Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Should I?
Jan 12, 2013 6:42 PM
Jan 2011
It seems everyone was ranting and raving about the first few episodes of this anime and now that it's over, the most recent reviews on this site give it really low ratings. Is this worth watching if I'm just going to be disappointed with how it ends?

I usually wait till a season/series is over before I start watching it because I'm one of those people who don't want to watch something at all if it ends like shit... except berserk, that ending was strong enough to actually get me reading the manga. but yeah, not sure why I said that lol. should I watch this or not?
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jan 12, 2013 6:43 PM

Sep 2012
Watch it so you can form your own opinion.
Jan 12, 2013 6:44 PM

Sep 2012
I personally hated it and did not enjoy it.

But if you really want to give it a shot, watch about the first 5 episodes and see if it interests you. Just a quick note though, don't keep watching it in the hopes that it will get better.
Jan 12, 2013 6:45 PM

Oct 2012
This will be amusing.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 12, 2013 6:47 PM

Jan 2008
Note that there are plenty of reviews that are in the 5's and under but look at the score of the anime itself. It's fairly high. It simply goes to show you, plenty of people enjoyed the series.
Jan 12, 2013 6:52 PM

Oct 2012
Paul said:
Note that there are plenty of reviews that are in the 5's and under but look at the score of the anime itself. It's fairly high. It simply goes to show you, plenty of people enjoyed the series.

Very true.
I think what really contributed to many people here expressing 'hate' for the series was because they read the posts/reviews here, especially when this anime is dissected to pieces of all its flaws and it kept snow-balling.
I think if I stayed away from this sub-forum, I may had enjoyed it a bit more. The more flaws I read, the more I kept trying to find them in each episode that aired, which is pretty sad to say the least.

Jan 12, 2013 6:52 PM
Oct 2011
Well, for the animation and the OST, then go ahead. It has romance and cute girls all over the place, and there's some incest too in its 2nd part, so keep that in mind while watching it. Oh I almost forgot the over-powered self-insert main character, so keep that in mind too.
Jan 12, 2013 6:53 PM

Feb 2008
What the point of reviews anymore. People slog in hours into their review to dissect/explain the medium, highlighting the pro and cons, supporting & consolidating their biased opinions. etc. and people will still make make threads asking users whether they should watch it and ACTUALLY listening to those one or two liners posts instead of the review.

People are too lazy to think for themselves anymore...sigh
May 2012
I thought the SAO threads were done. I guess I thought wrong.

Nov 2012
And somebody said to me the SAO threads were over and that I should change my intro. She was clearly wrong.
Jan 12, 2013 6:54 PM

May 2012
It was ok. Watch a few eps and judge it for yourself.
Jan 12, 2013 6:54 PM

Oct 2012
Nayah said:
What the point of reviews anymore. People slog in hours into their review to dissect/explain the medium, highlighting the pro and cons, supporting & consolidating their biased opinions. etc. and people will still make make threads asking users whether they should watch it and ACTUALLY listening to those one or two liners posts instead of the review.

Off topic, but whoa, didn't know you retired.

Jan 12, 2013 6:55 PM
Oct 2011
^
Noticed that too, I got used to the > < face with a "moderator" above it lol.

Tavor said:
Paul said:

Very true.
I think what really contributed to many people here expressing 'hate' for the series was because they read the posts/reviews here, especially when this anime is dissected to pieces of all its flaws and it kept snow-balling.
I think if I stayed away from this sub-forum, I may had enjoyed it a bit more.
For me even the forums wouldn't have saved it from my rage and disappointment, because I literally facepalmed in almost every single episode starting from episode 4 (I don't think the flame-wars had started then), but it was just too hard to drop it when it had such a wonderful world design and animation, not to mention Kajiura Yuki's OST. (even when they're recycled)
Jan 12, 2013 6:55 PM

Nov 2012
-Miyu- said:

RandomPerson3 said:
And somebody said to me the SAO threads were over and that I should change my intro. She was clearly wrong.

Holy shit. How did I do that?!
Jan 12, 2013 6:56 PM

May 2012
RandomPerson3 said:
-Miyu- said:

RandomPerson3 said:

Holy shit. How did I do that?!
She is in your pants...
Jan 12, 2013 7:03 PM

Oct 2012
Candor said:
^
Noticed that too, I got used to the > < face with a "moderator" above it lol.

For me even the forums wouldn't have saved it from my rage and disappointment, because I literally facepalmed in almost every single episode starting from episode 4 (I don't think the flame-wars started then), but it was just too hard to drop it when it had such a wonderful world design and animation, not to mention Kajiura Yuki's OST. (even when they're recycled)

I could see that as well, I'm probably shifting the blame too much. I will admit, before I read SAO threads, I did think SAO was pretty bad when a certain death wasn't fleshed out enough for me to care....that's when I started reading the board to find if I was alone in this too. The rest is history haha

Jan 12, 2013 7:05 PM
Dec 2012
No, you shouldn't. If you wanna read an unbiased review, you can read mine.
Jan 12, 2013 7:06 PM
Jul 2012
Not_Biased said:

OH BOY.

Nov 2012
JavierR said:
Not_Biased said:

OH BOY.

May 2012
Not_Biased said:
:D

Sep 2012
Not_Biased said:
First line of your review is already false.

Eh, what did I expect.
Jan 12, 2013 7:07 PM
Nov 2010
JavierR said:
Not_Biased said:

OH BOY.
*gets popcorn*
Jan 12, 2013 7:07 PM

Oct 2012
Not_Biased said:

I never can keep a straight face.

Jan 12, 2013 7:08 PM
Nov 2010
Raikozen said:
I personally hated it and did not enjoy it.

But if you really want to give it a shot, watch about the first 5 episodes and see if it interests you. Just a quick note though, don't keep watching it in the hopes that it will get better.
Kinda agree with this
Jan 12, 2013 7:40 PM

Dec 2012
no, just don't.

usually normal people read synopsis, watch a PV and tried a few episode (it's free to download from SD quality to HD quality, trust me) why bother to asking in forum??
or are you just a sockpuppet from another hater???
Jan 12, 2013 7:42 PM

Dec 2009
Red_Keys said:

A huge amount of people love it and understand its greatness, and a lot of haters hate it and think its overrated.
Jan 12, 2013 7:45 PM

Oct 2012
Why bother making a thread if you can just read the reviews on it and make your on conclusion if you should watch it or not.
Jan 12, 2013 8:17 PM

May 2011
I will say NO absolutely but in the end you must give your own opinion and see if you enjoyed. Good Luck
Jan 12, 2013 8:38 PM

May 2011
Just watch it if you want

side note: you do know there's more seasons to Bakuman right?
Jan 12, 2013 8:42 PM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Wow, you should keep watching.
張大です for 張大勇督察
Jan 12, 2013 8:58 PM
Jan 2011
Red_Keys said:

I'd prefer not to waste my time if I can. ;)

Paul said:

Yeah, what scares me is there are people who review the series before it's even over thus the score not being entirely accurate of the entire series/season.

RockerXD said:
Just watch it if you want

side note: you do know there's more seasons to Bakuman right?

Yeah I mentioned that when it first came out and didn't know a 2nd season was coming. I don't like to watch series until it's completed so i completely avoided the 2nd season and if the 3rd season is the last, i'll check it out once it's finished airing. It's a good anime though.
Jan 12, 2013 9:00 PM

Nov 2012
SkyKyz said:
Why bother making a thread if you can just read the reviews on it and make your on conclusion if you should watch it or not.

Don't listen to SkyKyz. He dun kno wut he talkin' 'bout. It's perfectly okay to make this thread.

You should watch it. It ain't bad and it does get better in a way imho. that's the most likely thing to happen anyway. because if you don't, you'll always be asking yourself 'is this show worth watching?'. Save yourself the husslin' and busslin' and watch the dang thing, k?

Pony, owt~

Jan 12, 2013 9:35 PM
Jan 2013
You should, I didn't think it was great when I saw the first episode then at the end of the first episodes I couldn't wait for the second episodes. Just my opinion though, read the reviews.
Jan 12, 2013 9:56 PM
Feb 2008
Since I don't know you from Adam, I don't know. But I liked it mostly.
Jan 12, 2013 10:14 PM

Jul 2010
Yes, yes it is, because whether you like it or not, this is one of the most controversial anime series`s in years, so you should watch it just to be part of anime history and see what all the fuss is about.
Jan 13, 2013 1:21 AM

Jun 2009
waalex11 said:
Red_Keys said:

A huge amount of people love it and understand its greatness, and a lot of haters hate it and think its overrated.

What is this "greatness" that I'm not understanding?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2013 1:27 AM

Jun 2008
Yes. Suffer with us.
Jan 13, 2013 1:35 AM

Sep 2009
The show is fine. If you're the type of person who nitpicks on everything and gets easily annoyed then maybe you won't like it. If you're just looking for some lite entertainment, you should be able to find it with this show. A lot of the hate is pretty ridiculous really....especially considering they have likely watched other shows that are technically no better but they enjoy them anyways.
Jan 13, 2013 1:35 AM

Apr 2012
Even though I thought this was total shit, I still recommend people to watch it.
As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 13, 2013 5:00 AM

Dec 2012
saxophone15 said:
The show is fine. If you're the type of person who nitpicks on everything and gets easily annoyed then maybe you won't like it. If you're just looking for some lite entertainment, you should be able to find it with this show. A lot of the hate is pretty ridiculous really....especially considering they have likely watched other shows that are technically no better but they enjoy them anyways.

^ This
Jan 13, 2013 7:17 AM

Apr 2009
Nayah said:

This, although there are a lot of bad reviews on MAL that are written by retards after only the first episode. Interestingly enough, most people who write those idiotic reviews do have series like Naruto, Bleach, SAO, or GC in their favourites so I guess a certain mental state and liking such anime is related to each other.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jan 13, 2013 8:08 AM
Aug 2010
saxophone15 said:

If you can suspend your disbelief enough times within an episode to bear a series like SAO, good. You can enjoy mediocrity, which is positive; I have nothing to say to a positive mindset like this. But because you can suspend your disbelief doesn't mean the disbelief isn't here, and there are plenty of series that don't ask you to accept their flaws in the first place. So I see no reason not to class SAO under the volumes of better series.

Jan 13, 2013 8:13 AM
May 2012
You should watch it. it's very entertaining and the ending is good.
Jan 13, 2013 8:29 PM

May 2012
I'm on episode 10 so far and I think it's pretty good. I don't love it or anything like that but it has a good mix of action and comedy. I was just annoyed by the giant ass time skips earlier in the show but they seem to have slowed down. Then again, most people seem to have problems with the second season rather than the first.
Jan 13, 2013 9:08 PM

Jun 2009
gettogaara said:
I'm on episode 10 so far and I think it's pretty good. I don't love it or anything like that but it has a good mix of action and comedy. I was just annoyed by the giant ass time skips earlier in the show but they seem to have slowed down. Then again, most people seem to have problems with the second season rather than the first.

Second arc/half.

There is no second season. (Well, not yet)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 13, 2013 9:28 PM

Mar 2012
zkgxhfyu said:
You should watch it. it's very entertaining and the ending is good.

Lolwut?

You said that you want to watch after its completed right?

Sad to break it down to you, but theres still more after this one.
skwok-ravenJan 13, 2013 9:32 PM

"Have you ever encounter a wild beast that guarantees to never bite anyone?" ~ Roronoa Zoro
Jan 13, 2013 9:45 PM

May 2012
AirStyles said:
gettogaara said:

Second arc/half.

There is no second season. (Well, not yet)

My bad. Couldn't think of the right word at the time lol.
Jan 13, 2013 11:22 PM

Oct 2012
The show isn't that bad. It's not something so great that I would recommend it to everyone, but I think the really low scores are kinda exaggerated. The anime itself is ok, but the immense hype gave an illusion that the anime is terrible beyond belief. I can say SAO is in a way, somewhat better than a lot average anime, but it's not great. If you wanna find every single flaw in this entire anime and nitpick about everything, then you will just be wasting your time like a lot of people have. It's a somewhat enjoyable series if you just watch it for the mmo setting, and the occasional action, but don't go in expecting a legend, or you'll end up like those who rated this EXTREMELY low. You can see from the score that quite a lot of people actually did like it, but the reviews are saying otherwise. You can say that haters have good reason to hate this anime, but it doesn't mean it's not enjoyable. Reviews will tend to point out every single flaw in the anime, and will really depress people from watching it. Just watch it with your brain turned off, and you might be fine. I would recommend watching the first 5 or 6 episodes, and if you don't like episode 4 onward, you probably won't like the rest... Probably. Also you could skip to episode 8 if the pacing and the episodic stories piss you off I guess...
Jan 13, 2013 11:28 PM
Dec 2012
i think you should watch it so that there will be more and more hater...ahahha
hey you..that middle finger is looking at you
Jan 14, 2013 12:08 AM

Oct 2008
Just watch it, the reason there's all that hate about this anime is because of the wasted potential, the setting is definitely epic, but it was wasted with the history, so many flaws, plotholes and asspulls which is too bad because if they exploited the possibilities of the setting this could have easily been one of the best anime of 2012.

All in all, it's still entertaining so I don't see why you shouldn't watch it, I wouldn't set it as one of my priorities in my to-watch list though.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Why does everyone call SAO an isekai ? ( 1 2 3 4 )

xMyst93 - May 1, 2020

164 by OneAutmmLeaf »»
Apr 21, 7:12 PM

» Overall do you enjoy watching SAO? What do you like about it? :) ( 1 2 )

Rinrinka - Apr 15

70 by Zimmu »»
Apr 21, 10:59 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bippo - Dec 22, 2012

1445 by abahterunh »»
Apr 20, 9:10 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Nasty001 - Jul 4, 2012

949 by Zark_42 »»
Apr 20, 7:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.