Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Mar 6, 2013 5:20 PM
Mar 2012
For those just completing the series, this is a public service announcement:

Please do yourselves a favor and watch Gemini BEFORE you watch Gaiden. It'll be so much better that way.
Mar 14, 2013 10:16 AM

Oct 2011
superseiyan said:
For those just completing the series, this is a public service announcement:

Please do yourselves a favor and watch Gemini BEFORE you watch Gaiden. It'll be so much better that way.

You mean the other way, watch GAIDEN before Gemini!
Mar 30, 2013 4:12 AM

May 2012
A pretty nice ending for this series, I do wonder what the side story or 26th episode would contain! And of course the other season! This first season is quite interesting though the concept of having one case spread over two episodes wasn't for me the best way ti build up story development but the pace in these episodes was decent so that was rather a plus!

In global the story was pretty nice, great action and a good ending in general!
May 5, 2013 7:37 PM

Dec 2012
End was pretty good, question is, does he now have his sisters powers as his own, or is she still attached to him like before?

How long did Kirihara know... I don't think it was just this episode, I think she has known for a little bit, but because of her feelings (they went on a date and all) and his "non-contractor" type of personality, she didn't want to really believe it or straight ask him...

I enjoyed this show a lot, and look forward to the next part!
May 8, 2013 12:00 AM

Mar 2013
This anime had a lot going for it, but ultimately it kind of failed to flesh out anything properly. From what I've heard of the sequel it seems none of the important questions will ever be answered, which is disappointing. Still an enjoyable series though, the atmosphere is like nothing I've ever come across before. A solid 7/10.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

May 30, 2013 7:24 AM
Apr 2013
I think the ending was pretty good and also you got to know why Amber betrayed the Syndicate. But I think that they should do a season with what happens in south america and how Hei and Bai joined the Syndicate. It would be good I think that everybody is wondering why Hei wasn't with the others when south america vanished.
May 30, 2013 7:29 AM
Apr 2013
hounddog said:
vindemon64 said:
I was trying to figure out how Kirihara would figure out the BK-201 was Li and that was kind of anti-climatic with the way they made her intuitively know it.

I don't know that it was sudden intuition so much as having suspicions for a long time, and taking a chance by calling out "Li-san!" I thought it was great. :)

Loved this series and this ep (especially the GRAR look on his face when he decided to return to Yin). Sorry to see it end, but better to go out with a good ending than drag on and ruin itself. Definitely buying the DVDs...eventually!
The reason that Hei survived Heavens war was because he wasn't there when the gate disappeared. I dunno about Havoc but was not there when it disappeared. He probably had a fight with Amber and left the group. When he saw everyone there it was for real. Remember that inside the gate everything is possible thats why Amber was able to get him back in time even if she was dead
May 30, 2013 6:05 PM

Jun 2012
really good show I don't know if is answered all questions but I have no questions at least. maybe because it was to epic to think about anything.

for now I give it a 10/10 I know it was not perfect but because there is more to come I think this will be a good start to make the next seasons from this end if not actually start form the point it ended here I might give it a 9/10.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Jun 30, 2013 11:56 AM
Sep 2011
Well i really enjoyed this show, i think all of my questions are answered, and I have liked atmosphere that was in whole anime feel of loneliness and nothing at other hand..

for now i gave it 10/10 not because it was the best anime i have ever seen but because i think that second season have big potential..Looking forward for season finale!
Jul 2, 2013 7:42 PM

Aug 2012
The scene inside the gate reminded me of the last episode of Evangelion.
Jul 4, 2013 8:42 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
I like Hei's sister's real name, Xing :) no wonder he liked to look at stars. I wonder what his real name is? And I feel stupid for not realizing that Pai = white in Mandarin...why can't they just say Bai? It makes sense now that they're Hei/Bai.

Anyways, I thought the ending was good, though yeah, it didn't answer a bunch of the questions. I think that's fine though, because the main point of the anime imo is that it explores the theme of what's human by using contractors vs. normal people. In the aspect, they did a pretty good job. Plot wise, I thought it wasn't anything too amazing, but that's just because I somehow didn't find more than half the episodes to be that interesting. Still, I liked the character development, the themes and the action. So overall, it was still at least enjoyable. I also liked how Kirihara realizes that BK-201 = Li. Also, what was with that grandma? She annoys the heck out of me saying all those abstract things as if she knows what's going on or what will happen. No I don't care, because she barely contributed to the anime, unless I'm missing something.
Jul 7, 2013 8:17 PM

Jan 2012
i bought a stupid pizza hut because of that plugins!
My Guitar Covers:
Playlist

I CAN ALWAYS SHOW MY EVERYTHING TO YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUU
Jul 11, 2013 7:07 AM

Aug 2012
9/10 for me :) great series
Jul 16, 2013 10:14 AM

Feb 2013
I completely loved the story so far; makes me wonder what will happen next between Hei and Misaki. However they did answer all the question I was thinking.
Jesus can walk on water. Cucumbers are 96% water. I can walk on cucumbers. I'm 96% Jesus.
Jul 23, 2013 2:49 PM

Aug 2012
Indulgence said:
Confucius said:
25 episodes and not a single episode explained what the "gate" really is and what the "syndicate" really is, and the roles of the characters.

These flaws are why I don't know what to rate this series. The plot holes are massive, and I think this series is a tad overrated (hate using that word but it's true). It also doesn't help that apparently the sequel and OVAs do not answer these questions either.

On the plus side, I think the characters really drove this series for me. Hei is definitely one of the better male protagonists that I have come across.

I agree with those points. I think I'll still rate DtB 8/10, for the entertainment (animation, soundtrack, action, characters).

Sad the plot was nearly nonexistent till about 2/3 in, and all that episodic stuff is not so much of my taste. And sad that some core questions remain totally unanswered >_>

Aug 2, 2013 6:43 PM

Sep 2011
"The man named Li is dead."

Quite a few plot holes, but a very good watch overall. Hopefully the OVA and the next season shed some light on some of the missing details. :)
Aug 4, 2013 2:52 AM
Feb 2012
Intense episode full of interesting dialogues. Overall a quite fitting and superb Ending for the series.

Watched it for the second time now the german dubbed one and I'm kind of glad to know that my impression of my lack of understanding wasn't unjustified. The series leaves a lot of question unanswered but makes a strong case for Anime dub's.

Loved the Cow Bebop meets X-men feeling it overall had surrounded by a fitting music. Solid 9/10 points. Can't wait for the 2nd season to be dubbed.
Aug 19, 2013 8:14 PM

Feb 2013
It was a satisfying ending even though it didn't fill any of its plot holes.
I loved the scene where Hei meets all the contractors he met during the entire series.

9/10

It is such an awesome show. Had interesting premise, great characters, beautiful OST and exciting fight scenes (even though it were short).
I hope the OVA and its second season shed some light on those unanswered questions.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Aug 30, 2013 12:46 AM

Dec 2012
Interesting series, I definitely liked how the episodic nature of it built up to the bigger story. It was also a good twist to learn of the Syndicate's true nature and how influential they really are, rather than just being another criminal gang. It's a bit of a let down that some of the bigger questions such as the true nature of the gate were left unanswered. Personally I'd rather they had replaced some of the episodic arcs to flesh out the bigger concepts.

With all said and done, I definitely plan to watch the sequels in the near future. Overall I give this an 8.5/10, although I'll be rounding down for MAL since I think there were a few things missing for it to go up to 9 for me.
Sep 26, 2013 11:17 AM

Aug 2012
I loved the show and loved the ending. And I don't really need every question answered in this anime. Sometimes it's much better when some of the mystery remains.

But I still need to see the syndicate's end, so my hopes go for the second season...
Sep 30, 2013 1:52 PM

Jan 2013
I found this anime entertaining so I kept watching it, overall it's quite good 8/10.
Going to watch the sequels too.
Sep 30, 2013 5:54 PM

Aug 2013
Meritas said:
The last episode was like... meh. But the anime overall turned like something good. Sayonara Amber, you were really great character!

1. Characters. +1. Well there were some awesome characters like Amber and November 11. Not only them, but some of the episodic characters too. The detective and the girl he was working with are one of my most favorite characters :p .
2. Atmosphere. +1. I definitely like the bleak atmosphere of this anime. It's actually my most favorite bit of Darker than Black.
3. OST. +1. There were some nice tracks, and both of the OPs were great, especially the first one. I didn't like the first ED, but the second one was really good imo.
4. Animation. +1. At first glance I didn't like it, it was quite shiny for my taste. But then I think the animation got "fixed", especially the glazy looks of the characters.
5. Background story. +1. I liked Hei's background more than the storyline of the anime itself.
6. Storyline. It was "meh" storyline for me, definitely not the best scenario I've seen to now. In fact, most of the episodes I liked are outside of the storyline.
7. Ending. meh much? Non-decisive endings like this one... I don't like them. But I expect something better from the next Season.
8. Fight scenes. +1. They were very good nonetheless. Especially the fights between Hei and the thai guy.
9. Drama. Meh. Not much drama in DtB, at least not in this season. There were some touching moments tho.
10. Overall feeling. +1. The atmosphere was bleak, the characters fitted in perfectly. There were nice stories in it. Surely on of the better animes I've watched if not one of the best. All in all, this anime perhaps deserves higher score than the one I'm going to give.

Overall score: 7/10.
I'm definitely looking forward to the next season.

Overall, what this guy said. I've enyojed the anime specially since Amber showed up, but if I need to look for an explanation to understand the season finale then there's something wrong. I definitely hate these endings.

7/10
Dec 21, 2013 11:35 AM

Jul 2012
7/10
Wished characters were a bit more complex and likable. Wished story would be more linear instead of random episodic mysteries here and there. Wished I could have liked it more but some episodes were boring. Wished things made more sense.

Great fight scenes and ideas though. It reminded me of Baccano! as well as Psycho Pass. Fun.
Jan 18, 2014 8:58 PM

Jul 2013
I really loved the whole show. The reason everyone complained about was the main reason I loved it. The whole anime had a sense of mystery which kept you guessing and even though you had no clue what was going on, you started to love the anime more and more. Even though a lot of the anime was serious, there were a few lighter, funny episodes with the detectives.

I thought Darker than Black was perfect, awesome story, awesome characters and awesome art and sound. Can't wait to start the next season.
Pirates are evil? The Marines are righteous? These terms have always changed throughout the course of history! Kids who have never seen peace and kids who have never seen war have different values! Those who stand at the top determine what's wrong and what's right! This very place is neutral ground! Justice will prevail, you say? But of course it will! Whoever wins this war becomes justice!
- Doflamingo
Jan 19, 2014 7:29 PM

Mar 2013
I thought that the finale would be episode 26 since the DVD that I rent has 26 episodes. Anyway. great ending. Too bad we can't see Amber anymore.
Jan 24, 2014 5:31 AM

Jul 2013
8/10
Feb 4, 2014 5:54 AM
Jan 2014
Anybody know what happened to Mao ( The Black Cat ) ? Is He Die or something, if he is how he dies ? PLEASE Tell me ..... Its Bothering Me SOOOO MUCH .

- [Kuro] Rating = 10/10
Feb 12, 2014 12:20 AM

Sep 2013
Short question to the end of 25, the scene where Kirihara tries to talk with Hei after he left his appartment .. she said that she wants to know something from him personally .. what she want to know? :o
Feb 13, 2014 8:27 PM

Aug 2013
Ahh... haven't had so much questions in the head when watching an anime in a while.
Too bad they didn't really touch on most of the mysteries throughout the story.
Hei is so freakin' badass.. would like to see more awesome fighting stunts.
Why did they have to pull the sacrificial flag..? I hate that.. I will miss you Amber. </3

Well.. time to continue Gaiden and Ryuusei no Gemini.
Mar 17, 2014 12:34 AM

Jul 2012
I love this so much! I never wanted it to end... ;_;

They did leave quite a few things unexplained and I had so many questions which neither Gemini of the Meteor or the Gaiden answered. If anything, the sequels created even more questions. At least for me...

Still, it can only be 10/10 though this is in no small part due to my incredible bias and love for Hei <3

I thoroughly enjoyed the Darker Than Black series despite it's shortcomings. The story, the action and the characters were all amazing to me. I got really attached and often found myself feeling sad whenever an episode finished because it's one step closer to the end.

Now I'll be forever wishing for season 3...
Jun 10, 2014 6:30 AM

May 2013
That was a satisfying ending to a great series. I have a few questions but they don't bother me that much. A 9/10 for this series.
Jun 25, 2014 12:50 PM

Feb 2014
mayukachan said:
7/10
Wished characters were a bit more complex and likable. Wished story would be more linear instead of random episodic mysteries here and there. Wished I could have liked it more but some episodes were boring. Wished things made more sense.

Great fight scenes and ideas though. It reminded me of Baccano! as well as Psycho Pass. Fun.

Well said. I had very high hopes as this was fairly popular and praised anime but I ended somehow dissapointed. (not saying I dislike it, if things were done a little bit differently I would gladly give it 10/10)

The paragraphs below display some of my reproaches.

I thought that characters were going to be a driving force, but they ended up to be pretty shallow and forgettable. One of the most interesting character's and supposedly 'main' character's, Amber's, screentime is like what...? 3 minutes throughout all the season...? But thank God the most shallow character, Yin survived.

Also this episodic form of telling a story doesn't suit this at all as half of the season is boring. Mainly arcs about detective which I believe were supposed to lighten the atmosphere and add comic feature.

Setting and mystery are, however, very good and interesting as well as fights. These things make up for the most part.

7.5/10 for me but 8/10 in mal... Let's move onto the second season.
Between the adult world and the world of kids,

there, Holyland exists.
Jul 6, 2014 10:48 PM

Oct 2013
for me this series was ok Idk I guess i was expecting a little more
7/10
[/quote]
Jul 19, 2014 12:01 PM

Jun 2013
A good serie, I think it would be even better if one or two arc were delete making the story more linear because I was bored on the first one and the one where Hei infiltrated Pandora.
7/10
Jul 24, 2014 4:50 PM
Jun 2014
Just finished and honestly I was a bit disappointed. There are mechanics that I still want to know about, like how contractors came into existence (Sure, Hei can change particles but... what makes a contractor), the significance of the Gates, etc.

7.5/10 round to 8/10.
ElrondelJul 24, 2014 4:54 PM
Aug 14, 2014 1:07 PM
Mar 2012
Black26Cat said:
Anybody know what happened to Mao ( The Black Cat ) ? Is He Die or something, if he is how he dies ? PLEASE Tell me ..... Its Bothering Me SOOOO MUCH .

- [Kuro] Rating = 10/10

I haven't checked your list, but did you continue on and watch Gemini?
Aug 31, 2014 12:30 PM

Jul 2010
I've watched this series a second time and still don't understand the ending. Or to be more precisely the full function of the meteor shard and the power of Hei xD
Furthermore what exactly happend at heaven's gate o:
Sep 4, 2014 3:21 PM

Jul 2014
Great anime, the way the story is told, although weird, ties up nicely at the end. Kinda like DMC anime.
Now to see an OVA, some Gaidens, and season 2 =D
Nov 1, 2014 4:14 AM
Jun 2013
Story was aiight. Hei was the man. Ending was confusing and boring as fuck. 8/10
Nov 1, 2014 4:16 AM
Jun 2013
I didn't get the fucking ending, I hate anime like this. 8/10
Nov 2, 2014 2:42 AM

Aug 2013
9/10.
Great series.
I love how they developed all characters.
Amazing art for 2007. Soundtrack is beautiful.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Nov 8, 2014 6:21 AM

Nov 2010
Great show and art with a good end, I liked the lighter moments that was inserted as well with Mao, Gai and Kiko
I'm not sure how old the source material was before it was animated, but it seems like a lot of other series took some of it like this one had done from previous aired anime

The world and it's politics was explained well and each of the other side characters had their moment to shine
Superheroes paying the price of having a tick in order to use it's ability was interesting
Maki, Amber and the Chinese bodyguard had the most awesome skills onscreen besides Hei

Adding the Japanese police force which had no superpowers at all it was a huge cast to work with which blended in well most of the time

Luckily there is more to see next with the four OVA and second season
Nov 8, 2014 8:56 AM
Mar 2012
1lau said:
Great show and art with a good end, I liked the lighter moments that was inserted as well with Mao, Gai and Kiko
I'm not sure how old the source material was before it was animated, but it seems like a lot of other series took some of it like this one had done from previous aired anime

The world and it's politics was explained well and each of the other side characters had their moment to shine
Superheroes paying the price of having a tick in order to use it's ability was interesting
Maki, Amber and the Chinese bodyguard had the most awesome skills onscreen besides Hei

Adding the Japanese police force which had no superpowers at all it was a huge cast to work with which blended in well most of the time

Luckily there is more to see next with the four OVA and second season

Watch season 2 before the OVA if you haven't started already.
Nov 17, 2014 4:12 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
A little bit confusing finale to anime that I enjoyed a lot. I really liked the atmosphere of not-knowing-everything. And then catching up by collecting little bits of informations about Syndicate and so on. About the episode: I'm really sad that we won't get any more of Amber! She was such a good character and it's dissapointing that we won't get to know her. I really enjoyed Huang character development as the series progressed. Overall it's very good anime, now time to watch specials and season 2 ^^.
Nov 30, 2014 11:50 PM

Oct 2013
seemed to end fairly quickly.
but overall pretty good
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 25, 2015 11:33 PM

Feb 2012
Once again Bones gives us the middle finger and says "nah, we just like to think of good stories, but a fulfilling or well thought-out ending--that'll never happen"

Everything was fine and dandy till the last episode, and I thought they had something to wrap it up, but this is the most disappointing thing ever.

And that scene with Hei meeting the dead people and Amber covering Hei's mouth before he could say anything... What an anticlimatic way to cheaply draw in all the previous characters, and a cheap way to contrive something between Amber and Hei. Hell, I ship those two all the way to Saturn but that absolutely in no ways did it any justice. Japan, can't you ever let your men finish their last words to their beloved

Looks like we got Boned...
Mar 8, 2015 4:45 PM
Nov 2014
Damn I love Hei but the ending was abit confusing but I still loved this anime. Story was alright I guess.

The build up deserved 10 but I'll give it 9 because the ending confused me abit.
Mar 8, 2015 7:09 PM

Jul 2014
A great watch albeit a bit confusing. Nothing a quick google search can't solve however :P
Mar 27, 2015 5:44 AM

Dec 2013
This show was AWESOME.

Every moment I felt lured into this show and it was freakin epic and anticipating. I really loved every second of it.

The end... was rather lackluster well... it was great but I felt that it was not as great as the buildup to the end. I loved the plot when it hit the climax. But the ending was decent I must say, in the end Hei saves all the contractors and humans. Not bad but so many people died in the process and they didn't really solve everything, I mean history can repeat itself in the future.

Overall this is SUPER similar to Phantom and even the ending but I must say this ending was probably better. Loved it... Yin tho :( where is her kawaii body?

This episode definitely 5/5 but this series is like a 9.5, borderline 10. I'll give it a 9 because I feel the ending did not hit the 10/10 mark but it could've. So overall 9/10. Great show. I don't know if i should start S2 or not...
"No one knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite.” - Okabe Rintarou

"El Psy Congroo."

Kirino Kyousake Picture
Jun 16, 2015 8:30 AM

Aug 2014
A really great show with several likeable characters, especially the main 3 (4 if you count the cat I suppose?) characters. A shame Huang ended up dying, I started liking him after learning more about his past. But hey atleast Hei, Yin and the cat (forgot his name) are alive. This episode was a quite good finish to the show aswell.

10/10 even though there were several confusing points, it's not like it ruined the show for me.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Zel - Jul 21, 2007

105 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Faust721 - Jul 21, 2007

100 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 4, 10:55 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - Jun 13, 2007

99 by TheMangaManiac »»
Mar 11, 4:13 PM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

144 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:44 AM

Poll: » Darker than BLACK Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - Jul 6, 2007

102 by YankataY »»
Dec 10, 2023 11:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.