Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Detective Conan Episode 679 Discussion

Dec 28, 2012 7:33 PM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was a bit of a let-down, I was expecting some murders...

Oh well, the scenery was nice...

Dec 29, 2012 9:24 AM

This one wasn't that good, just the usual stuff with the answers and glad it was over with that.

Feb 4, 2014 11:43 PM

An above average case mostly because it felt larger than most but still pretty typical.

Dec 17, 2015 2:00 AM

At least no one got killed in this one.

Apr 30, 2016 4:34 PM

Case File #678/#679
Nagasaki Mystery Theatre

As you could see from the screencap, this case's pretty unique. And as one might expect from a case like this that focuses on the Japanese culture, the wordplay on the language is a crucial element in solving the mystery, which can make it either extremely dull or very interesting depending on your knowledge of the language. However, there can be a problem with using such wordplay as evidence to identify a culprit, as it can seem like you're pulling nonsense out of nowhere, so I couldn't help but agree when the accused suspect had pointed out this twisting of facts.

What truly intrigues me is the missing person in this case - a screenwriter who ran away from the drama shooting after barely completing half of the script. The really intriguing part is the conclusion where the writer drops subtle hints in his script (that he secretly completes in hiding) to identify a culprit. As it was said in V For Vendetta: "Artists use lies to tell the truth." I've heard about such subtle propaganda being used in movie scripts before, so this was a nice touch here in the anime.

The writer's reason for not telling the police is a sensible enough motivation, but I wish they'd done something more with the relationship between the actors to make the impact of said motivation more meaningful... It otherwise feels like a cheap plot-device that they just toss in at the last minute.

★★★½
My Movie Reviews
Currently Playing: Muv-Luv Unlimited
Currently Watching: House M.D., Louie, The Newsroom, Princess Tutu

Oct 25, 2018 11:35 PM

Complicate resolution, because you need to know Japanese history, because how persons of this forum know the actresses that represented Madama Butterfly in this time? kekeke

Hello, my litte boy!

Mar 25, 2:10 PM

not a bad one :]
they deleted the scenes with Ran and Conan.... if i were Ran i'd be so heartbroken, so much effort into nothing!!
i love whoever reads this.
see you, space cowperson . . .