Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 27, 2008 4:01 AM

Feb 2008
According to Ghibli World, the English dub version of Miyazaki, Hayao's movie "Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea" (Gake no Ue no Ponyo) will be shown in the US theaters in 2009. The English dubbing will be directed by Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy ("Indiana Jones" series). The announced English dub cast is as follows:

Matt Damon
Tina Fey
Cate Blanchett
Liam Neeson
Lily Tomlin
Betty White
Frankie Jonas
Noah Cyrys
Cloris Leachman

It's not announced who plays which role.

Source:Ghibli World
Source: Coming Soon.net
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 27, 2008 4:58 AM

Nov 2007
lol, Betty Whhhhhhite too

I wish to be moved. I cannot feel in life.
Nov 27, 2008 5:00 AM

Mar 2008
Are we talking about the Bourne Series Matt Damon or is it someone else with that name 0.0
Nov 27, 2008 5:17 AM

Feb 2008
Are there confusingly many Matt Damon? I only know one Matt.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Damon
Nov 27, 2008 5:19 AM

Dec 2007
wow..seems like a good cast..except for the retarded matt..XD
Nov 27, 2008 5:45 AM

Feb 2007
Thats a pretty bamous cast for just an anime film dub, but then again, Miyazaki films in the past have had some famous hollywood actors and actresses doing the roles.

Nov 27, 2008 5:49 AM

Oct 2007
Ugh why cant they just release a fansubbed version and make money that way :P

I mean it'll help kids develop their reading level and possibly get them interested in good animes :P

Wait...isnt betty white dead?
Nov 27, 2008 6:16 AM

Feb 2008
Tina Fey... I might check it out only to hear her.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 27, 2008 6:40 AM

Oct 2008
tina fey? awesome
Nov 27, 2008 6:52 AM

Jan 2008
MAT DAAAAMON.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Nov 27, 2008 7:04 AM

Dec 2007
Ok. This FEAR.

Love most of them, but hopelly will not have to watch it English dubbed =p
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Nov 27, 2008 7:15 AM

Apr 2007
Seems like a very capable cast. Disney always does a good job in rounding up talent.

Icy-nee-san said:

Wait...isnt betty white dead?

She's not only alive, she's more lively than most of the women I know:
Nov 27, 2008 7:21 AM

Jan 2008
gormenghast said:

Matt would most likely be cast as Ponyo's father and I honestly think he would do an excellent job in that roll. Stop knocking the guy down before you've even given him a chance to see what he can do, it's not like he's Ben Afleck...

Nov 27, 2008 7:47 AM

Jan 2008
Just want to chime in that Matt Damon is actually awesome.

Dont give a shit about dub casting I'll never listen to, but celebrity dubbing must be distracting as hell though.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Nov 27, 2008 8:44 AM

Mar 2008
darkman is doing a voice sweat
Stay thirsty, my friends.
Nov 27, 2008 8:52 AM

Mar 2008
omg
Nov 27, 2008 9:07 AM

Feb 2008
i cant think of a time when matt did a voice job so it will be interesting to see how this one works out. Historically studio ghibli has never released any media to the us using half assed methods or half assed actors. although it is going to be a high star powered movie, that may very well make for a lesser quality work.
Nov 27, 2008 9:13 AM

Apr 2008
TINA FEY?
BEASTTTTTTTTT!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 27, 2008 9:35 AM

Jan 2008
MATE DAMMON
Hello!
Nov 27, 2008 10:24 AM

Dec 2007
This will be a fun dub to watch.
Nov 27, 2008 10:28 AM

Feb 2007
Icy-nee-san said:

I mean it'll help kids develop their reading level and possibly get them interested in good animes :P

There are always subs on the DVDs. And Ghibli moves aren't exactly gateways to the world of anime.
Nov 27, 2008 10:56 AM

Nov 2007
Tina Fay?! ._.

I never would have guessed!
Nov 27, 2008 11:06 AM

Apr 2008
Wow, Tina Fey.
Nov 27, 2008 11:08 AM

Apr 2007
OMG Tina Fey.
I've never been so excited to watch a dubbed anime until now. lol

I can't wait. :D
Nov 27, 2008 11:08 AM

Jan 2008
Yay.
Anther Ghibli movie dubbed. <3
Nov 27, 2008 11:23 AM

Sep 2007
They're certainly pulling quite a few A-listers for this.
Nov 27, 2008 12:40 PM

Oct 2007
Omg matt damon! I deff need to actually watch this dub.. haha.
Nov 27, 2008 12:47 PM
Jun 2008
Matt Damon fuck yes! Even though I am not going to watch english dub.
Nov 27, 2008 1:44 PM

Oct 2008
The name Matt Damon sounds rather familiar.. Isn't that the star of the Bourne series? Doing anime voice acting now? What a surprise!
Nov 27, 2008 1:57 PM

Jul 2008
Wow an interesting choice of voice actors. I don't normally watch english dubs but I might watch this just to hear the familiar voices.

Nov 27, 2008 2:12 PM
Jul 2008
This will be rather interesting.
Nov 27, 2008 2:22 PM

Jun 2007
Tina Fey & Matt Damon????? O__O;
That might be interesting...

Nov 27, 2008 3:22 PM

Jan 2008
HOLY TINA FEY OMG!!!
Nov 27, 2008 4:31 PM

Mar 2008
That looks like a really good cast. Looking forward to watch it!
Nov 27, 2008 5:26 PM
Jan 2008
Batmanfreak said:
That looks like a really good cast. Looking forward to watch it!

I too am looking forward to this. Liam Neeson sounds very promising, but hearing that Cloris Leachman is doing another role sounds absolutely awesome. Her role as Dola in Castle in the Sky was absolutely spot-on, and it should be a treat to hear her in another Ghibli dub.

-Jon T.
Nov 27, 2008 6:21 PM
christmas cake

May 2008
Cihan said:

Dont give a shit about dub casting I'll never listen to, but celebrity dubbing must be distracting as hell though.

Not really. I loved Billy Crystal in Howl's Moving Castle. The voice acting is actually better since it's being done by people with more acting experience to begin with. Plus you aren't hearing the same dozen or so folks you hear in every other dubbed anime.
Nov 27, 2008 7:00 PM
Jan 2008
nx6 said:
Cihan said:

Not really. I loved Billy Crystal in Howl's Moving Castle. The voice acting is actually better since it's being done by people with more acting experience to begin with. Plus you aren't hearing the same dozen or so folks you hear in every other dubbed anime.

Also, despite the animosity some people have against so-called "celebrities", I don't think they detract from these movies at all; I feel that their performances add to already fantastic movies.
Nov 27, 2008 7:15 PM
Dec 2007
JTurner said:
nx6 said:
Cihan said:

Also, despite the animosity some people have against so-called "celebrities", I don't think they detract from these movies at all; I feel that their performances add to already fantastic movies.
Isn't it wonderfull how double-faced fans can be? I mean, I've seen the "oh, dub sucks because it's always the same people" or "did they pick up the first random people that passed by?", then when they take the effort to reach out for different and more known people they go all "oh, celebrities. They instantly must suck because they are celebrities and celebrities suck." Seriously...*sigh*

Nov 27, 2008 7:41 PM

Jan 2008
Leon-Gun said:
Isn't it wonderfull how double-faced fans can be? I mean, I've seen the "oh, dub sucks because it's always the same people" or "did they pick up the first random people that passed by?", then when they take the effort to reach out for different and more known people they go all "oh, celebrities. They instantly must suck because they are celebrities and celebrities suck." Seriously...*sigh*

Well I hope you're not lumping me into the double-faced group because as I've made clear I dont listen to dubs much and dont care about casting, but quality. I can imagine being distracted by celebrity voice overs, just like I'm distracted with American feature length animations featuring Tom Hanks or whoever.

You'd have to be foolish or stubborn to not acknowledge that the more famous a person is the more connotations they bring with them to their chosen roles, voice or otherwise. The more skilled they are the easier they can hide into the role, but often these really famous actors dont bother to hide themselves in voice acting roles, indeed they're picked in the first place because of who they are, so their voices must remain as they are. Kind of in contradiction to the entire purpose of being a voice actor, no?
Nov 27, 2008 10:15 PM
Jan 2008
Leon-Gun said:
JTurner said:
nx6 said:
Cihan said:

I understand exactly where you're coming from. Fans who are that hypocritical about dubs are the last people I'd ever listen to for solid advice, and I can't take their arguments to heart at all. I find it difficult to watch Anime in Japanese because I don't understand the language, and I don't have a problem with whoever voices the character--celebrity or not, if they do a good job, that's all that counts. And frankly, I don't find anything bad about these dubs in the least.
Nov 27, 2008 10:24 PM

Jan 2008
JTurner said:
I understand exactly where you're coming from. Fans who are that hypocritical about dubs are the last people I'd ever listen to for solid advice, and I can't take their arguments to heart at all.

Nice that you kept my first post but omitted my response to Leon-Gun.

Its people like you who are to blame for Hollywood remaking every Asian film in sight for no good reason continuing the xenophobic hegenomic attitude plaguing our screens.

JTurner said:
I find it difficult to watch Anime in Japanese because I don't understand the language

Learn to read.
Nov 28, 2008 1:40 AM

Nov 2006
rofl @ frankie jonas

tina fey <3
Nov 28, 2008 2:07 AM

Apr 2007
Qui-Gon Jinn? Hell yeah, count me in.
Nov 28, 2008 4:54 AM

Aug 2007
Ah shit, another star-sprinkled disney dub.

I have nothing against established actors playing voice roles per se, but I like Cihan find them distracting in Hollywood voice roles, let alone anime. Just because an actor is good in person on a screen does not necessarily mean they work well in a voice-only role. Disney's Ghibli dubs are always hit or miss affairs, some are good and some are bad. I grew up listening to radio plays, and I have heard good voice acting and bad voice acting from famous names and from unknowns. Matt Damon is certainly good at killing people with household items, but I can easily see him being rubbish at voice acting.

I too never watch the dub given a choice. My concern over this is that if I go and see this at a cinema, as I and everyone who wants to encourage film companies to release anime to cinemas abroad has a duty to do, I'll have to put up with dubbing. And it adds more to the price of the DVD if they use famous names who get paid huge wads of cash, of course.

Not to mention that the DVD release will inevitably be dubtitled all to hell like all the other western Ghibli releases, so it will also spoil the sub. Who voices it won't affect this of course, the person who decides that they need to add a load more lines in the dub because children don't like silence (despite every Ghibli film doing very well with kids in Japan) is the one at fault for this. Arsehole.
Nov 28, 2008 6:15 AM
Dec 2007
Cihan said:
Leon-Gun said:

Well I hope you're not lumping me into the double-faced group because as I've made clear I dont listen to dubs much and dont care about casting, but quality. I can imagine being distracted by celebrity voice overs, just like I'm distracted with American feature length animations featuring Tom Hanks or whoever.
Well, while you were quoted in there, I was mostly lashing at the general attitude of people who make up silly excuses then make a different one when their original excuse is trampled. I think you made quite clear of your prefference which is something one should always respect.

You made a good point, and indeed some celebrities perform their roles so plain and lifeless that it detracts from the whole thing. But I think others really do get into the character. So, I don't think the generalization that celebrity always equal bad is well deserved. But that's my point of view and you have your own point of view.

Nov 28, 2008 7:47 AM

Apr 2008
Matt Damon and Tina Fey are going to be in it? This is going to be interesting ^_^.
Nov 28, 2008 11:03 AM

Aug 2007
The Crayon Movie! Ive heard of it.

I can't wait to see...the subtitled version of it. Ha.

Nov 28, 2008 2:39 PM

Jun 2007
gormenghast said:

agreed…Though I want to hear how he does the voice. XD

I always love watching Ghibli movies and hearing English voices. xD
Nov 28, 2008 3:28 PM
Jul 2018
I totatly agree with you!! ^-^ The subbed version is always better than the dubbed version, hands down!!

Icy-nee-san said:

removed-userNov 28, 2008 3:32 PM
Nov 28, 2008 4:00 PM

Sep 2008
Ghibli always gets the best voice talent. I'm glad this is no exception.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» TAAF 2024 Anime of the Year Winners Announced

Snow - 7 hours ago

3 by Maumuu »»
30 minutes ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

65 by Stardew »»
34 minutes ago

» Manga 'Dungeon Meshi' Gets TV Anime ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Aug 9, 2022

53 by Dark_Reunion007 »»
4 hours ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Announces Additional Cast

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

4 by Memore »»
Yesterday, 11:26 PM

» Manga 'Ane Naru Mono' Gets OVA Adaptation

Vindstot - Jan 5, 2020

28 by lucio54 »»
Yesterday, 10:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.