Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Shinsekai yori Episode 16 Discussion

Jan 19, 2013 6:27 AM
AlexGK said:
The episode really gave me the feeling that Saki loved Maria and is with Satoru only because he is the only thing left, not because she likes him. Is that what the anime team wants to hint? Pathetic.

It's not so unusual for 14 y/o girls to fall in love with the same sex. Prolly the next episode will tell us how it goes later. For, Saki turns 26 in the next ep.

Jan 19, 2013 6:49 AM

Great episode, finally the brainless children are starting to wake up and have a backbone, been waiting for this, the whole.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Jan 19, 2013 7:07 AM

Yep, a great episode. So emocional and sad... I loved Maria's letter and Saki's nightmare too.

And another timeskip, the last one. Can't wait to know what will happen.
"Nobody knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite"- Rintarou Okabe

Jan 19, 2013 7:24 AM

F OFF Satoru, how dare you ntr. I want my Saki x Maria.

Jan 19, 2013 7:27 AM

After seeing the Shin Sekai Yori manga, I really do not want to see another sex scene. I understand that the implied intercourse Satoru and Saki had at the end of the episode was probably because both needed comfort, but I don't watch this series so I can see people hump each other. Fanservice in this series regarding yaoi/yui/het pairings is inevitable, though, considering how sex plays a big role in the novel, which at least makes bearing with it less cumbersome.

On a lighter note, the art in this episode was amazing. I really liked the sunset Satoru and Saki saw on the mountain as they set up camp. Maria's letter was sad, but insightful. The imagery of people falling apart and compilation of previous scenes was also well done. Plus, the nightmare with Shun and those other beasts felt like they represented Saki's interpretation of her memories, such as when she met one of the Queens of a Queerat colony and witnessed her trying to eat one of her own children. The tall man-like monsters that loomed over Saki were probably representations of the adults in her village. I guess I'm getting carried away, but I think that's what the nightmare felt like to me. I also wish we'd get to see Shun's face again.

The timeskip is also getting me excited. I really cannot wait for next week now.

Jan 19, 2013 7:55 AM

Another great episode. Next episode we get adult Saki :3
I still hate Squealer.

I'm pretty sure the sex scene will be done in a flashback, since it's kind of a key scene.

Jan 19, 2013 8:17 AM

Great episode, a lot of speech but great insight.

Just one thing to note is very interesting. So the human society was fearing their children, making them disappear, while the queerats did the exact opposite.... they immobilized their mother, the queen, because they no longer wanted to obey her rules.... Saki is angered at the way they dealt with the queen, yet she is trying to cope with basically the same situation, if not even more gruesome, of her village. Im not sure I like this. I mean I am expecting a lot out of saki, considering how she reacts to violence she definitely has to take a more clear position towards what is happening in the human world.

Jan 19, 2013 8:25 AM

So horrible that the queerrats would be willing to kill off two of their own people just to please the "gods." If I were Saki, I would of opposed to it.

That dream is making me curious to who exactly was in it, but my speculation might be true so I won't say anything.

Man, Satoru's voice in the preview is so weird.

Jan 19, 2013 8:29 AM
MoonageDaydream said:

That's because it's NOT Satoru's voice...

rishardew said:
I'm pretty sure the sex scene will be done in a flashback, since it's kind of a key scene.

Maybe but I doubt it. And it's not really a key scene, just a really sad and powerful scene. It's not the part when they remembering Shun like someone else said...

Jan 19, 2013 8:36 AM

kpk10 said:
MoonageDaydream said:

Who else would be in her house telling her this?

Jan 19, 2013 8:40 AM

leesan said:
F OFF Satoru, how dare you ntr. I want my Saki x Maria.

Pfft that ship has sunk deeper than the Titanic.
The Art of Eight

Jan 19, 2013 8:46 AM

The new opening or Ending that was placed in the beginning was a surprise ._.

Looks like Maria is going to have to die, shame. The flashback between Maria and Saki was sweet and added more depth to their relationship.

That's my Satoru, taking advantage of a women when she's vulnerable.

The next episode will be another time leap, now they're going to be 26, damn.

Modified by Darkjolly, Jan 19, 2013 9:13 AM

Jan 19, 2013 8:57 AM

this show is so tragic,lol.
I dont know how they are going to fill up 9 episodes when they are already 26.

Jan 19, 2013 9:01 AM
MoonageDaydream said:
kpk10 said:
MoonageDaydream said:

Who else would be in her house telling her this?

It wasn't in her house but in her place of work.

Jan 19, 2013 9:01 AM

Great opening, but Satoru! D:<

Well, seems like there will be another time skip. I wonder what the rest of the episodes will be about?

Jan 19, 2013 9:23 AM
At first I thought Maria's good bye song was the OP. It was so confusing, like nooow they put in the OP? Such a cute song though, I love Maria, why do they have to go??? (TT^TT)
BUT OH MY GOODNESS SATORU'S SLEEPING FACE IS TO DIE FOR!!
Way to slap fans in the face for the lack of the sex scene (>3<)!

Jan 19, 2013 9:33 AM
karkatbooty said:
At first I thought Maria's good bye song was the OP. It was so confusing, like nooow they put in the OP? Such a cute song though, I love Maria, why do they have to go??? (TT^TT)

I don't care about the sex, I knew they won't show much anyway.

But they could AT LEAST show us them kissing. I mean we saw Saki and Maria kissing and Satoru and Shun kissing...

Jan 19, 2013 10:26 AM

eminagnam said:
AlexGK said:
The episode really gave me the feeling that Saki loved Maria and is with Satoru only because he is the only thing left, not because she likes him. Is that what the anime team wants to hint? Pathetic.

It's not so unusual for 14 y/o girls to fall in love with the same sex. Prolly the next episode will tell us how it goes later. For, Saki turns 26 in the next ep.

Im not having problems with that, its just that they animated that quite clearly, while when it comes to hetero scenes one kiss seems too much. Same goes for Satoru, his affections towards Shun were shown clear as day. Compare that with his relationship with Saki. Really, it seems both would prefer to be with their old homo crush if you ask me.

kpk10 said:
AlexGK said:
Roboris said:
AiCon said:
myuun said:
Right?! Or at least like a little bit of them doing it (like him on top of her or something that wasn't too revealing). Something like that. Even if it was just a little bit. ヽ(゜ロ゜;)ノ
I feel like I would be way more accepting of that ten second after sex flash if I hadn't read the novel spoilers. OTL they really missed a huge development portion though and that's what I am so frustrated about.
They weren't afraid to some nakedness with loli Maria and Saki, but they couldn't show us a few seconds of Saki laying down with Satoru on top of her? WTF?!

Tbh i doubt they ever planned on showing sex between two 14 year old.
Yuri/yaoi scenes only involved kissing/hugging and nothing else.
The lack of on-screen sex shouldn't rly ruin one of the best episodes of the series...

Really? Well, I think it does. And I dont understand what the hell the stuido is doing. They had no problems animating the homo stuff, I think they would have had no problems going to the same extend with the hetero. I wonder why they didnt. Bias?
For me, it really ruins the series. What is their problem, damn it!

Huh?

Saki doesn't see Maria like that. Sure she loves her but not LIKE THAT.

I think Maria knew it too, that's why she didn't ask for Saki to come with her. She also saw in episode 14 how Saki "chose" Satoru over her when she went after him instead of staying behind with her and Mamuro. I mean Satoru did tell her not to come and was surprised to find out that she did.

Im not convinced. It looks the exactly "LIKE THAT" kind of love to me.
Mamoru asked Maria not to come after him for the exact same reasons. What was Saki supposed to do? Stay and make triple with Maria and Mamoru? Thats my point - they made it look like Saki, Maria and Satoru would really prefer to be with their homo counterparts, but didnt because it was the right thing to do. With Shun it was different. Both him and Saki wanted to be with eachother more than with their homo counterparts, at least thats the impression the anime team gave us. Cant really compare any of that with Satoru-Saki, they just look forced with eachother.

Jan 19, 2013 10:28 AM

kpk10 said:
karkatbooty said:

But they could AT LEAST show us them kissing. I mean we saw Saki and Maria kissing and Satoru and Shun kissing...

My point exacty!

Jan 19, 2013 10:34 AM

They had sex? It didn't seem like it to me in the episode but after reading some of the responses on here, it seemed that it's part of the plot. Very disappointing if that was the case because there really wasn't any hint at all!

I'm looking forward to the next time skip - it still seems a little confusing and too mysterious at the moment and I need some answers!

Jan 19, 2013 10:36 AM

Darkjolly said:
That's my Satoru, taking advantage of a women when she's vulnerable.

Hilarious!

Jan 19, 2013 10:38 AM
AlexGK said:
kpk10 said:
karkatbooty said:

My point exacty!

You're right about that.

Saki and Satoru are the main two characters and the true OTP (One True Pairing) of this series.

But the anime failed to show it.

They failed in a lot of things. In early episodes almost no one realized that Saki and Satoru were actually best friends, even more than Saki was with Maria. So people were surprised when in episdoe 5 they seemed to care a lot for each other after they kept arguing all the time before that.
Modified by kpk10, Jan 19, 2013 10:41 AM

Jan 19, 2013 11:22 AM

BakaGekai said:
They had sex? It didn't seem like it to me in the episode but after reading some of the responses on here, it seemed that it's part of the plot. Very disappointing if that was the case because there really wasn't any hint at all!

They were naked. Every single other time any character in this show is shown sleeping, they leave all their clothes on.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.

Jan 19, 2013 11:27 AM

Now that I think about it, it is kind of odd that Squealer and the other queerrats would be helping Maria and Mamoru fake their death when they're just the children and it's the older "gods" they would be rebelling against.

Jan 19, 2013 12:21 PM

this anime is awesome

Jan 19, 2013 12:25 PM

ushioxo said:
Airies said:
they should do a two episode hentai ova and explain everything through them fucking.

That would be perfect.

lol

Jan 19, 2013 1:19 PM

OMG an Opening lol and the anime is 26 episode in. I thought that at first but then realized it was just a flashback between Saki and Maria. This anime gets better and better with every episode. Now we get to see them as adults and the queerrats look more influential. I really hope Saki remembers Shun at one point. And This anime also has an amazing Ending. Saki is a great character with alot to show

Jan 19, 2013 1:20 PM

Damn this episode was so good.

I will remember this as one of my most favorite episodes.

Damn I also want the OST cd 2. I love the new soundtrack the opening track was wonderful and later there was another really good one.

This anime is by far A1-Pictures best shot ever.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXwerVFCY-50PTBnedey1PQ

Jan 19, 2013 1:51 PM

kpk10 said:

You're right about that.

Saki and Satoru are the main two characters and the true OTP (One True Pairing) of this series.

They failed in a lot of things. In early episodes almost no one realized that Saki and Satoru were actually best friends, even more than Saki was with Maria. So people were surprised when in episdoe 5 they seemed to care a lot for each other after they kept arguing all the time before that.

I completely agree with everything you have said so far. They definitely didn't do a good job in actually making it seem like Satoru and Saki liked each other. In episode five it was just thrown in there and, although it wasn't bad, right after that throughout the rest of the episodes there were just mere hugs and conversations, but not that much going on between them.

And for them to not even give us a kiss, even if it was a small kiss, and then all of a sudden just throwing them in bed together without even demonstrating what happened, was kind of... really irritating.

Jan 19, 2013 2:02 PM

darkmar7 said:
OMG an Opening lol and the anime is 26 episode in. I thought that at first but then realized it was just a flashback between Saki and Maria. This anime gets better and better with every episode. Now we get to see them as adults and the queerrats look more influential. I really hope Saki remembers Shun at one point. And This anime also has an amazing Ending. Saki is a great character with alot to show

Don't worry. She will have remembered everything by the next episode. Tomiko said that once she's an adult, she can do whatever she want with her memories and there's no way Saki would choose to not get her memories back.

Jan 19, 2013 2:05 PM

kpk10 said:

Weird cause i got the feeling Saki and Satoru were really close from the very beginning and i didn't know anything about the novel. I think most people are simply looking for physical contact and ignoring everything else to determine the bond between the characters in this anime (and considering how their society works that's clearly not a good idea...).
wheresthehandle said:
BakaGekai said:

They were naked. Every single other time any character in this show is shown sleeping, they leave all their clothes on.

Yea, that and they were sweaty...

Jan 19, 2013 2:31 PM
myuun said:
kpk10 said:

You're right about that.

I completely agree with everything you have said so far. They definitely didn't do a good job in actually making it seem like Satoru and Saki liked each other. In episode five it was just thrown in there and, although it wasn't bad, right after that throughout the rest of the episodes there were just mere hugs and conversations, but not that much going on between them.

And for them to not even give us a kiss, even if it was a small kiss, and then all of a sudden just throwing them in bed together without even demonstrating what happened, was kind of... really irritating.

Yep.

But you know, there was this guy that gave spoilers for the novel and he said that Saki and Satoru remembered Shun during their sex scene. Well, that's actually not true. They still don't remember him and therefore can't really get over him and move on with their feelings for each other.

That is why while they are acting like a couple in the third arc they're not REALLY together. They even
Modified by kpk10, Jan 19, 2013 2:36 PM

Jan 19, 2013 3:19 PM
myuun said:
kpk10 said:

You're right about that.

Personally I think that people were supposed to assume that they were best friends from their "bickering childhood friends" relationship. I mean, they argued THAT much and still didn't hate each other. We were prolly supposed to assume that the studio was using a character trope to descrhibe their relationship. It was also pretty clear that Satoru liked Saki from the beginning. Also, it was the two of them in the same boat during the trip instead of Saki and Maria or Saki and Shun (but I think Shun went solo cause he's better at rowing with telekinesis than everyone else).

I kinda figured out that they were really good friends from the beginning, but after reading a lot of the comments I do agree that there are probably a lot of small details that were left out and inconsistencies from the book. It's probably why the anime isn't that popular in Japan considering the popularity of the book. They couldn't fall back on moe characters like SAO did.
(Don't get started on SAO, I didn't think it was bad, but let's be honest, it paled in comparison to the light novel.)

Jan 19, 2013 3:43 PM

I feel that maybe they're trying to do a Clannad with the omission of any sexual interaction (although Clannad was extreme in that there wasnt even a kiss scene) to heighten the emotional interaction, or some shit like that!

Still, a really gripping and engaging series!

Jan 19, 2013 3:54 PM
kpk10 said:
myuun said:
kpk10 said:

You're right about that.

Yep.

But you know, there was this guy that gave spoilers for the novel and he said that Saki and Satoru remembered Shun during their sex scene. Well, that's actually not true. They still don't remember him and therefore can't really get over him and move on with their feelings for each other.

That is why while they are acting like a couple in the third arc they're not REALLY together. They even
ok, but what exactly make you think that the anime wants to make their relationship identical to the one in the novel?

Jan 19, 2013 4:49 PM
pinotto90 said:
kpk10 said:
myuun said:
kpk10 said:

You're right about that.

Yep.

ok, but what exactly make you think that the anime wants to make their relationship identical to the one in the novel?

great point pinotto. this is why i hate these people who keeps commenting and posting spoilers about what happened in the book or novel, or how its so much better or complains about how its not following the novel or how its suppose to be.
"....i am the villain in this story"

Jan 19, 2013 4:56 PM

finally the adult arc next week! i'm so excited

Jan 19, 2013 5:00 PM
amginex said:
great point pinotto. this is why i hate these people who keeps commenting and posting spoilers about what happened in the book or novel, or how its so much better or complains about how its not following the novel or how its suppose to be.

Agreed. They are such spoilers who ruin entertainment. And yes there is no rule anime have to follow the original. The decision would depend on the creator.

Jan 19, 2013 6:04 PM
I agree with above. I thought this episode did fine without the scene. Plenty will happen after the timeskip anyway--can't wait until next Friday!

For those who say that they remembered Shun and that it was key to the story, that isn't 100% true. For those who care for what happened in the text
It's more of the fact that they both realized they still loved "a boy who was not in this world anymore," and that they were almost "indirectly" making love to someone who only existed in their memories. So for the Saki/Satoru shippers who are mad that they didn't show the scene, IDK. Even though they're making love to each other from technical standpoint, it's also both of them realizing that they're using each other as a semi-surrogate for someone else
Modified by youngrace, Jan 19, 2013 6:27 PM

Jan 19, 2013 6:18 PM

Firstly, I hope that wasn't an opening song in the episode, perhaps just a one-time musical trip down memory lane, and secondly, this was a great episode!

My suspicions were confirmed that the queer rats are related to humans, they're possibly descents, mutated by some sort of scientific genetic mutation by those scientists who created the society in the first place. However for them to have the skull and meaning the bran capacity as the humans yet not use cantus? Seems a bit fishy. Perhaps cantus isn't really inherited...

Also, I empathize with Saki completely. I liked how Maria did do well to point out Saki's flaws, since all we've been expecting is her to be a calm controlled kid who could one day be the leader of the whole council. I just despise Mamoru for being a little weakling though. I hope if we ever see him again that he changes.

I was also intrigued that Saki was starting to see a bit of Shun in Satoru. That's a bit comforting, because while Satoru has a really nice gentle nature now (although I miss his humorous, intense nature as well, hope that's still there), if he gains the perceptive qualities of Shun, I think Saki would be able to connect with him on a more personal level as she did with Shun.

Also wonder if that long haired guy in Saki's nightmares is some manifestation of Shun? And what is the village going to do if Saki and Satoru run? All that will be left is sheep people with no opinions of their own. And we need to find out what Yakomaru is up to or I'm going to die from paranoia.

Jan 19, 2013 6:18 PM

It's really disturbing what Shun(?) said to Saki
And the queerat is getting closer and closer to the village
Nice letter and memories at the beginnning

Jan 19, 2013 6:22 PM

Roboris said:
kpk10 said:

Weird cause i got the feeling Saki and Satoru were really close from the very beginning and i didn't know anything about the novel. I think most people are simply looking for physical contact and ignoring everything else to determine the bond between the characters in this anime (and considering how their society works that's clearly not a good idea...).
wheresthehandle said:
BakaGekai said:

Wait...then how the hell did he fall asleep so fast?! And I seriously thought that the reason they were sleeping naked together was because body heat could be better shared (since they were sleeping in an igloo and all) and the reason they were sweaty was because the fire (how else could we see Saki's face in the dark?) and extra body heat was causing too much heat which was causing them to sweat....But if it was a 'do it!' scene then that's a disappointing portrayal of it :/
Modified by Spirai, Jan 19, 2013 8:03 PM

Jan 19, 2013 7:20 PM
kpk10 said:
karkatbooty said:

True!! At least show them kissing JUST ONCE!!! Hopefully, a kiss scene from the both of them will come soon!

Jan 19, 2013 8:10 PM

pinotto90 said:

I'm pretty sure they don't intend modify the main relationship of the novel too much.
People expect adaptations to be as faithful as possible to the original and they definitely don't want to betray those expectations (not everyone can pull an "evangelion:manga version" and still expect to sell well). The anime is alrdy hard enough to market as is.
InfiniteGenesis said:
It's probably why the anime isn't that popular in Japan considering the popularity of the book. They couldn't fall back on moe characters like SAO did.
(Don't get started on SAO, I didn't think it was bad, but let's be honest, it paled in comparison to the light novel.)

That's probably because the Novel audience is not the usual anime/light novel target audience (among other things). As in, not used to buy the expensive bluray releases that come out shortly after tv broadcast.

Jan 19, 2013 9:13 PM

I wanted to read the novel but no translations..T_T..
It's more detailed in the novel than the anime..

Today's episode is good! I love this anime..

Jan 19, 2013 10:32 PM

I...assume they had sex for a reason? One that we will eventually know?

Jan 19, 2013 11:17 PM

That was a trippy dream sequence

Frick I really need to learn not to press the spoiler buttons on these discussions >_<
Spirai said:
Roboris said:
kpk10 said:

wheresthehandle said:
BakaGekai said:

Wait...then how the hell did he fall asleep so fast?! And I seriously thought that the reason they were sleeping naked together was because body heat could be better shared (since they were sleeping in an igloo and all) and the reason they were sweaty was because the fire (how else could we see Saki's face in the dark?) and extra body heat was causing too much heat which was causing them to sweat....But if it was a 'do it!' scene then that's a disappointing portrayal of it :/

This is what I thought as well, I was like "did they..? Naaah..."
But then I was reading the discussion and what people had to say about the Novels. If they don't do some sort of flashback or something they're really skipping out on a big piece of development.
Redfoxoffire said:
I...assume they had sex for a reason? One that we will eventually know?

Oh and so let me get this straight. Saki loved Shun, then started loving Maria, possibly just to distract her from Shun, but in the end she really loves Satoru who was gay for Shun who was also gay for Satoru, but Satoru really loves Saki because they were actually the closest out of all of the group since they were kids, even though the flashback seems to portray Saki and Maria growing up very close and falling in love with each other? Is that right?

itsvero said:
What dream Shun said corroborated with Saki's monologue about Maria's birth in episode 2.

I feel like I've forgotten something extremely important. What was this monologue?
Modified by QuiGonJon, Jan 19, 2013 11:32 PM

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.

Jan 20, 2013 7:46 AM

Hrm. When I get down to it, nothing really happened in this episode to move the series forward...

Jan 20, 2013 8:01 AM

The episode was very emotional. Too bad for Maria/Saki relation but i can see it as a sweet ending though. :/

I don't agree that the anime didn't show how Satoru and Saki are close but I understand that after the first arc the relation kind of fades. Episode 8 made me think that was a completely different story from the first arc, except for the feelings Saki still nourishes towards Shun (and I really feel bad for her because of that, for her sake I would prefer she with Maria for real, and not thinking about Shun and suffering).

A lot of spoilers about the sex scene (during the episode I only thought maybe 'cause of the bonobos and the high amount of distress they were in, making sex a probable need) and if it's that important I hope they can make a flashback later, really don't worry about it now.

Anyway, really loved the episode and I'm thinking about how Saki may be important to the society development, hopefully in a better way than it actually is going so far with so many tragedies and sad for all in it. Maybe she can find a better way 'cause the way I see it, not sure if it is good at all to live like that. Maybe they should just live like the bonobo society completely, probably the best solution to avoid violence lol. ;)

Jan 20, 2013 8:19 AM

yep, really nice episode :) next ep another time skip? :O

Pages (5) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

Preview MangaManga Store