Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Jan 10, 2013 10:46 PM

Plz help.
No spoilers please!
Signature removed. Please follow the site rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 10, 2013 10:48 PM
Yes

Jan 10, 2013 11:42 PM

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: But the anime is terribly incomplete and has no ending, so why even bother?

Jan 10, 2013 11:45 PM

Sweetpea said:

Long answer: But the anime is terribly incomplete and has no ending, so why even bother?

Didn't read the visual novels, and even I agree with this. Don't bother watching it (until they release a sequel anyway).

Jan 11, 2013 6:41 AM

The VN is fucking spectacular, but I recommend playing/watching Higurashi before, just so you can see the improvement in quality from Higurashi --> Umineko. You can read the manga, but it is still publishing and no where near being completely scanlated. Only two out of the 7 series are completely scanlated, if I'm right.

Whatever you do, don't watch the anime.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 11, 2013 6:47 AM

Why not just watch the first 2 seasons of Higurashi instead, it's a guaranteed good time.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 11, 2013 7:30 AM

Yes, you can, but Umineko kind of sucked in comparsion to Higurashi. I really recommend watching Higurashi.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.

Jan 11, 2013 7:53 AM

This is not a freaking recommendation thread

Jan 11, 2013 8:48 AM

bergil said:

It actually kinda is....kinda.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.

Jan 11, 2013 9:04 AM

Yes, you can watch it without watching Higurashi, as the references are minor and not essential to Umineko's story. As for what its detractors are saying, just treat Umineko as a horror-comedy anime. Alcohol helps too, if it's legal for you to drink it.
"You're encouraging the idea of personal gain without paying a price, working hard, or expending effort? Have you no shame? When you refuse to make sacrifices, others end up making them for you!" -- Medaka Kurokami

Jan 11, 2013 9:10 AM

Jovoo said:
bergil said:

It actually kinda is....kinda.
No, this belongs in a series discussion thread. In no way is he asking for recommendations for anime or manga. He is asking a question about a series.

Jan 11, 2013 9:50 AM

^ Don't listen to these guys. Watch it. It's good. To tell the truth, Higurashi is objectively better, for plot reasons and else. But that doesn't mean it's more enjoyable. And that doesn't mean neither you should prevent you from watching Umineko if you want to. I loved both, and found Umineko more enjoyable at the moment, despite its many imperfections.

Jan 11, 2013 9:59 AM

Mentalii said:
^ Don't listen to these guys. Watch it. It's good. To tell the truth, Higurashi is objectively better, for plot reasons and else. But that doesn't mean it's more enjoyable. And that doesn't mean neither you should prevent you from watching Umineko if you want to. I loved both, and found Umineko more enjoyable at the moment, despite its many imperfections.
Umineko as a whole is infinitely better than Higurashi. The only problem is its failure in adaptation. I told him to play the VN. Why waste your time on something incomplete?

Jan 11, 2013 10:11 AM

Holybaptiser said:
Mentalii said:
Umineko as a whole is infinitely better than Higurashi. The only problem is its failure in adaptation. I told him to play the VN. Why waste your time on something incomplete?

Is there any announcement of a fateful adaptation? A season 2 as it were?

Jan 11, 2013 10:20 AM

Jovoo said:
Holybaptiser said:
Mentalii said:

Is there any announcement of a fateful adaptation? A season 3 as it were?
Nothing I've heard of. Higurashi season 2 came out soon after the first season finished airing (3 anime seasons later). Umineko finished airing 3 years ago. I guess it wasn't successful and they just bailed on it. There was only one season for Umineko.

Edit - Seriously, just read the VN. It is so much better than Higurashi.
Modified by Holybaptiser, Jan 11, 2013 10:27 AM

Jan 11, 2013 10:24 AM

Topic Moved
This topic belongs under the anime being discussed.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!

Jan 11, 2013 10:25 AM

Holybaptiser said:
Jovoo said:
Holybaptiser said:
Mentalii said:

Nothing I've heard of. Higurashi season 2 came out soon after the first season finished airing (3 anime seasons later). Umineko finished airing 2 years ago. I guess it wasn't successful and they just bailed on it. There was only one season for Umineko.

Don't know how I feel about that actually. The supposed biggest Higurashi fan on MAL telling me things like this....

Guess gotta read the VN then...

Jan 11, 2013 10:28 AM

Jovoo said:
Holybaptiser said:
Jovoo said:
Holybaptiser said:
Mentalii said:

Nothing I've heard of. Higurashi season 2 came out soon after the first season finished airing (3 anime seasons later). Umineko finished airing 2 years ago. I guess it wasn't successful and they just bailed on it. There was only one season for Umineko.

Don't know how I feel about that actually. The supposed biggest Higurashi fan on MAL telling me things like this....

Well, I can be the biggest Higurashi fan on MAL and still admit to other shows being better than it. I'm not a stupid fanboy :D

Jan 11, 2013 10:31 AM

Reading the VN right now.

I'd suggest you start it too.

Jan 11, 2013 10:32 AM

Holybaptiser said:
Jovoo said:
Holybaptiser said:
Jovoo said:
Holybaptiser said:
Mentalii said:

Well, I can be the biggest Higurashi fan on MAL and still admit to other shows being better than it. I'm not a stupid fanboy :D

I guess it's the same thing with me and Naruto, OK, I catch your drift.

Mar 3, 2013 1:56 AM

Sweetpea said:

That is a fucking stupid suggestion.

First off, Yes, you can watch it because Umineko and Higurashi are two completely different animes. None of the characters or stories are related. The only comparison is they have the same writter.

And secondly, it is definely worth a watch. Just because it is incomplete and it has a sort of "to be continued" type of ending is never an excuss to say "to hell with it" and not give it a shot. Death Note is sort of like that too. There might be a second season.