Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Post New Reply
Dec 19, 2012 5:21 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 20
Jrittmayer said:

Seriously, pirating is outdated, with prices dropping like stones half the time there really is no reason to, especially if you consider yourself a gamer.

*waits for incoming flame war of idiotic counter arguments to justify piracy*


*have some fuel for flame war ;)*

That is not penultimate truth for whole world. Imagine there are other countries there - すごい! - and prices are different, wages are different, taxes are different, et cetera. I know that no one is entitled to something for free just because he owns a computer or console but people can't live without entertainment. If they can financially cover their primary needs of food and place to sleep of course.

In my country, you can't afford more than one game monthly for minimal pay - and that is what most people get. I'm not justifying piracy, it takes potential money from developers - and they have their own families.

Though, it is just like I said - potential money. It doesn't take a genius to know that if piracy wouldn't be possible, players would play free games available (flash, freeware, f2p mmo) instead. Maybe 10% would buy a new game. Maybe even 15%. But that is not really money for big companies. A spare change at best.

It is not black and white topic. I would say it is shade of gray, with no ultimate truth.
 
Dec 20, 2012 2:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 107
Not sure if this has already been stated, but I'm going to post anyway, because the OP rustled my jimmies.

Back then, they had to make physical copies of the games with cartridges, then ship to the store, which then they had to sell within a physical store (which they pay for) in order for the game to get to the consumer. All these costs more or less made the games more expensive, in order for the publishers to make a profit.

Now you just burn the code onto a disk, package it in a plastic case, and, well, still ship it to the store.
Here's the thing though. While you still have the cost of the middle man (the store, which will soon be nothing but GameStop, and maybe BestBuy), the cost of creating the product has gone down. Prices are still stagnant instead of decreasing though.

And now for the worst of it, buying licenses online (i.e. via Steam). When you buy a game to download, you don't get the game, legally you only get the fucking license to play it. This is even worse, because not only do you not get a physical copy, but there is no need for the publisher or distribute to pay for anything physical, just the bandwidth to transfer it, and you still pay a god damn $60. God forbid they add sales tax.

This is why I think it's wrong now.

 
Dec 20, 2012 7:12 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 2435
JakeTiDe said:
Jrittmayer said:

Seriously, pirating is outdated, with prices dropping like stones half the time there really is no reason to, especially if you consider yourself a gamer.

*waits for incoming flame war of idiotic counter arguments to justify piracy*


*have some fuel for flame war ;)*

That is not penultimate truth for whole world. Imagine there are other countries there - すごい! - and prices are different, wages are different, taxes are different, et cetera. I know that no one is entitled to something for free just because he owns a computer or console but people can't live without entertainment. If they can financially cover their primary needs of food and place to sleep of course.

In my country, you can't afford more than one game monthly for minimal pay - and that is what most people get. I'm not justifying piracy, it takes potential money from developers - and they have their own families.

Though, it is just like I said - potential money. It doesn't take a genius to know that if piracy wouldn't be possible, players would play free games available (flash, freeware, f2p mmo) instead. Maybe 10% would buy a new game. Maybe even 15%. But that is not really money for big companies. A spare change at best.

It is not black and white topic. I would say it is shade of gray, with no ultimate truth.


Sorry, what I said applies mainly to Americans. Yes, it's not universally true, but it's true in the United States, where the majority of the users on this site are from and a large portion of those who claim to be pirates.
 
Dec 20, 2012 9:41 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 4876
Nidstang said:
Regicide said:
games cost a retarded amount in japan lols like 80$+


It's way too much, in my oppinion. I wouldn't buy even if I wanted to lol.


You don't live in Japan, make Japanese money, or in anyway ruled by the economy in Japan. The cost of living in Japan is high. After money conversions the cost of most anything in Japan will be higher than whatever domestically priced comparable item.


Anyway. Games have mostly been priced 49.99 before gen6 and then most common price for a new game became 59.99. An increase? Sure. Do people still complain about this increase 5 or so years after it happened enough to make a complaint thread about them? I guess...

 
Dec 20, 2012 1:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 4409
I still think Digital Downloads are entirely bullshit at 60 bucks. but from what I heard it's not really the choice of digital disturbers to keep it there, it's mostly because brick and mortar that stores like Gamestop and Walmart because they are the biggest disturbers period and if Publishers allow Digital Versions to be sold for less, they simply refuse to stock the game in store and won't put in on the new release wall.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.
 
Dec 20, 2012 2:53 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2012
Posts: 4736
I can't afford a fraction of what I play.

 
Dec 20, 2012 6:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 173
Doesn't' matter, couldn't afford them then and I can't afford them now.
 
Dec 20, 2012 7:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1646
For everyone who complain about the cost of anything now

Inflation. It happens. Adjust for it, and you'll find that pretty much everything is cheaper now than it ever was.
 
Dec 20, 2012 7:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 233
AbstractCalamity said:
For everyone who complain about the cost of anything now

Inflation. It happens. Adjust for it, and you'll find that pretty much everything is cheaper now than it ever was.

It is the truth. People were making $5-6 an hour minimum wage in the US while games were $60. People now make at least $7.50 (I think) and games are still $60. It's cheaper.

Edit: except for gas prices in the US. Still more expensive when adjusted for inflation.
^_^
 
Dec 22, 2012 6:02 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 3940
I hear that once the Xbox 720 and PS4 come out (if they do), the games will be $80. Not only that, they will be connected to your account or something, so they cannot be sold used or something at a cheaper price by owners.

 
Dec 24, 2012 10:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 2823
_Saburo_ said:
I hear that once the Xbox 720 and PS4 come out (if they do), the games will be $80. Not only that, they will be connected to your account or something, so they cannot be sold used or something at a cheaper price by owners.

If they plan on upping the graphics, they're going to have to make up for it by upping the price.
 
Dec 24, 2012 10:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 31882
_Saburo_ said:
I hear that once the Xbox 720 and PS4 come out (if they do), the games will be $80. Not only that, they will be connected to your account or something, so they cannot be sold used or something at a cheaper price by owners.
Thats going to be BS until officially announced, same shit was said about this generation, technically the account thing happened with steam but whatever

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

 
Dec 24, 2012 10:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 25188
feder said:
_Saburo_ said:
I hear that once the Xbox 720 and PS4 come out (if they do), the games will be $80. Not only that, they will be connected to your account or something, so they cannot be sold used or something at a cheaper price by owners.

If they plan on upping the graphics, they're going to have to make up for it by upping the price.


I heard that the specs of Orbis and Durango won't be no better than current gen consoles for the most part, and games that will have a graphic leap will be a nightmare to develop on the Orbis and Durango due to the shifting hardware being more complicated, it's similar to how the Sega Saturn fared and the Atari Jaguar. The chances of a game pushing the hardware to it's limits during it's lifecycle are slim to none.


 
Dec 24, 2012 10:37 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 4585
Hoppy said:
feder said:
_Saburo_ said:
I hear that once the Xbox 720 and PS4 come out (if they do), the games will be $80. Not only that, they will be connected to your account or something, so they cannot be sold used or something at a cheaper price by owners.

If they plan on upping the graphics, they're going to have to make up for it by upping the price.


I heard that the specs of Orbis and Durango won't be no better than current gen consoles for the most part, and games that will have a graphic leap will be a nightmare to develop on the Orbis and Durango due to the shifting hardware being more complicated, it's similar to how the Sega Saturn fared and the Atari Jaguar. The chances of a game pushing the hardware to it's limits during it's lifecycle are slim to none.
I heard they're both going to have AMD processors, which will be easier to code for than the PS3's Cell.


 
Dec 24, 2012 11:08 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 1081
Jrittmayer said:
Seriously, pirating is outdated, with prices dropping like stones half the time there really is no reason to, especially if you consider yourself a gamer.

*waits for incoming flame war of idiotic counter arguments to justify piracy*


I enjoy my games without excessive amounts of DRM, preventing me from playing games that I bought without being connected to the internet. I also enjoy having the full game on release, without needing to fork over an extra £20+ to get all of the features, which were stripped (or inaccessible on the disc you own) before release and announced as extra DLC before the game is even out.

But oh no, it's the pirates! They're killing the industry!

This shit has become common practise in the gaming industry.
Modified by Trapalicious, Dec 24, 2012 11:15 AM
 
Dec 24, 2012 11:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 19408
I really don't understand why I should give money even if the price is low...

No money, full game with all DLC's... I'll just laugh at you wasting your money.

The single game I bought was Warcraft 3, and that was because at first I pirated it, I thought it was gods message to me that Blizzard is awesome (until WoW) so I thought of helping them out, oh how ignorant I was at the time.




Autocrat said:
Hitler was good, objectively.
 
Dec 25, 2012 9:11 AM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 586
New games usually comes out for 100$ in Sweden which is way too much. So I usually wait a few months with buying it
 
Top
Pages (2) « 1 [2]