Forum Settings
Forums

Practical anime lovers that don't rewatch anime, do you torrent/download or buy DVD/Bluray? Why?

New
Jan 4, 2013 1:52 AM
Jul 2012
I honestly don't get why people people torrent/download and/or buy DVD/Bluray anime.

If you're here, I'm assuming you're a "practical" person who don't do things without a meaningful purpose. Someone who weigh the costs and benefits before taking action. Someone like me. Also, someone who don't rewatch anime.

So as you can see already...

For the torrent/download path, you have to waste a lot of bandwidth and time to download those "ZOMG 1080p/780p" anime. A practical person would say, "Downloading wastes time and bandwidth so I'm just gonna go stream on a semi-high-quality site or something."

For the buying DVD/Bluray path, you have to use your own money and, being the practical person you are, feel that the boxes that the anime discs come in are just wastes of space. This practical person would then say, "Buying DVD/Bluray for anime is so costly and the quality doesn't seem to be that much better to me. I could just go watch it for free on a semi-high-quality streaming site. Plus, I have to drive or wait for the discs to arrive if I were to buy them anyway."

I don't see how a practical anime lover who don't rewatch anime would ever want to have such super-duper high-quality anime through torrenting/downloading and/or buying DVD's/Bluray's. Don't the lines just get a little bit sharper? And the sound a little bit sharper and surroundisher? That's nothing to waste 4 hours and gigabytes of bandwidth torrenting/downloading or 40 to 50 USD not including gas money or shipping costs.

If you proclaim to be "practical," yet you torrent/download and/or buy DVD/Bluray anime, explain your thinking process.
stanklem28Jan 4, 2013 10:04 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 4, 2013 1:57 AM
Dec 2012
Beggars can't be choosers.

I stream if possible. I do watch some obscure stuff sometimes and the mirrors are usually dead. If that's the case, I'll make an exception and download.

gtfo 1080p
This community is terrible.
Jan 4, 2013 2:26 AM

Sep 2012
Watch 1 episode of anime on stream. If I like it, I'll download either 720p or 1080p version. It doesn't take up too much time thankfully xD However, I'm using this method only from about recently. Until then, I was coping with the streaming. (slow speeds, broken mirrors ...)
Jan 4, 2013 2:27 AM

Jan 2012
strong poverty anime viewing thread of peace..

Unlimited bandwidth practical viewer checking in...

Even if your b/w is limited, who wouldn't want to watch a higher quality show if it's an option? Would you rather watch your favorite show/movie/anime in VHS or Blu-Ray format? The whole fucking point of watching an 'ANIMATED' show is to make your eyeballs orgasm.

Not to mention you can save all your shit and view it at any time and any where when dat dere nostalgia hits you hard when you're a grown fuck.

As for buying physical disc. Why the fuck would you care what people spend their money on? It's their money and happiness. I'm sure you've bought shit that other people would find wasteful as well.

Lastly, if you're running on limited bandwidth or you're living in poverty, then streaming would be your best option.
Jan 4, 2013 2:41 AM

Oct 2012
What do you mean by "practical"? What's so impractical about re-watching your favorite movies or late night episode re-runs of the Family Guy?
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 4, 2013 2:48 AM

Oct 2012
katsucats said:
What do you mean by "practical"? What's so impractical about re-watching your favorite movies?

This, I'm pretty practical and I buy my favorite anime on Blu-Ray/DVD, the enjoyment I get out of rewatching them and having is worth it.

Jan 4, 2013 3:02 AM
May 2010
There are obvious practical advantages to downloading. The simplest one I can think of is if you have periods without access to the internet and still want to watch anime. Bus trips/train trips/internet goes down for some reason.

Sometimes, I am outside of my wireless range when I want to watch anime on my bed, so to watch anime it needs to be downloaded..

Just the simplest thing I can think of.
Worships Asparagus.
Jan 4, 2013 3:14 AM

Sep 2012
download, because if I am going to watch an anime once, it's going to be in clear 720p
Jan 4, 2013 3:42 AM

May 2012
I really don't care if it's 240p or 1080p.
Jan 4, 2013 3:44 AM
Jul 2010
Download, of course. Having unlimited bandwidth and more than enough space, it's always better to watch things in a good quality. That's an advantages I'll never discard.
Also, being able to watch anime when you have no Internet is priceless. I hate wasting time, so I stuff my anime in each and every mobile device I have for when I eventually come into a boring situation in a waiting room or something.

About the time issue... Well, I'm gonna be honest here, watching a stream can be way more troublesome in that regard. Crappy load times keep you staring at the stupid screen, while with downloads you just start it and go do something else, while knowing the thing will be clean, fast and HQ when you watch it.

As a side note, I do rewatch things sometimes, and for those I keep a 1080p. Mostly my 10s and some 9s, even if I'm not exactly planning on rewatching them. Everything else is downloaded in 720p (even when I'm watching BD) and disposed of afterwards to keep space.
Jan 4, 2013 3:48 AM

Sep 2012
Download, it's really not that long of a wait. you could even burn it and sell it....well if there's actually people that is stupid enough to buy it.
tuturu~!! (≧◡≦)
Jan 4, 2013 4:03 AM

Sep 2011
I download everything because I can't be bothered to 1) pay for stuff and 2) watch stuff in non 720p+. I don't really have to watch how much I'm downloading because America has unlimited bandwidth. Plus it's always nice to share shows with people you know in good quality.
^_^
Jan 4, 2013 4:05 AM

Sep 2012
id Have to Say Stream, There are sum Good low prices on DVD, My friend bought the WHOLE series of Yu Yu Hakusho for $15 online, Not bootleg either , but for me Stream When ever i can, If They just had a anime Version of netflix where u pay monthly & they have a large enough library of anime subbed & dubbed That would be perfect, but That's a Pipe Dream
Jan 4, 2013 4:09 AM

Feb 2012
Ponpokopii said:
Download, it's really not that long of a wait. you could even burn it and sell it....well if there's actually people that is stupid enough to buy it.

Yeah right, why do people buy the dvds/blu rays? Its not as if it would harm the industry or anything if no one buys them. //sarcasm out.
Jan 4, 2013 4:20 AM

Jun 2008
stanklem28 said:
I honestly don't get why people people torrent/download and/or buy DVD/Bluray anime.

If you're here, I'm assuming you're a "practical" person who don't do things without a meaningful purpose. Someone who weigh the costs and benefits before taking action. Someone like me. Also, someone who don't rewatch anime.

So as you can see already...

For the torrent/download path, you have to waste a lot of bandwidth and time to download those "ZOMG 1080p/780p" anime. A practical person would say, "Downloading wastes time and bandwidth so I'm just gonna go stream on a semi-high-quality site or something."

For the buying DVD/Bluray path, you have to use your own money and, being the practical person you are, feel that the boxes that the anime discs come in are just wastes of space. This practical person would then say, "Buying DVD/Bluray for anime is so costly and the quality doesn't seem to be that much better to me. I could just go watch it for free on a semi-high-quality streaming site. Plus, I have to drive or wait for the discs to arrive if I were to buy them anyway."

I don't see how a practical anime lover who don't rewatch anime would ever want to have such super-duper high-quality anime through torrenting/downloading and/or buying DVD's/Bluray's. Don't the lines just get a little bit sharper? And the sound a little bit sharper and surroundisher? That's nothing to waste 4 hours and gigabytes of bandwidth torrenting/downloading or 40 to 50 USD not including gas money or shipping costs.

If you proclaim to be "practical," yet you torrent/download and/or buy DVD/Bluray anime, explain your thinking process.

Waste bandwidth? Who gives a fuck. I don't live in a third wold country that has providers that put limitations on how much i can download(looking at you US and Canada).
I can waste bandwidth 24/7 just for the hell of it. To parachrase the Star Wars emperor. UNLIMITED POWER BANDWIDTH!!
Time is no wasted ether. Usually when you download stuff you download them when you do something else so you can have it ready when it's the time you want it but even if i want to see an episode immediately it can be downloaded in very few minutes. Before i even manage to check what new threads have been made on Mal my episode is ready.
If i download a whole series there isn't a problem ether because i actually know how to use my torrent client and put priority on which episodes to download first.
Now downloading and keeping are two different things. Some download and then delete and some keep them. Well if you want to keep them then yes you would need to pay for hard disk space but obviously if you want them is because you are interested in seeing them again and you don't want to be left with nothing if you are left with no internet.
Also 720P isn't super duper quality. It's quite normal. If you still live in the 20th century and you still have your CRT screen is your problem. But 480p and 360p looks like shit in any TV or screen bought in the current era. And watching shit isn't something i enjoy.

As about buying. Well i have bought some series but in no time did i though that buying them was practical. I payed my ass off(no amine in the stores here) and they don't even have any use than sitting on the shelf but i knew that from the start. I bought them deliberately to support that series. That's why i only bought the few series i love mostly directly from Japan and nothing more.
I simply wanted to give a message of "yeah make more of these and i'll buy" knowing very well that am wasting my money.
Still though it's kind of nice having the little package and seeing it there.
MonadJan 4, 2013 5:04 AM
Jan 4, 2013 4:23 AM

Nov 2011
Oh look, yet another pointless thread.

stanklem28 said:
I honestly don't get why people people torrent/download

Higher quality, genius. Enjoy your 360P streams if CR does not have the anime you want to watch.

Watching anime has the benefit of enjoyment, nothing more. If anything, rewatching anime has less of a risk.

For the torrent/download path, you have to waste a lot of bandwidth

What is unlimited bandwidth?

and time to download those "ZOMG 1080p/780p" anime.

What is a backlog?

A practical person would say, "Downloading wastes time and bandwidth so I'm just gonna go stream on a semi-high-quality site or something."

No, a person who doesn't know what a backlog is would say that. It doesen't waste time at all.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jan 4, 2013 4:27 AM

Sep 2012
RyuujiXmemories said:
Ponpokopii said:

Yeah right, why do people buy the dvds/blu rays? Its not as if it would harm the industry or anything if no one buys them. //sarcasm out.

No, what i meant is if there's actually people who would buy the dvd's that i just downloaded and burned, i have nothing against the dvds/blu ray buyers.
tuturu~!! (≧◡≦)
Jan 4, 2013 4:31 AM

Jun 2008
Ponpokopii said:
RyuujiXmemories said:
Ponpokopii said:

No, what i meant is if there's actually people who would buy the dvd's that i just downloaded and burned, i have nothing against the dvds/blu ray buyers.

I like piracy but not the ones trying to make profit out of it. Sites that make you pay to download pirated stuff put by users and people selling pirated disk should go to hell.
Jan 4, 2013 4:42 AM

May 2009
Practical??? anime lover?! You're kidding.

I think what you mean is casual anime watcher.

An anime lover doesn't think like you do. You're a cookie cutter casual anime watcher.
Jan 4, 2013 4:51 AM

Dec 2010
I could be extremely well off and buy all the anime I watch. Or I could be dirt poor and trying to do everything I can to minimize cost of living.

As it turns out, I find torrenting extremely efficient in the latter. So, I torrent and download.
Jan 4, 2013 5:01 AM

Feb 2012
I'm 'practical' in the sense that - as a motion graphics artist/video editor - I render overnight a lot, therefore, the practical option for downloading 720p/1080p is to simply download it overnight, or while I'm watching another series I've downloaded.

Having said that, I'm not practical in the sense that I do in fact buy my favourites on Blu-ray/DVD and I most certainly do rewatch shows.
Jan 4, 2013 5:23 AM

Sep 2012
Monad said:
Ponpokopii said:
RyuujiXmemories said:
Ponpokopii said:

I like piracy but not the ones trying to make profit out of it. Sites that make you pay to download pirated stuff put by users and people selling pirated disk should go to hell.

The sad part is there's actually people who falls for those sites, well im not that serious at selling it anyways though if someone come at me and buy it then i would gladly sell it since "selling it, buying or watching', it's still piracy. But yeah we love piracy....but it's bad.
tuturu~!! (≧◡≦)
Jan 4, 2013 5:37 AM

Feb 2010
stanklem28 said:

Wastes bandwidth? it's not a waste if you are doing nothing else with it. Most of times i just download something while watching something else.
Jan 4, 2013 5:43 AM

Nov 2012
Shrabster said:
katsucats said:
What do you mean by "practical"? What's so impractical about re-watching your favorite movies?

This, I'm pretty practical and I buy my favorite anime on Blu-Ray/DVD, the enjoyment I get out of rewatching them and having is worth it.

Second both of these statements. I wouldn't buy my favorite shows if I didn't want to rewatch them. Then they wouldn't be called my favorite shows anymore.
Jan 4, 2013 5:49 AM

May 2010
stream but if I like the anime or there isnt an existing good player online i get the torrent
Jan 4, 2013 6:00 AM

Dec 2012

People's faces when they realize "High Definition" animation is nothing more than high saturation and gamma to make the colors seems stronger.

Anyway, I stream most of the time. I only download if I am planning to watch it on my iPad. There's some series I want to buy DVD's for even if it's just to collect them and display them, but box sets cost the same as a 1/8th scale figure, and I usually end up buying the latter.
Jan 4, 2013 6:50 AM

Feb 2012
First of all less than 5% of stuff is worth paying for and half of that isn't even available via legal means. Secondly most legal streams are crap aimed at nerds who prioritise fapping to their shows and they're not even good for that due to being censored.
Jan 4, 2013 6:53 AM

Mar 2012
TsukikageRan said:
Practical??? anime lover?! You're kidding.

I think what you mean is casual anime watcher.

An anime lover doesn't think like you do. You're a cookie cutter casual anime watcher.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to be the one to point this out.

I stream anime.
If I like it enough, and it's been licensed, I'll buy it because I'll more than likely be rewatching it.
I'm still not a practical person. I collect records and shit, for god's sake.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Jan 4, 2013 6:54 AM

Nov 2012
mecharobot said:
First of all less than 5% of stuff is worth paying for and half of that isn't even available via legal means. Secondly most legal streams are crap aimed at nerds who prioritise fapping to their shows and they're not even good for that due to being censored.

Don't know where you live so I can't know for sure, but amazon.com for example delivers anime worldwide. So saying they're not available threw legal means is bullsh*t. You simply don't want to give your precious money to the industry because you're greedy, so you call people who do support the industry nerds to make yourself feel better.
Jan 4, 2013 7:04 AM

Feb 2012
RandomPerson3 said:
Don't know where you live so I can't know for sure, but amazon.com for example delivers anime worldwide. So saying they're not available threw legal means is bullsh*t. You simply don't want to give your precious money to the industry because you're greedy, so you call people who do support the industry nerds to make yourself feel better.

Nope. It just means anime is crap and I do entitle myself to be selfish enough to demand it at least has subs in the languages I know and preferably not be region locked (although over half of my stuff is). I love collecting anime and games. What can I say man? I just have standards. But you're right that I still have some stuff missing, but I'll get there eventually.
Jan 4, 2013 7:30 AM

Jun 2010
I download the anime per episodes using IDM.. so it's not HD or something
(only 50 mb per ep) but at least it's still ok for my eyes
I've never rewatched whole eps of an anime before, but usually I rewatched some scene that I like

MyReminiscenceJan 4, 2013 7:43 AM
Jan 4, 2013 7:32 AM

Aug 2008
You know you can be both 'practical' and re-watch? One has nothing to do with another. And I think we already had this talk couple of times...
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jan 4, 2013 7:33 AM

Nov 2012
mecharobot said:

Nope. It just means anime is crap and I do entitle myself to be selfish enough to demand it at least has subs in the languages I know and preferably not be region locked (although over half of my stuff is). I love collecting anime and games. What can I say man? I just have standards. But you're right that I still have some stuff missing, but I'll get there eventually.

Yeah I get what you're saying. Regionblocking sucks, why do they even do that anymore?
Jan 4, 2013 7:34 AM

Dec 2011
You make it sound like downloading a series is some sort of difficult task... Get real dude. You click a button and the entire series is yours in 8-10bit within the hour. That means you can acquire a specific episode within 1-2 minutes]. Most people's internet service at least has high download speeds these days, and if it you don't well too bad for you because you probably let yourself get ripped off.

Man stanklem no wonder you are having a hard time enjoying anime, you're watching it in shit quality streams LOL! Personally I've always found streaming anime to be 100x more of a pain in the ass. Bad quality and sometimes the streams take time to load right in the middle of the anime even with 1 mb+ speeds. Streams are dirty and make me feel like taking a fucking shower.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2013 7:36 AM

Nov 2008
Even if I didn't intend to rewatch anything, I would still use torrents for the higher quality. I have unlimited bandwidth. They're also pretty easy to find.

Jan 4, 2013 7:42 AM

Aug 2012
This thread confuses me. It's not like I get charged for using up bandwith (past a max cap I can't break every month). May as well use it up for torrenting.
Jan 4, 2013 7:47 AM

Oct 2012
I don't download and I'll stick to my pleb ways of watching anime.
Doesn't mean I'm practical, just means I'm too impatient to wait hours upon hours for a single episode to finish downloading on bad Internet speeds.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 4, 2013 8:54 AM

Dec 2012
I usually stream on ANN, which pays Hulu for the anime, and Hulu pays the anime companies, so I guess you could say that that is SOMEWHAT supporting the anime industry. But if it's a series I really like I'll buy the whole set on Blu-Ray. (Namely FMA:B, looks amazing on Blu-Ray)

But I guess I'm not the most practical person, my Xbox PS3 and Wii are gathering dust while my twenty-year-old SNES gets played daily.
CNileJan 4, 2013 9:11 AM
"Families is where our nation finds hope, where wings take dream!"

- George W. Bush
Jan 4, 2013 9:10 AM

Apr 2011
hmm..In the poll, I chose the first one..
I torrent/download anime.. after I completed it, I re-watch it again.. It's nice to re-watch anime.. hehehe..xDD
I started torrent/download anime when I have my own laptop..Now, I'm having problems because my hard disk is almost full now.. and 2013 just started.. new anime series/movies/OVA's are flowing.. and I torrent/download Adventure Time too..
Jan 4, 2013 9:21 AM

Aug 2011
Torrenting is the way to go, the benefit of files is just too good to miss, 0 loading times and no stupid ads, i can seek, skip and resize whenever i like

Not to mention i can sync them onto my phone during holidays
kek
Jan 4, 2013 9:33 AM

Oct 2010
I torrent completed series and sometimes ongoing ones, but that's rarely. The higher quality visuals/sounds are totally worth it, especially when you're watching something such as Nekomonogatari, to give a recent example. Plus I travel/stay at my grandparents' quite often, so it's always nice to have a bunch of shows downloaded and not have to to rely on internet connection.
Jan 4, 2013 9:35 AM

Mar 2012
OP has many strange delusions.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 4, 2013 9:52 AM

Jun 2012
For someone who declares to love high quality animation and gory content, it blows my mind that you just posted such non-sense.

A) Torrenting/Blu-ray = higher animation quality. Being ripped off of TV broadcasts, reformatted, and downsized back into a streaming site means tons of loss in quality.

B) Most streaming sites don't update their anime after being uploaded for the first time, which is probably 4-5 hours after they are broadcast in Japan and subbed by their respective groups. This means that for gory anime that are heavily censored for TV broadcast lose tons of their gore content on streaming sites. The uncensored versions come out with the DVD/Blu-Ray releases, which make their way to local stores, which are bought by sub groups, subbed and put online. Some people take the courtesy to put them on youtube, but youtube also downsizes videos, which means loss in quality.

Sometimes I really wonder what you're thinking, Wikiboy.

To answer your question, I torrent series that I feel like are worth torrenting, and I torrent every movie I watch.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jan 4, 2013 10:05 AM
Jul 2012
I did mention that this thread is kind of reserved for non-rewatchers. Hey, I can't stop liars, and neither can I stop rewatchers from coming into this thread and commenting.

Being a practical person, one would argue that having slightly sharper lines and crisper sound in an anime is not worth the time or bandwidth or money.

Now, with two conditions considered; 1) one does not rewatch anime and 2) one sees that the benefits of streaming outweigh that of downloading/torrent and/or buying aniem DVD's/Blurays as being, the question then comes in.

Why would one torrent/download and/or buy DVD's/Bluray's of anime? Is it mental sickness, compulsion, or is there no reason? But if there is no reason, then one is not practical as one claims. It's like an Ouroboros question.
stanklem28Jan 4, 2013 10:12 AM
Jan 4, 2013 10:06 AM

Feb 2012
stanklem28 said:
I did mention that this thread is kind of reserved for non-rewatchers. Hey, I can't stop liars, and neither can I stop rewatchers from coming into this thread and commenting.

Why don't you want re-watchers though?
Jan 4, 2013 10:08 AM

Oct 2012
stanklem28 said:

I don't even see how re-watching anime is relevant to whether or not someone streams and/or torrents anime.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Jan 4, 2013 10:08 AM

Jun 2012
Slyr3do0n said:
stanklem28 said:

Because of the plot summaries on wikipedia.

Jan 4, 2013 10:13 AM
Jul 2012
Slyr3do0n said:
stanklem28 said:

Things would make too much sense if there were re-watchers. The question would be answered way too easily.

"Why you ask? Because I'll just load them up and rewatch them later." *insert trollface picture*
Jan 4, 2013 10:15 AM

Jun 2012
stanklem28 said:
Why would one torrent/download and/or buy DVD's/Bluray's of anime? Is it mental sickness, compulsion, or is there no reason? But if there is no reason, then one is not practical as one claims. It's like an Ouroboros question.
This is like that rec thread you started. You turn a blind eye to logical explanations and say some redundant and offensive shit that would be better kept in your simple mind. Wanting to have the highest quality version of something has no relevance with wanting to re-watch it. Deleting it off your hard drive is simple... And why are you ignoring what I said because "not a thread for re-watchers" bullshit. So typical of you, wikiboy.

Jan 4, 2013 10:16 AM

Aug 2012
I stream, always did; was thinking about trying to download tho (i wonder if the quality would be that better).
Just bought DvD once (not counting with a couple of DBZ VHS's), which was the ''Flying Castle'' or something, bought it today. If it was what i was thinking about it was supposed to be from 1986, this one looks more like a remake and im not even sure if it got the original japanese voices (probably dubbed in english) which would suck.

edit: i thought it was Laputa, but seems like it is Howl no Ugoku Shiro (i hate titles translated in my main language), that's ok since i wanted to watch this one as well. Still if it is dubbed i will trade it for something else lol.
pokecenterJan 4, 2013 10:19 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

12 by FanofAction »»
5 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

46 by Nemo_Niemand »»
6 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

22 by Ex-Aid »»
11 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 3 hours ago

33 by Hitagi__Furude »»
22 minutes ago

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

65 by Gator »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.