Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Jan 7, 2013 7:08 AM
Dec 2012
JustALEX said:
OK, now that I made my serious comment, I want to have a little fun with any and all theists.

so, here we go:

Can the Christian god (who is Omnipotent) create a rock so heavy he can't lift it?

Be very careful how you answer theists!

Uhh.. The omnipotence paradox has already been discussed here

JustALEX said:
dankickyou said:
First things first, The Christian God doesnt seem to be omnipotent as it has shown limits. Next, a truly omnipotent God would create a rock so lift that heavy itself cannot God it.

Lol.

Unfortunately for Christians their own holy book is the best source for atheist to pick apart their silly religion.

The Christian god makes little to no sense and the fact that the desert nomads who wrote the highly flawed bible gave him all sorts of powers and yet this "god" still manages to mess everything up is quite laughable.

It's like making a Superhero with every single super power and he still has a hard time accomplishing simple tasks.

You were christian and didn't learn about free will? It's humans who mess everything up. I suggest you study the bible again.
Not_BiasedJan 7, 2013 7:12 AM
Jan 7, 2013 7:28 AM

Mar 2011
Not_Biased said:
You were christian and didn't learn about free will? It's humans who mess everything up. I suggest you study the bible again.

I loved it when the human race discovered how to cause earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, diseases etc. but then they went all bitchy and were like "OMG, let's kill loads of innocents with an earthquake! FUCK YOU HAITI!".

Human are beyond help amiright?
Jan 7, 2013 7:36 AM
Dec 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:
Not_Biased said:

I loved it when the human race discovered how to cause earthquakes, tsunamis, volcanoes, diseases etc. but then they went all bitchy and were like "OMG, let's kill loads of innocents with an earthquake! FUCK YOU HAITI!".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Frequency_Active_Auroral_Research_Program

exactly
Jan 7, 2013 7:38 AM

Sep 2012
Not_Biased said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
Not_Biased said:

exactly
Congratulations. You just lost this argument.

Also, I think this picture is somehow relevant:
Red_KeysJan 7, 2013 7:50 AM
Jan 7, 2013 7:39 AM
Oct 2011
Red_Keys said:
Not_Biased said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
Not_Biased said:

exactly

did he ever win any?
Jan 7, 2013 7:43 AM

Apr 2012
Candor said:
Red_Keys said:
Not_Biased said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
Not_Biased said:

exactly

did he ever win any?

There was one thread where he

As a child, I was told that society is a melting pot of talents; knowledge and experience combined to form important alloys that will contribute to mankind. When I got to highschool, however, I thought that it's more like a river in which the water represents our peers while we ourselves are the stones in the river. Constant erosion by mindless majority sheeping has made us lose our unique edge. After I hit the age of 18, I realized that I've been wrong all along. Society is no melting pot. Society is no river. Society is a person, a very skilled rapist, and he has fucked us all.
Jan 7, 2013 7:49 AM

Nov 2011
Not_Biased said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
Not_Biased said:

exactly

Bollocks. Tesla is the only man who can cause natural disasters.
The Art of Eight
Jan 7, 2013 7:50 AM

Jul 2011
So glad this thread worked out well like all the others.
Jan 7, 2013 8:14 AM

Mar 2011
Not_Biased said:
InfiniteRyvius said:
Not_Biased said:

exactly

Those bastards! So they are the people I should blame for Malaria, those sadistic bastards!

Where's my tin foil hat?
Jan 7, 2013 1:17 PM

Jun 2008
Not_Biased said:
Uhh.. The omnipotence paradox has already been discussed here

Ah....very well, I didn't know.

So, I guess you shouldn't believe in an omnipotent god, correct?

Since it's illogical and what not...

Not_Biased said:

Lolers.

No sir, I suggest YOU read the bible.

I'm very well versed in the bible, and I know what's in it.

Our "free will" is akin to having a gun placed in the back of our heads while the madman tells us to make a choice but only ONE choice pleases him, while the other is sure to make him pull the trigger.
Jan 7, 2013 4:26 PM

Feb 2005
JustALEX said:
Our "free will" is akin to having a gun placed in the back of our heads while the madman tells us to make a choice but only ONE choice pleases him, while the other is sure to make him pull the trigger.
Heh, the Bible is a awful bundle of plot holes and contradictions, especially on this point.

It's obvious to anyone with some logical ability that the god is responsible for everything and cannot ever be the "loving father" it is supposed to be.
Being omnipotent and thus omniscient, it would know the outcome of all of history down to the very last detail, and thus be in a position to change all this. The original sin and every "evil" act mankind has ever done could easily have been avoided if the god wished so, but it chose to allow this future to come to being, efficiently becoming the sole responsible authority behind every "evil" ever, but still judging us for committing them.

Not a fellow anyone in their right minds would want to worship.
Jan 7, 2013 4:45 PM

Dec 2009
It's simply because we are not designed to be perfect and does not deserve what is called savior. To get that green card, we need to do something.
Jan 7, 2013 4:53 PM

Feb 2005
bottle said:
It's simply because we are not designed to be perfect and does not deserve what is called savior. To get that green card, we need to do something.
Indeed. According to Christian mythology, their god is a vile tyrant, purposefully creating flawed beings and threatening to punish them for it lest they worship him. It is a choice of death or genuflection.
Small wonder they call it a "slave morality".
Jan 7, 2013 4:54 PM

Dec 2009
Indeed, when the slaves forget they won't even exist or have any ability to think to begin with.
Jan 7, 2013 4:57 PM

Mar 2011
God's a bit of a prick isn't he?
Jan 7, 2013 4:59 PM

Apr 2012
Question time! If god asked you to jump of a cliff? Would you do it?

Jul 2012
Baman said:
JustALEX said:
Heh, the Bible is a awful bundle of plot holes and contradictions, especially on this point.

It's obvious to anyone with some logical ability that the god is responsible for everything and cannot ever be the "loving father" it is supposed to be.
Being omnipotent and thus omniscient, it would know the outcome of all of history down to the very last detail, and thus be in a position to change all this. The original sin and every "evil" act mankind has ever done could easily have been avoided if the god wished so, but it chose to allow this future to come to being, efficiently becoming the sole responsible authority behind every "evil" ever, but still judging us for committing them.

Not a fellow anyone in their right minds would want to worship.

Because he didn't want to make puppets. Yes, God could have mad man unable to commit sin, but then what would be the point of him making man in the first place? If you had a child, you would want it to choose to love you, not have to love you. It then comes down to if someone chooses to sin/continue to sin/repent for their actions.
But then of course this deviates into different opinions of right and wrong, and were not all bout to suddenly come to a consensus on the matter.

That's just my humble opinion, most likely flawed in some way. Please don't take my statement as some widely accepted opinion, it happens to much. (In general, that is)

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.

Feb 2005
bottle said:
Indeed, when the slaves forget they won't even exist or have any ability to think to begin with.
Well, if something as absurd as a god like that actually existed, we could just use our equally absurd powers of human conviction to cast the tyrant down, feast on its corpse and forge our own destiny, et cetera, glorious chaos and so on and so forth.
QuiGonJon said:
Because he didn't want to make puppets. Yes, God could have mad man unable to commit sin, but then what would be the point of him making man in the first place? If you had a child, you would want it to choose to love you, not have to love you. It then comes down to if someone chooses to sin/continue to sin/repent for their actions.
So what.
The fact remains that the god would be solely responsible for all the "evil" in the world, but still be punishing the witless puppets that were just doing what he made them to do.
We might have free will from our perspective, but from the omniscient god's perspective, everything that happens till the end of time is already decided and allowed to happen by his will.
Jan 7, 2013 5:30 PM

Jul 2012
Baman said:
QuiGonJon said:
So what.
The fact remains that the god would be solely responsible for all the "evil" in the world, but still be punishing the witless puppets that were just doing what he made them to do.
We might have free will from our perspective, but from the omniscient god's perspective, everything that happens till the end of time is already decided and allowed to happen by his will.

Sure, God would be responsible for evil existing, but not for the actions one takes. He didn't make them to sin, he made them able to sin. (Well according to Christianity it would be more akin to man being having the choice to be able to sin; that is the fall of man where man was deceived, ate the fruit and was then able to sin. My point being that man wasn't designed to be able to sin, but I digress) I heard an interesting theory on the issue of free will, that being certain events and the conclusion are already set in stone, with all else having a bit more flexibility. For instance, someone may be set to die at a certain time, but life choices would lead to different deaths, each set of choices and ultimate outcome all having different repercussions, but still ultimately being the same conclusion. God didn't plan every single second, he set the cogs in motion, leaving most of the journey to us, while the destination remains unchanged regardless.
Something (vaguely)akin to the World Line Convergence in Steins;Gate, if you will.
That's just my take on the matter though.

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Jan 7, 2013 5:34 PM

Apr 2012
Honestly I don't think there's much correlation between personal belief and religious belief. I've met fairly intelligent Catholics and borderline retarded atheists. Sure maybe intelligence does play some role in belief but in the end it mostly comes down to faith.

(And I'm an atheist in case that plays any role in my answer)
Jan 7, 2013 5:35 PM

Sep 2011
QuiGonJon said:

Sure, God would be responsible for evil existing, but not for the actions one takes. He didn't make them to sin, he made them able to sin. (Well according to Christianity it would be more akin to man being having the choice to be able to sin; that is the fall of man where man was deceived, ate the fruit and was then able to sin. My point being that man wasn't designed to be able to sin, but I digress) I heard an interesting theory on the issue of free will, that being certain events and the conclusion are already set in stone, with all else having a bit more flexibility. For instance, someone may be set to die at a certain time, but life choices would lead to different deaths, each set of choices and ultimate outcome all having different repercussions, but still ultimately being the same conclusion. God didn't plan every single second, he set the cogs in motion, leaving most of the journey to us, while the destination remains unchanged regardless.
Something (vaguely)akin to the World Line Convergence in Steins;Gate, if you will.

Then it's his fault for making sinning so damn fun and enjoyable. It's also healthy in some cases. If his intention is for us not to sin, then he's an asshole.
Come visit my town // I apologize in advance for my second-rate English

Join my fan club // Improve the transport network
Jan 7, 2013 5:37 PM

Jul 2012
JennyEsquire said:
QuiGonJon said:

Then it's his fault for making sinning so damn fun and enjoyable. It's also healthy in some cases. If his intention is for us not to sin, then he's an asshole.

QuiGonJon said:

But then of course this deviates into different opinions of right and wrong, and were not all bout to suddenly come to a consensus on the matter.

Jan 7, 2013 5:40 PM

Sep 2011
QuiGonJon said:

QuiGonJon said:

I'm sorry, I was cold posting.

Jan 7, 2013 5:42 PM

Jul 2012
JennyEsquire said:
QuiGonJon said:

QuiGonJon said:

I'm sorry, I was cold posting.

I'm not familiar with that term, mind elaborating? :P
QuiGonJonJan 7, 2013 5:46 PM

Jan 7, 2013 6:05 PM

Sep 2011
QuiGonJon said:

I posted without having read most of this thread

Jan 7, 2013 6:34 PM

Jul 2012
JennyEsquire said:
QuiGonJon said:

I posted without having read most of this thread

Ah I see, thanks

Jan 7, 2013 6:50 PM

Feb 2005
QuiGonJon said:
You miss my point.
On the subject of guilt, it is irrelevant whether or not this god planned every action. To him, they are all known, the fates of every victim of war and murder and even what you will have for breakfast tomorrow.

Being the ultimate creator, he has made the world as it is, fully knowing everything that will happen, and so, he is the only one to blame for everything.
And even if, according to Christianity, it's god did not design humans with a preference for modes of behaviour which he arbitrarily categorized as sinful, he still knew beforehand they would eat that silly apple and end up doing it all anyways.
His inaction in light of his position as omnipotent creator means we are all fundamentally guiltless in anything we do, as anything we do has already been deemed acceptable by god when he created us.

And thus, God is found guilty of all the evils in this world.
Jan 7, 2013 7:25 PM

Jan 2013
I see no reason to think that intelligence and religious belief are at odds with one another.
Salmon is delicious.
Jan 7, 2013 7:41 PM

Dec 2012
what the hell are you basing "intelligence" off of? people who do math well? people who knew how to build shit like the coloseums and pyramids? shits too vague to just say "intelligent" people. someone is always going to know something that another person does not.
i guess a good example of religious intelligence would be the Free Masons.
even the Vatican has scientists and shit.
Jan 7, 2013 8:02 PM

May 2010
I doubt that anyone here is in MENSA (don't take this negatively, I just doubt it), but religion is independent of intelligence to a degree.
Jan 7, 2013 8:13 PM

Dec 2009
Baman said:
bottle said:
Well, if something as absurd as a god like that actually existed, we could just use our equally absurd powers of human conviction to cast the tyrant down, feast on its corpse and forge our own destiny, et cetera, glorious chaos and so on and so forth.

Actually, human probably did it, there probably existed more than one human kind on earth. Sometimes I think we may be just cockroaches in front of god. It's really absurd but there are some persons who raise cockroaches as pets.
Jan 7, 2013 9:23 PM

Jul 2012
Baman said:
QuiGonJon said:
You miss my point.
On the subject of guilt, it is irrelevant whether or not this god planned every action. To him, they are all known, the fates of every victim of war and murder and even what you will have for breakfast tomorrow.

Being the ultimate creator, he has made the world as it is, fully knowing everything that will happen, and so, he is the only one to blame for everything.
And even if, according to Christianity, it's god did not design humans with a preference for modes of behaviour which he arbitrarily categorized as sinful, he still knew beforehand they would eat that silly apple and end up doing it all anyways.
His inaction in light of his position as omnipotent creator means we are all fundamentally guiltless in anything we do, as anything we do has already been deemed acceptable by god when he created us.

Yes its true he knew what would happen, and he knew this even before he put his plan into motion, including how different people would act and use free will and the sins some would commit. That doesn't mean he wouldn't go through with his plan to avoid said sins form being committed. Do you keep children from playing with each other because you know there will eventually come a time when they will fight and possibly hurt each other?
The most important thing to God when he created man was free will, and he would give it to man regardless of the fact that some would misuse it. It's not deemed as acceptable, more as inevitable. He is saddened by this, but he sees free will as more than worth it.

Inaction =/= Guilt
Is a father guilty of a child getting hurt by falling off a bike because the father didn't take away the child's bike, even while knowing the child would almost certainly get hurt while learning to ride it?
QuiGonJonJan 7, 2013 9:30 PM

Jan 7, 2013 9:31 PM

Nov 2011
Baman said:
QuiGonJon said:
You miss my point.

Ah! But by being the ultimate creator, everything it does is ultimately "right". So if the Creator says that punching babies is right and just, than that becomes a new law of the universe, unchallenged by the puny beings of its creation.
The Art of Eight
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

» Do you enjoy nature?

Kamikaze_404 - 34 minutes ago

2 by Rinrinka »»
3 minutes ago

» What do you think about online friendship?

Mehwish_999 - Apr 21

36 by Mehwish_999 »»
15 minutes ago

» Are you a slow or fast typier on a computer???

DesuMaiden - Apr 19

33 by ryan77999 »»
18 minutes ago

» What do yall collect? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bevarnow - Jan 25

307 by AverageRiceFan »»
49 minutes ago

» What's the best way to translate Yu-Yu-Hakusho's title

AlphaMaleScotty - Yesterday

8 by AlphaMaleScotty »»
51 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.