Forum Settings
Forums

Looking for battle of wits/ mind games type of mangas and animes

Jan 17, 2013 11:08 AM

I'm looking for mangas and animes where people need to rely on their wits to overcome certain situations, or outsmart someone, it can be about anything.

for example:
Liar Game
Death Note
One Outs
Code Geass (first season)
and maybe the newer JOJO mangas (season five and upwards)

Jan 17, 2013 12:28 PM

Umineko no naku koro ni - main character plays a game of wits with a witch to discover the truth. Full of mindfucks.

Jan 17, 2013 12:29 PM

Lost brain - manga very similar to death note.

Jan 17, 2013 12:34 PM

Kaiji- it's about gambling, in many situations main character must outsmart the opponent. Maybe you'll like that too.

Jan 17, 2013 12:46 PM

Kurosagi (manga)

Jan 17, 2013 12:50 PM

Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.

Jan 17, 2013 4:12 PM

Tavor said:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes

yes x2, I really need to re-watch that masterpiece some time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 17, 2013 4:59 PM
giant killing maybe?
hey you..that middle finger is looking at you

Jan 17, 2013 5:09 PM

seconding Kaiji & Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Jan 17, 2013 5:35 PM

Mirai Nikki-is a psychological anime about a battle royale to the death, also most of the players in the 'survival game' have a strategy.

Steins Gate-I haven't finished it yet. Basically they're fighting an evil organization called "SERN" and it's mainly over the internet and a battle of wits.

Jan 17, 2013 5:43 PM

MEanimaniac1 said:
Mirai Nikki-is a psychological anime about a battle royale to the death, also most of the players in the 'survival game' have a strategy.

Steins Gate-I haven't finished it yet. Basically they're fighting an evil organization called "SERN" and it's mainly over the internet and a battle of wits.

...You really need to learn the "all shared" button.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.

Jan 18, 2013 6:50 AM

ill give Umineko no naku koro ni and Lost brain a try.
i thought giant killing was more of a classic spot anime, but since its seinen and one outs is its top recommendation ill give it a shot.
LotGH is on my (imaginary) on hold list.
I have already seen Kaiji and as Tavor mentioned i have seen/read Mira Nikki and steins gate.

Kurosagi seems to be the best recommendation so far it was on my ptr list and i really wanted to read it but i totally forgot about it.

Jan 18, 2013 7:03 AM

Umineko does battle of wits.

Umineko manga is a way better adaptation than the anime, the problem is that the part 3 of the manga is incomplete while the fourth is actually completed, i know... weird.

Jan 19, 2013 10:47 AM

Vanisher said:

Umineko manga is a way better adaptation than the anime, the problem is that the part 3 of the manga is incomplete while the fourth is actually completed, i know... weird.

Uminekos more of a mystery type right? oh well i recently discovered my love for the genre so ill definitely read it.

btw do you happen to know which episode contains the aforementioned missing/incomplete part, so that i may watch it when i get to that part?

Jan 19, 2013 10:54 AM

Crimson_V said:
Vanisher said:

Uminekos more of a mystery type right? oh well i recently discovered my love for the genre so ill definitely read it.

btw do you happen to know which episode contains the aforementioned missing/incomplete part, so that i may watch it when i get to that part?
Just read the VN if anything. The anime is an incomplete adaptation and the manga is still publishing. Umineko 3 has not been completely scanlated nor has it been licensed, whereas 1,2 and 4 have been both completely scanlated and licensed... It is incredibly stupid. Just to for the source material, the VN, which is the best version of the story.

You're gonna have to wait like another 2 years to be able to read the whole manga, and you'll never get the complete anime adaptation.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 19, 2013 11:11 AM

Akagi
Usogui

Jan 19, 2013 11:13 AM

Holybaptiser said:
Just read the VN if anything. The anime is an incomplete adaptation and the manga is still publishing. Umineko 3 has not been completely scanlated nor has it been licensed, whereas 1,2 and 4 have been both completely scanlated and licensed... It is incredibly stupid. Just to for the source material, the VN, which is the best version of the story.

You're gonna have to wait like another 2 years to be able to read the whole manga, and you'll never get the complete anime adaptation.

Well i'm not really into VNs, so i think i'll stick to the manga.

Jan 19, 2013 11:19 AM

Holybaptiser said:
Crimson_V said:
Vanisher said:

The manga is a legit adaptation of the novels (at least from what i read)
The problem is, as you said, it's still publishing, and it will take a WHILE to have every part finished.

Crimson_V said:
Vanisher said:

Yes it's a mystery, expect "strange" things though.

Part 3 in the anime its from episode 12 to 18 (including 18) i think.

The anime covers only parts 1-4, and parts 5-8 are still ongoing in the manga (at the same time, don't know why)
Modified by Vanisher, Jan 19, 2013 11:36 AM

Jan 19, 2013 11:39 AM

Vanisher said:
Holybaptiser said:
Crimson_V said:
Vanisher said:

The manga is a legit adaptation of the novels (at least from what i read)
The problem is, as you said, it's still publishing, and it will take a WHILE to have every part finished.
Yeah, Umineko's manga is a good adaptation of the VN, but not as good as the VN. I own the first volume.

Umienko 8 only started serialization in 2012 in a monthly magazine. If I'm right, there are gonna be 4-6 volumes in total for Umineko 8, each being 3-5 chapters long. The scanlating group waits for the volume releases to start scanlating them. If you do the math, 2 years is a big underestimation. I think the OP is pulling off a masochistic move by going for the manga, because less than half of it is available in English, nor is it even going to be complete anytime soon.

Let's not even consider Yen Express, because it has been 2 years since Higurashi has finished its serialization and their last volume release is scheduled for April 2014.
Modified by Holybaptiser, Jan 19, 2013 11:51 AM

Jan 19, 2013 11:57 AM

I think he should try the manga, and if he's REALLY into it he's eventually get to the VN.

It's hard to recommend someone to go to the VN right off the bat. unless he's already into others ryukishi works or VNs in general at least.
Modified by Vanisher, Jan 19, 2013 12:43 PM

Jan 19, 2013 12:02 PM

Vanisher said:
I think he should try the manga, and if he's REALLY into it he's eventually get to the VN.

It's hard to recommend someone to go to the VN right off the bat. At least he's already into others ryukishi works or VNs in general at least.
I'm not really try to discourage him from reading the manga, but rather informing him about what he is about to get himself into. And yeah, VN's are generally a snoozefest.

Jan 19, 2013 12:18 PM

Vanisher said:

Yes it's a mystery, expect "strange" things though.

Part 3 in the anime its from episode 12 to 18 (including 18) i think.

The anime covers only parts 1-4, and parts 5-8 are still ongoing in the manga (at the same time, don't know why)

thank you.

bergil said:
Akagi
Usogui

Well i dont see myself learning riichi mahjong so ill skip Akagi,
but Usogui is a nice recommendation it was on my ptr list, thanks for reminding me.

Jan 19, 2013 12:30 PM

Tobaku Haouden Zero
Doubt
13 Club
Modified by bergil, Jan 19, 2013 12:38 PM

Apr 4, 2013 1:22 AM
ohhhh I second Doubt....been searching for something similar to Doubt actually....(suggestions anyone? for mangas along the lines of 'game of death' sorta thing?'

The author for Doubt is currently working on a manga with a similar concept 'Judge' but it updates so slow D:

Birdcage Castle and Bloody Junkie both share a kind of 'game of death' theme. Both are very good...but very short and on-going atm...

Apr 7, 2013 12:12 PM

yes i have been reading Torikago no Tsugai, i just forgot to update my list, but Bloody Junkie, Doubt and Judge were on my list since a long time ago.

also i have finished reading Tobaku Haouden Zero, and all translated chapters of Tobaku Haouden Zero Gyanki-Hen it was a great recommendation thanks.

i have also finished all translated chapters of Usogui and i really enjoyed it, i have also read about 1/3 of Kurosagi and it has been great so far.

I have also read about 1.7 volumes of Umineko, and its not bad, but i was expecting a bit more.

I have also completed 13 Club and while i did enjoy it, in not quite sure if it falls into the battle of wits/ mind games category.

thanks for all the recommendations :D, and if you guys know of any more animes/mangas that fall into this category, than please post it.

Apr 7, 2013 1:28 PM

Haven't seen it yet, but i HEARD this is kinda similar http://myanimelist.net/anime/14353/Death_Billiards though it's only one special.

As i said i haven't seen it so i can't be sure, but you can try it. (i might watch it today)

Apr 7, 2013 1:45 PM

spice and wolf the mc is a merchant who solves his problem with wit. itsa good anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 7, 2013 1:49 PM

Read Fukumoto's stuff.

Also the battle wits stuff in Umineko doesn't really pick up until the answer arcs, but you can't skip Umineko 3 for that.
Modified by Holybaptiser, Apr 7, 2013 1:53 PM