Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 5, 2009 3:23 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
well that was weird and random. i didn't like it...
p r o f i l e đź‘€
Oct 24, 2009 5:52 PM

Jul 2008
well this time casshern didn't go on a mindless rampage and kill more innocent robots, just an army of evil ones
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Dec 1, 2009 9:28 AM

Jun 2008
This was the best episode so far. Loved the scene at the end and the song was nice.
Those robots are stupid. Even if they think that eating Casshern will save them can't they see that they have no chance to win against him? They only make there death come a lot faster.
Dec 2, 2009 9:56 AM
Oct 2009
Monad said:
This was the best episode so far. Loved the scene at the end and the song was nice.
Those robots are stupid. Even if they think that eating Casshern will save them can't they see that they have no chance to win against him? They only make there death come a lot faster.

I woudn't use the term "stupid", since they don't have much to lose and Casshern may be their only hope. But... yeah, they are still stupid. And I agree, that was the best episode so far for me too. This show is probably going to be in my Top 5 when I complete it =D
Dec 2, 2009 10:09 AM

Jun 2008
Tomah said:
Monad said:

I woudn't use the term "stupid", since they don't have much to lose and Casshern may be their only hope. But... yeah, they are still stupid. And I agree, that was the best episode so far for me too. This show is probably going to be in my Top 5 when I complete it =D

i don't know if it would be a top 5 but i will certainly give it a generous score. I love the atmosphere they built.
Next episode is also amazing, i think you will really like it.
Apr 1, 2010 11:59 AM
Jan 2010
I am watching this atm, 7 episodes in 2 days.... Same feeling like watching other masterpieces, I can't stop to watch it but at the same time my heart is in pain, knowing it has end...
Jul 21, 2010 3:24 AM

Jul 2010
Oh how I wish my jumps were that cool
Oct 8, 2010 10:01 AM

Dec 2008
Did Janice die after she finished her song?
When she told Casshern to "take her" I thought this anime was about to enter a totally different genre! LOL!!
Overall great ep, and I loved both songs that Janice sang.
Made me a little misty-eyed...
Dec 11, 2010 10:02 PM

Jul 2010
Didn't expect this episode to be so powerful, I already had a feeling it would become a Macross-like episode, but it still caught me off-guard. Very nice episode indeed.
Jul 14, 2012 10:31 PM

Jun 2012
The most beautiful episode of Casshern Sins I've seen to date.

The ending battle; Casshern against over a hundred robots; Lyuze helping out too; and Janice singing was just the greatest thing I've seen so far.
Jul 14, 2012 11:24 PM

Oct 2011
(DUB)

Whoa... this episode was pretty damn good. I'll have to watch it subbed later to compare the music.
Jul 15, 2012 2:40 AM

Jul 2008
that had to be caitlin glass singing.
Jul 18, 2012 9:37 PM

Oct 2011
i realy do not like music based anime's / episodes for some reason! ugh i didnt care for this ep
Jul 21, 2012 2:37 AM

Oct 2009
The singing sucked :/
Aug 15, 2012 3:26 PM
Feb 2012
this episode sucks
Aug 21, 2012 12:52 PM

Mar 2012
last few episodes have been pretty disappointing
May 16, 2013 11:49 PM
Aug 2011
Tychus said:
last few episodes have been pretty disappointing

This one and the previous one for me.

Though the visuals in this episode was spectacular.
Dec 21, 2013 9:57 AM

Aug 2012
Hope...

I love all the female characters in this show. Reminds me of Darker than Black.
Jan 15, 2014 11:54 PM

Nov 2013
That was beautiful but my god it threw me off when Janice started singing in English right the fuck out of nowhere.

Jan 15, 2014 11:57 PM

Nov 2013
What's with all the hate for this show? I absolutely loved this episode and would even go as far to say this was the best episode yet and still people complain that it isn't a Slice of Life anime with school girls and panty shots

Feb 21, 2014 10:30 AM

May 2012
That ending was quite lovely! The episode in general was a bit boring compared to the others but was still pretty nice.
Feb 27, 2014 5:19 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
When Janice suddenly started singing and stops the robots in their tracks I totally got Macross flashbacks "Minmay Attackkk!!"

Spectacular episode visually and the battle with the background of the singing was beautifully choreographed. Now having said that, the mood, setting and Casshern's character have been well defined. I'd like for the story to move forward now.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 18, 2014 7:43 PM

Jan 2013
*speechless*
Utterly brilliant episode..
That ending sequence was one of the best things I've seen. Period.
These past two episodes have been different for Casshern. He meets people who have hope amidst the ruin. This also serves as good character development for him. Like the past ep, he is shown that hope can win amidst the ruin, and that he shouldm't blame himself for what he has done apparently.
5/5
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Aug 26, 2014 1:07 AM

Nov 2011
slayer545-sama said:
JadeMatrix said:
Thirded

The scene at the pink lake (the environments in CS are always astounding and defy logic) was somehow very ballet-like in its surreal-ness. And we finally get to see Casshern use his hip (!) rockets.

I second that it's about time to see those rockets being used I was kind of sick seeing them only for decorations.

Fourthed/fifthed/sixthed

They definitely had an alright concept for the episode, but it somehow didn't go exactly as planned. The first song at the start was freaking bad. And the start of the second song she sang (lolol alliteration) was pure fucking weirdness. I don't know if she was tone-deaf or what. The song sung in Black Lagoon (I think with the Romanian kids) was more pleasing (though weirder because such a mature voice by a kid??? Seriously???) to hear.

That rocket-boost was awesome shit. Didn't know they were rockets, let alone usable at all.
Nov 29, 2014 8:16 PM

Jul 2014
Casshern Sins managed to capture the dark brooding atmosphere of Texhnolyze with the feelings given off by Ergo Proxy... That great mix is what drew me to this show but this disjointed episodic formula is getting on my nerves. If no overarching plot is revealed within it's run, this show will go from a 7 to 6 for me.
Apr 8, 2015 7:19 AM

Sep 2013
Apparently, English is the language of hope in apocalyptic times.
Jul 6, 2015 3:17 AM

Jul 2013
This episode made me glad that i decided to resurrect this old project. I started watching this show several years back but i stopped watching after the sixth episode.

With few changes i think this episode could have stand on it's own legs and would be have been good enough to be released as mini movie.
Sep 12, 2015 6:25 AM

Feb 2015
Amazing episode!
A true man never dies.
Nov 11, 2015 12:01 AM

Jan 2010

I don't dislike Casshern Sins, but I am bothered by how hard it tries to come across as profound. The desert field full of giant mics was questionable, as I wasn't exactly sure what that was implying. I get it's a music-based episode, but that just came across as a one-off bit trying to set the tone for the episode, which was already set when Janice halted that fight with the power of song. I would have never expected Casshern Sins to try something that corny, but I guess my expectations need adjustments.

Casshern Sins truly is in love with itself. That hit me when Ringo started crying silent tears as she looked on in awe at Janice, singing a melancholic "look into yourself" type of song as Casshern, Friender, and Lyuze were all fighting outside. It's one of those "horrors of the world" type of deals that's supposed to make you feel bad, but it's really transparent and blatant.

Yet, Casshern Sins continues to impress me nonetheless. I mean, this episode was gorgeous, and not through sheer prettiness and details. It's gritty and rough with hard lines and stark, washed out colors, yet it finds some way to glow through all that dirt and grime. The show's style is amazing, as it's so full of confidence in how it conducts itself. If I could have my way, I'd like more silence with a greater emphasis on traveling, rather than constant destinations + humanoid robots we're supposed to care about + generic robots scripted to get wrecked. I enjoy predictability and consistency, but since Casshern Sins is trying to drive an underlying plot, I'm not sure if the episodic setup is appropriate here. Again, as this show continues, I'm hoping for more episodes that are just on the road, rather than focusing around minor characters and landmarks. The world of Casshern Sins is a great and terrifying void, and I'd like to see more of it. But, I'm not the director, so all I can do is enjoy the ride.

Thinking over my gripes with the show though, they have to do with either dialogue or sounds. Perhaps I just like the way Casshern Sins looks and flows visually?
Dec 11, 2015 4:31 PM

Jul 2015
Well, unlike most people here, I loved the previous episode, but this one was... urg. Cheesy.
Dec 14, 2015 3:45 AM
Mar 2014
The singing was a bit random but hhhhnnng that voice was gorgeous.
Jan 4, 2016 12:35 AM

Jan 2013
Fantastic ending, pretty good singing if she wasn't a native english speaker.
Apr 17, 2016 8:10 AM

Sep 2013
I disagree with many people about this episode being bad. It's just like the other one.

For me this show so far is the path of Casshern to rediscover and redemption, all along the overcome of destruction through hope.
Jan 3, 2018 11:08 PM

Jul 2015
Now am I truly confident that we have heard the chimes at midnight, Master Shallow
Jan 8, 2018 6:29 PM
Jun 2016
I'm trying to remember, is this paralleling one from neo human where they were doing a concert or such knowing that the robot army was going to kill them, but still wanting to do the concert for people.
Jan 11, 2018 4:01 PM

Jun 2016
Beautiful episode.
The singing was a bit out of place the first time, but the second, at the ending, is perfect.
I really want Janice to stay around. The last time I really felt that way about one of the characters introduced in this show was in episode 2 or so that featured the guy with the stubble, but alas he died.
Jun 1, 2019 4:24 AM

Jul 2016
Boring episode tbh...
Apr 12, 2020 2:05 PM

Apr 2008
crying

I swear fans/watchers can ruin a series for me due to their comments.

I probably love Janice will all my heart and soul; I'm still listening to her music (Luize's VA; English dub is good to..I think it's Caitlin Glass?). She is one of the most enthusiastic thing-bots walking within this Ruin. She sings but she follows that her existence has meaning.

The only thing that's bothersome is that these meet ups with these "bots a day" doesn't seem to affect Casshern as he often mopes. Casshern needs to understand his "meaning" even if he feels lost.

(but I was kinda depressed too so I needed to hear that. "Existence as meaning".)
May 7, 2020 7:43 AM

Feb 2020
I started tearing up the moment Ringo did. That was seriously beautiful. Ringo's reaction is what ultimately made me cry because I got myself very attached to her, I love how she is the innocent heart in a world full of darkness (it's not often that kids in anime are portrayed in such an endearing manner), but the entire scene was mesmerising with Janice singing while Casshern is fighting outside, the one who brings hope and the one who brings despair...
I think Janice would get along well with the lady from last episode. It's too bad we didn't get a real conclusion for her story though, but I guess she'll soon die in the hands of the ruin.
This anime is definitely an hidden gem, why is the score so low ? It'd deserve so much more recognition.

(Reading the comments, I agree that this episode as a whole was a bit boring and cheesy but its message, as stereotypical as it is, was necessary in the context of the show. Each character Casshern encounters is important, and I think each episode manages to beautifully convey its message.)
Jan 23, 2021 6:26 PM
Dec 2019
I'm the type to love the singing in Red Garden, so it's no surprise I like it here.

Yes, the message is cheesy as hell. But whether or not it ultimately works is dependent on the execution. I like the visuals and the song is good, so it ends up as a positive in my book. Intellectually it's simple, but it appeals to the heart, which is far more important when making a series about dealing with a desolate existence.

As I said, appealing to the heart doesn't always work. Macross tried to do a similar thing but it's romance pop music, which is almost entirely superficial and lacking in emotional depth. Then you have various Gundam/Macross series trying to deliver sentimental anti-war messages which come off as laughable because they ignore the complicated political contexts. Here the context is simple enough that preaching "hope" doesn't run into that problem as much.
May 28, 2022 11:50 PM

Feb 2021
The way how they focused so much on the singing, I don't know...it just felt kind of pretentious
CrackMay 29, 2022 8:39 PM
Feb 16, 2023 8:13 AM

Sep 2017
time for casshern to accompany a singer.

it is dread all over

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Feb 15, 10:33 PM
Jul 2017
Perfect and fabuloss
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 22 Discussion

shoxk - Mar 8, 2009

36 by P_e_r_i »»
Dec 19, 2023 7:17 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 20 Discussion

dbaranyi - Feb 18, 2009

28 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 7, 2023 10:42 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Feb 4, 2009

93 by FireRifle64 »»
Dec 2, 2023 7:59 PM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 16, 2008

94 by FireRifle64 »»
Nov 24, 2023 9:21 AM

Poll: » Casshern Sins Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

dbaranyi - Mar 16, 2009

179 by -Xenophon- »»
Oct 24, 2023 12:07 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.