Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 19, 2012 11:16 AM

Aug 2010
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
I'd say it was a perfect ending.
Dec 19, 2012 2:13 PM

Mar 2008
koleare said:

you gave its a 3 and still say a perfect ending...
i call bullshit. what do you really think?
i think this story had a lot more potential but feel like the author got tired and ended it.
overall i'd say the ending was just ok since it didn't leave any holes in the story but still didn't live up to the rest of the manga.
nate23nate23Dec 19, 2012 2:19 PM

" Only God can judge me" - Tupac
Dec 19, 2012 3:11 PM
Aug 2012
nate23nate23 said:
koleare said:

i think this story had a lot more potential but feel like the author got tired and ended it.
overall i'd say the ending was just ok since it didn't leave any holes in the story but still didn't live up to the rest of the manga.
nate23nate23 said:
koleare said:

Why do you say that? Lol I only say that because I though the storyline and the way it was presented was amazing.
"届どいた....手紙?" - スワ(オレンジ)
Dec 19, 2012 5:18 PM

Sep 2011
not a perfect ending but it was good, at least he is still with katagiri
Dec 19, 2012 10:57 PM

Aug 2010
nate23nate23 said:
koleare said:

Why do you assume it was me who gave it a 3? I don't score in episode/chapter discussions.

Indeed, it had more potential, but only at the start of the manga. I think the ending was pretty good. The pacing was nice, didn't see any loopholes, no questions remained unanswered really and psychologically speaking, it's good to see Kazama being able to stop thinking about the past only.

While I don't think the ending is a straight 10, I do think it was perfect for the story. Albeit, if the story was constructed a bit more since start, a better ending could've been presented to us.
Dec 22, 2012 12:54 PM

Mar 2008
koleare said:
nate23nate23 said:
koleare said:

Why do you assume it was me who gave it a 3? I don't score in episode/chapter discussions.

Indeed, it had more potential, but only at the start of the manga. I think the ending was pretty good. The pacing was nice, didn't see any loopholes, no questions remained unanswered really and psychologically speaking, it's good to see Kazama being able to stop thinking about the past only.

While I don't think the ending is a straight 10, I do think it was perfect for the story. Albeit, if the story was constructed a bit more since start, a better ending could've been presented to us.

my bad, lol. I though i was being smart when i seen there was only one vote and your post when i made that.
now i sound and feel like a dumbass, lol.
I couldn't agree more with your assessment.

" Only God can judge me" - Tupac
Dec 23, 2012 10:12 PM

Feb 2010
My Girl has always been brought up with Usagi Drop, at least the first part of UD.

This artstyle was smoothingly soft and easy on the eye. It works for this kind of story, it was also gorgeous too. At times I felt Koharu being too mature for her age, I get the fact that she's from a single-parent background and has always seek to reduce her loved ones burden. Being kind and considerate is one thing, it just that some of her dialogue is rather profound for her young age.

Overall, I like this series. The pacing of the story and its content was good, it wasn't just Koharu and Masamume, it also brought in and intergrate perfectly with other perspective like Masamune's mother. They did warped up the ending and devoted a considerable amount of chapter for Kagari/Masamune's conclusion. The last 2 chapter, 44 & 45, felt a bit rushed in comparison with the previous chapter of this arc.

8/10 ;)
Dec 24, 2012 8:42 PM
Aug 2012
Well you know atleast the little girl and guy didnt get married.... trolol
"届どいた....手紙?" - スワ(オレンジ)
Mar 1, 2013 10:16 PM

Jun 2012
muntasir123 said:

I was hoping for that..

Felt rushed at the end but it was a beautiful ending. Happy to see he was finally able to move on. Koharu looked so grown up at the end :')

8/10
Jun 9, 2013 11:30 AM

Aug 2012
I think Koharu is intentionally made to sound so profound time to time, I think she is the authors voice and is used to underline the adults. The way I see it it's a story about the adults, especially Masamune rather than Koharu even if the title is "My girl".

I also think that the story could have ended with the chapter 42. The last two chapters were nice, but sort of like extras.
Aug 3, 2013 1:01 AM

May 2010
figuette said:
I think Koharu is intentionally made to sound so profound time to time, I think she is the authors voice and is used to underline the adults. The way I see it it's a story about the adults, especially Masamune rather than Koharu even if the title is "My girl".

I also think that the story could have ended with the chapter 42. The last two chapters were nice, but sort of like extras.

I agree, towards the end it felt like the manga could have ended in any of those chapters. I was looking forward to a more satisfying closure, but this will suffice I suppose.
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 18, 2013 6:37 AM

May 2010
Just when I'm beginning to dislike Masamune, the manga ended and it was pretty good.
Overall, 8/10. Koharu's so mature, she doesn't give me the little kid vibe.. Oh but she's so adorable.

Jan 28, 2014 3:43 AM

Mar 2012
so in the end Masamune move forward and preapre to introduce Katagiri
to his parents

and Koharu already Middle Schooler

Good Ending

and it's End ; ;

Final Score for this series 9/10

:)
Jan 30, 2014 1:40 PM

Feb 2010
muntasir123 said:

the would have been best end tbh
Feb 23, 2014 1:20 AM

Jan 2013
A wonderful way to end this..
Masamune finally was able to overcome his lingering feelings towards Youko. As always, Koharu looks adoring! XD
This is what Usagi drop should have been. I hope this manga gets animated one day.

9/10 ( could've spend a few more chapters on the side characters; Koharu's maturity at her age was off the charts )
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 3, 2014 1:47 AM

Dec 2008
The ending was good but I would have been even happier for koharu and masamune to stay as just the two them since I felt that both of them at the end were forcing themselves to like katagari and that they would have been happy with the memory and love of youko.
Apr 26, 2014 1:44 AM

Oct 2013
That was a cute ending but it could have been much better. Alright, I'm gonna rate this one 10/10 because I loved it throughout. It's just a masterpiece out there.
Jun 7, 2014 6:41 PM

Oct 2013
I'm sad this manga has ended...

Koharu was so mature for her age, but she was cute. I want a kid like her (and a wife like Youko lol).
Jul 10, 2014 5:48 AM

Sep 2013
I really loved this manga. It made me really think about a parent's love for his or her child and how I'm treating the time I have with my own parents. The entire manga was wonderful but this chapter and the ending felt very abrupt. I was hoping for a little more and maybe to feel a little more closure. All and all, really enjoyed it. 9/10 final score.
Nov 4, 2014 9:18 PM

Jul 2012
It was great! So many good messages and themes presented. 8/10

Makes me really respect the SOL genre. I need to watch Usagi Drop ASAP!!
Feb 6, 2015 4:16 PM

Nov 2011
Aww the finale chapter was so short compared to the rest. But still, an overall good effort to convey the themes and premise of the series. The story itself also had a lot of feelings with a wide range spectrum of relationship dynamics.

Good series overall, 7/10.
Jul 9, 2015 6:50 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Confucius said:
figuette said:

I agree, towards the end it felt like the manga could have ended in any of those chapters. I was looking forward to a more satisfying closure, but this will suffice I suppose.

Agree, while enjoyable, I was expecting a more after story epilogue, I also really wanted to see koharu at different ages and calling masamune, dad...
Still a great read, surely made itself a place to be in my heart. :)
PlaycoolJul 9, 2015 7:11 PM
Jul 20, 2015 3:07 PM

Jun 2014
Great epilogue.

Very enjoyable sol, I liked all the characters. Just kinda hate it when the story turned to romance. But I'm glad Masumune handled it properly since It looked like they were still going out after the timeskip. I wonder if Koharu passed the entrance exam in her mom's middle schoo though.
Feb 12, 2017 8:27 PM

Oct 2016
Good ending! Too bad the author didn't put extra scenes where Katagiri is pregnant and Koharu is expecting her little sibling.

That would be perfect.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Feb 24, 2017 10:58 AM

Dec 2014
Eh, I was hoping it was going to keep going until Koharu was an adult. The last few chapters wasn't as good as the others but I'm glad I read this. It was very heartwarming and made me tear up a few times. In the end though I feel something is missing and that makes me feel empty inside.

7/10
Mar 24, 2017 3:58 PM

Aug 2014
Great place to end. Wouldn't want to overextend like a certain similar manga.

Though it may not always be easy to write children that act their age, Koharu's pretty extreme at times. Still really liked this one.
Sieg Zeon!
May 29, 2017 8:23 AM
May 2017
SPOILERS YE BE WARNED

I'll admit I was a bit thrown at how abruptly it ended, I thought it would have went on for a bit more.

Moreover, I half-expected him to end up with the laundromat woman. From a writer's perspective, it felt like Katagiri was being set up to be a failure and then he would somehow work his way back to the laundromat woman. I guess in the end my expectations were doubly subverted, haha.

ButAtLeastHeDidn'tMarryHisDaughter.jpg
Sep 3, 2017 11:54 PM
Aug 2017
RobertNAdams said:
SPOILERS YE BE WARNED

I'll admit I was a bit thrown at how abruptly it ended, I thought it would have went on for a bit more.

Moreover, I half-expected him to end up with the laundromat woman. From a writer's perspective, it felt like Katagiri was being set up to be a failure and then he would somehow work his way back to the laundromat woman. I guess in the end my expectations were doubly subverted, haha.

ButAtLeastHeDidn'tMarryHisDaughter.jpg

he will never end up with the laundromat woman
Mar 13, 2018 8:11 AM

Dec 2017
a good read to be honest. can be really sad at times, but can be really heartwarming too. a simple perfect read, not too long either. i dont like seeing something got like this getting millked way too long. the part when Katagiri and Masamune is exhausted in front of patrol office for me is suitable for the ending.

in the end, they’re together and that’s what matters, all iam rooting for is Koharu so i dont really care with who Masamune’s with.

and the artstyle is cute, i guess it’s better than Usagi Drop and on par with Amaama to Inazuma.

9/10 need more Koharu
Feb 13, 2019 9:09 AM
Nov 2018
This one was good, a series to go back to when you need a series to heal. Although the ending did seem a bit rushed and out of nowhere, I think a few more chapters could of been added showing the dad finally being able to let go and maybe see Koharu grow up a bit more. all things considered this was a decent ending to a great series. Definitely will be coming back to this one in the future. Also the ending panel with Koharu, Katagiri, and Masamune holding hands was great, would of loved to see how close they gotten in a chapter and how they all ended up to that point but oh well it was still great.
omiguy89Feb 13, 2019 9:15 AM
Feb 27, 2021 6:45 PM
May 2017
I like the ending its good Its not a perfect 10 but it's still wholesome like usagi drop(until the 2nd half start so bs) im glad he still with katagiri.
May 12, 2021 8:37 AM

May 2019
It was very mature, wholesome, taught life lesson. Perfect.
Jul 22, 2021 8:30 AM
Jul 2017
This was the first manga I finished, before I didn't read manga and I started collecting them recently. I really like the theme of this manga, I've watched some movies with the same theme, to be honest, this manga for me, of all the stories on this theme I've read, this manga was the best of all stories, it was highlighted by several characters even when not necessary, good development of the main characters and I didn't think it was rushed at all, everything developed well and calmly, with no time skip and the ending, with Koharu-chan's grandfather remembering when she "arrived" in their lives , it was amazing to see this point of view and the conclusion of the story so subtly. I really loved the manga!
Oct 13, 2021 6:27 AM
Apr 2018
Initially felt the story might have gone in loops but loved how it picked up as the story progressed. Really wished for a more fleshed out ending but a great read nonetheless
Jan 1, 2022 7:06 AM

Mar 2020
I mean, the ending was kinda mehh to be honest... I was expecting them to marry and maybe even give a brother/sister to Koharu. I will still rate it as a 10, cause it is a masterpiece, and have it on my first place on favorites, but it was kinda a deception, not only but mainly the last chapter.

"I wonder if anything will ever change? Will that day ever come?"
- Okazaki, Tomoya
"Nothing can stay unchanged. Fun things… Happy things…
They can’t possibly remain the same."
- Furukawa, Nagisa
Mar 3, 2022 8:06 AM

May 2020
This manga was kind of eh. It’s cute but wasn’t as good as I expected to me. The constant timeskips made me lose interest and I wasn’t really invested in the characters. Koharu was cute though.
Dec 30, 2022 8:19 AM

Apr 2021
The first 30 chapters were quite good and emotional but the whole Katagiri thing in the last 14 chapters didn't work for me at all. There is 0 chemistry between Masamune and her  and never once does he have anything positive to say about her. He seems to give her a try to satisfy his parents and his daughter and it looks pretty awful to me. I don't buy at all the happy relationship in the end, nothing seems to imply that it can go that way during all the chapters. In the end, he chooses the first girl that confess to him by default and I find that terribly sad, for her as for him.
I see a lot of differences with Usagi Drop too. The context is completely different and if at least the first part of Usagi Drop is to watch the two characters getting used to each other and learning how to be father and daughter, here, the manga is much more about learning how to cope with the past trauma. After the 3rd chapter, Masamune is already the perfect father : knows how to cook, how to sew, is always on time, etc. The goals of the two mangas are clearly different (and both do not deliver in a satisfying way in the end to me).
Yesterday, 4:34 PM

Oct 2015
What a ride, the series made me tear up several times. Although I'm not a fan of the Katagiri dynamic, I still appreciate the ending.
I really like the author, but I can't get over the way she draws ears from the front. They look a little funny, but it's really endearing to me.
Tired, always tired!

More topics from this board

Poll: » My Girl Chapter 2 Discussion

ZinnKid - May 1, 2008

7 by robal15 »»
Jan 26, 3:53 AM

Poll: » My Girl Chapter 30 Discussion

Goku1994 - Jul 12, 2012

9 by nushrathumaira »»
Apr 2, 2023 4:14 PM

Poll: » My Girl Chapter 9 Discussion

adamantine - Nov 8, 2009

6 by LittleWhiteHerz »»
Jan 12, 2022 8:21 PM

» Chapter 34 - Clarification

codesta147 - Jan 1, 2022

0 by codesta147 »»
Jan 1, 2022 10:53 AM

Poll: » My Girl Chapter 40 Discussion

hugrim - Jul 22, 2021

0 by hugrim »»
Jul 22, 2021 7:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.