Forum Settings
Forums
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Nov 19, 2008 2:16 PM

Aug 2008
Baman said:
Which leads us to the point of gender depictions in MMO's. I usually find it slightly unsettling seeing how many males play as girls. Some say they'd rather watch a Nightelf chick's ass wagging back and forth than some guy's and In see their point, but I always have to wonder whether they've rally got some deep dark secret about their gender identity...
I always played a male character, but sometimes people guess I'm female anyway :(
Nov 19, 2008 2:17 PM

Mar 2008
To annoy me, plan and simple.

Which is why I have my age on my profile for all to see, so they don't get annoyed.

@LAZY people who not want to go to my profile and look for my age in my details: I'm NINETEEN (19) years old, I'll be turning TWENTY (20) years old on January 18, 2009.

EDIT: Oh, and my Birthdate is January 18, 1989.
KidRyanNov 19, 2008 2:22 PM

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan
Nov 19, 2008 2:19 PM

Apr 2007
I find it funny that someone actually deleted their post after my comment :P
Nov 19, 2008 2:20 PM

Jun 2008
If am not mistaken you can't just put your age in your profile but you have to put the day the month and the year. Now your country and even your town or your area can be easily traced by your IP your server and staff. Your gender not that hard ether. With a little basic knowledge of psychology and by viewing all the post of a certain individual you can easily discover if it's male or female. So you know the area and the gender of someone but still in a big populated place not easy to trace. But if you knew how old it is and not just the age since there might be a lot of people of the same age in certain areas but you knew the exact day of birth then your list of suspects is really low. After that with a little personal search and questioning in that area is not that hard to find the one you are looking for. So basically the exact day of your birth with your age is the hardest part that keeps a crazy guy from finding you.
Nov 19, 2008 2:28 PM

Feb 2008
Question: Why do people hide their age [on MAL]?
Answer: Paranoia.
Nov 19, 2008 2:32 PM

Oct 2008
terrorism is the reason.
Nov 19, 2008 2:41 PM

May 2008
I don't have it in my profile, but I'm 17. I never "hid" the fact, I just have not put absolutely any thought into whether or not it's on my profile, and don't see why it's relevant. I figure almost everyone here is somewhere beetween 12-30 anyway, the lions' share probably being around 14-22.
Nov 19, 2008 2:43 PM

Oct 2007
Maybe the older people are embarassed to be caught watching anime. I don't mind really myself. I know 27 is quite old, but there are some people on this site who are same age or even older then me. Also I don't get embarassed easily :-P

"Thousands have lived without love, not one without water." -Wystan Hugh
Nov 19, 2008 2:45 PM

Oct 2008
you can never too old to watch anime. that's just prejudice.
Nov 19, 2008 3:19 PM

Aug 2008
Frito said:
you can never too old to watch anime. that's just prejudice.
Yeah, I don't agree with people who say older folks hide because it's an embarrassing hobby or that they are ashamed. It's the internet--you're anonymous anyway. I know lots of people my age with other types of "embarrassing" hobbies. It's not a big deal.
Nov 19, 2008 3:33 PM

Mar 2008
Either they're older peoplee, or younger people, or people who really don't care to put their age up or even year of birth. That is how i view it.
Moving on. <=.=>
Nov 19, 2008 11:03 PM

Dec 2007
Baman said:
Peralisc said:
I also thought everyone knew about the countles fat virgin WOW players that tell you they are lesbian girls ...

Wait, you find that type of people in any MMORPG

Which leads us to the point of gender depictions in MMO's. I usually find it slightly unsettling seeing how many males play as girls. Some say they'd rather watch a Nightelf chick's ass wagging back and forth than some guy's and In see their point, but I always have to wonder whether they've rally got some deep dark secret about their gender identity...

In WoW it doesn't really matter what gender you take, it all looks kinda retarded. In Perfect World Online I tried a female character, but I got harassed by fucktons of horny teenagers that just hit puberty.

In LineAge 2 I had several female characters, and to answer your question, I did it because I really liked the looks of it. The thing is, I have to look at that character all the time I play, so I choose something I find nice to look at. However, I do not find it hot. Regardless of how good the graphics are, game characters aren't realistic enough for me to be attracted by it. Anime characters on the other hand, is just something that belongs to my culture, so sometimes I find them rather attractive.
Nov 19, 2008 11:07 PM

Nov 2007
I have my reasons for not showing my age. One of them: People shouldn't care.
StephanBlackhawkNov 19, 2008 11:13 PM
sad
Nov 19, 2008 11:27 PM

Sep 2008
This is a site about anime, your age just shows how long you've lived since you'd realize the greatest thing that's ever happened to the computer (and maybe the t.v.) since the invention of THE T.V.! and that is indeed... anime. haha.

quite frankly I don't really give a crap about people's age on an anime website. I mean it'll help to know what I can talk about with that person (cause age reflects school level), but honestly who would care?

MAL is a place to show how much you love anime, and so why would you fear someone knowing how old you are?
What isn't red? What isn't blue?
Nov 20, 2008 1:24 AM

Jan 2008
SkiesOfBlue said:
This is a site about anime, your age just shows how long you've lived since you'd realize the greatest thing that's ever happened to the computer (and maybe the t.v.) since the invention of THE T.V.! and that is indeed... anime. haha.

quite frankly I don't really give a crap about people's age on an anime website. I mean it'll help to know what I can talk about with that person (cause age reflects school level), but honestly who would care?

MAL is a place to show how much you love anime, and so why would you fear someone knowing how old you are?

pedophiles....

Baman said:
Peralisc said:
I also thought everyone knew about the countles fat virgin WOW players that tell you they are lesbian girls ...

Wait, you find that type of people in any MMORPG

well i would much rather have my super elite body (which happens to be female) than anything else, but it can get confusing at times.......i do sometimes forget what i look like and that i dont sound like a cute Japanese anime girl....and thats sad IMO

Zero-PrimeNov 20, 2008 1:28 AM
Nov 20, 2008 1:50 AM

Nov 2007
Monad said:
With a little basic knowledge of psychology and by viewing all the post of a certain individual you can easily discover if it's male or female.

Off topic, but this caught my attention, because it's nonsense. I'm still regularly mistaken for a male, and numerous other people around here are too. I see it all the time in posts and on IRC, people saying he, his, him, dude, man etc etc. I know some of it are people who are simply oblivious to the fact there is actually another gender out there, but some of it is just outright stupidity, especially when most people in question do actually have their gender on their profile, and never address themselves in masculine ways.

Just because we make some comment about a female character being cute or some snide remark about a loli or whatever else, zomg, only dudes care about cuteness and lolis! Whatever. >.>

People get it wrong all the time. It's not 'a little basic knowledge'. It requires quite serious analysis in some cases. I could very easily pass as a male if I didn't make an effort to correct people when they address me as one. Though I've stopped caring about that for the mostpart these days. Not worth the effort anymore.
Nov 20, 2008 2:13 AM

Jun 2008
Asako said:
Monad said:
With a little basic knowledge of psychology and by viewing all the post of a certain individual you can easily discover if it's male or female.

Off topic, but this caught my attention, because it's nonsense. I'm still regularly mistaken for a male, and numerous other people around here are too. I see it all the time in posts and on IRC, people saying he, his, him, dude, man etc etc. I know some of it are people who are simply oblivious to the fact there is actually another gender out there, but some of it is just outright stupidity, especially when most people in question do actually have their gender on their profile, and never address themselves in masculine ways.

Just because we make some comment about a female character being cute or some snide remark about a loli or whatever else, zomg, only dudes care about cuteness and lolis! Whatever. >.>

People get it wrong all the time. It's not 'a little basic knowledge'. It requires quite serious analysis in some cases. I could very easily pass as a male if I didn't make an effort to correct people when they address me as one. Though I've stopped caring about that for the mostpart these days. Not worth the effort anymore.

You are wrong because even though people might confuse your gender none of them has actually sit down and studied all your post and your way of thinking and talking. I could also easily make a mistake about someone gender while we talk in the forums because i don't pay much attention most of the time. But if i really wanted to concentrate on finding that persons gender then i will find it.
Nov 20, 2008 2:22 AM

Jan 2008
Monad said:
Asako said:
Monad said:

You are wrong because even though people might confuse your gender none of them has actually sit down and studied all your post and your way of thinking and talking. I could also easily make a mistake about someone gender while we talk in the forums because i don't pay much attention most of the time. But if i really wanted to concentrate on finding that persons gender then i will find it.

no dude i dont think you could if the person didnt want to tell you, its just a guess untill some kind of rl interface can be established....
Nov 20, 2008 2:27 AM

Sep 2007
Zero-Prime said:
Monad said:
Asako said:
Monad said:

no dude i dont think you could if the person didnt want to tell you, its just a guess untill some kind of rl interface can be established....

I find it easier to just assume a person hiding their gender is a female or someone who's gay/lesbian. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other reason for a person to hide ones gender.
Nov 20, 2008 2:44 AM

Oct 2008
I think younger users tend to hide their age because they fear of being ridiculed or looked down upon by older users and older users tend to hide their age because they fear of being judged because of posting in an anime website. As many of you know, anime is associated with kids and that's a big misconception.
Nov 20, 2008 2:49 AM

Jan 2008
Roxkis said:
Zero-Prime said:
Monad said:
Asako said:
Monad said:

I find it easier to just assume a person hiding their gender is a female or someone who's gay/lesbian. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other reason for a person to hide ones gender.

i find it easier to assume that everyones a man.....who cares about sexual orientation either way as long as their happy right? thats why every one is a dude or a man sounds better that saying sis or girlfreind...that just sounds lame..oh theres that new one thats poped up where people say HOMIE...i dont like that one....i prefer DAWG
Nov 20, 2008 8:05 AM

Feb 2005
Zero-Prime said:
well i would much rather have my super elite body (which happens to be female) than anything else, but it can get confusing at times.......i do sometimes forget what i look like and that i dont sound like a cute Japanese anime girl....and thats sad IMO

Lots of weird and terrifying pictures pop up in my mind now. ._.
Nov 20, 2008 8:10 AM

Feb 2008
I used to hide it before when I was 14-15 because of the prejudice I would get from older people. Now that I'm slightly older I don't really care anymore.
Nov 20, 2008 8:13 AM

Jan 2008
Baman said:
Zero-Prime said:

Lots of weird and terrifying pictures pop up in my mind now. ._.

sorry NEO BAHAMUT :(

ooooooh im interested in what kind of images they are ^_^ are they as sick as 4chan ?
Nov 20, 2008 8:42 AM

Feb 2005
Zero-Prime said:

ooooooh im interested in what kind of images they are ^_^ are they as sick as 4chan ?

They're getting there. So long as it doesn't stop by Gurochan.
Nov 20, 2008 8:45 AM

Jan 2008
Baman said:
Zero-Prime said:

They're getting there. So long as it doesn't stop by Gurochan.

i really dont know what to say about gurochan.......except it just....makes me sick.

SHITTINGDICKNIPPLES didnt really do my head any good either
Nov 20, 2008 8:48 AM

Apr 2008
Zero-Prime said:

SHITTINGDICKNIPPLES didnt really do my head any good either

Oh god why did I lol
Nov 20, 2008 9:17 AM

Jun 2008
well, it's because of the image pushed on people by the media. Everyone has to be young, good-looking, ... This is most true for women, that's why they are more sensitive than men. Also, men (used to) select their women on looks, women on stability.
Nov 20, 2008 9:47 AM

Oct 2008
seriously people who hide their age are just cautious. no biggie, at least they won't have pedo's stalking them.
Nov 20, 2008 6:28 PM

Apr 2008
some people do it to avoid online stalker and to seperate there real identities from the web. Some do it pick up on girls i guess

Nov 20, 2008 6:32 PM

May 2008
Frequencity said:
sometimes I look at ppls profiles and mistake their join date for their birth date. then I realize I'm a fucking idiot.

Lol yeah I do the same...

but I really wish people would put their age as well. It makes the connections feel more personal, and you get an idea of what to talk about and how to talk about it
Nov 21, 2008 2:40 AM

Oct 2007
Maglor said:
well, it's because of the image pushed on people by the media. Everyone has to be young, good-looking, ... This is most true for women, that's why they are more sensitive than men. Also, men (used to) select their women on looks, women on stability.

also men dont discriminate eachother as long as they all drink much ...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 21, 2008 7:07 AM

Sep 2008
Some people don't like to give out any person information no matter how insignificant it is. Or they might just wanna lead a double life online.
Jan 16, 2009 6:15 AM

Dec 2008
I have no idea. I think it's stupid

& &
Jan 17, 2021 12:41 PM
Jul 2018
when people have nothing else to say, they use your age to dismiss your argument.
Jan 17, 2021 1:01 PM

Oct 2010
13 year old thread
anyways, age is just a number on the internet
Jan 17, 2021 4:16 PM

Apr 2020
Catalano said:
age is just a number

Based

Jan 17, 2021 4:29 PM

Feb 2019
This is a pretty old thread. I don't mind people knowing my age/gender cause I figure it doesn't really matter whether or not I do so.

The only thing better than anime is anime with snacks.

Jan 18, 2021 2:21 AM

Apr 2013
holy necromantic batman.
That's definitely a thread that should hide its age.
Jan 18, 2021 2:23 AM

Jun 2020
age doesn't matter right?

♡hyena zzZzzZ♡

Jan 18, 2021 2:29 AM
Jul 2018
they actually want to become small....prolly....Ig...at least I think that ;-P
Jan 18, 2021 2:56 AM

Sep 2017
Just imagine this, everyone on this thread is 13 years old older now
خ
Jan 18, 2021 4:20 AM

Jun 2011
Current events, lmao.
Jan 18, 2021 4:36 AM
Jun 2020
When I'm 2 years older than this thread..
Jan 18, 2021 4:15 PM
日野森雫

Apr 2019
hmmmm safety reasons for me lol
Jan 18, 2021 4:31 PM

Aug 2017
I was 11 when this thread was made.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jan 18, 2021 4:33 PM
Jul 2018
You never ask a lady her age.

I was 18 when this thread was made.
Jan 18, 2021 4:58 PM

Aug 2016
Lmao some MAL members are younger than this thread.

AmityBlight said:

I was 18 when this thread was made.

How old are you :):)?
People who uses MAL forums are mostly bug people, take their speech with a grain of salt.
Professional Supreme Gentleman - 恋人はあなたが選んだ兄弟です
https://www.reddit.com/r/AnimeElitism/ (AnimeElitism Reddit)
https://discord.gg/4kdGsFG (Dead Discord)
2静か先生88#7307
Jan 18, 2021 6:52 PM

Oct 2012
AmityBlight said:
Sounds like some sage advice from a pedophile.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jan 18, 2021 7:27 PM
Jul 2018
katsucats said:
AmityBlight said:
Sounds like some sage advice from a pedophile

Lady is a female from ages of 16 to early 20. No one prefer girls as ladies.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.