New
Jan 13, 2013 7:34 PM
Nov 2012
Yoshida_HaruNov 15, 2014 8:29 PM
Oi, Haru desu.
Jan 13, 2013 11:58 PM

Dec 2011
Yoshida_Haru said:

Oh, and another tiny little question: Does anybody know other big companies translating manga to English other than Viz and TokyoPop?

Can't answer your first question as I don't live in Canada, but to answer the one I quoted, there's also:

Yen Press - http://www.yenpress.com/
Dark Horse Comics - http://www.darkhorse.com/Zones/Manga
Seven Seas Entertainment - http://www.gomanga.com/
Kodansha/Del Rey (defunct)/Tanoshimi (defunct) - http://kodanshacomics.com/
Vertical Press - http://www.vertical-inc.com/
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jan 14, 2013 12:57 PM

Mar 2012
The shipping is really horrendous. I think I've spent more on shipping from RightStuf than the actual objects. (On a side note, I'm extremely upset with them for some things, so I'm not really going to be buying there anymore). Huge boxsets are great to buy from them, but a bunch of little things costs too much.

Amazon is the best bet (which is sad, because they don't take vanilla cards).
Jan 14, 2013 1:56 PM

Nov 2008
Yoshida_Haru said:
I'm wondering, is there any other website where I can buy cheap manga with LOW or NO shipping cost, except for Amazon?

I mean, I looked at RightStuf, and the prices for manga books are incredibly low compared to Amazon, but the shipping is just unbelievable...

Oh, and another tiny little question: Does anybody know other big companies translating manga to English other than Viz and TokyoPop? Do you know if they have awesome features like Viz's free first chapter?

Seven Seas

Jan 15, 2013 1:34 PM

Apr 2009
^ In addition to the companies already listed, there's Go!Comi, Digital Manga Publishing (aka DMP), and CMX (defunct)

As for purchasing, have you tried BookDepository? They ship for free to Canada.
Jan 15, 2013 6:11 PM

Mar 2009
Sweetpea said:
As for purchasing, have you tried BookDepository? They ship for free to Canada.

Free to worldwide really, I suggest them too

For the other one, here's a list of defunct ones:

CMX
Go!Comi
ADV Manga
DR Master
Studio Ironcat
Ice Kunion (lots of their stuff was picked up by Yen Press though)
Net Comics (I think they're defunct now)
Tokyopop (or are they? The CEO loves trolling people with news of a potential return, ugh. They did do a few Print on Demands with Right Stuf though)
BLU (Tokyopop's yaoi imprint)

And for ones still in business:
Viz (SuBLime yaoi imprint)
Vertical
Dark Horse
Kodansha (formerly DelRey)
DMP (I believe they also own the 801 and June imprints)
Yen Press
GEN Manga
Seven Seas
Drawn & Quarterly
Fantagraphics
Last Gap

Oh and on Book Depository, you can sometimes order German and French manga. The Germany Tokyopop is still in business (they've also got Carlsen, Egmont, and Panini for German publishers)
There's also another company that publishes manga in English: Chuang Yi, I believe they're Singapore based and they do manga in English and Chinese. Can't order those on book depository or even from their website direct, but there are ways to get Chuang Yi books.
Jan 15, 2013 9:26 PM

Mar 2009
Living in the US, it only took like, a week to get here. That's just the over estimate to keep themselves safe.
No idea about customs for Canada though, that could hold it up
Feb 12, 2013 10:09 AM

Jan 2010
Honestly, I think Rightstuf is your best bet, OP. Their prices and selection are way better than anywhere else, and if you buy a bunch of stuff at once the shipping is worth it.

Places like Amazon.ca are great, but only if they have your item in stock, which they often don't for this sort of stuff. (They still don't have Index on sale there, and it was released in December.)

If you want to try sending it to a UPS Store across the border and driving to get it from Montreal, you might save a few bucks, but it's not even worth it if you include gas and the duty you pay on the way back. Also the UPS Store charges you about $5 for every week they hold it for you. If you stay for 24 hours to avoid paying on the way back (only if it's under $200) you have to pay for a place to stay too.

For all the hassle, you could just send it right to your door. Only problem is RightStuf's $250 minimum for free shipping to Canada. If you order less than that, then going to get it will just about cancel out the shipping cost, but then you're still spending that money on stuff anyway.

tl;dr: Access to a lot of goods in Canada sucks, paying the ridiculous shipping fees is usually just the easiest way.
Feb 12, 2013 4:28 PM

Jun 2008
Yoshida_Haru said:
The Book Depository does, indeed, look nice. They even sell in the Amazon Marketplace, for a lower price. My only problem with them is their shipping time... I mean, 18-24 business day is quite a lot, but I guess it's because it's free.

I might give it a shot soon, though, just to see how their packaging and speed is. It would be great if they could open a branch in the US or in Canada!

I've never ordered from Book Depository (though I am familiar with them), but what's a little bit of a wait if it means free shipping? If shipping and handling was costing me an arm and leg, I'd squeal for joy to find someone who'd ship to me for free even if it meant a month's wait.

And 250 dollars minimum for free shipping? *swoons*
Mar 5, 2013 1:45 AM

Oct 2012
Lint said:
Yoshida_Haru said:
The Book Depository does, indeed, look nice. They even sell in the Amazon Marketplace, for a lower price. My only problem with them is their shipping time... I mean, 18-24 business day is quite a lot, but I guess it's because it's free.

I might give it a shot soon, though, just to see how their packaging and speed is. It would be great if they could open a branch in the US or in Canada!

I've never ordered from Book Depository (though I am familiar with them), but what's a little bit of a wait if it means free shipping? If shipping and handling was costing me an arm and leg, I'd squeal for joy to find someone who'd ship to me for free even if it meant a month's wait.

And 250 dollars minimum for free shipping? *swoons*

I live in Australia, but from my experience with Book Depository is great. Shipping was free and awesome, manga came in perfect condition, what else do you want?

Jun 7, 2013 8:32 AM

Jun 2013
There is Chapters Indigo who ships for free when you buy for 25$+, they also have good prices, and if you become a plum member you can get 5% more sale on your books.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/

Also Chapters Indigo accepts Interac Online as a method of payment, which allows to not use a credit card for purchases. I use Interac Online with them.

http://www.interac.ca/en/interac-online

More topics from this board

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

373 by Yuki135 »»
6 hours ago

» PINK BANANA is coming! The first English language book of its kind which collects some of the weirdest and most obscure manga of the 60s and 70s.

showashowcase - Apr 2

1 by St0rmblade »»
7 hours ago

» Manga Wisdom for the Ages ( 1 2 )

Nekoburger - Aug 9, 2023

50 by Nekoburger »»
8 hours ago

» How many chapters do you read a month?

Rissio - Apr 4

19 by LordZirkaZero »»
8 hours ago

» How long does it take you to read a LN volume?

Maou_heika - Feb 8

19 by Narushisto »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.