Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 1, 2013 11:47 AM

Jan 2009
Edit: Apparently I created this topic based on the wrong episode, and it won't let me delete it. Woopsie.
ZewerrJan 1, 2013 10:23 PM
Mar 10, 2015 10:05 PM

Aug 2013
So much for those "legendary" knights.
Jul 11, 2015 3:12 AM

Jul 2013
"Why don't we have this fight some other time. There's still three more episodes to go"

And why couldn't you just eat the carrots raw. More healthier that way.
Aug 26, 2016 12:49 PM

Mar 2014
^ now that's funny lol!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 22, 2019 8:57 PM

Aug 2015
I think this started taking itself a bit too seriously after episode 20

The Jurai Power and the evil emperor is reminding me a bit too much of Star Wars
May 26, 2020 4:00 PM
May 2020
It was interesting, but I am disappointed that Grandpa is suppose to be the "rightful king" and that the current king just waltz over to attack him. You think he would bring an army and have more complex spells.
Oct 27, 2021 11:03 AM

Nov 2017
Oh no! Kagato kidnapped the princess! Like, literally!

This anime sure is starting to go out with the few episodes it has left isn't it?~

&++ nice symbolism with the rain making the statue of Yosho cry
Apr 27, 2023 6:07 PM
Dec 2020
glassknuckles said:
I think this started taking itself a bit too seriously after episode 20

The Jurai Power and the evil emperor is reminding me a bit too much of Star Wars
I mean, for a comedic show, I actually found that the serious aspects of the series are pretty well-orchestrated and carried off well without risking mood whiplash. Between this and the other more grounded episodes (Nagi kidnaps Tenchi, the flashback to the death of Tenchi's mother, and the whole outer space fugitives arc) Tenchi Universe has actually been a pretty darn engaging space opera when it sets its mind to it. I think the real problem here was the fight scene straining against the show's limited budget - especially if you compare it to the far more dynamic and experimental Kagato vs. Yosho and Ryoko (who both kick far far more ass then they do here) fighting in the original OVA - but the Universe directors do a reasonably good job of mitigating this with interesting directorial and editing choices.

Meanwhile the show as a whole is getting awfully reminiscent of Star Wars, but you have to remember this is still 5-10 years before the prequel trilogy. The flashback to the fight where Yosho sends Kagato to (space?) hell felt more like Anakin vs Obi-Wan on Mustaphar than anything from the original trilogy, but that and most of the other attendant Star Wars lore about the Force, the Emperor and the backstory hadn't really been pencilled in yet. Besides George Lucas took pretty liberal inspiriation from classic Japanese Kurosawa jidaigeki films (in particular Seven Samurai and The Hidden Fortress) so it's more like they share the same source of inspiration rather than being ripoffs. Yosho's lightsaber AHEM "TENCHI SWORD" is pushing it a bit though. At least Kagato has a darksaber before the Mandalorians...

Anyway it's all hotting up now. Seeing Ryoko drop everything to help out Yosho was pretty striking. Hopefully the stage is set for a really moving next episode with her and Tenchi...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! Episode 9 Discussion

Artlieis - Aug 26, 2014

7 by Seabury »»
Jul 2, 2023 11:33 PM

» Do watch by release date

Mustytaco29 - May 31, 2023

4 by Salty-GB »»
May 31, 2023 5:59 AM

Poll: » Tenchi Universe Episode 26 Discussion

greenmarty - May 29, 2011

10 by nomad8 »»
Apr 30, 2023 11:13 PM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! Episode 25 Discussion

Artlieis - Oct 2, 2014

6 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 30, 2023 6:03 PM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! Episode 24 Discussion

Artlieis - Sep 25, 2014

7 by Ilfracombe »»
Apr 29, 2023 5:29 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.