Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 17, 2013 9:36 PM
Dec 2009
are there any good live action adaptaions of anime from Japan because American mess up their own already.I remember reading a live action death note was horrible and Gantz was so so. But i want to know can a transition from page to live action film can work
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 17, 2013 10:02 PM

Feb 2009
Oh God, yes! Great Teacher Onizuka has two different live action adaptations, along with a movie if I'm not mistaken. They're both really good, especially the newer one. Actually, I'm not much a fan of the anime, so the live action was quite a surprise.

Although others' opinions my vary on this one, I think Hana Yori Dango had a pretty good live action adaptation as well.
Jan 17, 2013 10:04 PM

Jun 2012
indeed sir :3
Jan 17, 2013 10:07 PM

Jan 2012
Ehhh I think is something people should stay away from... Unless you know what you're doing and have a pretty hefty budget (IE Transformers). I wouldn't mind seeing a live action of an anime that was really low budget.... To the point where you could tell....Like Death Note.
Jan 17, 2013 10:11 PM

Nov 2010
I've heard that the Nodame Cantabile live action was said to be better than the manga, because of it's setting. Action ones are hard to make well.
Jan 17, 2013 10:12 PM

Mar 2010
Depends on who's doing the adaptation... Most (all?) movies based on anime made in hollywood sucked in my opinion...
Also I recently seen Rurouni Kenshin movie and well... As a movie it was good. As an adaptation it sucked because creators decided to merge to story arcs and forgot to include the most characters that made that arc great in anime (imho)

Edit: I'm 83% sure that hollywood's adaptation of Akira will suck donkey dicks. But maybe that's just nostalgia speaking
WhisperBitJan 17, 2013 10:16 PM
"Then again, if she's not my sibling, there's no bling, either" - Ararararagi Koyomi
Jan 17, 2013 10:32 PM

May 2012
The typical problem with most adaptations is the need to compress a multi-episodes/arcs content into a movie length. Nodame Cantabile works because the adaptation is a drama series instead of a one-shot movie, giving plenty of time for character development. Once everybody is comfortable with the characters, they made the specials to end it (and they can go right into the story). Plus they actually shoot some of the special movies' scenes in Europe. Couple with the high profile stars and pretty decent attempt to follow the source material, it ended up great. Many of the drama series ones are good too, such as Hana Yori Dango (another high profile one).
Imo Death Note is good, but the second part clearly felt "rushed" to end it. I haven't read the source material of Gantz so can't comment on it, but the action is very well produced.

Another problem with adaptations are the liberty that the producers took to modify the content. Example is Zettai Kareshi drama series, converting the teen characters into adults. Some took extreme liberties (Hollywood adaptations), and others seem to try to fit a different content into the franchise (Mirai Nikki drama). Problem with these are that the modification may be well-intended, but it may alienate the fans that have the highest expectations. Or course, there's no excuse for the piss poor adaptations like Dragon Ball.

Many adaptations are also made-for-TV-specials instead of a full blown movie. Examples are Detective Conan and Ranma 1/2. Detective Conan is pretty good as the anime itself is episodic in nature, so no need to follow a particular arc. Ranma 1/2 is bad as it's cheaply done.

In all, it depends. Budget, producers, target audience, content, creator's involvement, etc.
Jan 17, 2013 10:54 PM

Aug 2012
I saw Kimi ni Todoke in a live adaptation; it was.... ehhhh....
Jan 17, 2013 11:37 PM

Aug 2011
I thought that the Rurouni Kenshin live action movie was excellent.
THe story wasn't as well done as I'd like, but the essence of the characters were very well represented in the movie, maybe even more so.

Also, the action scenes are not bad. :D
What I wish for is not to appear right, but for both of us to learn something new.
Is it so wrong to pursue the truth?
Jan 17, 2013 11:42 PM

Jun 2007
Some are godawful - some are fantastic.

Nodame's live action is quite possibly better than the show for example. Hana Yori Dango, Hana Kimi, and many others are pretty much awesome. Sadly, there are plenty of terrible ones too, like the Honey & Clover ones.
Jan 17, 2013 11:43 PM

Mar 2010
gensousekai said:
THe story wasn't as well done as I'd like, but the essence of the characters were very well represented in the movie, maybe even more so.

I'm not saying the movie was bad it just that it was disappointing. When I saw Kanryu with a gatling gun in the trailer I was like "Fuck yeah! Aoshi!" and then there was no Aoshi or Hanya and I was kinda dsappointed. I agree that movie was well made.
I don't want to even try to imagine what hollywood would have done with the franchise...
"Then again, if she's not my sibling, there's no bling, either" - Ararararagi Koyomi
Jan 18, 2013 12:02 AM

Aug 2011
WhisperBit said:
gensousekai said:

I'm not saying the movie was bad it just that it was disappointing. When I saw Kanryu with a gatling gun in the trailer I was like "Fuck yeah! Aoshi!" and then there was no Aoshi or Hanya and I was kinda dsappointed. I agree that movie was well made.
I don't want to even try to imagine what hollywood would have done with the franchise...

I suppose it was disappointing too. I just thought of it as a side-tangent for the main to have his little adventure. Though, true, the original Rurouni Kenshin anime was run more on the power of how much you liked the characters.
Also, the live action was made by an American company, probably threw out characters for more action focused on less characters.
It came out in HK in early Dec so I was lucky enough to see it before my friends when i went on a trip there. XP
What I wish for is not to appear right, but for both of us to learn something new.
Is it so wrong to pursue the truth?
Jan 18, 2013 2:05 AM
Aug 2012
I thought the drama to Hataraki Man was on par if not better than the anime (subject matter just suits it better having real people - I know sacrilegious statement).

Here's a clip (note: not actually very indicative of the drama :))

Also really liked Nodame's drama (you wouldn't think it would work - as there's a bit of slapstick - but it does. Plus the chick is really quite charming; both lead guy and girl really good).

Death Note movies were alright in my book - has bloke from Iron Chef in it! Nah - didn't think it was that bad.
Jan 18, 2013 2:31 AM

Mar 2012
Saw the Death Note movies on TV. They were shit. I tried watching the Rurouni Kenshin movie on a plane flight but I got bored about 20 minutes in and watched The Departed instead. Haven't seen any others but so far they haven't left too good an impression on me. Although I can see Usagi Drop working in live action. I'll have to watch the movie for it sometime soon.
Jan 18, 2013 2:41 AM

Nov 2009
Sometimes, i'd say 3/4 of the time is when a live action fails portraying what was needed to be portrayed
Jan 18, 2013 2:52 AM

Oct 2012
Maybe, maybe not.
Jan 18, 2013 3:10 AM
Mar 2011
if its based on a realistic premise then live action works better than anime like Hataraki Man for example while more animeish premises work better as anime

GTO worked cause it was well acted and also in live action verion the actor whoplayed him played more akin to a modern version of a much more famous fictional teacher [ with tastes of the manga chucked in] rather than the onizuka right from the manga and plus a 19.43 rating for that drama was more liked than the anime was
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Jan 18, 2013 3:17 AM

Sep 2011
Most of the time, no.

Jan 18, 2013 3:17 AM
Mar 2011
Sa-chan_ said:
Most of the time, no.

and if done by the west
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Jan 18, 2013 3:19 AM
Jan 2013
I saw Gokusen 3 and it was great
Jan 18, 2013 3:21 AM

Jun 2007
DateYutaka said:
if its based on a realistic premise then live action works better than anime like Hataraki Man for example while more animeish premises work better as anime

GTO worked cause it was well acted and also in live action verion the actor whoplayed him played more akin to a modern version of a much more famous fictional teacher [ with tastes of the manga chucked in] rather than the onizuka right from the manga and plus a 19.43 rating for that drama was more liked than the anime was

The actor who plays Onizuka in the original live action and film is actually who Tohru Fujisawa based Onizuka's personality (and facial expressions) on.

So he was, ultimately, playing himself - while the original manga was more of an adaptation of his existence.
Jan 18, 2013 4:09 AM
Jan 2013
Hmm.. No wonder why his expressions is so good
Jan 18, 2013 4:10 AM

Sep 2009
Ahri said:
Ehhh I think is something people should stay away from... Unless you know what you're doing and have a pretty hefty budget (IE Transformers). I wouldn't mind seeing a live action of an anime that was really low budget.... To the point where you could tell....Like Death Note.

>death note
>low budget

Did we watch the same anime?

Unless you just worded that badly and you meant the movie was low-budget.
Jan 18, 2013 4:19 AM
Mar 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
DateYutaka said:

The actor who plays Onizuka in the original live action and film is actually who Tohru Fujisawa based Onizuka's personality (and facial expressions) on.

So he was, ultimately, playing himself - while the original manga was more of an adaptation of his existence.

almost ever drama based around high school teachers so some debt to kimpachi sensei in stylistic structure and how episodes are paced

Jan 18, 2013 4:26 AM

May 2010
you guys have to watch live action of Usagi Drop...it's the only anime-based live action i like out there.
Life (manga-based) is decent. Uchuu Kyoudai is so-so, Bloody Monday is quite good (dunno what the original material is, but i've read the manga)
Jan 18, 2013 4:37 AM
Mar 2011
petalshreds said:
you guys have to watch live action of Usagi Drop...it's the only anime-based live action i like out there.
Life (manga-based) is decent. Uchuu Kyoudai is so-so, Bloody Monday is quite good (dunno what the original material is, but i've read the manga)

tokyo love story

Jan 18, 2013 4:48 AM

Jun 2007
This thread was - once - relevant to my interests. I went through a stage where I hunted down JP live-action adaptations; a number of which people aren't aware of in high numbers, such as Touch's.

Here's an unfinished but detailed(ish) blog post I made: http://myanimelist.net/blog.php?eid=88890
Here's a list on IMDB I haven't bothered with in AGES: http://www.imdb.com/list/uMFKcwJoNb0/
Jan 18, 2013 5:11 AM

Aug 2011
No, it loses the "anime" feel and some expressions and CG effects are awful
kek
Jan 18, 2013 5:35 AM

Dec 2012
Never watched any, I'm avoiding them.
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Jan 18, 2013 10:18 AM
Dec 2009
I asked because the xxxholic live action makes me worried and i notice alot of live action based on anime is seen as horrible
Jan 18, 2013 10:52 AM

Dec 2011
im4eversmart said:

This is why I avidly avoid them even if its a Japanese one.
Jan 18, 2013 12:01 PM

Jan 2012
Lindle said:
Ahri said:

>death note
>low budget

Did we watch the same anime?

Unless you just worded that badly and you meant the movie was low-budget.

That's what I meant lol. Give the green light to a hollywood producer and they could make the shinigami look real and not like uhhhh.... well in the movie...
Jan 18, 2013 12:02 PM

Aug 2011
It depends, but every now and then they're cool.

Jan 18, 2013 12:29 PM

Sep 2010
im4eversmart said:

It stops being anime just because of the technical differences between anime and live action. The "feel" of it has to do with the story, characters, directing, acting, music, and various other things that have to do with execution. And if you are only watching anime because it's animated then of course the anime "feel" will be completely lost in a live action movie. And I don't really know what the issue with CG is since CG as a tool has been implemented in almost every visual medium I can think of and the quality of the CG varies, just like everything.

The question itself, "Can live action movies work based on anime?" it so damned obvious it hurts. Yes, Live action can work for anime. This doesn't mean that live action works for anime all the time or that you will like any specific live action version of any random anime out there. It can work and the fact that live action renditions keep being made it kind of proves that on some level, for some people, it does work.

Jan 18, 2013 6:50 PM
Dec 2009
Anime_Name said:
im4eversmart said:

It stops being anime just because of the technical differences between anime and live action. The "feel" of it has to do with the story, characters, directing, acting, music, and various other things that have to do with execution. And if you are only watching anime because it's animated then of course the anime "feel" will be completely lost in a live action movie. And I don't really know what the issue with CG is since CG as a tool has been implemented in almost every visual medium I can think of and the quality of the CG varies, just like everything.

The question itself, "Can live action movies work based on anime?" it so damned obvious it hurts. Yes, Live action can work for anime. This doesn't mean that live action works for anime all the time or that you will like any specific live action version of any random anime out there. It can work and the fact that live action renditions keep being made it kind of proves that on some level, for some people, it does work.

i ask because i am looking for a live action that is almost universal accepted as good not excellent but good and almost universal as in 85- 90 % of consumers like

also people keep making live action out of popular anime, sometimes in goes wrong and they keep trying thats why so many are made trial and error
Jan 18, 2013 6:59 PM
Mar 2011
juken16 said:
Anime_Name said:
im4eversmart said:

i ask because i am looking for a live action that is almost universal accepted as good not excellent but good and almost universal as in 85- 90 % of consumers like

also people keep making live action out of popular anime, sometimes in goes wrong and they keep trying thats why so many are made trial and error

id go for tokyo love story voted by in tope five of best Dorama of all time my aoyagi readers
based on a manga

Jan 18, 2013 9:39 PM

Sep 2010
juken16 said:

Sorry but life isn't that easy and 51% is good enough for majority and to be considered a success. Why not just look for something you like and not rely so much on the opinion of others.

also people keep making live action out of popular anime, sometimes in goes wrong and they keep trying that why so many are made trial and error

Businesses keep making live action adaptations because of the successes or in other words the times those live action adaptations work. And apparently I have to be the one to tell that the deciding factor about what works or not is how much money the adaptations makes because money made is function of the number of fans that purchased it and goes beyond your personal opinion of liking anything or not. Consensus is a bitch when you're in the minority or worse yet the out-group.

id go for tokyo love story voted by in tope five of best Dorama of all time my aoyagi readers
based on a manga

Your "source" doesn't represent much considering that there are other polls done by bigger companies with better sampling procedures that are more in touch the today's fan as a whole. Hell, bringing up a list that isn't about Jdrama's based on anime/manga seems completely stupid in this topic. Or maybe self-serving considering your topic about those dramas is pretty much dead.
Anime_NameJan 18, 2013 9:48 PM

Jan 18, 2013 9:42 PM

Apr 2011
Peten00b said:
Never watched any, I'm avoiding them.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
Jan 20, 2013 7:26 PM
Aug 2012
Some work and some don't. Mostly shoujo anime/manga work really well.
Jan 20, 2013 8:52 PM

Jul 2011
The Death Note one was pretty horrible in my opinion, but I thought the 1998 adaptation of GTO was pretty decent.

The jury is still out on the 2012 one.
Jan 20, 2013 8:58 PM

Apr 2012
Lets check the track record

Street Fighter
Dragon Ball
Fist of the North Star
Uzamaki
Death Note
Gantz

Battle Royale

The only one I can think of that worked was BR, but that was a movie before a manga.
Jan 20, 2013 9:55 PM

Apr 2011
DrunkenBlowfish said:
The only one I can think of that worked was BR, but that was a movie before a manga.

Wait, wasn't the movie an adaption of the manga?

EDIT: You forgot Crows Zero, a live action adaption of the manga Crows.
Jan 20, 2013 9:59 PM
Mar 2011
live action witch are good to great
20 century boys
azumi
Lone wolf and cub
GTO
Kamen rider
Tokyo love story

Jan 21, 2013 1:11 AM

Jan 2011
Usagi Drop wasn't that bad...it lacked the cuteness of the anime-Rin, but overall quite enjoyable.
Wanna watch the Space Bros Live Action Movie...

yhunata said:

More like the manga and the movie are based on the same book.
messedupJan 21, 2013 1:14 AM
Jan 21, 2013 7:20 AM

Dec 2011
Guys....

Nodame Cantabile
Rurouni Kenshin

nuff said, these 2 are proof that live adaptations can turn out extremely well. As good as the Nodame anime is the live action is *almost* better. The only reason I wouldn't rate it higher is because the anime Nodame is a truly perfect character in every sense. Damn I miss that girl...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 21, 2013 7:57 AM

Jul 2012
LayedBack said:
Guys....

Nodame Cantabile
Rurouni Kenshin

nuff said, these 2 are proof that live adaptations can turn out extremely well. As good as the Nodame anime is the live action is *almost* better. The only reason I wouldn't rate it higher is because the anime Nodame is a truly perfect character in every sense. Damn I miss that girl...

me too :(
Jan 21, 2013 8:16 AM

Aug 2011
What? I personally loved the Death Note adaption. They took most of the Mello/Near stuff out.
Jan 21, 2013 8:23 AM

Apr 2011
itsvero said:
What? I personally loved the Death Note adaption. They took most of the Mello/Near stuff out.

If it had been the other way around, and the Mello/Near stuff was in the movie and manga, but not the anime, people would be whining about how the anime sucks.
Jan 21, 2013 8:55 AM
Jul 2018
My experience is, the Great Teacher Onizuka and Death Note movies were O.K. But the animes were way better, probably because you can do so much more in animes, real life has it's limits, after all.
Jan 26, 2013 6:51 AM

Apr 2012
yhunata said:
DrunkenBlowfish said:

EDIT: You forgot Crows Zero, a live action adaption of the manga Crows.

A book actually. The manga was made later.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

50 by EastIndiaCompany »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » So, is anime male or female?

Tirinchas - Apr 22

39 by Tirinchas »»
4 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst

EastIndiaCompany - Yesterday

28 by EastIndiaCompany »»
9 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

186 by Zarutaku »»
29 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

24 by M_MASTER »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.