are these titles also to be considered quintessential classics?
-

Eeerrrrmm...

I'm 100% sure that the Boku no Pico thing was a joke. Kinda like how back in the day, La Blue Girl was a troll rec. Boku no Pico is just the new La Blue Girl, except Pico is actually offensive whereas La Blue Girl is just absurd. But uh, yeah, Boku no Pico is always a troll rec.

As far as Astro Boy goes, while it is a classic and should be revered as such, I seriously don't think that anyone should have to subject themselves to watching it. I tried once, it's honestly painful. I know it was the first anime, but holy crap. The animation... I mean you compare it to Disney cartoons of that period and there's just no comparison whatsoever. Then again, anime has always been more lax on the whole 'animation' part, despite that being what it's name is abreviated from.

I mean you could go ahead and put it on there anyway, but it would only be for namesake because I highly doubt anyone would actually go and watch it. They might start to but probably give up almost immediately.
Jan 25, 2013 10:31 AM

Jul 2012
I believe you are missing "Gurren Lagann" from your list of must see.
Jan 25, 2013 10:39 AM

Nov 2011
Battlechili1 said:
I believe you are missing "Gurren Lagann" from your list of must see.

Ah, yes. This.

And if anyone disagrees, I, the super elitist queen of analyzing and explaining deconstructions/reconstructions can explain why Gurren Lagaan is very good and actually has a LOT more to it in addition to also being entertaining enough to the average viewer who isn't looking for any sort of psychological insight.
Jan 25, 2013 10:39 AM

Aug 2009
Amberleh said:

I'm 100% sure that the Boku no Pico thing was a joke.

I too am certain it was a joke. Boku no Pico is a common troll recommendation on MAL.

Thumbs up for adding Colourful to the list.

I'd also suggest Hadashi no Gen (aka Barefoot Gen). It's similar to Grave of the fireflies in themes and equally hard to watch. But it's an essential viewing imo (and not only for anime fans) even though it's not a kind of anime one can enjoy. As Archaeon puts it in his review, it is "a movie to be experienced.[...] It is both a lesson and a warning for future generations of the true horror of nuclear and atomic weapons, and I urge everyone [...] to watch the movie."
Jan 25, 2013 2:59 PM
Jul 2018
I'll support TTGL.
It's not one of my favorites, but it's a hell of a lot better than most of the anime on the Top Anime list.
Jan 25, 2013 3:32 PM

Apr 2012
I just noticed the lack of Katanagatari in this list.

So I'll suggest Katanagatari.
Jan 25, 2013 3:36 PM

Jun 2012
TTGL is the only 100% action shounen show that I'd actually tell people to watch

it also was in the list of worthwhile anime
Jan 25, 2013 3:50 PM

Aug 2009
SSC_Exin said:
I just noticed the lack of Katanagatari in this list.

So I'll suggest Katanagatari.

I second the suggestion.
Jan 25, 2013 4:03 PM

Jul 2012
Neane1993 said:
Amberleh said:
Neane1993 said:

Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still is easily one of the best anime out there.

I will write down why this anime is great in the spoiler (About 4 months ago someone asked me if Giant Robo is good, I answered him and I copy-pasted that answer in the spoiler below.

There's no fanservice, no anime cliches, just great fun.

I second Giant Robo: The Animation. It's amazing.
Jan 25, 2013 4:07 PM

Jan 2013
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has been added to the Enlightenment list after undisputed multiple recommendations. If anyone opposes, please open a poll for its removal.

Jan 25, 2013 4:10 PM

Oct 2010
Yeah Gurren Lagann is needed in the list. So does Katanagatari.

I believe that we should consider Uchuu Kyoudai on the list despite it still an ongoing anime. Well I just thought of that because the show so far proven itself to be worth following with its slow paced slice of life story.
Jan 25, 2013 7:31 PM

Aug 2009
mlcdl said:

I believe that we should consider Uchuu Kyoudai on the list despite it still an ongoing anime. Well I just thought of that because the show so far proven itself to be worth following with its slow paced slice of life story.

I second this notion. The slow pacing of the show is what actually makes it a strength and not a flaw or weakness. If anything, it's a breath of fresh air from recent slice of life animes I've seen, but it's probably because of the seinen demographic it appeals to. I don't know.

Also, Uchuu Kyoudai is one of the few shows that does moe right. That's got to count for something, right?

Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (73) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

TrishaCat - Jan 25, 2013

1161 by GanXWeed69o7 »»
Aug 19, 2023 12:15 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

30 by Ducat_Revel »»
Jun 21, 2023 2:29 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.