Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Space Brothers
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jan 7, 2013 4:24 PM

Mar 2012
SanzuNoKawa said:
The more I watch this anime, the more I can't understand how is it so underrated... it's simply the best anime ever, every single part of it brings several chills down my spine.
How I wish there were more anime like this one...

The lack of good looking characters is the problem and how younger audience might not be able to relate to some content.

I'm 16 and I can relate so I can't see any reason why this would get less audience than other anime. Is it the art? I fell in love with it during the first episode. It was something new and refreshing. The pathetic looking main character? He's not pathetic... just a realistic person(like me :D). The comedy is not forced like some other show. The frequent use of monologues? No other anime can let you look into a character's thoughts in this great depth. For an idiot like me who knows little about space... it made me feel smarter as I got to know things I didn't know before. The anime also brought me a new profound interest.

People complain about the unoriginal anime plots yet they miss out on an anime like Uchuu Kyoudai. I will be putting this on my favourite list and will recommend it to anyone I know who watches anime. I believe that this anime deserves more attention than it is currently receiving.
Jan 7, 2013 4:29 PM

Oct 2012
aisora said:
SanzuNoKawa said:
The more I watch this anime, the more I can't understand how is it so underrated... it's simply the best anime ever, every single part of it brings several chills down my spine.

The lack of good looking characters is the problem and how younger audience might not be able to relate to some content.

I'm 16 and I can relate so I can't see any reason why this would get less audience than other anime. Is it the art? I fell in love with it during the first episode. It was something new and refreshing. The pathetic looking main character? He's not pathetic... just a realistic person(like me :D). The comedy is not forced like some other show. The frequent use of monologues? No other anime can let you look into a character's thoughts in this great depth. For an idiot like me who knows little about space... it made me feel smarter as I got to know things I didn't know before. The anime also brought me a new profound interest.

People complain about the unoriginal anime plots yet they miss out on an anime like Uchuu Kyoudai. I will be putting this on my favourite list and will recommend it to anyone I know who watches anime. I believe that this anime deserves more attention than it is currently receiving.

Im guessing its not popular because of the lack of moe, or high school girls.
Jan 7, 2013 6:14 PM

Mar 2012
Danielcook said:
aisora said:
SanzuNoKawa said:

Im guessing its not popular because of the lack of moe, or high school girls.

Exactly. /cries.
hmmm... maybe in Japan it is popular considering it's got so many episodes already.
Jan 8, 2013 12:23 AM

Oct 2012
Orevataf said:
Cliffhanger?

More of a cliffplunger, huh? ;P
Jan 8, 2013 3:56 AM

Oct 2010
Misiakk said:
Hibito will shout "YeeY" jump off the buggy and survive :P

In previous episodes they were training to know where all the things are while blindfolded and now they are suprised that box got two handles :D lol

My thoughts exactly. XD

Srsly, one would like to think (back)-- believe that they had studied/trained just about enough for this (expedition) to underestimate even the most seemingly favorable conditions, and after what just happened!? Yet, here we have Damnian or Dumbian, acting as if nothing ever happened (sure, nothing serious, thanks to Hibito); as though he's just driving back on earth, except without any other vehicles nor traffic lights/signs to watch out for. Needless to say he was the one who even told Hibito how the moon's surface/surroundings/atmosphere, or lack thereof, can play tricks on one's eyes, no less. :|

At any rate, I have no doubts whatsoever as to Hibito's survival. However, I wouldn't be so quick to determine that Hibito would still be the same "YeeY" guy we knew.
HAPPY SCANS!
Bringing the COOL in old school!
Jan 8, 2013 1:57 PM

Jul 2012
And on top of that, why don't they use any kind of map that show all this huge holes and mountains? Seriously, they build rockets, moonbase and machine which produce oxygen and still they don't have idea that they have huge holes all around them ;D
Jan 8, 2013 3:51 PM

Nov 2007
well played cliffhanger LOL

I signed my screen and now its all smeary "When you meet your God tell him to leave me alone."

check out my bloghttp://corpse69.wordpress.com/

fix MAL already
Jan 8, 2013 5:02 PM

Jun 2010
R.I.P Hibito. Episode 1 - 39.
Jan 8, 2013 5:39 PM

Jan 2013
I'm just driving along all nice and safe here on the moon ..wait..what..fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Jan 8, 2013 5:40 PM

Oct 2012
-MgZ_ said:
R.I.P Hibito. Episode 1 - 39.

Dont be so sure, in the preview it seems that theres a scene where damian is scavenging around in the dark with a lamp helmet on.
Jan 9, 2013 12:26 AM

Oct 2012
Misiakk said:
And on top of that, why don't they use any kind of map that show all this huge holes and mountains? Seriously, they build rockets, moonbase and machine which produce oxygen and still they don't have idea that they have huge holes all around them ;D

Heeeeey, it's the year 2025. Apple dominates all the other companies of the world and therefore even NASA is stuck with Apple Maps. So, no wonder they ended up in that huuuuuge crater ;P

To be true, that whole - let's find the probe/Gibson-thing seems rushed and is one of the few moments of the series that feels unrealistic (they don't prepare themselves in any way for the mission, not even checking analog maps or reading the reparation handbook for the probe).

Hibito and Damian have two monitors in front of them on the lunar rover.... but well, nothing you can do about Apple Maps.
neUtrino_23Jan 9, 2013 12:31 AM
Jan 9, 2013 6:23 PM

Feb 2012
Le Voyage dans la lune!

Oh god that OP made my day.

For reference:

Jan 10, 2013 9:13 AM

Nov 2009
NOPE. NOOOOOOPE. NOPE NOPE NOPE SO MUCH NOPE.
Jan 10, 2013 11:55 AM

Oct 2010
Natsu style lol
Jan 11, 2013 7:17 AM

May 2010
that me in class, falling asleep while the teacher is keeps going on and on. haha
Jan 12, 2013 2:31 PM
Jan 2013
I was so mad, when I watched trailer for Live action movie. I knew this shit is going to happen, damn!
Jan 12, 2013 4:29 PM

Oct 2011
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO
Jan 13, 2013 3:27 PM

Feb 2010
no. fucking. way.

Hibito must be ok.
Jan 13, 2013 4:07 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Hibito will not die because the series is about both brothers.

The power of plot armor.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Jan 13, 2013 9:26 PM

Feb 2008
Too many people tried too hard to spoil this for me to be surprised by it :(

If any of those people are reading this, I want you to know that I hate you.

I share Mutta's suspicion about Kimura falling asleep with his eyes open ;)
Jan 20, 2013 10:56 AM

Jul 2009
This show is SO GOOD ;D Love the new OP end ED ... it's rare that I like all of them! Great music :D
Love the introduction by Sansei (I think?) and Nasuda ... those two are great :P Looks like it isn't all fun and games yet ... that instructor, wow XD I agree with Mutta ... maybe Nitta's actually asleep?! :P Good on Kenji to ask but ... wow, those types of teachers such haha XD
Lots of excitement on the moon ... first they had that scare ... but then THEY ACTUALLY FELL INTO IT NOOOOOOOO T_T What the heck ... they have to be okay! D: I mean, the preview obviously shows that they're fine ... oh my gosh D:
Mar 2, 2013 6:27 PM
Nov 2011
poor namba... it's worse than death by powerpoint... because, you know, there is no powerpoint
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Apr 13, 2013 11:45 AM

Jan 2011
The new OP's animation is funny, it's nice to see them doing all kinds of funny this in this show while keeping it very serious. The ending was very thrilling, but the preview already revealed that at least Hibito is still alive which completely destroyed the tension.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Oct 18, 2013 7:59 PM
Jan 2013
New OP is hilarious. I love it.
Serika catching petals was funny, and I think she was in the shot, hehe.

Cliffhangers suck. :(
Your mean should be an even bell curve only if you watch every show that comes out. Having a high-slung mean doesn't mean you're rating improperly. It can also mean you're selecting shows well to watch mostly things you enjoy.
Jul 25, 2014 5:41 PM

Nov 2011
Oh fuck, I hope they don't die from that fall because it looks like a long deep way down.
Sep 17, 2014 4:25 PM

Nov 2011
The director surprised me with his explanation. He's a fun character. Serika's petal scene was funny as well.

Certainly they wouldn't kill off Hibito, right...? Still, that was a huge crater. Even in a low-G environment that would be dangerous, especially considering how fast they were moving. Crap.

Solid episode.
Mar 29, 2015 2:37 AM

Jun 2009
KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD DAMIAN, FUCK!
Apr 14, 2015 5:17 AM

Aug 2010
OMG.....my jaw literally dropped open when I saw the buggy they're in falling to the crater o_____O

After all the focus on the romance of space travels so far, this is also another of those realistic reminders of the dangers and risks that exist in these space expeditions.

Just please tell me they're going to be fine... I really really want to see Hibito and Mutta on a expedition together!

That director is so funny... His message was a good one though~

That lecture was hilarious LOL
blue-yApr 14, 2015 6:44 AM
Nov 16, 2015 3:49 AM
Dec 2009
troy2062 said:
Misiakk said:
I liked the first two ones the most. They were about NASA, JAXA and going into space. The newest one is too random for me.Army of Apo aliens in wigs, some steampunk Mutta's rocket, Apo as Moon, other characters in robes. It don't feet into atmosphere of anime for me.

Well, when I say "OP", I'm really talking about the music. :P

Although I should point out that the animation in the new OP is not at all random or unrelated to the series. It is based on the 1902 movie "A Trip To The Moon". Quite ingenious, really. :3

Interesting, I have to check that out sometime!
This is why I love coming to the MAL forums, always some interesting insights :) Thank you!
Nov 19, 2015 1:10 AM

Mar 2012
Who thought it was a good idea to let Damian drive the buggy? I mean the guy almost drove into a crater the first time yet he still takes his eyes from the front like an idiot lol.
Dec 15, 2016 4:59 AM

May 2015
Shit, Damian you are the worst driver. :(
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 25, 2016 10:05 PM

Nov 2016
Episode 39 - Lunar Illusions:

The new Opening show the relation of brothers and show the great book "From the Earth to the Moon" of Julio Verne at the end.

Next, we have Serika throwing punches at the falling leafs, just like Makunoichi Ippo does in the early episodes of Fighting Spirit.

Director Nasuda gives a speech about the kanji (or katanaka) for people and the meaning of this for him, Jaxxa employees are to provide support, astronauts are to benefit of this and go to space, with all the support from Jaxa.

Murasaki Sansei give a speech about the training that the newly candidate to astronauts has to do to become real astronauts and give a relation of the character for people, the people on Earth are the support and the astronauts are the ones that must carry their dreams and hopes to the outer space!

Damian and Hibito go out, they were close to fall a to a crater.

The lecture, was really like that? isn't better to read a book or something? "hmm, hmm, hmmm..."

In the end Damian and Hibito falls? Really? How? Why? Damian and Hibito before have a near death experience, and yet they were not careful? why?

The ending is short, Hibito and Mutta as boys, playing the instruments of Sharon aunt.

"...Basically, what I'm trying to say is that people don't support one another! There are people who provide support and others who benefit from that." (Director Nasuda)

"...You'll learn a lot about those who provide support. It takes hundred of people to send one astronaut into space. In return for the support they provide, our obligation is to shoulder their hopes and dreams. That is our job. (Murasaki Sansei)

"I really like this! I'm getting all fired up! Wait for me Hibito... I'll catch up in no time! (Mutta)

5/5
Sep 4, 2017 9:21 AM

Aug 2015
Not quite happy with what happened on the moon. Doesn't feel like actual astronauts would be dumb enough to fall like that.
The only opinion that should matter to you is yours.
Sep 15, 2017 6:22 PM

May 2012
Holy damn that ending :o this really doesn't look good, but damn that cliffhanger!
Nov 20, 2017 4:09 PM

Feb 2016
You know these men chosen to go to the moon are literally the crème de la crème. Keep your eyes on the road, for fks sakes, I'm sorry but this was just badly written. You don't even need to sacrifice your sanity, hundreds of hours of gruelling training and great intelligence to know that. Why do they think they're taking a drive through their local roads. What stopped them from stopping? What made me cringe especially hard was they encountered the same scenario and should've learnt from their mistakes, not drop the ball right after making a commentary that they needed to concentrate. Was there an aggressive driver behind them... I can't even..

btw, I think Gibson may have fallen down the same crater... might be interesting later on.
Cloud_IllusionsNov 20, 2017 4:21 PM
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Nov 20, 2017 4:19 PM

Feb 2016
Man, oh man, this entire scene is so contrived... I just realised that hundreds of guys are supporting these astronauts, it's clear as day that astronauts being in a '2d' environment would struggle to see the large crater holes.

The team should've brought up satellite images before hand and told which routes they should take... You know, I know it's unfair to compare, and while right now, I still think space brothers deserves a higher mark than planetes, planetes would never, never, write up this bullshit scenario, ironically, even without JAXA expertise, they would never be so ungrounded to write this scenario in.
Nothing can happen until you swing the bat.
Mar 9, 2018 7:05 AM

Feb 2013
WTF are you doing Damian!!!!!!!
You have to watch where you're driving, damn it all.
Oct 27, 2020 11:54 AM
Apr 2016
I... I was just eating bread... and then that happened... I froze and stared at the screen for 3 minutes... pausing right at the ending... WTF man.
Oct 27, 2020 3:37 PM

Dec 2007
damn that ending, seems hibito going to be fine, but i wonder how they will get out of there.

i can't they actually eat worms...

the speech of jaxa director were really good, really like him.

and mutta is right, that man can't make it less-boring?
Apr 30, 2022 10:25 PM

Jun 2020
Agreed with others saying that the whole Moon incident felt super contrived. These astronauts have trained for this mission for 18(i guess?) months straight, how the heck were they not prepared for this? Why wouldn't they learn after one mistake?

I still love this show, but this is felt really odd. Damian needs to go back to driving school again, he forgot that you keep your eyes on the fucking road especially when driving on moon.
Aug 7, 2023 6:05 PM

Dec 2018
That was moving. Ya-kun, i hope you get another shot, you deserve it.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 99 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Allografter - Mar 22, 2014

152 by valoon »»
Apr 7, 4:50 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Rinji- - Aug 10, 2013

63 by ohmmoto »»
Jan 27, 8:57 PM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 28 Discussion

MissileSoup - Oct 13, 2012

48 by bankredmeadow »»
Jan 22, 8:28 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 43 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Kurini - Feb 2, 2013

150 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 22, 7:10 AM

Poll: » Uchuu Kyoudai Episode 16 Discussion

thunderrain - Jul 14, 2012

41 by Unkrowned »»
Jan 21, 3:17 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.