Forum Settings
Forums

Surprising gems of 2012 (don't suggest popular shows)

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Post New Reply
Jan 2, 2013 11:18 AM

Kamisama Hajimemashita - I usually don't like shoujo, but this one was really cute, the characters were all lovely.
Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne! - I honestly almost gave it an 8, but settled for 7 only because of the ending. It's an ecchi harem, yeah, but it's really funny, the characters weren't brainless and sometimes genuinelly made me go "aaaawn".

Edit: And since no one mentioned it yet, I feel obligated to say Sakamichi no Apollon. I don't know if it fits as "popular" so that's why I didn't mention it before, but it was easily one of the best shows of the year.
Modified by jiroutachi, Jan 2, 2013 11:45 AM

Jan 2, 2013 11:20 AM

ovoon7 said:
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun was really enjoyable, but it didn't end very well so I'm not sure if it's worth a mention.
Kaibutsu-kun is popular, though, and when I say popular, I mean more popular than Fate/Zero 2, Chuunibyou and Psycho-pass. In fact, I think that SAO, Another and Nisemonogatari are the only anime to beat it on popularity this year.

Anyway, to keep the thread on-topic, Moretsu Pirates had a suprisingly interesting setting with a good female lead in Marika. It's not for everyone, as it meanders at times and there isn't much in the way of actual piracy, but I say it's worth checking out at least.

Disclaimer: I have only watched Moretsu Pirates and Jinrui from this year's anime. They are both good, but Moretsu is less popular and Jinrui has benn mentioned anyway, which is why I went with the space pirates.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[

Jan 2, 2013 11:27 AM
yhunata said:
skudoops said:
SSC_Exin said:
Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita- It's satirical humour was definitely unique, I haven't seen it used in anime as much. The characters are used to their full potential (most of them) and they're all fairly interesting.

EDIT: Added stuff to say.

Pretty much this, I'd also like to give a mention to psycho pass, it really kicked it into high gear for the last few episodes and ended with me really wanting to know what would happen next!

Psycho-Pass is seriously popular though

Gonna edit later with my "surprising gem".

EDIT : Surprisingly enough, most of the shows I watched 2012 were pretty damn popular, so I guess I can't really contribute to this thread. Sorry. However, if I were to say an anime that came as a surprise, I would say it was Shinsekai Yori. I expected it to be pretty good from the synopsis I read, but I never expected I would like it enough to threaten Death Note and Code Geass (for me), which are my joint top favorites.

Ah really? I don't see too many talking about it. Well I'll mention JoJo then, but I didn't the first time because I remember the manga being pretty popular.

Jan 2, 2013 11:38 AM

SHINSEKAI YORI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!!11

Mine Fujiko to iu Onna was pretty good too.

IceBurn said:
The 1st 10 eps of Shinseaki Yori was good but after i thought about it it pretty lame imo. It's missing something and although the 1st time watching it was fantastic the 2nd time was very underwhelming. It's garbage.

You're garbage.

Jan 2, 2013 12:17 PM

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita by far.

Jan 2, 2013 12:35 PM

Pretty sure I've been saying this all year, but Chouyaku Hyakuninsshu: Uta Koi is the sleeper hit of 2012. Literally zero recognition on these forums, outside of myself. I would have expected fans of Chihayafuru to be interested in this show too since it deals with the 100 poets ... but guess not.
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor

Jan 2, 2013 1:05 PM

Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi.
Popularity: #1629
Probably the best "hidden gem" from this year. I pretty much knew I'd like it going in, though I was surprised at how few people watched it. I just loved the unorthodox art style and all of the stories it told were entertaining and sweet. It's just a great episodic, romance anime. I would have given it a score of nine but the ending felt a little weak.

Poyopoyo Kansatsu Nikki
Popularity: #1756
I know many people skip over the shows that are only a few minutes long but this one is so cute and funny. I highly enjoyed it. A must watch, especially if you own or like cats. All the goodness of Chi's Sweet Home without the annoying high-pitched voice. Poyopoyo is probably my all-time favorite 3-mintue anime.

Hakuouki Reimeiroku
Popularity #1587
Despite the first two seasons, which I haven't seen (though I have played the VN) being quite popular, this one isn't. It was very entertaining and had interesting characters, just an all around good action shoujo. Even my boyfriend found it interesting. He watched a lot of it over my shoulder while playing video games.

And even though I haven't finished it, I'd like to give a nod to Lupin the Third: Mine Fujiko to Iu Onna (Popularity: #1429). Very different and unusual, but so far, quite entertaining.
Modified by SunflowerDaisho, Jan 2, 2013 1:28 PM

Jan 2, 2013 1:08 PM

Girls und Pa... Oh wait...

Or NOT - World of Tanks: The Anime, when I watched PVs I thought "meh, it'll be just another no-plot, cute-girls-doing-cute-things" anime, but since it featured tanks - and I'm a WoT player - I gave it a shot.

And it turned out that it has a quite nice plot and girls not only do cute things - they do AWESOME things too (number of CMOAs per episode/match - some shounens don't get that many per arc).

This is coming from a person with "I'm not watching anything from current season, since it'll be crap anyway" attitude. Turns out that I can be wrong sometimes. What a shock.

Jan 2, 2013 2:12 PM

Waiting in the Summer was a little overshadowed in my opinion. Its kind of cutesy but the thing is the characters are actually unique in their own ways, the alien isn't out to kill the human race, and the plot is simple yet fulfilling, mixing in romance, comedy, and a little sci-fi very well. Its not the most spectacular thing I've seen, but let's face it, SOA has been hogging a lot of the limelight.

Jan 2, 2013 2:16 PM

itsvero said:

IceBurn said:
The 1st 10 eps of Shinseaki Yori was good but after i thought about it it pretty lame imo. It's missing something and although the 1st time watching it was fantastic the 2nd time was very underwhelming. It's garbage.

You're garbage.
Woh.....dont get your titties in a twist, just stating my irrelevant opinion.

Jan 2, 2013 2:38 PM
3 the same as most people

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita - best WTF of the year show, with every episode. But by the end you go, gees that was a world of fun.

Shinsekai Yori - the show that aims to be the most intelligent show of the year.

Girls Und Panzer - the most enjoyable show of the year.

For my own contribution I would add:
Sengoku Collection - another stupid concept show that surprisingly had several extremely good episodes in it.

Jan 2, 2013 2:39 PM

itsvero said:

IceBurn said:

You're garbage.

no, SSY is. Don't get them confused.

- http://rederoin.motionsforum.com -
Anime air dates, BD release dates and Amazon stalker estimates for Anime BDs.
My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link

Jan 2, 2013 2:53 PM

Listen to Me, Girls. I Am Your Father!

Jan 2, 2013 2:56 PM

Darkjolly said:
Listen to Me, Girls. I Am Your Father!
I like Papakiki. A good show about family. And Hina is cute.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.

Jan 2, 2013 3:04 PM

IceBurn said:

As long as you know it's irrelevant!

Jan 2, 2013 3:17 PM

toybox said:
Pretty sure I've been saying this all year, but Chouyaku Hyakuninsshu: Uta Koi is the sleeper hit of 2012.

Yeah, that's a good choice. I don't think it's as good as the two I mentioned, but it certainly is good, and far better than I expected it to be.

Jan 2, 2013 3:27 PM

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure, Shinsekai Yori, and Robotics;Notes are all good underrated (popularity-wise) shows. I would add Sakurasou no Pet no Kanojo but I think it's pretty popular.
A match made in heaven set the fires in hell

Jan 2, 2013 3:28 PM

itsvero said:
IceBurn said:

Wow some actually cares what other people think. If my post was irrelevant then why did you reply to it fool. You seem a bit slow so ill elaborate a bit more. ALL opinions(someone's perspective on something) are supposed to be irrelevant.....at least to particular person. Your letting someone's view on something you like get to you LOL.

Jan 2, 2013 3:33 PM

IceBurn said:
itsvero said:
IceBurn said:

Wow some actually cares what other people think.

What are you doing in this forum if you don't care what other people think?

Jan 2, 2013 3:34 PM
Kami-sama

tripmode1992 said:
Shinsekai Yori. I have no expectations in this show but this one's surprisingly good.

You kiddin .. right ?

Jan 2, 2013 3:39 PM

SetsukoHara said:
IceBurn said:
itsvero said:
IceBurn said:

Soooo you take other people opinions to heart? "Oh this guy doesnt like something i like, im hurt" LOL but seriously i didnt mean it like that, english is my 2nd language so the tone of my posts may be a little off.

Jan 2, 2013 3:42 PM

Shirokuma Café / Polar Bear Café.

I actually thought it'd be more popular than that :

Ranked: #1769

Popularity: #1097

Jan 2, 2013 3:44 PM

IceBurn said:
SetsukoHara said:
IceBurn said:
itsvero said:
IceBurn said:

Soooo you take other people opinions to heart? "Oh this guy doesnt like something i like, im hurt" LOL

And you never thought that maybe the post telling that you're garbage was just semi-serious?

Jan 2, 2013 3:47 PM

SetsukoHara said:
IceBurn said:
SetsukoHara said:
IceBurn said:
itsvero said:
IceBurn said:

Soooo you take other people opinions to heart? "Oh this guy doesnt like something i like, im hurt" LOL

And you never thought that maybe the post telling that you're garbage was just semi-serious?
If she was serious so what? Im supposed to care that some fool over the internet called me garbage......whut? Doesnt even have to be on the internet.

Jan 2, 2013 3:50 PM

IceBurn said:
If she was serious so what? Im supposed to care that some fool over the internet called me garbage......whut? Doesnt even have to be on the internet.

It's okay bb. Of course you don't have to care what some fool over the internet calls you!

Jan 2, 2013 3:50 PM

i know its highly rated but i never see anyone talking about
sakamichi no apollon.
maybe i just never saw.

Jan 2, 2013 4:04 PM

Gorim said:
Oda Nobuna no Yabou, surprising series in every way. It went completely unnoticed by large audience because of recent boom that has turned every Sengoku girl anime in to crap like Sengoku Musume, Hyakka Samurai Girls and whatever there were. Oda Nobuna is a series that balances very well between ecchi, surprisingly smooth and good animation, well known yet surprisingly intelligent story.

Don't forget the awesome music.

Jan 2, 2013 4:38 PM

Hyouge Mono ended in January, so technically it qualifies?

Jan 2, 2013 5:35 PM

Robotics;Notes and Shinsekai Yori for me.

Jan 2, 2013 5:35 PM

Keep the petty arguments to a minimum please.

For those who think shinsekai yori sucks, please provide reasons than just saying it so. Also be sure to not spoiler the plot.

Jan 2, 2013 5:38 PM

Tachii said:
For those who think shinsekai yori sucks, please provide reasons than just saying it so.

The ten year old boys will just say "OMFG YAOOOIII EWWWWW"

Jan 2, 2013 5:53 PM
NihonFalcom said:
Tachii said:
For those who think shinsekai yori sucks, please provide reasons than just saying it so.

meh it looks good to me even though i heard there was one yaoish scene but thats easy to get over

Jan 2, 2013 5:57 PM

Girls Und Panzer- I thought it was going to be some cliched fanservice moe show but it wasn't. It's cute girls being badass in tanks.

Jan 2, 2013 6:04 PM

MitsukiHimeka said:
Girls Und Panzer- I thought it was going to be some cliched fanservice moe show but it wasn't. It's cute girls being badass in tanks.

I keep hearing people say things along those lines, but I can't figure out if they're trying to pull a Boku no Pico on me or if they're serious.

I guess I'll give it a shot and see.

Jan 2, 2013 6:30 PM

AndyRayy said:
MitsukiHimeka said:

I keep hearing people say things along those lines, but I can't figure out if they're trying to pull a Boku no Pico on me or if they're serious.

I guess I'll give it a shot and see.

Believe me, we're serious.

The show is so popular now in Japan that the city that it's based on actually gain economic growth through tourist visiting.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Jan 2, 2013 7:06 PM
Shinsekai Yori and Robotics;Notes

Jan 2, 2013 7:12 PM

Shinsekai Yori it gets heat because of the infamous episode 8. But its still a good anime and people who dropped it just for that episode are missing out because its gotten better.

Jan 2, 2013 7:18 PM

eldest said:
i know its highly rated but i never see anyone talking about
sakamichi no apollon.
maybe i just never saw.

I think this is more over the lines of it was good, but it didn't have that lasting impression that makes an anime so good we just can't help but talk about it or think about it even when it's finished.

I really like it, but it didn't put a real lasting impression on me to even really think about it now versus other anime . That's just me though.
Modified by Ragix, Jan 2, 2013 8:19 PM
Touch me, you filthy casual~

Jan 2, 2013 7:42 PM

I suppose episode 8 is where this yaoi this happens?

Not sure if I'm curious enough to find out. Well I only watch completed anime anyways.

Jan 2, 2013 7:44 PM

I hear theres a nasty kissing scene in episode 8

Jan 2, 2013 8:01 PM

Space Brothers.All day,everyday,don't even have to say {it}.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.

Jan 2, 2013 8:03 PM

renders said:
is Zetsuen no Tempest popular?
I hope, but i get the feeling people are going to be shallow and complain that its putting more of an emphasis on witty mind games and plot twists rather than fighting pointless flashy fights.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 2, 2013 8:15 PM

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
renders said:
I hope, but i get the feeling people are going to be shallow and complain that its putting more of an emphasis on witty mind games and plot twists rather than fighting pointless flashy fights.

I have a bad feeling about the ending since I saw it's gonna be 22 episodes and since the manga is on-going they might make a bad filler-ish ending

Jan 2, 2013 8:21 PM

For me, I would say Sukitte Iinayo. 0.0
"Aiming for the mark takes precision, balance, and patience."

....Screw that, let's shoot the damn thing!

Jan 2, 2013 11:10 PM

Shuhan said:
I hear theres a nasty kissing scene in episode 8

It lasted a grand total of 7 seconds and such a scene was never seen again. They even made up for it with about a minute of yuri foreplay.

Jan 3, 2013 3:23 AM

renders said:

Thank God, it is not.

Jan 4, 2013 10:39 AM

SetsukoHara said:
renders said:

Thank God, it is not.
Well, it's quite hard to gauge the popularity of the fall shows as the shows for that season that people were hyping like Little Busters, Robotics;Notes (though I half-expected that due to not having Okarin) and Code:Breaker didn't catch on nearly as well as expected, meaning things like Sakurasou and Zetsuen no Tempest ultimately turned out to be more popular than them.

For comparison Little Busters has ~18,000 watching, Psycho-Pass has ~27,000, while Tempest and Sakurasou are around ~24,000.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[

Jan 4, 2013 11:11 AM

Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita was really great.

Jan 4, 2013 11:17 AM

wot123 said:
NihonFalcom said:
Tachii said:

meh it looks good to me even though i heard there was one yaoish scene but thats easy to get over

and it's part of the story :) (think people are forgetting it's a completely new society) if people can't look past that then imo this show is to difficult for their minds to comprehend)

well kokoro connect is popular but it was a good show non the less ^_^

Jan 4, 2013 3:24 PM
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Shinsekai Yori, Zetsuen no Tempest, and Accel World all turned out to be surprisingly good in my opinion.

But they're all overshadowed by the greatest of anime, INFERNO COP.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »