Forum Settings
Forums

Practical anime lovers that don't rewatch anime, do you torrent/download or buy DVD/Bluray? Why?

Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Poll: How do you get your anime? Assuming you're a practical anime lover who doesn't rewatch anime.

Jan 4, 2013 10:18 AM
That awkward moment when your thread backfires....

Jan 4, 2013 10:20 AM
Holybaptiser said:
Wanting to have the highest quality version of something has no relevance with wanting to re-watch it.
I also put out the assumption that this "practical" person considers the benefits of 780p and 1080p as being minute, compared to streaming.

Jan 4, 2013 10:21 AM

stanklem28 said:
Slyr3do0n said:
stanklem28 said:
I did mention that this thread is kind of reserved for non-rewatchers. Hey, I can't stop liars, and neither can I stop rewatchers from coming into this thread and commenting.

Why don't you want re-watchers though?
Things would make too much sense if there were re-watchers. The question would be answered way too easily.

"Why you ask? Because I'll just load them up and rewatch them later." *insert trollface picture*

If you think that that's the only reason for torrenting I don't think you'll ever get why people actually do it, and this thread becomes pretty pointless. I do re-watch anime, though I'm not sure I've even re-watched a single one that I've downloaded. Besides, you can't fully understand a situation if you ignore arguments.

Jan 4, 2013 10:25 AM

stanklem28 said:
Holybaptiser said:
Wanting to have the highest quality version of something has no relevance with wanting to re-watch it.
I also put out the assumption that this "practical" person considers the benefits of 780p and 1080p as being minute, compared to streaming.
You use the word "practical" in an ignorant way. Some people might find it practical to own a car, because it saves them time, but some others may feel it to be practical to use public transportation because insurance and gas cost too much and even when they need to drive, there is far too much traffic that would be easily avoided riding on the subway.

What is practical for you, may not be practical for others. Also saying, "practical by streaming anime" is an atrocious use of the word...it's out of context. Use a dictionary once in a while.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 4, 2013 10:28 AM

Holybaptiser said:
stanklem28 said:
Holybaptiser said:
You use the word "practical" in an ignorant way. Some people might find it practical to own a car, because it saves the time, but some others may feel it to be practical to use public transportation because insurance and gas cost too much and even when they need to drive, there is far too much traffic that would be easily avoided riding on the subway.

What is practical for you, may not be practical for others. Also saying, "practical by streaming anime" is an atrocious use of the word...it's out of context. Use a dictionary once in a while.

stanklem28 said:
Practical

DraconisMarch said:
Objective

remind you of someone?

Jan 4, 2013 10:30 AM

stanklem28, stop embarrassing yourself.
- http://rederoin.motionsforum.com -
Anime air dates, BD release dates and Amazon stalker estimates for Anime BDs.
My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link

Jan 4, 2013 10:30 AM

I stream. My internet speed is slow and HD video takes too long to acquire/view directly, and I don't have a blu-ray player. Waiting a long ass time so I can enjoy a higher quality animation is less beneficial than watching something instantly. DVDs and stream quality look the same on my screen.

Edit: Plus, a shit ton less bandwidth consumed. I do have a cap.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.

Jan 4, 2013 10:31 AM

Slyr3do0n said:
Holybaptiser said:
stanklem28 said:
Holybaptiser said:
You use the word "practical" in an ignorant way. Some people might find it practical to own a car, because it saves the time, but some others may feel it to be practical to use public transportation because insurance and gas cost too much and even when they need to drive, there is far too much traffic that would be easily avoided riding on the subway.

stanklem28 said:
Practical

DraconisMarch said:
Objective

remind you of someone?
Not really. Care to give me some insight?

Jan 4, 2013 10:34 AM

Holybaptiser said:

It's the way he uses the word. He acts like his viewpoint is above everybody else's by using it as a prefix for every argument he uses even if his argument isn't practical or objective at all.

Jan 4, 2013 10:36 AM

Slyr3do0n said:
Holybaptiser said:

It's the way he uses the word. He acts like his viewpoint is above everybody else's by using it as a prefix for every argument he uses even if his argument isn't practical or objective at all.
Ahhhhhh, our good friend user of mal, Not_Biased.

Jan 4, 2013 10:37 AM

Holybaptiser said:
Slyr3do0n said:
Holybaptiser said:

Oh, you probably don't know who DraconisMarch is do you?

Jan 4, 2013 10:40 AM

Slyr3do0n said:

I rarely see him post, but have seen his videos before.

I think I'm seeing OP more along the lines of someone who can't comprehend why certain people do things differently from him, pretty much what Negative-Travis pointed out.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.

Jan 4, 2013 10:41 AM

Slyr3do0n said:
Holybaptiser said:
Slyr3do0n said:
Holybaptiser said:

Nope. Even if I have seen him/her posting, he/she hasn't made an impression on me.

I'll group him/her with stankelm28 and Not_Biased.

Jan 4, 2013 10:44 AM

I have my 40 inch tv as my fourth monitor and I like to watch good quality. I choose to download instead of stream. It just looks and sounds so much better. And it's more satisfying to burn through folders of anime, and there is no buffer process.

I have a solid 2 mb/s, so it only takes a few minutes to get an episode of a show. I also have 4 TB of HDD space so I don't worry about running out.

1080p is important for movies or official bluray releases, but most of the time it's just upscaled. 720p however, I feel is an important minimum.

Jan 4, 2013 10:44 AM

Stupid threads like this is a waste of bandwidth......See what i did there?
Modified by who_dat_ninja, Jan 4, 2013 11:05 AM

Jan 4, 2013 10:46 AM

Well I could watch it on the web but if I can download it with some pretty high quality pretty fast I will do it without thinking about it twice, besides the difference on quality between 720p and stream it's way too huge, so that way I will always download if I can.
"A shinobi who violates the rules is scum, but a shinobi who abandons their friends is worse than scum" - Uchiha Obito

Jan 4, 2013 11:01 AM

For some reason, OP reminds me of this guy.

Anyhow, I totally understand people who stream since they don't see the point of downloading 20x larger files for what they think is an unnoticeable increase in quality. I used to be the same way; at least, until I streamed the second episode of Madoka Magica in 1080p after watching the first in 360p.

Since then, I've only streamed HD from Crunchyroll and for the rest of my anime, I either download HD torrents or buy the DVD/Blu-Ray box sets.

Also, for the people who say they don't download because of large file sizes, you do realize that you can download entire series (via torrent) in 360 and 480p, right?
Modified by AndyRayy, Jan 4, 2013 11:04 AM

Jan 4, 2013 11:07 AM

AndyRayy said:

Also, for the people who say they don't download because of large file sizes, you do realize that you can download entire series (via torrent) in 360 and 480p, right?

Why would I do that if the streaming already has 360p or 480p?

Jan 4, 2013 11:23 AM

Tavor said:

I'm not sure how good your internet connection is, but streaming can always suffer from buffering, lost connection, taking forever to load a specific part of an episode you want to see, sketchy streaming sites , annoying advertisements, etc.

Granted, if you're not going to rewatch a series and/or always have a reliable internet connection, then there would indeed be no point to downloading low quality torrents.

It just seems that people assume that torrents = HD anime, which isn't necessarily the case.

Jan 4, 2013 11:27 AM

AndyRayy said:
Tavor said:

I'm not sure how good your internet connection is, but streaming can always suffer from buffering, lost connection, taking forever to load a specific part of an episode you want to see, sketchy streaming sites , annoying advertisements, etc.

Granted, if you're not going to rewatch a series and/or always have a reliable internet connection, then there would indeed be no point to downloading low quality torrents.

It just seems that people assume that torrents = HD anime, which isn't necessarily the case.

Yeah, I could see that. For my sake, as my internet is not the greatest, I tend to rely on streaming. Mostly because I can watch as I wait for the buffering to go past a certain point where I don't have to keep pressing pause; on the flip side, I can't really watch what I'm torrenting as it's downloading (as I mentioned, I'm pretty impatient).

Good thing for AdBlock, don't have to do deal with advertisements.

"It just seems that people assume that torrents = HD anime, which isn't necessarily the case." Thank you for pointing that out, that was my predisposition actually, and now understand what you mean.

Jan 4, 2013 11:57 AM

Most of the time I stream on Crunchyroll and Netflix.

I can watch them through my Plasma-screen TV and I'm not too picky on the Quality as long as I can see it and hear it well.

Also if I really enjoyed the Anime, I buy the DVDs.

I don't Torrent for the following reasons:

• I don't trust those sites
  • I'll be hurting the Industry. Want more Anime? Quit hurting the Industry
  • I mainly use up my Laptops space for Games, and Important Updates.

This is my way.
  • Modified by MasterTengkorak, Jan 4, 2013 12:02 PM

Jan 4, 2013 12:06 PM
    SmugCat

stanklem28 said:
    For the torrent/download path, you have to waste a lot of bandwidth and time to download those "ZOMG 1080p/780p" anime. A practical person would say, "Downloading wastes time and bandwidth so I'm just gonna go stream on a semi-high-quality site or something."

I have a very fast internet connection with an unlimited download limit, so those things don't even register for me. I can download a 1080p BD episode in like, 5-10 minutes, so I couldn't care less about the 'problems' you mentioned. And I have a 1080p laptop, so if I can play 1080p why would I settle for anything less? I also have 8TB in external hard drives so space isn't an issue. In fact, I'm going to buy another 3TB drive tomorrow.

I don't like streaming anime because of the lol-quality and because I like to 'keep' anime series in the highest quality I can get. I dunno, I guess I'm just a hoarder. If I had a shit internet connection and limited storage then I would stream, probably. Actually no that's a lie; even when I did have the shittiest connection going a few years ago, I would just download the files and then burn them to DVD when I got a whole series.

The only time I stream is via Crunchyroll on my phone when I'm on a train or at my mum's or something.

Jan 4, 2013 12:15 PM

I've got unlimited internet.

But I still prefer crunchyrolling the anime if the it is available on there, since I dislike having to wait for a download which can take up to half a day for a 1080p encode given my internet speed (6.4mbps).

Jan 4, 2013 4:03 PM
    Isekai MC

I stream most of my anime, but movies and some shows (mostly the higher quality ones like Redline, Makoto Shinkai stuff, KnK, F/Z, GITS) HAVE to be seen in HD so I download those. No "semi-high quality" is gonna compare to a 720p, less so to 1080p. It's not just "sharper lines and sharper sound"... I recomend you make the comparison yourself or look up some online...
    I also download shows I can't find any streaming sources... I download while I'm already watching something else (or in just leave the PC on the whole night downloading/torrenting a bunch of stuff) so there's no time wasted. As for bandwith, never trouble with it. Maybe you should change ISPs.
    As for Blurays/DVD's I buy them sometimes to give something back to the anime industry (eases the guilt a little bit hehe). Also, the boxes are pretty...

Also, 4 hours? Do you still use dial-up?
    Modified by BatoKusanagi, Jan 4, 2013 4:11 PM

Jan 4, 2013 4:10 PM

onedaysnotice said:

But I still prefer crunchyrolling the anime if the it is available on there, since I dislike having to wait for a download which can take up to half a day for a 1080p encode given my internet speed (6.4mbps).

Downloading 1080P of tv rips is pointless.
    - http://rederoin.motionsforum.com -
    Anime air dates, BD release dates and Amazon stalker estimates for Anime BDs.
    My Twitter : link
    My Last.fm : link

Jan 4, 2013 4:27 PM
    Gotta love these anime 'elitists' giving shit to the OP. Play nice children =]

Obviously a whole lot of you are in the US with your unlimited bandwidth. I'm living in a first-world country and the internet here blows shit. A friend of mine pays over $100 AUD for a 'measly' 100 gb / month, and he's loaded.
    This community is terrible.

Jan 4, 2013 4:33 PM

ideefixe said:

Obviously a whole lot of you are in the US with your unlimited bandwidth. I'm living in a first-world country and the internet here blows shit. A friend of mine pays over $100 AUD for a 'measly' 100 gb / month, and he's loaded.

You live in Belgium don't ya? I, a European, get unlimited bandwidth just like those 2ndworlders
    IntelligentPerson said:
    You can block their mac address
    OtherPerson said:
    Mac? But I'm on Windows.

Jan 4, 2013 4:56 PM

ideefixe said:

Our point is if you do have the necessary bandwidth to download anime then why wouldn't you? If you have slow speeds or a small limit then obviously you would prefer streaming like durpity fuckin' durp man...

Anyways I think the ones you are calling 'elitists' are simply pointing out the ridiculousness and hypocrisy of stanklems post. He's already tried to claim that he only likes high quality gore series, but now apparently downloading was always just a 'pain in the ass'... Well which is it man? You can't be a lover of high quality and yet only choose to watch low quality streams at the same time.

Just another whiff of bullshit coming from stanklem's direction imo.
    Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 4, 2013 6:00 PM

rederoin said:
    onedaysnotice said:

Downloading 1080P of tv rips is pointless.

I don't O.o. The only 1080p I download are the BDrips from Bakabt.

Jan 4, 2013 6:42 PM

Why does anyone download, is it too complicated for your computer to handle downloading and watching at the same time. all streaming is downloading and watching. rather than just downloading. I get 2.5 - 4 mbs and it never lags. I've done things like stream anime and watch twitch at the same time with no lag. even 1080p twtich usaully doesn't lag, and thats with ultra ghetto internet...

Jan 4, 2013 6:50 PM
    Mow123 said:
    Why does anyone download, is it too complicated for your computer to handle downloading and watching at the same time. all streaming is downloading and watching. rather than just downloading. I get 2.5 - 4 mbs and it never lags. I've done things like stream anime and watch twitch at the same time with no lag. even 1080p twtich usaully doesn't lag, and thats with ultra ghetto internet...
    I download, and I have access to hd streams other than crunchyroll so I really don't care to be quite honest.

Jan 4, 2013 6:52 PM
    RandomPerson3 said:
    ideefixe said:

You live in Belgium don't ya? I, a European, get unlimited bandwidth just like those 2ndworlders

LOL. In Australia. Yes, we have terrible internet plans here (relatively terrible internet full stop). I should change to a more bodgy but cheaper ISP, but I think I'm still in contract :(

Jan 4, 2013 7:13 PM

Torrent FTW!

Jan 4, 2013 7:25 PM

GianPacayra said:
    Torrent FTW!

Your avatar FTW!

Jan 4, 2013 7:49 PM

well at least where I live, downloading isn't nearly as much as an issue as uploading is. If anything it's the ridiculously limited uploading we get that prevents me from doing much during the day.

As for torrenting, It is always nice to have a 780p or better version on hand in case you want to crop out a picture or something for a signature or avatar or make a gif(that is if you don't plan on ever watching the series again).

Jan 4, 2013 7:51 PM
    I

I do own Fruits Basket for some reason though.

Jun 23, 2016 6:06 PM
    I stream anime whenever I don't want to torrent it. I torrent anime whenever I don't want to stream it.

Sep 2, 2016 5:38 AM

Download. I avoid streaming at all costs, because:

-99% of all streaming sites have shit quality and/or watermarks
    -I can't use my own player
    -My internet is a bit wonky
    -I'm a data hoarder (basically I like to download stuff just for the sake of downloading it)

Pages (2) « 1 [2]