Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Monogatari Series: First Season
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 31, 2012 6:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Oh, she's not human anymore!

Holy hell this episode, Hanekawa attacks!!! Ahh, that must of really hurt. Dat blood. Wow..Araragi-kun. Also, nice to see Shinobu again as well.

Overall, 8/10 for this. It was brilliant.
Stark700Dec 31, 2012 7:02 AM
Dec 31, 2012 6:58 AM

Aug 2011
overall a pretty good watch 8.5/10
bakemonogatari is still yet to be topped
TL & founder of Refrain Subs.
Dec 31, 2012 7:03 AM

Sep 2010
Was too busy reading Saya's route in Lb! that I completely forgot this was airing. Managed to catch the last episode though, and from what I saw it seemed pretty good. ED song wasn't bad. I'll watch the whole thing subbed when it comes out.
Dec 31, 2012 7:03 AM
Jan 2011
Zenmonogatari 2013, not sure if Fall, couldn't red the kanji so fast^^

Edit: Ah its the Kanji for Year, right?

http://blog-imgs-51.fc2.com/y/a/r/yaraon/1356965711782.jpg
Dec 31, 2012 7:06 AM

Jan 2011
That was quite a ride and I enjoyed every second of it. Reserving officially scoring until subs but for now 9/10

Shinobu saving the day was freaking sick and that OST was outstanding throughout the whole show.
[center]
Dec 31, 2012 7:09 AM
Dec 31, 2012 7:15 AM
Dec 2012
Nice. So impressive as Hyouka. To me, it's like a supernatural version of Hyouka.
Dec 31, 2012 7:24 AM

Jul 2010
Certainly was a nice way to ring in the New Years.

Man, I don't care if you can regenerate...getting sliced in half will hurt like a royal bitch.
Dec 31, 2012 8:46 AM

Dec 2011
mugimugi said:
More like, the awful wait for the BDs =(

This^ im gonna try and hold out for the BD's lol, gonna be tough...
Dec 31, 2012 11:32 AM

Nov 2008

キタアアアアアアア-!!!

That was so great! I love the way all the elements of the story are connecting^^
Dec 31, 2012 11:05 PM

Jul 2010
Wait what.I don't understand something.It says Airing Date: 31 Dec.So why is it already finished? like 4 episodes on one day or what?.
Jan 1, 2013 4:48 AM

Sep 2012
iLostReason said:
Wait what.I don't understand something.It says Airing Date: 31 Dec.So why is it already finished? like 4 episodes on one day or what?.
I suggest you to check or search the News Discussion Board in MAL once in a while:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=528818
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Jan 1, 2013 5:09 AM
Jan 2013
Does this mean the other characters will get their side stories as seperate series too?
Jan 1, 2013 8:43 AM

Jul 2010
symbv said:
iLostReason said:
I suggest you to check or search the News Discussion Board in MAL once in a while:
http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=528818

Ah i see now.I wonder why i didnt notice it before, since i was looking at this thread many times.I guess i was too excited seeing simple ''To Be Aired on Dec 31'' that i didnt care much what is wrote there.Well, anyway thanks ^^ i learnt my lesson to read everything till end before asking.
Jan 1, 2013 11:03 AM

Feb 2011
saw only the raw, but it was hilarious when araragi regenerated the lower body with also the clothes, that's how regeneration is meant to be xD

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Jan 1, 2013 11:36 AM

Feb 2011
i did read kizu, i just found it hilarious anyway :P

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Jan 2, 2013 9:57 AM

Aug 2012
One of the top 2 TV anime in my heart in 2012!

10/10
Nowhere,everywhere.

Jan 2, 2013 1:23 PM

Apr 2011
It feels so pretentious and shallow, yet why did I enjoy it?
Jan 2, 2013 6:19 PM

Jul 2012
doesn't it feel like they kind of retconned it a little bit since bakemono?
like in bakemono, they were out in the street when shinobu teleports out of nowhere to bite hanakawa.
also, i thought shinobu stopped talking since the end of kizu all the way until nise where she decided to let past transgressions be and move on
Jan 3, 2013 5:35 PM

Sep 2008
wow, amazing, and i was even more impresed by the short scenes of koyomi vamp thet appeared in the first ep
"i wont fall in love you" i think sahara-san would be the happier woman in the world if she heard arararararagi-san said that to hanekawa

and when the sword was gone, i kinda supcted he was going to do that, specially because he wasnt moving but..it actually surprised me when it happened, since i dont really remember the details of the original version
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Jan 3, 2013 5:56 PM

Jan 2012
Monogatari never cease so amaze me. Nisio Isin is too good.
The song "Kimi no shiranai monogatari" now feels like it's Hanekawa's feelings
Jan 3, 2013 6:08 PM

Aug 2011
That was very decent. I liked it better than Bake AND Nise. What's Nekomonogatari Shiro about?
Jan 3, 2013 6:10 PM
Aug 2012
VioLink said:
That was quite a ride and I enjoyed every second of it. Reserving officially scoring until subs but for now 9/10

Shinobu saving the day was freaking sick and that OST was outstanding throughout the whole show.

Damm shaft take my money......
The monogatari series never fail to impress me
Ill better wait for BD for monogatari second season
and Kizumonogatari even if its 2015!!!!!!!!!!!! or late 2014 -------____------
Jan 3, 2013 6:10 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Poor cat.
Jan 3, 2013 6:29 PM

May 2011
Can't wait for the second season.
Jan 3, 2013 7:06 PM

Feb 2012
mugimugi said:
itsvero said:
That was very decent. I liked it better than Bake AND Nise. What's Nekomonogatari Shiro about?

Story takes place after Nise. Hanekawa is the narrator and encounters yet another problem which she has to solve on "her own" this time. The novel is probably the second best. Or at least in the top 3 with Kizu and Kabuki.
Do you know the chronological order for all the novels after that?
Jan 3, 2013 7:21 PM

Jun 2008
So I still don't get it. At one part he says he really loves Hanekawa and then goes on about how he doesn't. Whats the deal? It really seemed like he does love her so why is he saying he doesn't?
Jan 3, 2013 7:24 PM

Dec 2009
Getting to understand Hanekawa better as a person and human being (who she really is) = awesome!
Loved it! Just an amazing series, wish I could read the novels though...
Jan 3, 2013 7:26 PM

May 2010
7/10 wasnt as good as i hoped.
Jan 3, 2013 7:31 PM
Oct 2010
FUCKKKKKKKKKK the preview at the end. SHAFT you teasing bastards.

wow so bakemono begins right after this? arararararagi cant have downtime lol
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Jan 3, 2013 7:40 PM

May 2011
This is the first anime to legitimately give me goosebumps. Wow.
Just, wow.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Jan 3, 2013 7:43 PM

Jan 2011
When, oh when, is Kizu coming? I really want to see Shinobu as she was in all her glory....

As usual this was a superb show. And that teaser at the end...
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jan 3, 2013 7:49 PM
Feb 2012
EcchiEcho said:
So I still don't get it. At one part he says he really loves Hanekawa and then goes on about how he doesn't. Whats the deal? It really seemed like he does love her so why is he saying he doesn't?

He loved the Hanekawa that was her created persona. While the persona is still a part of who she is and that part he did love, when he found out more about her he no longer loved her the way he did. So he doesn't see it as having fallen in love with Hanekawa because he didn't actual know her.

So Ultimately he fell in love with someone, she wasn't who he thought she was and now he's got a broken heart over it. I suppose that means Hitagi picked him up on the rebound.
Jan 3, 2013 8:01 PM
Apr 2011
Ragingpie said:
EcchiEcho said:

He loved the Hanekawa that was her created persona. While the persona is still a part of who she is and that part he did love, when he found out more about her he no longer loved her the way he did. So he doesn't see it as having fallen in love with Hanekawa because he didn't actual know her.

So Ultimately he fell in love with someone, she wasn't who he thought she was and now he's got a broken heart over it. I suppose that means Hitagi picked him up on the rebound.

Wow, I was confused about it too, but you explained it very clearly. Thanks!
Jan 3, 2013 8:27 PM

Feb 2012
Ragingpie said:
EcchiEcho said:

This is a really really good explanation. However, I do believe that he never really fell in love in the first place. I mean, I think we all have experienced this quite a few times in our lives, but maybe not to this extent. You meet a new person, you find this person very exciting, you want to know more about this person etc. You might confuse these feelings for love. But in the end after spending quite some time with this person, you find out the he/she wasn't as you though at the very beginning and becomes a really great friend instead.
Jan 3, 2013 8:52 PM

Jul 2009
all dat fan service. holy.
my body was not ready.
Jan 3, 2013 8:55 PM

Jul 2012
Ragingpie said:
EcchiEcho said:

Sounds like another anime that recently aired. Minus the broken heart.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Jan 3, 2013 9:11 PM
Mar 2008
Koyomi says that his love for Hanekawa is deeper than romantic love. Araragi basically started going out with Hitagi because she asked him out first...sure it cheapens the romance a little, but honestly, if it had been any other girl, he would've probably gone out with them too. He is love with Hitagi because he gradually grew into his feelings for her. But she is not necessarily the most "important" woman in his life, if that makes any sense? That honor most likely is most likely shared by Kisshot and Hanekawa.
Jan 3, 2013 10:17 PM

Dec 2009
Didn't enjoy it as much as Nise and Bake, cause I don't really like Hanekawa.
Still great though.
8.5/10
Jan 3, 2013 10:21 PM

Dec 2011
I didn't expect we will get such a convenient plot device called "Aberration Sword".
I also didn't expect Araragi to threaten to kill Oshino.
I also didn't expect Hanekawa to be in control with his own body.

And Shinobu saves the day!
We finally know the reason why she got her hat, it was given as a reward by Oshino for helping Hanekawa! And also the reason why Araragi isn't falling in love with Hanekawa.

This prequel is good. Can't wait for new monogatari!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2013 11:47 PM

Mar 2011
This prequel was amazing. The ridiculously pretentious yet beautiful kitsch that is Shinbo's art direction is one of the biggest reasons why I find the Monogatari series both inspiring and addicting to watch. I am generally adverse to hentai and ecchi in anime, but if there's fantastic artwork, dialogue and plot alongside these factors, surely these will be cancelled out almost entirely. I really loved that witty one-liner coming from Karen and the awkward sisterly advice Tsukihi gave.

Learning more about Hanekawa in general was interesting, too, especially when it came to the love dynamic between her and Araragi. So she was basically his first love, huh?

I also felt I could relate to Hanekawa's desire to be the perfect "normal" girl. Seeing how she constantly bottled up her feelings all the time only to go berserk after approaching problems the wrong way was like a mirror of myself. I'm getting too mushy here, but I'm basically saying Nekomonogatari really hit home for me.

The music was also a bonus; really can't wait to get my hands on the OST and opening. I assume the wait will be months from now, like it was for the Nisemonogatari OSTs, Agh, Shaft, why must you make us suffer like this?

The teaser was also a horrible way to end things considering how hyped I already am for Kizumonogatari. Now I have two things I will jeopardize my sleeping hours with!

The rest of Monogatari couldn't come any sooner!!! I must have dat OST.
Jan 4, 2013 12:29 AM

Sep 2012
Loved This Prequel although i love the 1st season more (Bakemonogatari)
9/10 for me
and i just loved how they tied in Nekomonogatari's ending to Bakemonogatari beginning (^_^)
Jan 4, 2013 12:38 AM

Oct 2011
Stuartxtr7 said:
Didn't enjoy it as much as Nise and Bake, cause I don't really like Hanekawa.
Still great though.
8.5/10

For me, Nise is the weakest link. Bake was the best. This lands somewhere in the middle. I hope the new season of Bake rocks my little socks off.
Jan 4, 2013 12:40 AM

Sep 2012
I'm so glad I've read Kizumonogatari before. Shinobu is way more awesome is this episode that it seems.
Jan 4, 2013 1:40 AM

Dec 2010
Very solid adaption, a lot of dialogue was cut particularly the opening conversation but then again this is to be expected, heck the opening conversation felt like it could have been two episodes on the Tsukihi portion alone so cuts were obvious, they left out a few details but nothing worth nitpicking about, my only disappointment if you could even call it that is that they didn't animated Kizumonogatari first, i read the novel so i understood the references as well as the details concerning Shinobu but for those who didn't they are kinda missing out until Kizumonogatari finally gets its adaption, i wonder why its being pushed back when it was announced a while ago. Well regardless it was a very solid adaption and a enjoyable one, when reading Neko i got the same feeling that the anime gave me and that was that this entire sequence of events was crucial to explain how Araragi ends up with Senjougahara, because if one just went from Kizu to Bake and skipped Neko people would call BS on the transition considering the implications Kizu gave concerning Hanekawa, thus the purpose of Neko, well one of them anyway. Look forward to the future adaptions, anybody have any clue on which they are animating next?
Jan 4, 2013 2:10 AM

Sep 2012
oh wow! Shinobu talks again!! the moment you know when she talks, something awesome is gonna happen! ^^

So after that will be the beginning of Bake huh? I wonder what's the new season they reveal after the credits. Ah... I miss all the other characters :3
Jan 4, 2013 5:37 AM

Jun 2011
9/10, I liked this very much just as expected ^^ Better than Bakemonogatari but worse than Nisemonogatari. Nekomonogatari Kuro was the only one of the novels that I hadn't read so I didn't have anything to expect. I liked how the things turned out with Hanekawa, Shinobu showing up to finish off sawari neko was awesome. Shinobu showing up is always awesome! xD
Only Koyomi can say this line and make it seem so badass xD

Now I'll be looking forward to the best of all, Kizumonogatari :3
Jan 4, 2013 5:52 AM

Jan 2013
Considering that most people in this thread has already watched the 2 previous series, ranting about too much fan service makes zero sense(even the scenes are based on the original novel, so lolwut).

Anyway, Nekomonogatari Kuro anime was really good, even better than the novel which had much crap and less pun/humour in both neko kuro/shiro. Another reason is that Nisemonogatari anime sucked TOO hard, so I find this one far more enjoyable.

I'm looking forward to Otorimonogatari and Koimonogatari(this one is the best in the whole series) visualized, the rest episodes of 2nd season is just not that great.
DawnJJan 4, 2013 5:57 AM
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Jan 4, 2013 6:08 AM

Sep 2012
Oh common oshino we all know that you name her black hanekawa because of her underwear.

but, overall not as good as bake and nise. but it's still good.
tuturu~!! (≧◡≦)
Jan 4, 2013 6:47 AM
Mar 2012
youngrace said:
Koyomi says that his love for Hanekawa is deeper than romantic love. Araragi basically started going out with Hitagi because she asked him out first...sure it cheapens the romance a little, but honestly, if it had been any other girl, he would've probably gone out with them too. He is love with Hitagi because he gradually grew into his feelings for her. But she is not necessarily the most "important" woman in his life, if that makes any sense? That honor most likely is most likely shared by Kisshot and Hanekawa.

Eh, well you can have a very deep love for someone that isn't romantic, it's just that it usually takes the form of a romantic love. When it comes down to it, it's more about if you actively show favor to one person over the other. For example: He says multiple times throughout the entire monogatari series that he would die for Hanekawa, but at the end of Bakemonogatari he doesn't because he thinks of Hitagi. Who he also is ready to die for, given his fight with Suruga.

Really it is a three way tie between Shinobu, Hitagi and hanekawa in my view haha. As for the whole Hitagi relationship thing...he has some degree of interest in her which develops into a strong love. If anything, it's one of the more realistic relationships I've seen xD Staplers and all.

But I enjoyed this series of OVA's and as usual they did the books justice for the most part. I agree that it would have been nice to see Kizumonogatari done first, but I suppose we'll have to wait. I am even more excited to see Nekomonogatari:Shiro now :)
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nekomonogatari: Kuro Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2012

121 by SanessyAdversary »»
Mar 17, 3:22 PM

Poll: » Nekomonogatari: Kuro Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2012

121 by SanessyAdversary »»
Mar 17, 7:20 AM

Poll: » Nekomonogatari: Kuro Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 31, 2012

153 by SanessyAdversary »»
Mar 17, 7:05 AM

» explain pls

Tauronek - Sep 6, 2017

5 by Rob7 »»
Nov 8, 2022 5:24 PM

» Why dosent this season get much atention?

CrotakuShinobi - Nov 6, 2015

34 by mr_modest »»
Jul 14, 2021 5:21 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.