Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Shinsekai yori Episode 16 Discussion

Mar 4, 2015 12:43 PM
Acid flashback

The level of discussion on MAL sometimes depresses me. So much written about the OP or the insinuation of sex between them, when there was so much going on in the chapter. Maria's letter was absolutely beautiful and clarified for me why she left with Mamoru. It also raises the absolutely vital point of questioning the society that the adults had created. What point is there in living in such an awful system based on distrust? I wonder if/when Maria shows up again what she will do to make her infamous.

There's also more than ever the insinuation that Squeeler and co are at one point going to present a huge challenge for their community. I wouldn't be surprised if we get an uprising soon.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 13, 2015 9:12 AM

YES!!!! Three characters out, two to go!!!!!

I dont like any of the main 5 cast. Now only two to go.

The story if great, but the characters are not.

It was an alright episode. I hate flashback episodes. I really do. I hated them in Fate/Zero, I hated them in White Album 2, etc

And yes, we get it. The adults are the bad guys and the children are not. How many times has that been done in anime already? Its really cliche.

This anime should just make Squealer and his creation of society the anime. They seem to be more interesting than the main cast.

So they started straight.....Went yaoi/yuri....and are now back to straight.... I know this is TV and all...... BUT COME ON!!!!!!
Modified by ooo333, Mar 13, 2015 9:21 AM

Apr 13, 2015 8:49 PM

A nice letter. Anyway, another timeskip next episode? Sounds fun :D

Apr 24, 2015 5:22 AM

What a sorrowful way to end the episode. ;-;

I'm confused as shit though, srs. Why is Maria in danger? I assumed she was going to be punished for helping Mamoru escape or something along those lines, but this entire episode pretty much implied the education committee is as paranoid of her as they are Mamoru, even though no episode prior implied that. I think "Narrator Saki" even said at the end of the episode Maria is the one who has to die...? Seriously, I don't get it.

y123y said:
It was an alright episode. I hate flashback episodes. I really do. I hated them in Fate/Zero, I hated them in White Album 2, etc

scrub ass nigga

y123y said:
So they started straight.....Went yaoi/yuri....and are now back to straight.... I know this is TV and all...... BUT COME ON!!!!!!

I am under the impression there is no "homosexual" or "heterosexual" in their society, and it seems they do not live in a society that emphasizes monogamous relationships either. I believe Maria said something in her letter about Saki being "one of her favorite lovers" or something like that...

In short, that whole modifying human genes to be more "love based" or whatever created a society where, y'know, people just love each other and don't think about who they love or how many people they love.

Sep 24, 2015 10:42 AM

kpk10 said:
Also, they skipped over Saki and Satoru's sex scene!!!

NOOOOOO!!!

I mean, it was still obvious that they had sex but I wanted to see more...

What? It was obvious? Lol - > ^ the sex scene, _ my head.

Sep 27, 2015 9:44 AM

Bye Maria and Mamoru :(
Anyway very good episode, the letter was well done.

Was really confused by an opening all of a sudden though :D

Oct 2, 2015 5:38 AM
I want to love this show. I love the setting so much and the slightly different visual style actually adds to the creepy vibe. But these characters are just so stupid to the point where they just feel alien. Nothing Saki does is logical or relatable. Sex with anyone cos of a Bonobo gene, trusting Queerats for no reason, not having serious issues with the killing and removal of fellow classmates and then not doing anything about the constant brainwashing.

If I wasn't told that after the last time skip is meant to be the peak of the series, I'd have dropped the show by now. Hopefully things do improve.

Oct 3, 2015 9:13 AM

ok I have questions about this ep and all I see here are people talking about sex, is that all they care about? Viewers are all so shallow....... really disappointing.

When they said that they were desperate and they were willing to use all means available so they trusted the queerats, but they turned out to be the one used. What did this mean? What did the queerats did in this event that betrayed their trust? I feel like I missed out on some important details.
How do I signature?

Oct 3, 2015 12:57 PM

Blitzkriag said:
ok I have questions about this ep and all I see here are people talking about sex, is that all they care about? Viewers are all so shallow....... really disappointing.

When they said that they were desperate and they were willing to use all means available so they trusted the queerats, but they turned out to be the one used. What did this mean? What did the queerats did in this event that betrayed their trust? I feel like I missed out on some important details.

some parts that are told are meant for the future ^^ :/
in ep 2 or 3 there was also following text at the end "maria was very weak when she was born. If she would have died at thie moment, many people would have lived longer.... " :P so you should wait a bit longer XD there are all the times hints in the anime for what will happen in the future but what exactly happens should be watched ^^
My favorite quotes from animes:

Those who seek miracles will never experience one. The hand of salvation only extends to people
who try to make miracles happen. - Ef a tale of melodies.
I destroy worlds. I create worlds. - Code geass
We are humans. - Shinsekai yori
100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups, 100 squats, and a 10km run EVERY SINGLE DAY!!! - One punch man

Oct 31, 2015 10:33 AM

I didn't know they had sex until I read this topic lol.

Feb 19, 2016 11:39 PM

SO happy that someone finally talks sense, fuck yeah Maria!

Siva said:
If you look at it this way, Mamoru opened Maria's eyes and Maria open Saki's eyes to see what their village really IS.
Fucking finally!!

Feb 25, 2016 7:22 PM

Although the OP song is amazing, but I think it was better without it.
It was a bit sad when Saki was reading that letter.
Great Episode.

Mar 20, 2016 4:26 PM

So OP... not a fan at all. Glad to see the ED is still intact though. I hate the monster rat story lines. They are just un appealing to me. Curious to see how the next time jump fits in.

Apr 9, 2016 4:57 AM
myuun said:
tingy said:
What?!? O_o They had sex?

I was actually about to ask all of you guys. Did the have... sex? Because that was part was confusing. And in the novel, the sex between Satoru and Saki took a big role in their memories and future.

;__; I'm so disappointed and angry if that was the sex! ( ≧Д≦) 。゜THAT WASN'T EVEN GOOD SEX. that was just them naked sleeping next to each other. Nothing else. I will admit that the hugging and cuteness was pretty adorable, but I'm just. Really disappointed now. .-. The sex was necessary in this case. If they can show Saki/Maria and Satoru/Shun all over each other they can show Saki and Satoru, the ONE couple that actually does end up happening. щ(゜ロ゜щ) TOO UPSET. They better do it again as adults and it better be done right. I want at least five minutes of a sex scene. (´∩`。) 。:゚(I'm so angry right now I could punch someone.)

BUT. Putting that aside, I did enjoy everything else. I thought Maria's goodbye was pretty well done. I love the fact that her leaving made a lot of sense and how she explained everything so beautifully. The really girly intro OP (which wasn't even an OP, just like a song for memories) was okay... like not fantastic or mind-blowing. It was just okay. Pretty cute though I must say. They were both adorable as little children. I'm also dead set that there is gonna be a war between the rats and the humans. I am almost certain. Shit is gonna go down between them.

I don't know. Now I'm just too angry at the fact that that was probably the sex scene and I'm just. I'M UPSET.

SSY I love you, but. /shakes head Not today.

So, they both remembered Shun when they were having sex.....Well, that must have killed the mood haha.

Aug 2, 2016 3:13 AM

Good points about the screwed up society in Maria's letter. Everything is twisted because the current situation is fragile and uncertain even with their powerful Cantus, just one warped or uncontrolled PK user of the existing tens of thousands could disrupt the very fragile order that maintains that society's existence so they tend to be paranoid about everyone, especially the unreliable young ones who are most susceptible to lose "it". What's normal is relative in any given society and their current society isn't normal by ones outside it both in time, distance and circumstances.

Woah they did it, huh? About damn time in my opinion. LOL Just vent a little tension here and there.
Nothing is an absolute reality, all is permitted.

Aug 21, 2016 8:31 AM

Nice OP, that was a surprise.

What an ridiculously long letter written by Maria. I doubt it will fit in one paper though.

Yeah, they had sex, LOL.

Woah, another time skip. Little hyped.

3.4/5

Sep 13, 2016 9:11 PM

This really is a coming of age anime. They made a yaoi and yuri type have sex with each other. Dayum.

Anyway, Maria's letter was sad. It's sadder to think that they're doing sex out of "heat" or what they would say as "Bonobo"

Also wow, that's Shun right? I mean yeah she loves Shun and all, but don't tell me she have sex with Satoru because she forget about her first love, Shun lol.

Sep 17, 2016 10:56 PM

Love love loved the part of Saki reading the letter from Maria. Gave me some feels. The director did a really nice job with this scene, definitely one of my favorites from the entire series.

Oct 1, 2016 7:47 PM
Satoru and Saki probably just went to sleep in underclothes.

Oct 17, 2016 6:19 PM

Ok episode....not much really happened

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Nov 6, 2016 1:11 AM

A time skip again? I bet that they get their memories wiped again.

Nov 17, 2016 9:00 PM
Supreme Tsundere

This older Saki narrating is killing me, she is giving so many hints towards Maria, like, anyone can imagine she will either became a karma demon or a fiend... these last episodes have been playing alot with my feelings, seeing Maria and Saki first meeting was so sweet T_T

Dec 10, 2016 10:00 PM

Finally, no more homo. I'm gonna miss maria and mamoru though :(

Looking forward to more sufferings :D

Dec 23, 2016 7:44 PM

im so sad, maria and saki had such a beautiful relationship, the note hurt my heart :(

also, SATORU AND SAKI HAD ANIME SEX IN THE FREEZING COLD HOW DID THIS HAPPEN WHAT DID I MISS I -

Dec 24, 2016 3:16 AM

Tengai said:
myuun said:

I was actually about to ask all of you guys. Did the have... sex? Because that was part was confusing. And in the novel, the sex between Satoru and Saki took a big role in their memories and future.

;__; I'm so disappointed and angry if that was the sex! ( ≧Д≦) 。゜THAT WASN'T EVEN GOOD SEX. that was just them naked sleeping next to each other. Nothing else. I will admit that the hugging and cuteness was pretty adorable, but I'm just. Really disappointed now. .-. The sex was necessary in this case. If they can show Saki/Maria and Satoru/Shun all over each other they can show Saki and Satoru, the ONE couple that actually does end up happening. щ(゜ロ゜щ) TOO UPSET. They better do it again as adults and it better be done right. I want at least five minutes of a sex scene. (´∩`。) 。:゚(I'm so angry right now I could punch someone.)

BUT. Putting that aside, I did enjoy everything else. I thought Maria's goodbye was pretty well done. I love the fact that her leaving made a lot of sense and how she explained everything so beautifully. The really girly intro OP (which wasn't even an OP, just like a song for memories) was okay... like not fantastic or mind-blowing. It was just okay. Pretty cute though I must say. They were both adorable as little children. I'm also dead set that there is gonna be a war between the rats and the humans. I am almost certain. Shit is gonna go down between them.

I don't know. Now I'm just too angry at the fact that that was probably the sex scene and I'm just. I'M UPSET.

SSY I love you, but. /shakes head Not today.

So, they both remembered Shun when they were having sex.....Well, that must have killed the mood haha.

On the contrary. Was wondering what the hell the novel readers were talking about so I went to the part of the novel that has the actual scene. BOTH of them had sex with the other imagining the other was the boy they both loved/lost (Shun). They used each other, and they both knew it.
I don't think that in itself is as a big deal as it sounds, though. The tragedy is that all their beloved friends are now gone and the two are the only ones that are left, so they find solace in each other. I imagine that the same happens to Maria and Mamoru.

Dec 25, 2016 12:31 AM

Amazing episode
Maria's last letter was well written, powerful, and emotional. You can actually tell how much Maria loved her in that letter alone. This was probably the favorite moment of the show though we'll have to see.

I actually hated Satoru, but he has certainly grown up. He's so damn considerate and emotionally supportive of Saki. Jesus he went from douchebag faggot to a real empathetic character. Now i'm not too upset that they got together lol. Then again, it is quite depressing because they probably had sex just to comfort each other since they both recently lost their loved ones.
Modified by zzzeally, Dec 25, 2016 12:37 AM

Dec 25, 2016 3:56 AM
Bunnyflower said:
Tengai said:

On the contrary. Was wondering what the hell the novel readers were talking about so I went to the part of the novel that has the actual scene. BOTH of them had sex with the other imagining the other was the boy they both loved/lost (Shun). They used each other, and they both knew it.
I don't think that in itself is as a big deal as it sounds, though. The tragedy is that all their beloved friends are now gone and the two are the only ones that are left, so they find solace in each other. I imagine that the same happens to Maria and Mamoru.

Now, that's pretty sad...but it makes sense.

Jun 23, 2017 9:52 PM

Sayonara, I Love You. Ep 16.

Plot: Maria explains many things in her letter. Her reasons for going with Mamoru, her despair and sadness on how she will most likely be forgotten by everyone, how the village treats the young. But most of all, she hopes they will meet again one day.

They decide to return with fake news of Maria and Mamoru being dead. Squeara agrees to corroborate this.

Afterwards, Satoru and Saki share an intimate moment seeing that all their friends are gone and it's just them left.

Character: Saki and Satoru sure have taken an emotional beating over these episodes. All their friends are gone, two of which they can't even remember, their village is full of assholes. What's next?!

Squeara is still a creepy bastard.

Maria is a true sweetheart.

Animation/sound: That strange OP was quite good seeing it over Saki's memories of Maria. That girl had it bad for a long time. Also seeing those two along with Satoru and Shun was fun. Reminiscent of an innocent time.

5/5. It feels like something has ended.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.

Jul 1, 2017 10:19 AM

Pretty melancholic episode overall :/

The song at the beginning was cute, tho.
Kokoro did nothing wrong.

Oct 10, 2017 4:38 PM

Sad episode this time :( We get an OP (which is OK) and lots of visuals about Maria and Saki''s childhood, and the implication Saki was the first one who had a crush between them :P Lots of scenery shots this time and the music was great this episode too. Satoru and Saki are still trying to find Maria and Mamoru; Maria's letter was pretty heartbreaking :( Saki's dream sequence was really weird, and well their search is fruitless ... in the end it's just her and Satoru left huh? Plus it seems implied they slept together at the end too. I am guessing that they won't end up finding Maria and will just leave, seeing as how in the preview it seems we have a 12 year time skip this time :O

Oct 31, 2017 9:29 AM

It pains me to say this as a yuri fan, but not even this episode made me feel much of anything. On the bright side, I guess I was wrong; Maria was actually in love with Saki. So at least there's that. Turns out all the gay nonsense wasn't just play, I can kind of appreciate that. It could always be worse.

The people crying about "muh gay bias" though. That's real rich. Especially in anime. How out of touch does one have to be to believe that.

I could talk about the other things in the episode, but honestly, there's not a lot I can say. The skeleton talk was spooky, I guess. Perfect for Halloween. Nah but seriously, the show has some pretty interesting things in it, but I can't really get excited about it. By this point in an anime, at least the mere exposure effect should have made me care about the characters, but it hasn't hit me yet.
Modified by LeeTailor, Oct 31, 2017 9:38 AM

Feb 12, 2018 10:54 PM

One of my complains with this anime is the lack of caracterization for all the cast besides Saki and Satoru. It will much better if the pretimeskip focus much more in every character rather than just Saki and Satoru. Anyway, the plot is very good. 4/5
Life has no meaning.

May 9, 2018 8:40 PM

We're finally getting an opening? It's been past 15 episodes! Lol

Here's hoping that the sex scene will be more explicit in a flashback or something. Never read the novel, but looking through the thread, turns out it is pretty important so I hope it dives into the scene again with more detail.

Dec 20, 2018 12:47 AM

Wait, I think I missed something bc I didn't read the manga or maybe I'm just dense (innuendos tend to fly over my head often lmfao) but where was this supposed SakiXSatoru sex scene gonna go???? Haha xD Was it when they were on top of the hill looking at the sunset and he hugged her from behind? :3

I want in on this lmao xD

Nuuuu, I dun want Maria to die D: I just want Mamoru to turn into a Karma Demon LOLOL.

Jan 25, 8:52 AM

Maria's letter was beautifully done. The music and flashback shots shown were perfect. I also love how she questioned the ethics of the villages they grew up in. It's been obvious for us viewers for so long, but for kids that have been and still are being hypnotized, it's probably very hard to come to the conclusion that the society you've grown up in is completely fucked up.

5/5

Nurguburu said:
One of my complains with this anime is the lack of caracterization for all the cast besides Saki and Satoru. It will much better if the pretimeskip focus much more in every character rather than just Saki and Satoru. Anyway, the plot is very good. 4/5

This is also where I feel that SSY lacks the most. You can hardly consider Maria, Mamoru and Shun main characters. I felt sad during Maria's letter. Not because she was gone, but I felt really bad for Saki.
If only Mamoru, Maria and Shun had gotten more characterization, then their losses would have meant way more.

Feb 24, 7:12 PM

Never cared much about Maria but I gotta admit her letter was really heartfelt and some of her points regarding the villages were spot on.

Also another fucking Timeskip? And wtf is Squealer doing in the village, whats this rat bastard scheming now?

Apr 25, 3:39 PM

This episode broke my heart 5 years ago and it still does now.
I knew it was coming, but I wasnt ready.
Marias Sayonara and her letter have haunted me for a long time now. The insert song amplified it. I still get sad whenever I listen to it (its on my playlist as well as the first ED) and I guess this will continue for the next few years

I loved Marias character and her relationship with saki. Her saying goodbye to her long time friends and her lover to live with the last in the group of 4 because he had to flee always remind me of saying goodbye to friends myself. Thats why this hurts so much. Partings happen a lot in a lifetime. Sometimes you have to say goodbye to a really close friend and hope you will meet again, but never will.
As you grow older you lose friends and potentially lovers left and right, it all narrows down to a handfull of people you can actually consider friends. Years later you may look back and wonder what could have been. You remember the fun you had and you think about what you would do if certain people were still around.
This is also the second part of why this parting strikes so hard, they could have escaped together. Lived together. But it didnt happen.

I think Maria escaping without Saki was because she realised Saki wants to be with Satoru as well, and she didnt want to force them to give up a potentially happy life in the villages. This was quite well shown when Saki went after Satoru instead of staying with Maria.

Ultimately their individual situations forced them into the parings they have now, just like life, ironic.
Anyway. Fuck mamoru. If only he never existed.
Modified by Comander-07, Apr 25, 3:43 PM
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

May 21, 3:01 AM
The only OP of the series by Maria (KanaHana) with the letter and Maria x Saki flashback. That was sad.

And then, I was just frustrated by Mamoru. He does not fucking deserve Maria. She went with him because she was so kind.

Now when I think about it, Mamoru didn't do a single good thing. His whole character is just a plot device to make everything harder. A straighforward bad-written character imo. Also who saved him back then when the cat tried to kill him?

Squealer is shady af and he said something about similar bones? Is this a hint about Monster Rat used to be human?

So Saki and Satoru was supposed to have sex? And both remembered Shun? That's so weird lmao xD

Jul 15, 2:45 AM

It's rather easy to forget that this is a New World, rather than an Alternative Fantasy World.

And those moments of realisations are perhaps the point of the story.

Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

Preview MangaManga Store