Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 14, 2013 11:01 AM

Nov 2012
I used the search function and didn't find a topic like this.

I want to know what you guys think of cracked games.

Do you buy all of your games, even if you could download them for free?
Most console or pc games are kind of expensive, is it worth to buy them?
When do you think is it okay to pirate a game instead of buying one?
Do you think pirating is dangerous, cause the cops could find you..?

For me, I think you only can get best quality games by buying them. A lot of cracked games don't work properly and you can't play online (Minecraft, L4D2, other steam games).
But on the other side, it's much easier to get an awesome game and you don't need money at all.
For me as a mac user, I think it's an easy way to get some games, but yeah, it's not legal of course..

Other opinions please :)

Jan 14, 2013 11:24 AM

Apr 2010
I generally try a cracked variant of a game to see if i like it. No point in wasting money on something I may hate.

If I like a title, I generally purchase it later when it goes on a steam sale.
Jan 14, 2013 11:35 AM

Jun 2012
I pretty much stick to cracked single-player games or F2P online games.

I stay away from steam, although I do want to play on legit servers for a lot of stuff, like left for dead 1/2.
Jan 14, 2013 12:24 PM

Nov 2009
My old PS2 is dying of old age so I'll generally emulate most games for that now instead of having to buy a new one and a TV to play it on. Makes more sense to me at least.

The only games I actually buy on PC are ones where I believe multiplayer is a real benefit (E.G Battlefield 3)...that or it's a game where I want to have my achievements and the like recorded (E.G Sonic Generations)
Jan 14, 2013 2:56 PM

Feb 2005
I was doing that all the time. Then I found Steam.
Jan 14, 2013 3:40 PM

Nov 2008
Now that my PS3 is dead, I buy almost none. I've only ever bought two PC games.
I think buying is worth it for good online features and, if the game is truly special, collector's purposes.

Jan 14, 2013 4:29 PM

Jun 2012
I dont think its okay to pirate games, but i still do it. I dont have £20 every time i wanna go and try a new game. But if its on xbox then i will buy it, im going to buy p4 arena and such and of course if multiplayer is essential for it then that to. sometimes ill buy a random game that looks good while out in town or whatever but with PC its much easier to just search for a cracked version.
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Jan 14, 2013 5:42 PM

Jan 2013
Buy everything (except VNs and games that are now too old to find).
Jan 14, 2013 7:52 PM

Jun 2007
Steam.
Jan 14, 2013 11:22 PM

Sep 2010
anything that doesnt rely on multiplayer is cracked for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 14, 2013 11:46 PM

Jun 2007
If it's on PC and I'm interested, I'll buy it. Games nowadays aren't so expensive, especially on places like GMG, Amazon and Steam.

If it's on console I'll try it through GameFly and buy it if I enjoy it and it's either got a lot of replayability or is very long (which i'd rather just buy - if I enjoy it - instead of wasting time I could be using on another game while playing that one at a more relaxed pace).

No moral reasons or giving a shit about piracy, I'm just the type who'd rather do it legit "just because". Hell, even the (very few) western shows I watch and bands I listen to I'll typically get the legit route.
TallonKarrde23Jan 14, 2013 11:52 PM
Jan 15, 2013 2:06 AM

Nov 2011
_Core said:

Do you buy all of your games, even if you could download them for free?

No. I buy games which I deemed to be quality and worth the money I paid for them. I feel some games are too expensive for their quality and playing time.

I used to download them for free because I didn't have any source of income years ago and my parents simply didn't want to buy them for me, so I had no choice. But now, I have steady source of income, I stop downloading games for free and buy them selectively.

_Core said:

Most console or pc games are kind of expensive, is it worth to buy them?

Like I have mentioned above, I prefer my games to be replayable. I don't feel USD 60 worth for a 6 hours gameplay. Yes, some of them provide multiplayer option but I just want to play the singleplayer content. In the end, it depends on your preferences. If you think 4 hours gameplay worth the USD 100 you spent, then I can't say anything since it is your opinion. The preferences for the rich and average are different, so we can't generalize the answer for this.

_Core said:

When do you think is it okay to pirate a game instead of buying one?

It is never okay to pirate a game. I studied computer games development and I knew how the money from the sales distributed to the people involved in the development (producer, publisher, staffs, distributor, etc).

I'll just give you a simple example. Let's say you make a game that 100 people want to play your game. You plan to sell the game (directly, without any publisher or distributor and digitally, without CD and cover box, to make it easier to calculate how much you should get) for 1 USD. You would expect to receive USD 100 from selling your game.

However, someone buy your game and tell the 99 others that he will upload the game to the web and let them get it for free. If the 99 download your game from that guy instead of paying you for the game, you only get a very small fraction of what you expected.

I hope you get the idea here.

_Core said:

Do you think pirating is dangerous, cause the cops could find you..?

Depends on where you live. I live in Malaysia currently so piracy is common here and the government doesn't look serious in fighting it yet. However, I heard stories in US that people actually got caught for piracy and forced to compensate for what they have downloaded.
InnoxiousJan 15, 2013 2:12 AM

"Life is always a continuation of unpreparedness" - Evangline A.K. McDowell
Jan 16, 2013 3:29 PM

Jan 2009
Piracy is very common here (Brazil) and the console games prices are very expansive (a new 3ds game for example, cost $75. PS3/360 cost around $90/$100). Most of games I download from internet, especially Snes and GBA, my favorites consoles.
Jan 16, 2013 5:25 PM

Jan 2011
Steam solves this problem, but yes I used to do it all the time.
Jan 16, 2013 5:26 PM

Dec 2012
I used to torrent a bunch of stuff back in the day. nowadays I just buy what I think looks interesting, which isn't too much.
^_^

Jan 16, 2013 5:33 PM

Oct 2012
I don't do PC games much anymore, but I used to mess with cracks and serials a lot. These days I do it for the expensive programs, like Photoshop or Windows. Not worried about law enforcement, but finding cracks from the proper source is belaboring; things to watch out for are viruses and outdated warez that might not work with the program anymore, or sometimes even permanently make it crash (in the case of Totalmedia Theatre 5). If you have a bit of money, then it isn't worth spending the whole day looking for these things in my opinion.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 17, 2013 12:15 AM

Oct 2012
i download all of my games for pc but for console i buy the games
RRRRRRRRRR
Jan 17, 2013 12:40 AM
Jul 2018
I support companies that deserves to get my support and I crack companies that deserves to be pirated.
Jan 17, 2013 1:42 AM

Mar 2010
Amadyeus said:
I support companies that deserves to get my support and I crack companies that deserves to be pirated.

EA and Activision? :D
"Then again, if she's not my sibling, there's no bling, either" - Ararararagi Koyomi
Jan 17, 2013 1:53 AM
Jul 2018
WhisperBit said:
Amadyeus said:

;)
Jan 17, 2013 3:05 AM

Nov 2008
WhisperBit said:
Amadyeus said:

And Ubisoft.

Jan 17, 2013 3:18 AM

Jun 2009
You're pretty unlikely to be caught pirating software, and even if you do, the most you're going to get in the majority of cases is a letter from your ISP. Which you either wait out or switch.

Anyway, I have 203 games on my steam account just now, and likely more physical copies for consoles and non-DRM games. But I still 'acquire' a lot of my games for a few different reasons.

1. I'm not blowing even an extra £5 on content which was blatantly stripped from the full title to try squeeze some more money out of my pockets. Nor am I spending any money on a deliberately unfinished product. DLC can be good, like in the case of GTA IV. But that's a rarity.

2. Developers (or publishers) are seemingly oblivious of something called a "demo" for PC users. Despite the fact that demo's are far more important for a PC than a console, they continuously pander to the console market. Essentially forcing me to 'acquire' their games, just to see how it runs on my rig.

3. It's convenient. I don't have to deal with needing permission from their online servers to play an offline game that I spent money on (fuck you Ubisoft). Nor am I limited in how many times I can install the game, before needing to phone them and ask for permission to play my game some more (fuck you Microsoft).

Piracy for this is nothing but a rational reaction to what the consumers are given.
TrapaliciousJan 17, 2013 3:48 AM
Jan 17, 2013 5:07 AM
Jul 2018
Trapalicious said:
2. Developers (or publishers) are seemingly oblivious of something called a "demo" for PC users. Despite the fact that demo's are far more important for a PC than a console, they continuously pander to the console market. Essentially forcing me to 'acquire' their games, just to see how it runs on my rig.

I know that you are talking about PC specs mainly, but I think this is relevant to the overall conversation:

Anyway, when I was younger and broke I used to pirate. But I always had a guilty conscience about it, so I don't do it any more. Plus I have too many games in my backlog to even think about going after something I don't own anyway.
removed-userJan 17, 2013 5:11 AM
Jan 17, 2013 5:14 AM

Nov 2008
Your post worried me for a moment, Trapalicious. Until I read that only older GFWL games have activation limits.

Jan 17, 2013 8:28 AM

Jun 2009
Baman said:

Sorta this. Before I bought half and pirated half my PC games. But now with Steam games are just constantly so goddamn cheap I have more games than I can play anyway so I have no need to pirate.

I'd like to play Far Cry 3, don't want to spend $50 on it, but you know what? My backlog is so huge I might as well just play some games I already have and by the time I finish some of those, Far Cry 3 will be like $20 or so.
Apr 15, 2021 4:40 PM
Apr 2021
Jrittmayer said:
Baman said:

Sorta this. Before I bought half and pirated half my PC games. But now with Steam games are just constantly so goddamn cheap I have more games than I can play anyway so I have no need to pirate.

I'd like to play Far Cry 3, don't want to spend $50 on it, but you know what? My backlog is so huge I might as well just play some games I already have and by the time I finish some of those, Far Cry 3 will be like $20 or so.

You are totally right. The games are not expensive at Steam so why not give a credits to the developers. It takes years of hard work so the developers can create game such as Far Cry 6. In the past, I used to download some cracked games such as FIFA 14 from Crackado and FitGirl Repack. For now, I stopped and I all I use is Steam. There are such a lot of games I can choose from and most of them are cheap. I understand that not all people can afford them but at least they can stop using pirated software. It is a really hard work developing some of the games.

More topics from this board

» Is MAL ever going to update it's UI?

Pineapplepirate - Dec 19, 2020

29 by Oofmastre9000 »»
4 hours ago

» Rate The Last Game You Finished. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Crzy_Minus - Apr 23, 2015

3719 by creepylurker »»
4 hours ago

» total games on your steam library

deg - Feb 22

49 by SwordBreaker36 »»
5 hours ago

» What is your favorite Elder Scrolls game?

Ex-Aid - Today

2 by SwordBreaker36 »»
5 hours ago

» Do you guys enjoy fighting games? ( 1 2 )

Dumb - Feb 11

50 by Dumb »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.