Forum Settings
Forums

Does it annoy you when japanese voice cast cannot pronounce english?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Post New Reply
Nov 20, 2008 11:41 AM

There is like NO voice staff in any anime which can pronounce understandable english, I wonder why they don't just hire western voice actors/tresses to do those 1 or 2 line english phrases?

I will live on no matter what... so I can meet you once again.

Nov 20, 2008 11:43 AM

Because it's meant for people in Japan...
As long as they could understand it, I don't see why they should spend the money and effort to hire a whole new person for "1 or 2 line"
Hi guys, new YouTube channel trying to make spoiler free reviews, reactions and parodies. Please visit my channel, watch my videos and offer some suggestions so I can improve.

Nov 20, 2008 11:44 AM

Are you talking about the people in the japanese cast that have an occasional english line, or the one's that are attempting to be an english person?

If they have a word or two of English thats fine, I can't even begin to pretend to know how to properly pronounce Japanese. If its someone who is supposed to be native english...thats when it gets to me ;) I see it more with live action people.

Hana Kimi for example, Julia is supposed to be from LA, so they took a japanese girl and put a blonde wig on her....

Nov 20, 2008 11:44 AM

who cares, seriously i admire the fact that japan and china decide not to conform with english speaking countries.

Nov 20, 2008 11:46 AM
Ditto what kenshin322 said. I mean, do you expect them to be fluent in English and have perfect pronunciation? Um, no.

Also, lol @ hiring Western actors/actresses for a few lines of English. I doubt any voice staff wants to waste money doing that.

Nov 20, 2008 11:47 AM

kenshin322 said:
Because it's meant for people in Japan...
As long as they could understand it, I don't see why they should spend the money and effort to hire a whole new person for "1 or 2 line"
I agree with this. It's just a couple lines most of the time, why put so much effort into getting someone to speak just those couple lines?

Nov 20, 2008 11:48 AM

Aarana said:
Are you talking about the people in the japanese cast that have an occasional english line, or the one's that are attempting to be an english person?

If they have a word or two of English thats fine, I can't even begin to pretend to know how to properly pronounce Japanese. If its someone who is supposed to be native english...thats when it gets to me ;) I see it more with live action people.

Hana Kimi for example, Julia is supposed to be from LA, so they took a japanese girl and put a blonde wig on her....
that's stereotyping at its finest. LOL

Nov 20, 2008 11:54 AM

It's a little weird, but not annoying.

Nov 20, 2008 11:56 AM

It's true western people are horrible at pronouncing asian languages but I am asian and I speak english and chinese fine I also pronounce japanese fine according to people in Japan when I went to visit so I don't see why professional trained voices cannot pronounce what they are paid to do.

Nov 20, 2008 11:58 AM

Doesn't bother me at all. Hell, if anything, it just gives me a good laugh. Hearing Revy throw down English in Black Lagoon made my day. (She was supposed to have grown up in New York, so it counts as "should be fluent...")

But no, it doesn't bother me.

Nov 20, 2008 12:02 PM

Not really. Most of the time it's only one or two words to a line. Anyways, when the English dub character voices say a name wrong all the time, does that annoy you? It's about the same thing in my book, except slightly worse when the name is wrong, as that is more common than a word or two in English.

Nov 20, 2008 12:08 PM

Yeah i surely do i just hope somehow some jap VA can speak english good though

Nov 20, 2008 12:11 PM

And I sure expect those Dub voice actors are good at japanese too

/sarcasm

My advice? Stop throwing random english in there.

Nov 20, 2008 12:12 PM

Aarana said:

My advice? Stop throwing random english in there.

...it's kind of part of Japanese culture now.

Nov 20, 2008 12:22 PM

AnimeKraze said:
It's true western people are horrible at pronouncing asian languages but I am asian and I speak english and chinese fine I also pronounce japanese fine according to people in Japan when I went to visit so I don't see why professional trained voices cannot pronounce what they are paid to do.
There's a pretty big difference there, though, you know those languages and speak them, I doubt the VAs know English aside from the few lines they have to speak here and there.

Nov 20, 2008 12:28 PM

If character is from english speaking country it sounds kinda weird but I still don't give a damn. Seiyuu are Japanese so their Japanese should be perfect, not english, who cares about strong accent. You can't expect every people to pronounce english like native speaker. Often it's just impossible. Besides it's not only english, check out Asuka's German ;]
Ii tenki desu ne...

Nov 20, 2008 12:38 PM

lol if that annoys you don't ever watch Beck in Japanese. Theres a ton of engrish thrown in and alot of songs are in engrish too :)

I was made to hit in America!! :p

Nov 20, 2008 12:55 PM

AnimeKraze said:

I highly doubt that knowing how to speak English that you could understand is part of a voice actor/actress's job. I am sure if you go to Japan and ask a native Japanese if he/she have any problem with the way they pronunce English in anime, they would probably think you are either weird or think to highly of yourself.

Just because you could speak English/Chinese/Japanese fine doesn't mean others needs to. Professional trained voices are paid to sound a certain way, not trained so they can pronunce words to your liking.

Let me put what you are saying this into a basketball analogy
You are basiclly saying that, because you can shot freethrow well and not be a pro basketball player, all pro who can't shot freethrows annoys you.

why are people like Shaq who can't shot freethrow getting paid to play the game? They should just hire someone to shot freethrows for him or that he should learn how to shot freethrows b/c he's a pro.

What I am trying to say is that what you said is pretty selfish and kinda pointless b/c you are just expressing your personal opinion and not caring about others. Ever thought maybe you are the only one who think it's not "understandable english?"
Hi guys, new YouTube channel trying to make spoiler free reviews, reactions and parodies. Please visit my channel, watch my videos and offer some suggestions so I can improve.

Nov 20, 2008 12:56 PM

The Japanese language has adopted a lot of English words into its language anyway.

Nov 20, 2008 1:00 PM

It sounds weirder when they can actually pronounce it. It does not bother me, but it's a mystery why do they need to include random English vocabulary everywhere.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori

Nov 20, 2008 1:17 PM

a bit, but I mostly I find it hilarious and have a hard time not to laugh..

everyone who has seen the Hellsing Ultimate knows what I am talking about...

"AAAAMEEEEEEN!"
- Andersen

Nov 20, 2008 1:23 PM

I find it funny myself, especially when a character is like "wow your english is so good" XD

its cool when they do good on it though

Nov 20, 2008 1:26 PM

I find it quite interesting personally. I believe i allows the anime to remain authentic. So therefore i have no problem with and for people who care so much about the english being pronounced correctly "watch it dubbed". Well I am biased because i don't belive anime should every be dubbed. It just completely downgrades anime in my eyes

Nov 20, 2008 1:28 PM

It is kind of odd sounding. They should try harder. :D

Nov 20, 2008 1:32 PM

traed said:
I find it funny myself, especially when a character is like "wow your english is so good" XD

I know what you mean, when Echizen Ryoma from Prince of tennis was going to speak english... that's seriously "Mada, made da ne"
Modified by Serenti, Nov 20, 2008 1:36 PM

Nov 20, 2008 1:46 PM

I've heard a number of very well done english lines in anime, and some where the accent was there but it was pretty close anyways.

However, I freaking love the horrible Japanese accents. They're fun. So you can just say I'm all for poorly pronounced english in my media.

Nov 20, 2008 2:15 PM

Morning Musume in English class

I was waiting for an opportunity to post this movie on this site ^_^ Be prepared, it's seriously funny... XD

'Refrigireetaaaa'

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh

Nov 20, 2008 2:33 PM

LivingFlame said:
Doesn't bother me at all. Hell, if anything, it just gives me a good laugh. Hearing Revy throw down English in Black Lagoon made my day. (She was supposed to have grown up in New York, so it counts as "should be fluent...")

But no, it doesn't bother me.

^ what they said. I find it hilarious.

Nov 20, 2008 2:48 PM

Yes! Smasher you got the right idea!

Looks like its time for more of Ayaka's suprise english lessons w/ Mari chan <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ea5Dd4EI_I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sW6Am0XhY0
Modified by Snakeymaru, Nov 20, 2008 2:52 PM

Nov 20, 2008 2:58 PM

Snakeymaru said:
Yes! Smasher you got the right idea!

Looks like its time for more of Ayaka's suprise english lessons w/ Mari chan <3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ea5Dd4EI_I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sW6Am0XhY0

That's so cute! Sometimes their English amazes even me but it makes for alot of funny situations.

Nov 20, 2008 3:06 PM

Suprise English lessons = win.

Personally I dont mind the Engrish at all when its the odd word or sentence, its kinda cute in a way. You try speaking ANY foriegn language and you'll sound wierd to a native speaker.

Unless of course your totally fluent, with an accent - which most people, Seiyuu or otherwise aren't.

My only niggle is when theres a LOT of it, such as the infamous Revy Engrish in Black Lagoon, which just sounded lousy... I cant imagine it sounded much cooler when it aired in Japan either..

Nov 20, 2008 3:08 PM

No, I don't expect the Japanese to be able to speak English flawlessly.
However what really bothers me is when the English VAs can't pronounce Japanese. But they normally do a decent job.

Nov 20, 2008 3:43 PM

I'm not saying japanese cast need to speak "Perfect english" But the classic example being Revy in second barrage she is suppose to be fluent in english and has ALOT of english lines but the pronounciation is not understandable that I had to read subtitles to get it I mean come on, it be better to get some foreign girl off the street to speak instead of Revy's voice actress... The only bad thing about second barrage was the poor english accents imo, I regret watching it in Japanese might watch it again in Dub.

Nov 20, 2008 4:53 PM

Who can forget the English speaking in BECK? Ugh.

Nov 20, 2008 5:08 PM

I didn't think the english in Beck was that bad. except for when the Japanese guy was singing english. That was horrible

Nov 20, 2008 6:54 PM

Probably the worst case of this I have seen is in Ai Yori Aoshi with Tina Foster's parents, who are supposed to be Americans who do not speak Japanese, but have an extremely thick japanese accent when speaking english.

Nov 20, 2008 7:22 PM

The english that the American girl from Genshiken spoke was god awful.
(づ°‿°.)づ

Nov 20, 2008 7:34 PM
does it really matter?

Nov 20, 2008 7:48 PM

I'm Asian, I live in an English speaking culture who's growing population can't even read or write engrish...

so when I watch anime and I hear them pronounce something in enganese(or someone's role is spose to be an english speaking chara), I more or so laugh about how funny some countries who don't have english as their native tongue speak our lingo, and I would rather prefer to hear them pronounce it wrong then have to watch a dub version of the anime

Nov 20, 2008 7:53 PM

Smasher said:
Morning Musume in English class

I was waiting for an opportunity to post this movie on this site ^_^ Be prepared, it's seriously funny... XD

'Refrigireetaaaa'
That was awesome, personally I want to be a voice actor and actually doing the role of a native English speaker in a Japanese dub sounds ideal. The only problem is my Japanese still has a very long way to go and it would require me leaving behind everyone I know.

#NBHNC

Nov 21, 2008 1:56 AM
It sounds funny thus I don't mind it.

Nov 21, 2008 2:42 AM

I don't mind all that much, as long as their are subtitles I'm fine =D

Nov 21, 2008 2:43 AM

Nowhere near as much as Americans butchering Japanese names in dubs.

Nov 21, 2008 2:46 AM

i think its damn funny XD

its even funnier when you hear chinese people in real life pronouncing german words at their best and still cant get rid of their accent

you may have noticed that some anime characters like to use german words (those in fate stay night for example)

in both cases its amusing, why would it bother me? i rather give them a plus point for being amusing

Nowhere near as much as Americans butchering Japanese names in dubs.

ya and americans talking german is priceless

Nov 21, 2008 3:08 AM

NO, it's just so god damn funny! XD and thank got they put subtitles. if they didn't.. i would be pissed.

Modified by SoraQuasar, Nov 21, 2008 3:12 AM

Nov 21, 2008 3:10 AM

Nov 21, 2008 3:13 AM

Neverender said:
http://www.youtube.com/v/_Bdq4e_S0ck&rel=1&rel=1">http://www.youtube.com/v/_Bdq4e_S0ck&rel=1&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355">

LOL XD F***** the f*** f*** f****

Nov 21, 2008 3:33 AM

Awesome XD

Nov 21, 2008 3:35 AM

On comedies it's hilarious but in action it just ruins the mood....

Nov 21, 2008 3:38 AM

Saty666 said:
On comedies it's hilarious but in action it just ruins the mood....

yeah, like in black lagoon XD

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »