Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 29, 2013 1:27 PM

Nov 2010
Not surprised how the ending turned out. When the series started, it drew me in with the BETA and the TSFs and how everyone is struggling for survival. As someone else said in their review, after the beach episode, the series went downhill. That "tournament" took most of the episodes, and we never really got to finish it, so that was pointless. This might get a few of you upset, but I really wanted some of the main cast to die in the end. A last struggle fighting against the BETA like the 2nd episode in the series, and some sacrifices to be made since that is a part of war. Too many plot holes left unanswered and characters who appear out of nowhere then die or disappear. I should have known that the harem/romance part of the series would take over the story.

On the bright side, the visuals and the action scenes were nice, but even that couldn't cover up how lame the series progressed. 4/10.
Feb 15, 2013 2:19 PM
Aug 2009
sales anyone? that usually tells a lot if there will be s2 or not. actually loved it but lately Ive been realy hungry for harem anime and I kinda love Top Gun so that explains a lot :P VN is out of question for me since I find it kinda damn hard to watch/read/play anything that has female as MC :/
Feb 21, 2013 5:56 PM

Jun 2012
After watching this series, I want to get into this universe more. Can anyone help me figure out where to start?
Feb 28, 2013 4:40 PM
Aug 2009
tkdbb156 said:
After watching this series, I want to get into this universe more. Can anyone help me figure out where to start?

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=cmt&id=44402

read this it shuld help
Mar 1, 2013 1:41 AM
Sep 2010
Read the visual novels Muv-Luv and Muv-Luv Alternative.
Mar 25, 2013 7:45 PM

Jan 2012
I swear the Beta were supposed to be the main problem in this story, but instead they just added some random shit in, like a darn terrorist attack! Whats the point in humans having to fight each other when you have an alien invasion that has almost taken all over the world!?

I swear they just put in a bunch of random scenes hoping that the viewer finds interest!

Like the Machines and fighting scenes were really great, but they should have made the characters less fucking clueless. I thought they were high ranked officers, but instead they acted like fucking 14 year old kids!

The only thing i liked about it was the flashy fighting and the Machines! They could have done a lot better with this, I even got my hopes up since I really am in love with mecha!
Mar 31, 2013 12:51 AM
Aug 2010
So is this as epic as Alternative? Probably not huh? Not even close?

Wait, there's gonna be another visual novel? What's it gonna be on? Is it gonna be an elaboration or continuation of this?
BobjonesMar 31, 2013 1:01 AM
Apr 4, 2013 10:09 PM

Dec 2009
This show sucked. I was hoping to watch some good mecha vs alien action, but all I got was some high school drama, pseudo-romance bullshizz. Talk about bait and switch.
Apr 10, 2013 11:25 PM
Sep 2010
Bobjones said:
So is this as epic as Alternative? Probably not huh? Not even close?

Wait, there's gonna be another visual novel? What's it gonna be on? Is it gonna be an elaboration or continuation of this?

Total Eclipse is nowhere near as good as the original Alternative visual novel.

The latest visual novel that's coming out on May is based on Total Eclipse and will tell the full story.
Jun 22, 2013 1:42 PM

Nov 2009
First 5 episodes I had this on a 8, episode 6 to 19 was pretty much a trainwreck, and the terrorist arc imo was kind of a saving grace, overall a 6/10 from me, a bit disappointing and they probably would of been better off animating the original Alternative VN rather than this spin-off.
Jul 2, 2013 2:53 AM

Oct 2010
It definitely had some great things but it was a bit unsatisfying at the end. Large cast but only few of them were really likable to me, like Cryska, Yui and Stella. And I heard that the ending of VN is rather bad too so second season would be even more painful to watch. Still, I'm glad that Total Eclipse got animated. ^^
CrimruiJul 15, 2013 3:30 AM
Jul 14, 2013 3:13 PM

Apr 2013
For me Gundam Wing and NGE has set the standard for all mecha/sci-fi animes but this had romance which made it a bit more appealing to me. I thought I wouldn't like it but I do because of the romance. I think this needs a season 2 just focusing on the romance and less on the BETA attacks and mecha parts :D:D
Sep 30, 2013 1:04 PM
May 2013
This episode was awesome , my heart skipped a beat at the ending because I thought Yui is going to get shot ( I haven't read the manga and LN ), I'm glad Yuuya's harem is safe again.
It's over ... dammit I want more, I'm gonna rewatch this soon, meanwhile I'm going to finish MLA because compared to this that is a masterpiece.

I hope for a 2nd season.
Muv-Luv-er said:
But they really need to do an anime for the main series.

One good thing about this anime :it made me play Muv Luv VN ( I finished my 1st VN Yay ! probably I won't find another VN better than this)
Oct 27, 2013 1:48 AM

Jan 2012
stopped giving a shit about the plot after 6 Episodes..

crap series with great start..

6/10 only b/c boobies and mamiko noto

shame..
Nov 7, 2013 12:24 AM

Oct 2013
for my part, i really liked this series, yeah some parts were kind ridiculous(always happen in most anime anyway) sad a bit we havent seen even ONE kiss, could have done it at the end unless that they are really planning a follow of this, because lot of questions unanswered here,

the series were starting to go on a harem style as well after the episode 15th

would give overall 8.5/10
Nov 8, 2013 3:30 PM
Feb 2013
the messed up thing is its been a year and still no season 2.....i need to see that kiss god damn it
Dec 22, 2013 8:21 PM

Apr 2011
Nice series, wish there was more though, although I doubt they'll ever make a 2nd season.

7/10
Jun 2, 2014 11:45 PM
May 2014
Nice show, i really liked every part of it. As I see they are still writing the new stories:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muv-Luv

So I'm looking foward for the second :)
Jun 2, 2014 11:46 PM
May 2014
Zarnaav said:
This episode was awesome , my heart skipped a beat at the ending because I thought Yui is going to get shot ( I haven't read the manga and LN ), I'm glad Yuuya's harem is safe again.
It's over ... dammit I want more, I'm gonna rewatch this soon, meanwhile I'm going to finish MLA because compared to this that is a masterpiece.

I hope for a 2nd season.
Muv-Luv-er said:
But they really need to do an anime for the main series.

One good thing about this anime :it made me play Muv Luv VN ( I finished my 1st VN Yay ! probably I won't find another VN better than this)
Haha, that's nice
Jun 29, 2014 6:04 PM

Jun 2012
I kind of lost my shit at that gay ass salute, like seriously Yuuya. This anime was too much of cock tease in the romance department.
And thanks to that other thread I know the rest of the story is shit.
Might give the VN's a shot though.
Jul 3, 2014 9:31 PM

Dec 2008
it got a solid 7/10 because I was lucky enough to find the uncensored version. But for the main part it just dragged on without any further explanation of the BETA threat and with no real second season in store as far as I can tell. It was fairly cool, but.....the adult doujins were better lol 7/10 FOR GREAT RACKS n blue gender-ish mech plot lol
Aug 13, 2014 12:41 AM

Jul 2008
So the twins went crazy and nearly killed everyone and the BETA got bombed to hell, oh well. Sandek is still plotting so it sucks that he didn't get killed and the RLF got slaughtered by their own hand.

And finally the love rivalry is on, all in all this was no ending, left way to much out there and season 2 looks like a no so this gets a 6/10 which is generous.

If they dropped the harem episodes this could have been much better.
Oct 18, 2014 12:06 AM

Jun 2013
And so it ends...
Overall it was good, but I feel like this anime shot itself in the foot with those awesome first two episodes (especially uncensored!). I would have loved if it continued from there and showed us the war and destruction of Japan from Yui's point of view as she becomes a badass mecha pilot. But, alas, that was not the case.

Still a good anime nonetheless though.

7/10
Mar 15, 2015 12:59 PM
Jan 2014
Is there going to be a season 2?
Jul 15, 2015 3:07 AM
Jun 2015
I have heard that in season 2 of the manga Cryska dies :( If this was to happen, if they made a season 2 of the anime series I would become pissed. Anyway I still wish Yuuya would end up with Yui. Again still, I am very happy with this neutral ending.
Dec 6, 2015 8:32 PM

Jun 2007
This went to a special kind of terribad "YOU'RE MY HUSBAND AFTER BEATING Me!" / "...Do you like my food? *blush*" harem hell. The post-credits scene being dedicated to love rivaling summed the show up.

The random, never before mentioned religious terrorist people replacing mecha competition thing and the twin girls magic robot power-up were... UGGGGHHH. So much for a mecha war vs. aliens! Series stopped being interesting once lead stopped being arrogant and heroine started blushing instead of being a bitch. Either then or after the ep2 slaughter. Last time the series was good was during Russia arc... before the harem woe.

Also: WAT ECLIPSE!? WAT WAS POINT OF SERIES? YYYYYYYYY?

4/10

PS: NATALIE, NOOOOOOO! A terrorist with conviction, that one.
Dec 28, 2015 2:26 PM

Jan 2008
Mar 21, 2016 9:57 PM

Mar 2012
When the show took it's actual main conflict serious it was great, the episodes with the testing of the weapons when it focused on the BETA was easily the best part...show was all over the damn place after that though....the stereotyping in the character conversations for the first 8 episodes of the show was an incredible turn off too...definitely glad it's over

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment"
Mar 28, 2016 8:02 AM

Jul 2014
That ending... so incredibly unsatisfying!!

I loved the concept of the TSF and BETAs but hated how it developed into something like a harem for Yuuya as the story went along. Zzzz.

I wish animes would stop doing that. IDK why they think that it's necessary for a gazillion girls to fall for the protagonist. >_<
. . . . . . . . . .
DO NOT touch my rice. . . . . .
I'm Asian. . . . . .
Jun 7, 2016 2:10 AM

May 2014
Watching this after Schwarzesmarken lol and Schwarzesmarken, although a spin-off, was way better than this.
That red haired guy looked like Theodor Eberbach from Schwarzesmarken though
Well, it's still good if not for the unnecessary harem and fanservice. 7/10
Jun 8, 2016 12:29 PM
Jan 2016
BaptizED said:
Watching this after Schwarzesmarken lol and Schwarzesmarken, although a spin-off, was way better than this.

Wait for The Euro Front.
Jun 8, 2016 12:36 PM

Jan 2008
JeffreyZin said:
The show isn't really over yet!! The antagonist as we saw this episode is going after Japan next!

original Muv-Luv trilogy will lend you a hand.
Jul 23, 2016 9:08 AM

Feb 2014
"Rivals in love".... really?

Jul 24, 2016 10:22 AM

Jan 2008
OrangeRafi said:

Did they already planned on localization anytime soon? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series/posts/1475550
Jul 25, 2016 3:10 AM

Feb 2014
planetwarrior said:
OrangeRafi said:

Did they already planned on localization anytime soon? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/muvluv/muv-luv-a-pretty-sweet-visual-novel-series/posts/1475550

Only the original Muv-Luv trilogy will get a localization. Total Eclipse which is a spinoff series based on the Muv-Lu Alternative timeline will not get a localization.

Other VN series based on the Alternative timeline are Schwarzemarken (which we got an anime adaptation last winter) and The Day After.
Jul 25, 2016 9:37 AM

Jan 2008
OrangeRafi said:
planetwarrior said:

Only the original Muv-Luv trilogy will get a localization. Total Eclipse which is a spinoff series based on the Muv-Lu Alternative timeline will not get a localization.

Other VN series based on the Alternative timeline are Schwarzemarken (which we got an anime adaptation last winter) and The Day After.

Now that's just sad that Total Eclipse won't get a greenlight like how Schwarzesmarken has http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=651346103, but I guess it's all about current interest as of now, and based on how success trilogy is to pave the way for other titles, and The Day After is part of Unlimited timeline, http://muvluv.wikia.com/wiki/Unlimited/The_Day_After_Timeline
Aug 6, 2016 11:11 PM

Sep 2011
I was pretty interested considering the uncensored gore I got in the first episode. Things steadily headed downhill and hit rock bottom after the "You beat me, now I am your wife" event. It felt like this series didn't know what it wanted to be. It completely forgot that the entire point was to fight off aliens from Mars. This also doesn't make any sense - how did they get to Earth? If they can fly why did they only land in Asia? The romance was painful to watch, and the plot (and subplot) became ridiculously convoluted.

What on Earth made the terrorists think that attacking the base and destroying everything was a good idea? "Yeah, the refugees are the first ones to die in war. I have an idea! Let's destroy the base that is developing equipment to prevent that from happening. Who cares if the world is destroyed as long as the refugees are safe." Absolutely ridiculous.
Aug 21, 2016 12:18 PM

Jan 2008
BaptizED said:

And the same voice as well, which is coincidence.
Oct 6, 2016 8:11 PM
Jan 2014
Well this whole final arc was kind of an incomprehensible mess. I was completely lost through a lot of it. It just kept jumping all over the place, and I often lost track of who was sided with who and what their motivations were.

Overall the show kind of sucked. It could really have used more of a clear, linear narrative. I'm sure the awful Commie meme subs I used didn't help at all either.
Mar 30, 2017 4:11 AM

Apr 2009
This show became a totally disaster after episode 2.

4/10
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 8, 2017 3:45 AM

Jul 2015
ezaya said:
This show became a totally disaster after episode 2.

Agreed... Yui should have been the real MC... :/

Harem doesn't mix fine with a story that's... trying(?) to be serious...
Girls were great, though. A lot a ñami-ñami girls. :3

Scharzesmarken was better...
I'll fade away and classify myself as obsolete!
Obsolete!!
Jun 29, 2017 4:15 PM

Nov 2012
Sorry for this long rant/review but I needed to get it out of my system D:

Really a lot of mixed feelings with this series, but I can only judge the anime, since I haven't played the VN yet. I first heard of muv-luv in an interview with Hajime Isayama, who cited it as one of his main inspirations for SnK. Naturally, I was curious and found about this anime after watching S2 of SnK. That was the wrong mindset to get into this series, even if my expectations weren't as high. I like to go as blind as possible whenever I watch a series, so I didn't know this was a spinoff adaptation until it was a bit late, and no, I don't have plans to play the VN yet. I might give the Schwarzesmarken anime a shot, though.
Plot: The start of TE got me hooked in an SnK-sort of way (although not that well handled). The training setting with the girls was too happy at first but given the way I got to know about this series it was obvious that many, if not all of the girls, would die. That was fine and all, I had high hopes for Yui's development, but then the focus of the show shifted to Yuuya. That bait-n-switch made the first 2 episodes almost pointless, either they could've saved them for later as Yui's flashbacks or they could've just made Yui the main character for the show (which I was expecting). I think she is a much more interesting character, while Yuuya's tragic past is just not that interesting in comparison. Still, I guess it would be hard to keep the series interesting from Yui's point of view if she is just a lieutenant and not a pilot. I'd say she should've kicked Yuuya's ass in a TSF practice fight way early in the story, just to make him change his attitude (his biggest problem, after all, as he was actually adapting faster than she thought to maneuvering the TSF), and it would've made his victory against her much more meaningful than just "you beat me, now I'm in love with you". The plot dwelves way so much in fan service to the point that it seems like watching 2 separate realities back to back: the slice-of-life one and the BETA-themed one. It takes the "you have to enjoy the few happy moments in this war" advice too far. The character conversations, while interesting, seem to go on for too long, even going in circles at times. The BETA conflict really takes a back seat to the political backstabbing, which seems kinda realistic, but in the end the BETAs are just there... not much is explained or discovered, much less resolved. This also produces a disconnect with the first two episodes: they tease you with a war, but most of the show happens in a base far from the front lines. The war with the BETA and their mysteries is half of what kept me going, so I ended up disappointed. Then they go with a tournament arc for the second half. At first I thought it was really dumb but it was nice it got interrupted. The tournament part of the arc, though, was a bit too long, I didn't care much for it. When the RLF shows up it became much more interesting. In the end, though, not much really happens, and nobody in the harem even dies (unless you count that French girl as part of it). I thought they had grown some balls when it seemed they killed off Yuuya, but nope. That would've made it interesting, but I would've settled for any truly relevant character dying, at least one, because the plot armor was too obvious. The ending didn't have any real impact, but apparently TE only covered half or so of the VN, so... I guess I can't falter them for that (what if they had removed all fan service and harem filler though, would they have had time for the whole story?). So, if it's too early to talk about plot armor, I guess I'll just read a wiki or something because the anime didn't make me interested enough to play the VNs. Back to the ending... The RLF just killing themselves seems believable, but a bit convenient. And just in the final arc it was revealed that there was a secret BETA research going on (which gave it a sort of cool NGE twist), but the implications of that aren't explored because the show ends. That's just cruel, man. Gotta give them props for giving the final episode enough time to wrap up as much as possible, though.

Characters: This is what saved the series for me, and I guess that speaks more to the quality of the source material than the anime itself. Yui and Yuuya are interesting characters and both of them show development. However, I'm not too sold on Yui's, she starts as a mostly innocent girl who learns the harsh reality of war, becomes a badass "I take no shit from you" independent woman, then kinda regresses a bit with all her feelings about Yuuya... on many ocassions she is relegated to harem interest instead of co-protagonist. Yuuya, on the other hand, was handled much better, he learns respect, he learns to adapt to the TSF, and he comes to embrace his Japanese identity, of course being dense to Yui's feelings for most of the show (because I think in the end he kinda knows... right?). I liked the development of the scarlet twins, but I wish more had been explained about their backstory. The rest of the XFJ pilots were likable, but not much is shown about their backstory except for Tarisa, which is a shame because I was sure if any of them died then there would be no impact. I loved and hated Cui, she brought some levity but butted in so much it got kinda annoying... Her instant love for Yuuya made her almost one-dimensional, a bit more flanderization and she becomes a yandere (though Cryska's jealousy is a tiny bit yanderish as well). Then, in the end, Cryska and Yui acknowledge each other as rivals in love. Oh, and Yui doesn't confess to Yuuya, neither she says goodbye to him, because she is sure she'll be back to Yukon base. I was cool with that (suits her Japanese way of thinking), but her conversation with Cryska made it look like Yuuya wouldn't have a say in it, like a trophy. I ship Yui, but turns out she's his half-sister... What are the odds!? I accidentally spoiled myself looking at character profiles (looking for the VA) and then I was waiting for the anime to reveal it, but it only hinted at it with the food thing. Perhaps it's much better for anime-onlys not to know about this. So they're half-siblings, and to make it even easier for Yuuya to chose, going for Cryska is practically getting both Cryska and Inia.

Sound & Music: The music is really the low point, the OST sounds like midi most of the time, can't recall any memorable tunes. Some of the few insert songs were cool, though. That music cue at the end of the episodes right before the ending (I guess it's actually the 1st ending's intro) sounds like the cheapest, most generic way to generate tension. I'm sorry but I found it terrible. The sound effects and the VAs were okay, but I missed more dramatic screams at some points (just a small nitpick, though).

Animation, Art, Direction: I watched the blu-ray version only, but it had its share of issues, characters looked iffy from not too far at times. Bust size seemed to change a lot for Tarisa, Inia, and Stella, and not only when going from casual clothes to their TSF suits XD. I can see the budget wasn't big, but I think they managed with what they had. To be honest I really didn't mind the CG, I actually liked it because at least for the TSFs it was fluid most of the time, unlike other, most recent series. The BETAs though, I didn't like them, but I also didn't like much their design, and that's not the studio's fault, at least not entirely. The direction was okay for the most part but could've been better. I don't know if I'm too used to Tetsuro Araki's direction, but I missed his overly dramatic style every time there was a shocking scene in this show. Some impactful scenes kinda fell flat, especially at the beginning when Yui's friends die like flies or the scarlet twins almost killed Tarisa and Yuuya at the end. Natalie's death was well executed, though.

tl;dr
The tone of the series feels like 2 different stories or realities, one of fan service and slice-of-life, one of war and political schemes. Bait-n-switch start, some filler episodes, not enough meat in the plot (unless you're talking about the female characters XD plot everywhere) Good characters with development, poor music. Really hard to recommend, even to mecha fans (still better than Aldnoah.zero overall).
As stand-alone material, this is ok/mediocre-ish, too much stuff is unexplained which basically screams "read the VN". The problem is, it's terrible advertisement for the VNs in the first place.
4/5 for the ending
6/10 for the series

kchorrex2012Jun 29, 2017 11:55 PM
Jan 9, 2019 3:14 AM
Sep 2018
GateLambda said:
''Rivals in love'' has to be one the best ending lines for any series ever.
I'm eager to see how the visual novel unfolds, and some good soul translates it or summarizes it for us. To be honest, I kinda see what is going to happen, since the RLF leader was targeting Japan, and Yui is headed there, so he will probably try to seduce her or something and Yuya will save the day! I hope :(

Anyway, this anime was super entertaining with the right amounts of gore, action, ecchi, romance and mechas, 8/10!!

Im sure the terrorist leader has somthing to do with yui in fact im sure hes going to manipulate her and try to make yuyya comw to him in some way maybe a arranges marriage like hundreds of other animes ans the "hero" shows up for the save?
May 31, 2019 11:40 PM

Aug 2018
You pays yer money, and you takes yer chances.

The ending was not executed well.

6/10
Mar 27, 2022 3:30 PM
Feb 2022
Tera senguda temporada
Mar 27, 2022 3:33 PM
Feb 2022
Por que não tem senguda temporada
Feb 28, 2023 9:49 AM
Aug 2021
i really liked muv luv TE got anime adaptacion.but they did poor job adapting visual novel
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Season 2?

Allenkilla1 - Jun 11, 2013

45 by SlimShadyArgos1 »»
Dec 30, 2023 3:23 AM

» Muv Luv's Japanese critique of Americans

Jerrychiang - Aug 3, 2012

45 by 8man226 »»
Nov 9, 2023 7:32 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 1, 2012

175 by Zane_0 »»
Aug 9, 2023 10:56 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2012

52 by SMmania123 »»
Aug 13, 2022 8:21 PM

» Should i watch this?

Grontan - Jul 14, 2022

4 by ixarising »»
Jul 19, 2022 10:32 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.