Forum Settings
Forums

Is it worth buying anime's in blu-ray or just get the DVD?

Dec 25, 2012 10:40 PM

I am thinking of starting a physical anime collection, the store i am looking at (Jb hi-fi, if anyone is interested) sells both dvd and blue-ray is it worth buying blu-ray like are there more specials etc.

Just would like to hear from people already with collections or anyone who knows the answer :D

Dec 25, 2012 10:43 PM
#1 Chihaya Fan

Buy BD where available, I'd recommend against JB though, the selection they tend to have in store are terrible, and ordering online from them is just as bad.

Dec 25, 2012 10:44 PM

are there more features though? like more specials or is it just better quality

Dec 25, 2012 10:45 PM

Blu-ray for sure.

Sometimes they pack in some extra goodies not found in the DVDs. Wish I had a good example though .__.

Dec 25, 2012 10:46 PM

If you have a crappy TV and no sound system, then probably not. The biggest advantage with blu-ray is not necessarily any features, but 6 times the resolution, better compression (less jaggies, mosquito noise artifacts, banding, cadence issues), lossless soundtrack. For most discs you don't have to stop the video to access the menu. And finally, subtitles look a little better since blu-rays use PGS (graphic) subtitles. They look more refined and less blocky -- usually.

If you have a 1080p flat screen TV then you should be able to notice a big difference on newer anime (maybe not so much older upscaled series). Most older series are still only available in DVD anyways.

Of course if you're broke, DVD might be a better value as well, but a lot of times here the price difference isn't that big.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.

Dec 25, 2012 10:49 PM

oh ok i will definitely look for blu-rays for sure ;)

Dec 25, 2012 11:21 PM

what kind of tv you got? mines a CRT so i don't buy blu-ray because it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

Dec 25, 2012 11:32 PM

mines a 32" HD LED

Dec 26, 2012 12:03 AM

just a warning:

not all blu rays have better quality than dvds.

for example, my friend has the claymore blu ray box set - it looks like crap and you see more artifacts than you do in the original DVD.

most of the time the blu ray has better quality though...only sometimes will a producer go the cheap way of making it HD (happens more in some of the older animes though)

I prefer DVD quality though since new anime art/blu ray is a bit too sterile-looking to me. I like older, grainy art style (berserk) better than new art style (art sword online) - it has more character lol

Dec 26, 2012 12:19 AM

I only get blu-ray of newer series that are made in HD resolution. No point in getting a blu-ray upscale of an older series.

Although it's annoying how many new series are only released on DVD, even if the original is in HD. In that case I don't buy the series at all, if all they're offering is the inferior version.

Dec 26, 2012 12:39 AM

I can't ever bring myself to buy dvd/blu-rays simply because I view them the same way I see vhs tapes. They aren't going to last.

Dec 26, 2012 1:19 AM

Complx said:

Just would like to hear from people already with collections or anyone who knows the answer :D

After collecting DVDs, I recently bought a BR of 5cm per seconds. It depends on the anime, thus worth.

Dec 26, 2012 1:27 AM

I prefer thepiratebay.

Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.

Dec 26, 2012 1:47 AM

Complx said:
mines a 32" HD LED

Then the quality difference will be more than obvious so stick with Blu-Ray.

Dec 26, 2012 1:49 AM

Monad said:
Complx said:
mines a 32" HD LED

Then the quality difference will be more than obvious so stick with Blu-Ray.

Yeah this... Get them blu ray from the Internet for free, don't get the DVD for free.

Autocrat said:

Dec 26, 2012 1:49 AM

Narmy said:
I only get blu-ray of newer series that are made in HD resolution. No point in getting a blu-ray upscale of an older series.

I think this is stupid logic. Everyone hear's upscale and suddenly says that it doesn't matter but if you have a big HD TV even if it's upscale it still looks better so why wouldn't you prefer the upscale?

Dec 26, 2012 1:53 AM

Better get the best quality of another anime/same that is not upscale with the same/maybe more money.

What's the point of wasting your money on what is not the latest quality at the moment?

Autocrat said:

Dec 26, 2012 1:59 AM

Immahnoob said:
Better get the best quality of another anime/same that is not upscale with the same/maybe more money.

What's the point of wasting your money on what is not the latest quality at the moment?

If you are gonna buy the DVD of that anime anyway you are not exactly saving anything. You might as well buy the Blu-Ray even if it is as an upscale. It might not look 90%-70% better and only 30% or even 10% but it still looks better. Besides whether you want to spend money in an anime probably has more to do with how much you like it than anything else.

Dec 26, 2012 2:04 AM

It depends on how much it costs. I bought Samurai Champloo blu-ray for $21 on sale. I would not have bought it for the normal $35-ish. All TVs have upscaling built within anyways, and Funimation did not exactly do a superb job.
THE CHAT CLUB.

Dec 26, 2012 2:24 AM

If I want to spend money I'll spend for quality... And for the best one, even if I love the anime (or the game in my case), if it's not noticeable (the quality), I will not buy it.

Same for the games, only thing I ever bought was Warcraft 3 (but that was before anything was made HD).

Autocrat said:

Dec 26, 2012 2:46 AM

Monad said:
Narmy said:

I think this is stupid logic. Everyone hear's upscale and suddenly says that it doesn't matter but if you have a big HD TV even if it's upscale it still looks better so why wouldn't you prefer the upscale?

like i said, sometimes the producer fucks up the quality in lazy efforts to update the graphics.

i already gave the exmaple of claymore - that already had great crisp drawings. however, they didnt properly convert to HD....and the blue ray version looked worse than the original DVD version

it depends on the anime.

also, there are older animes that would look like crap in artificial HD "remastering"

Dec 26, 2012 3:47 AM

RandomChampion said:
Monad said:
Narmy said:

like i said, sometimes the producer fucks up the quality in lazy efforts to update the graphics.

i already gave the exmaple of claymore - that already had great crisp drawings. however, they didnt properly convert to HD....and the blue ray version looked worse than the original DVD version

it depends on the anime.

also, there are older animes that would look like crap in artificial HD "remastering"

Extremely rare thing of an upscale being so badly made that looks even worse than a DVD.
And honestly i don't know what you are going on about with Claymore. Is it one of those things that someone said something and people spread it without checking themselves? I have seen both versions and the Blu-Ray doesn't look worse at all. The picture is clearly less blurry when watching on HD TV. Sure is not even close to new well made HD anime but is not worse than the DVD.

Dec 26, 2012 4:33 AM

So from what i am reading the best option is to buy blu-rays only if the anime originally was released in HD and if it has been upscaled there is a chance the quality could be worse?

Dec 26, 2012 6:10 AM

Complx said:
So from what i am reading the best option is to buy blu-rays only if the anime originally was released in HD and if it has been upscaled there is a chance the quality could be worse?

No don't listen to them. Even upscale 99% of times looks slightly better to a lot better. Just always buy the Blu-Ray of the series you like and don't think about it.

Dec 26, 2012 6:20 AM

i personally think you should just buy whatever is cheapest since unless it will really make a huge difference i think its better to invest the money in just more series you want instead.(that being said if the Blu-Ray is cheaper then the DVD version there is really no reason to not buy the Blu-Ray anyway)

Dec 26, 2012 6:21 AM

I still recommend you pirate the Blu-ray.

Autocrat said:

Dec 26, 2012 6:58 AM

Immahnoob said:

I have been pirated them but i do want to give back since they give soo much :P

also sales help them decide on new seasons haha

Dec 26, 2012 6:59 AM
Dvd is way better. The quality is better.

Dec 26, 2012 7:07 AM

Complx said:
Immahnoob said:

Pirates actually increased sales for anime outside Japan.

And this is digital material, basically, you did not steal or take away from nobody, you just copied.

Autocrat said:

Dec 26, 2012 7:31 AM

Immahnoob said:
Complx said:
Immahnoob said:

Pirates actually increased sales for anime outside Japan.

And this is digital material, basically, you did not steal or take away from nobody, you just copied.

Exactly increased sales and the more sales the better
And when it is a blu-ray rip or dvd rip dosent that become stealing?

Dec 26, 2012 7:44 AM

I don't remember a Blu-ray disk disappearing off a shelf when you copied it. Maybe when somebody other than you bought it.

Autocrat said:

Dec 26, 2012 11:39 AM

4:15-5:30

for some reason timestamps dont work so put it #t=4m15s into the url if you choose to
~"The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and hands." (Pirsig)

Dec 26, 2012 12:57 PM

buyign animies... hahah... LAUGH...

awesome video btw

Dec 26, 2012 3:17 PM

Alright the trolls in this thread did make me laugh, but that aside, get the Blu-ray versions if available and not extremely overpriced. They will look better and sound better almost all the time. They are also more resistant to scratches which ensures you may enjoy them years from now.

Dec 26, 2012 3:29 PM

At the moment I have a small collection of anime on dvds but I did manage to buy both dvd and blu-ray combo packs for the Eden of the East movies and I do believe on amazon they have Studio Ghibli movies in combo packs.

Dec 26, 2012 5:07 PM

Complx said:
Upscaled anime are usually not worse, there's a 99% chance it will be a tiny bit better. But if you have a recent TV (probably not a 32") that's middle to high end, chances are there will be a pretty good upscaler inside the TV that does exactly what the studio did when they upscaled it, so why bother? I would still get upscaled blu-rays if the cost differential isn't that much.

For example if DVD set was $15, and blu-ray set was $20, get the blu-ray. But if DVD set was $5, and blu-ray set was $30, then just get the DVD.
THE CHAT CLUB.

Dec 26, 2012 6:06 PM

Monad said:
Narmy said:

Because I think the upscales look worse. They have this weird sharpening filter that I don't like, I think DVDs upscaled by my video player look better.

Though the one thing that blu-rays will always do better is subtitles. But even then, I don't really mind the blocky DVD subs.
Modified by Narmy, Dec 26, 2012 6:10 PM

Dec 26, 2012 10:36 PM

Monad said:
RandomChampion said:
Monad said:
Narmy said:

it depends on the anime.

Extremely rare thing of an upscale being so badly made that looks even worse than a DVD.
And honestly i don't know what you are going on about with Claymore. Is it one of those things that someone said something and people spread it without checking themselves? I have seen both versions and the Blu-Ray doesn't look worse at all. The picture is clearly less blurry when watching on HD TV. Sure is not even close to new well made HD anime but is not worse than the DVD.

have you watched both versions for extended periods of time? there are parts during the blu ray when the texture quality plummets (on an HD tv)

Dec 27, 2012 2:12 AM

Thank you everyone for helping me out I have decided to buy blu-ray when i can and when its almost same price then dvd. If it is way over priced then ill just go with DVD :)

Thanks everyone again for the support :D

Dec 27, 2012 12:05 PM

Complx said:
Immahnoob said:

I have pirated Blu-rays, they look great! Although, the OP might want to buy it and have the physical copy somewhere in his room, like a trophy. You see, when you buy so much merchandise from various anime and watch it all grow, you feel proud. Some way.
HI TE-SENPAI

Dec 27, 2012 12:10 PM

only dvd cause i don't have a blu-ray player. then again, i really don't care too much for the quality i just want the dvd. if i want HD quality, there's always downloads for that.
"everyone knows that the last toes are always the coldest to go."

Telavators-the mars volta

Dec 27, 2012 12:54 PM

If you want sequels, you gotta import the BDs, heck these days even if you want to get a series licensed in your region and it's on BD, get the BD, you'll thank yourself later. Amazon Japan is a no fuss way of importing BDs and you should bundle 2-3 vols per order to save on shipping costs.

Dec 27, 2012 3:41 PM

Well, if you want the best quality possible then heck, by all means go right ahead.

I personally wouldn't recommend getting your Blu rays from Jb-hi-fi though, seeing as they are usually out of stock for quite alot of anime, and there prices are a bit expensive. It's be best to buy your Blu rays online, or at anime stores.

Dec 30, 2012 7:34 AM

Decimate said:
Well, if you want the best quality possible then heck, by all means go right ahead.

I personally wouldn't recommend getting your Blu rays from Jb-hi-fi though, seeing as they are usually out of stock for quite alot of anime, and there prices are a bit expensive. It's be best to buy your Blu rays online, or at anime stores.

Yea I noticed that today the selection was just terrible

Dec 30, 2012 10:18 AM

DVD/Bluray Combos! The best of both worlds!

Dec 30, 2012 10:32 AM

I have found that it depends on the series. There are a lot, A LOT, of older shows that are not currently licensed in the US. Or shows that weren't popluar enough for a new release on Blu Ray. Oftentimes DVD will be the only format that you can find these shows on. If possible I buy Blu Ray, if only to future proof my collection. You see, I don't own an HD TV. So increased resolution doesn't do it for me. Recent releases have done a good job to push for Blu Ray/DVD Combo Packs, which are usually comparable in price. Maybe thats an option you would like to explore?
Let this be our little secret, no needs to know we're feeling HIGHER AND HIGHER AND HIGHER!