Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 26, 2013 1:30 PM

Aug 2009
Great review symbv, I agree on many of your statements. I was baffled by Shinji's behavior when he wanted to pull the out lances even when Kaworu told him not to.

I'm ok with 3.0 being such a different story, it goes beyond the question "what happened after the creation of the new world", and it's interesting. I understand the tension and that the crew had to change and adapt to new circumstances during the 14 years time-leap, but we only see them as the bitter and single-minded characters they have become (I like Maya little scene, lol). There's no insight on how come they fight against Nerv and the Evas, just empty space. The film highly rely on action scenes instead, which looked great, but it needed more content on the characters.

I'll watch it a second time soon. The story is nowhere as hard to handle as the original, though it properly won't provoke near as much debate either.
Apr 26, 2013 2:03 PM

Jan 2013
Dayum.
Idk I liked this one better than 2.0, even though this movie was kind of confusing. X)
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Apr 26, 2013 5:28 PM

Apr 2012
WTF did I just watch..
As a fan of Evangelion since a long time ago, I have to say this movie is the weakest part of Rebuild Saga.
it's not that bad but it's far from good either, I did enjoyed this movie, but well, they could do so much better.
I hope the fourth would be better
Apr 26, 2013 11:54 PM
Oct 2010
mikado34 said:
I was baffled by Shinji's behavior when he wanted to pull the out lances even when Kaworu told him not to.

I wasn't very baffled by his behavior. Initially Kaworu convinced him to pilot the EVA in the first place, showing him the aftermath of his actions and telling him there was a way he could fix everything. I think at that point even though karowu was telling him to stop, he was in such a state of mind he convinced himself that pulling out the spears was the right choice. That's just my thoughts on it.
Apr 27, 2013 12:08 AM

Jul 2012
skudoops said:
mikado34 said:
I was baffled by Shinji's behavior when he wanted to pull the out lances even when Kaworu told him not to.

I wasn't very baffled by his behavior. Initially Kaworu convinced him to pilot the EVA in the first place, showing him the aftermath of his actions and telling him there was a way he could fix everything. I think at that point even though karowu was telling him to stop, he was in such a state of mind he convinced himself that pulling out the spears was the right choice. That's just my thoughts on it.

My sentiments exactly. After being told by Kaworu and Fuyutsuki the worst news he could possibly get, he broke down. He was desperate to return to the world he got to know in 1.0 and 2.0/undo his mistakes; he couldn't rationalize further than that at that point.
Apr 27, 2013 12:59 AM

Apr 2013
eh...the movie well...
it wasn't bad...was it?
ok for 1 my first problem with the movie is it just plainly did not feel as good as the other rebuilds or the original series, it just felt like less overall
if there was anything actually better about it, it would be the animation

the movie's biggest problem is the entire thing is just a set up for whatever the hell 4.0 is gonna be
that and well....the writing in this wasn't that good, i mean shinji was an idiot and i was wondering why no one would straight out tell him shit we already know but he doesn't when instead they explain it to us and keep shinji as an idiot

also kawrou felt much less than he was in the fucking original anime,also they seriously wasted too much time making it seem like he and shinji had some kind of relationship, which they didn't do well, and ignored what people actually wanted to see, which was the wille and what led to them becoming well wille and how they survived and etc

also it would've made more sense to me if kawrou was the one that actually pulls the spears after asuka actually tells shinji that IT'LL CAUSE THE 4TH IMPACT(which she didn't), and then shinji saves the world and his only friend dies and we now have a better plot
well somewhat..maybe

i get why shinji did it, i just didn't like that he did actually do it. i think having kawrou the only one he trusts betray him and force him to kill him to save everyone would've been better.....and i just realized that i basically wanted it to go like it did in the original anime....well it was better than this

this movie had little to no actual development plotwise and character wise, no one really changed, except rei is now reset or w.e and misato is the new gendou and has cool glasses
the plot developed into shit happened since the last movie, and shinji and kawrou had a thing
there was no mindfuck, or symbolism or too much actual character development or anything really, the movie felt like the world it was in pretty damn shallow and empty

anyway basically the movie in a whole was underwhelming and half of it is them basically showing us that shit happened and that shinji knows how to play the piano

could've been better
GallantSaberApr 27, 2013 1:08 AM
Apr 27, 2013 2:03 AM

Jul 2010
CrescentYozora25 said:
'scuse me.. Is it okay to watch this movie even though I haven't watched any of the evangelion series/ovas??

Nope. It'd be a waste of time trying to make heads or tails out of any of it.
Apr 27, 2013 2:10 AM

Apr 2013
CrescentYozora25 said:
'scuse me.. Is it okay to watch this movie even though I haven't watched any of the evangelion series/ovas??

no not at all
if you want to watch it and get it watch the original anime series
than the original anime ending movie
then the first 2 rebuild movies
then watch this

good luck =3
Apr 27, 2013 2:39 AM

Sep 2011
CrescentYozora25 said:

No + You would want to watch the first two anyways, they're wayyyyyy better. You don't need to watch the original t.v series, though.
TyrelApr 27, 2013 3:17 AM
Apr 27, 2013 2:43 AM

Sep 2009
GallantSaber said:
CrescentYozora25 said:

no not at all
then watch this

good luck =3
Couldn't he/she just watch the 2 rebuild movies? Unless you're taking into account the rumor that the rebuild movies are actually a sequel to the original show.
Apr 27, 2013 3:07 AM

Jul 2010
saxophone15 said:
GallantSaber said:
CrescentYozora25 said:

no not at all
then watch this

good luck =3
Couldn't he/she just watch the 2 rebuild movies? Unless you're taking into account the rumor that the rebuild movies are actually a sequel to the original show.

Is this really just a rumor still? There's all kinds of evidence that it's a sequel. Especially in this new movie. We're never going to get an official confirmation and he/she should just watch the original show and EoE anyway.
Apr 27, 2013 3:22 AM

Jan 2013
He/She can just watch the first two Rebuild movies since thus far it has little to no association as a sequel to the previous 26 episode TV series, Death and Rebirth, and End of Evangelion. That is unless Rebuild 4.0 reveals it to not be the case but that's not for another year, or two, or three. The only relation is the settings that's similar.

It is best to just watch the original TV series and original movies though then watch Rebuild. Two choices really.

I heard It's plausible that it might be a sequel. But my assumption is simply due to things Kaworu said in 1.11 at the very end of the movie. As if he knew Shinji already, of course we don't even see that in any of the 3 movies so why would Kaworu say that. There might be another line or two in 2.22 but I can't recall but I am just assuming that might be the culprit. Unless some of you folks heard other things.
Apr 27, 2013 3:41 AM

Oct 2008
I always argued that the original is better and it obviously still stands.
However, I really liked this movie and how different it was, this will be really great if they explain what happened to all the characters in 4.0, tie in all the loose ends and answer all the questions. But with Evangelion you never really know..
Even I, a fan of NGE for about 7/8 years now, I'm not underwhelmed by this film at all, I'm glad it took a turn like this, I just hope they will answer most of the questions we have in the next film and do it right.
Apr 27, 2013 4:08 AM

Jul 2010
radle said:

I heard It's plausible that it might be a sequel. But my assumption is simply due to things Kaworu said in 1.11 at the very end of the movie. As if he knew Shinji already, of course we don't even see that in any of the 3 movies so why would Kaworu say that. There might be another line or two in 2.22 but I can't recall but I am just assuming that might be the culprit. Unless some of you folks heard other things.

It IS a sequel. Kaworu going "This time" everytime he's being vague. The giant Rei head in Eva 3. The red ocean. The giant blood splat on the moon. And Anno's quote of "Evangelion being a story of repeats".
And there's more and more and more. There's never going to be an official confirmation. So, if that's what you're waiting for, prepared to be in a state of limbo for forever. I'm not going to stay up this early in the morning to drudge up some more proof. But, I am going to watch 1.11 and 2.22 and then 3.33 tomorrow, so I can come back and make even more arguments of why this is a spit in the face to the fans. And for some reason, people are taking it.
Apr 27, 2013 4:23 AM
Apr 2013
I must say I was expecting something like this when I saw the score for the 3rd film. I was sure people didn't rate it high because the film would introduce more questions and almost no answers. However, I really enjoyed it and am quiet happy the film went in that direction because it's going to take some time for the 4th film to come out, giving us the urge to rewatch the film again to try and catch any more clues, hidden meanings.

Given the fact that 3rd impact almost happened because of Shinji's whim to save Rei, it isn't really surprising that everyone hate and act cold towards him. I think that part was done quiet well.

It seems that Wille has been running away from the 4-part underwater angel for quiet some time, implying that they havn't destroyed any angels in the 14years time skip. This is pretty strange considering the fact that there was also the angel in space and as I recall, it has been mentioned in the original series that a new angel only comes after the previous one has been destroyed (not 100% sure on this tho). In any case the battle scenes with the angels have been very well done.

Kaworu's mentioning that he has been waiting and that he and Shinji will meet again, thousands of presumably eva skulls, those red evas that failed to become 'infinity', just outside of Central Dogma, and the craters on that structure which came from underground when unit 13 awakened, could be implying that this has happened countless times before, and that the cycle of creation and destruction has happened countless times before. Kaworu saying that those evas failed to become infinity, could mean that none of them achieved the true goal, whatever it might be, and the cycle(humanity and evolution) has been repeated again.

In my opinion, Kaworu's death wasn't as impactful as it was in the original series, but it was still quiet impactful on Shinji. Seeing that Kaworu was willing to sacrifice his life to help Shinji save the world, by taking his choker and wearing it himself, he feels so much closer to him. After taking both spears out of Lilith's corpse, and realising that what is about to happen is again his fault, and then seeing his new very close friend, get his head blown off because of this, must have been quiet a shock for Shinji, making him all depressed inside the plug as we can see at the end when Asuka comes to get him.

I have really enjoyed this film, even though it was a bit short. Considering the fact that 3rd and 4th movie were to be released at the same time, I think of the 3rd movie as a prelude to the final movie, and am very excited about it (wanna watch it nao!).

Some people seem to be confused about the "mystery" L field/barrier at the end. I think what Asuka is trying to say is that, the L - "anty-Lilim density' prevents people who can't project/use their AT fields like the eva pilots can from coming close to that area, that's why they are going 'somewhere where Lilim can pick the up'. I presume that normal people would turn into that red goo, if they came in close distance to that location.
Apr 27, 2013 4:24 AM

May 2012
HATUL300 said:
I always argued that the original is better and it obviously still stands.
However, I really liked this movie and how different it was, this will be really great if they explain what happened to all the characters in 4.0, tie in all the loose ends and answer all the questions. But with Evangelion you never really know..
Even I, a fan of NGE for about 7/8 years now, I'm not underwhelmed by this film at all, I'm glad it took a turn like this, I just hope they will answer most of the questions we have in the next film and do it right.

Same goes for me, I have no idea why is the hate meter that high up. Its not a total train wrecked.

Unlike some shit sequel like Eureka seven AO ................
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Apr 27, 2013 4:32 AM
Aug 2008
CrescentYozora25 said:

its ok.
But you will think "What was happening in previous series for the world to become like this?".

dont worry the eva 111 and 222 did not explain what happens. Eva 333 do a time skip of 14 years.

But in the middle of eva 333, kaworu will explain it to shinji.

mikado34 said:
Great review symbv, I agree on many of your statements. I was baffled by Shinji's behavior when he wanted to pull the out lances even when Kaworu told him not to.

You are not alone. Asuka are baffled too. Thats why she keep screaming gaki shinji or something like that.

Too bad kaworu are too nice. He can just yell at shinji that he already said multiple times. LETS STOP shinji... the LANCE ARE WRONG! :/
Apr 27, 2013 4:35 AM

Sep 2012
when i first saw it i wasnt too keen, but upon considerable thought, id have to say EOE was equal first for the best eva movie (tied with 2.22) It just has so much going for it, if i had to pick any 1 anime to represent the medium as a work of art, EOE would be top 3 easily.

the MP eva battle, the awakening of 01, the literal apocalypse, the komm susser todd part.
and the giant rei becoming a god. some of those parts actually give me the chills. if it wasnt a literal collectors item i would have bought it already.
Apr 27, 2013 4:49 AM
Apr 2012
I'm pretty sure that what Asuka and Mari battle in space, and shortly after what the Wunder battles at sea, aren't Angels, but rather automated attack drones that can somehow project AT Fields. The fact that they're already designated "Mk IV A/B" and "Nemesis series", aside from sounding like weapon designations, implies that they've been encountered before, plus if you actually look at them they look mechanical and man-made.

Plus I'm pretty sure the MkIV that is encountered in space has the IPEA logo on it.

Edit: Nevermind it says "Eva-4" on it.
fdsfgsApr 27, 2013 4:53 AM
Apr 27, 2013 5:03 AM

Apr 2012
Yeah, I thought Mk 4 standed for mark 4.
Anyhow when Eva 13 appears Misato says something like the 12th angel has already been taken care of.
Apr 27, 2013 5:05 AM
Apr 2013
Indeed, it does say Eva-4, however in the movie it also says that BloodType ~Blue has been recognised. I thought only angels had BloodType ~Blue? Also when the first eva-4 flies in space it screams the same angels do, and if you notice no evas have ever screamed that way. They could be angel-infected evas or something of the sort.
Let's hope this is explained in movie 4.
Apr 27, 2013 5:09 AM
Apr 2012
coolasj19 said:
It IS a sequel.

Not necessarily.

>The giant Rei head in Eva 3.

Did you notice Lilith's corpse in Terminal Dogma was headless? Yeah, that was her head. The giant holes where her eyes should be were where the bolts in her mask affixed her head to Lilith's cross.

>The red sea.

Already explained in 2.22 as being a result of the Second Impact, when the four Adams went boom.

>The giant blood splat on the moon.

See above.

>And Anno's quote of "Evangelion being a story of repeats".

Actually his exact words were “Eva is a story of repetition. It is a story where our protagonist faces the same situation many times over and determinedly picks himself back up again. It is a story of the will to move forward, even if only a little. It is a story of the resolve to want to be together, even though it is frightening to have contact with others and endure ambiguous loneliness. I would be most gratified if you found enjoyment in these four parts as it takes the same story and metamorphoses it into something different.”

Now let's dissect this statement by statement.

"Eva is a story of repetition. It is a story where our protagonist faces the same situation many times over and determinedly picks himself back up again."

You Can (Not) Redo

"It is a story of the will to move forward, even if only a little."

You Can (Not) Advance

"It is a story of the resolve to want to be together, even though it is frightening to have contact with others and endure ambiguous loneliness."

You Are (Not) Alone

"I would be most gratified if you found enjoyment in these four parts as it takes the same story and metamorphoses it into something different."

And while you may not be able to redo, you can always Rebuild.

And by the way, if you say Rebuild is a sequel, can you explain a few things for me? Namely how there are now 4 Adams and 4 Lances of Longinus; how Lilith's Spear of Cassius (what Kaworu threw at Eva-01 at the end of 2.22) is not destroyed when it was in the original series; and how the giant hole in Japan caused by the Red Earth Purification Ceremony in End of Evangelion is not there anymore.
Apr 27, 2013 5:17 AM
Apr 2012
ddxing said:
Indeed, it does say Eva-4, however in the movie it also says that BloodType ~Blue has been recognised. I thought only angels had BloodType ~Blue? Also when the first eva-4 flies in space it screams the same angels do, and if you notice no evas have ever screamed that way. They could be angel-infected evas or something of the sort.
Let's hope this is explained in movie 4.

Good point, right now I'm thinking they're artificial Angels, perhaps created via the Key of Nebuchadnezzar. Of course, there's nothing solid either way but Zeruel was the 10th, the 12th and 13th appeared during climax, and what was encountered between them cannot all be the 11th Angel.

By the way did anyone else catch all the MP Mark 06s in the preview for Final?

I wonder how Gendo could have created so many Evas? Oh wait.

Good thing Third Impact seems to have turned most of Tokyo-3 into these giant Eva-esque things.
Apr 27, 2013 5:28 AM

Apr 2012
fdsfgs said:
And by the way, if you say Rebuild is a sequel, can you explain a few things for me? Namely how there are now 4 Adams and 4 Lances of Longinus; how Lilith's Spear of Cassius (what Kaworu threw at Eva-01 at the end of 2.22) is not destroyed when it was in the original series; and how the giant hole in Japan caused by the Red Earth Purification Ceremony in End of Evangelion is not there anymore.
Eva series had all spears of Longinus, so 4 more why not?

4 adams: the tiny stuff in the suitcase brought by Kaiji was called Adam , so it could have served as a base for the 4 Adams.

From what I remember the giant hole is caused by the geofront/Lilith egg being extracted, so for whatever reason it returned to its original place.

I'm not aware of any spear of Cassius in the original series, where is it mentioned?

Also one other hint in Jo is a drawing of an Eva series on the ground (at the beginning). Do you have an explanation for that?

I'm not saying I don't believe in the alternative setting route, just that it's kind of hard to decide.
As to the screen with many red evas, I think it could have happened after the near-3rd impact and during the 14 years of war.
EratiKApr 27, 2013 7:34 AM
Apr 27, 2013 5:34 AM
Apr 2013
fdsfgs said:

Good point, right now I'm thinking they're artificial Angels, perhaps created via the Key of Nebuchadnezzar. Of course, there's nothing solid either way but Zeruel was the 10th, the 12th and 13th appeared during climax, and what was encountered between them cannot all be the 11th Angel.

By the way did anyone else catch all the MP Mark 06s in the preview for Final?

I wonder how Gendo could have created so many Evas? Oh wait.

Good thing Third Impact seems to have turned most of Tokyo-3 into these giant Eva-esque things.

Ah I forgot to mention that the 4 'things' also produced red blood when they were killed, again implying they must have had some connection to angels.

In the first screenshot make sure you don't miss the Eva itself! It seems it's half Eva-02, half Mari's Eva. Although, I doubt that is a scene from the actual 4th movie.

Those red evas seem to be the same ones Kaworu talks about before the boys enter Central Dogma. He calls them 'those who failed to become infinity'.

~Edit

I have been thinking about that structure that came out of the ground, be it the Central Dogma or whatever it actually is. Doesn't that kinda look like the holy grail?
ddxingApr 27, 2013 5:48 AM
Apr 27, 2013 6:46 AM
Feb 2011
Does anyone know why it's 2.40:1 instead of 16:9? I'm just curious why they changed aspect ratio in the middle of the series.
Apr 27, 2013 7:18 AM
Jul 2018
Man...you can (not) redo couldn't be a more appropriate title; Shinji just keeps getting used and screwing up until the very end, poor bastard.

It was nice to see Kaworu get such great screen time even though it all ends the same for him, and that touching piano duet was probably the highlight of the entire movie for me. It was kind of like the calm before a particularly savage storm.
Apr 27, 2013 7:42 AM

Sep 2008
What the hell I just watched? Why Misato & gang founded their own group? Did they discover what Gendo was really doing?

Why there is GNR head in old Nerv command center?

Why nobody explains anything?

I wonder what people were saying after watching EoE just after it came out... Maybe there was same kind of confusion...

I guess this is excepted. After all this is Evangelion.
Apr 27, 2013 7:51 AM

Sep 2011
This was a trainwreck. From a person who hasn't watched T.V Series (Which I shouldn't have to), I'm completely dumbfounded on wtf happened.

Why did Misato make a separate group and go against NERV?

What is Shinji's dad trying to accomplish? It feels like he's trying to revive his dead wife or some shit..

Ugh so many more questions. It better explain it in EVA 4.0; otherwise, this movie was just one whole build up.

7/10. Expected much more.
TyrelApr 27, 2013 8:17 AM
Apr 27, 2013 7:53 AM

Oct 2012
Tyrel said:
This was a trainwreck. From a person who hasn't watched T.V Series (Which I shouldn't have to), I'm completely dumbfounded on wtf handed.

What is Shinji dad trying to accomplish? It feels like he's trying to revive his dead wife or some shot..

In that respect, it will be more clear in NGE/EoE

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
Apr 27, 2013 8:07 AM
Sep 2007
Tyrel said:
This was a trainwreck. From a person who hasn't watched T.V Series (Which I shouldn't have to), I'm completely dumbfounded on wtf handed.

What is Shinji dad trying to accomplish? It feels like he's trying to revive his dead wife or some shit..

Ugh so many more questions. It better explain it in EVA 4.0. Otherwise, this movie was just one whole build up.

Well, yeah, it seems you could get seriously confused after watching this movie without prior knowledge about story and characters from the original series. This kind of approach to the movie that should be a part of a stand-alone Evangelion projrct is pretty much failed. And if you know the story and motives of NGE characters, it seems to you that this tetralogy doesn't do too much stuff differently than the series which is a little bit stupid.
Apr 27, 2013 9:27 AM
Aug 2008
Tyrel said:
This was a trainwreck. From a person who hasn't watched T.V Series (Which I shouldn't have to), I'm completely dumbfounded on wtf happened.

Why did Misato make a separate group and go against NERV?

What is Shinji's dad trying to accomplish? It feels like he's trying to revive his dead wife or some shit..

Ugh so many more questions. It better explain it in EVA 4.0; otherwise, this movie was just one whole build up.

7/10. Expected much more.

both question are answered on the eva 333.

Misato
- misato left NERV because she wants to stop NERV Human Instrumental Projekt. a bit badly explained in the movie.

Shinji dad
- Yes. something like that. badly explained in the movie.

Does the director wants the viewer to feels like Shinji? Confused, confused, confused, uncertain, confused....
Apr 27, 2013 9:38 AM

Oct 2010
orangpelupa said:
Does the director wants the viewer to feels like Shinji? Confused, confused, confused, uncertain, confused....

That's how I saw it.
Apr 27, 2013 10:53 AM

Jun 2008
My reaction to this movie

Apr 27, 2013 10:58 AM
Feb 2012
Just watched EVA 3 again, Blu-Ray.

Shortly -
Music 10/10 -
Animation 10/10
Characters 7/10
Story 7/10

This movie was more about Shinji and less about the other characters, as mentioned above, I guess Anno wanted us to be in Shinji's shoes, feel confusion and despair, hopelessness. Maybe this was needed to prepare us for some unexpected climax or plot twist, who knows, It's Anno.

Some great dialog, some action scenes, but it still felt like something was missing or that everything was rushed.

And that last song.
RGBNameApr 27, 2013 11:04 AM
Apr 27, 2013 11:29 AM
Sep 2012
i think shinji needs to realise that when someone says "something isnt right" or "stop shinji" or "No Shinji Dont Pull Those Spears" then maybe you shouldnt pull the fucking spears *facepalm*

anyway wtf, at the end, he almost caused a 4th impact but suddenly asuka doesnt care anymore? they were just enemies.

as for gendo, why is he still alive? why?

Also at the begining, WTF? WHY THE HELL DIDNT ANYONE EXPLAIN WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO SHINJI? and then they are pissed when he gets annoyed and goes to NERV. <--- Definitely the thing that pissed me off the most.

Music 10/10 - (Awesome as always)
Animation 10/10 - (you've watched it, you know what im talking about)
Characters 8/10 - (Was going to give it a 7 but Mari is just too boss)
Story 8/10 - (Loved the Story, Liked the timeskip, disliked the logic.)
xtremexxApr 28, 2013 7:55 AM
Apr 27, 2013 1:17 PM

Dec 2012
7/10 - Half of it was boring as hell, and the other half was very intriguing and entertaining. However, every character was extremely frustrating to watch. I'm surprised Shinji didn't just go on a killing spree, destroying everything in his path. That would've been more entertaining.
Apr 27, 2013 1:29 PM

Feb 2009
xtremexx said:
i think shinji needs to realise that when someone says "something isnt right" or "stop shinji" or "No Shinji Dont Pull Those Spears" then maybe you shouldnt pull the fucking spears

This bugged the shit out of me, after all that development of Shinji deciding to trust Kaworu and then he just conveniently ignores what Kaworu is saying.

Also Shinji and 01 are now in space, for some reason when they were clearly on the surface at the end of 2.0. (never explained, it could be in 4.0 but I see little reason why they would want an explanation to wait until then)

Also that "curse of Eva" to keep all the pilots the same age is totally bullshit. The real reason is merchandising.
Apr 27, 2013 1:35 PM

Jan 2013
Dizzee said:
My reaction to this movie

XD
Apr 27, 2013 1:44 PM

Jun 2008
My only complaint was that isn't wasn't confusing enough. How growing up has made me forget. Really enjoyed it overall though!

Enjoyment - 9/10
Apr 27, 2013 2:24 PM

Mar 2008
JOHJ said:
Also Shinji and 01 are now in space, for some reason when they were clearly on the surface at the end of 2.0. (never explained, it could be in 4.0 but I see little reason why they would want an explanation to wait until then)

14 years have passed, lol, a lot could've happened.
Apr 27, 2013 2:33 PM

Sep 2007
Regarding the curse of Eva thing, I'm speculating that they don't age due to being contaminated from the Angels. Remember that the Angels ate from the Fruit of Life meaning that they're immortal. Since all the pilots have been contaminated by Angels, they're don't age due to their body having incorporated parts of the Angel's immortality. This is further reinforced by the fact that at the end, Asuka refers to humanity as Lilin as if she was not human and instead something else changed by fighting the Angels.
neutralizerApr 27, 2013 3:55 PM
Apr 27, 2013 2:47 PM

Jan 2010
AzureAlert said:
7/10 - Half of it was boring as hell, and the other half was very intriguing and entertaining. However, every character was extremely frustrating to watch. I'm surprised Shinji didn't just go on a killing spree, destroying everything in his path. That would've been more entertaining.

Same here, the first 40 minutes was unwatchable, very very bad CG (that's clearly seen in a bonus documentary about making 3.0 - here and here) and every character looks constipated or something, definetely lacking "real" feeling that every character had in original series. The other part, hovewer, gives some puzzles and generally feels like EVA-title should feels. About pulling the Lances, I'd do the same just to see them constipated faces butthurt. Killing spree is also a nice idea, but it seems Anno realize that EVA is not TTGL.

6/10
Apr 27, 2013 2:48 PM
Feb 2012
So, did Shinji save Rei or not?

At one point when we can see the "new" Rei in the glass tube/whateve looking at the old Rei outside (in school uniform).

If I had to guess, she was somehow saved and concealed in Shinji's music player.
Apr 27, 2013 2:48 PM

Feb 2009
viesiu said:
JOHJ said:

14 years have passed, lol, a lot could've happened.

Certainly true, but they could have, you know, took 3 seconds to mention it.
Apr 27, 2013 3:46 PM
Jul 2007
JOHJ said:
xtremexx said:
i think shinji needs to realise that when someone says "something isnt right" or "stop shinji" or "No Shinji Dont Pull Those Spears" then maybe you shouldnt pull the fucking spears

This bugged the shit out of me, after all that development of Shinji deciding to trust Kaworu and then he just conveniently ignores what Kaworu is saying.

Also that "curse of Eva" to keep all the pilots the same age is totally bullshit. The real reason is merchandising.

Regarding why he would pull out the Spears when everyone says NO...My take on it is is that it was a big step for Shinji to get back into EVA after all of the mental trauma. Then, someone suddenly tells you, the only person you could trust, "No, I was wrong." Heck, if you went that far already after putting all of your trust and effort for this one moment your f'ing life depended on, you will not hesitate to complete it. And you would be pretty sick of listening to people after being betrayed many times over. And you are on the verge of a mental breakdown, so you want this suicidal anxiety to just end. Kaworu should be the one at fault for not explaining the reason behind the spears... But, he brainstormed and realized that there must be some greater plan that will come to fruition in 4.0, which he could not explain in that amount of time. So he decided to tell Shinji the way to handle the future in the short amount of time before the possible fourth impact. Some people need to empathize more with how a character thinks rather than just bash it... God. Anyway, I'd give this 8/10.
eraltergApr 27, 2013 4:17 PM
Apr 27, 2013 3:56 PM

Jul 2010
Megaton said:
orangpelupa said:

That's how I saw it.

I as well. I think they did a job in making you feel Shinji's frustration.
Apr 27, 2013 4:42 PM

Jun 2007
hmmm

for something that took so long to plan and produce since the end of 2.0

this was complete and uber rubbish. if this was released, say, the year or two years after 2.0, like it was supposed to, sure, this could've been very acceptable. good even. however, keeping in mind all the delays (which were present from 1.0 to 2.0 as well) i would've expected something 2.0 quality. hell, i would've expected 1.0 quality, and still be happy. but there was just so much time wasted. and not even that, it felt rather short. like they really took years to come up with all these ideas. or maybe they overdeveloped and ended up scrapping a lot of stuff. either way, they could've done better, and that is what bothers me the most. my only hope is that all that time wasted in between the delays was actually spent working on the final movie, since they have practically said it was supposed to release soon shortafter 3.0. and hopefully it's not delayed, cause, really, it's just like they're riding on the popularity of 2.0 alone. as if they could savour the success of that for as long as they wanted. it really just backfired on them after producing something so sloppy. the two fights were rather good, and seeing asuka and mari again was definitely a triple plus. had they taken out a lot of crybaby shinji(oh what a let down after seeing shinji accept the world and become more manly) who we already knew existed, and already knew how he behaved (really, no need for reiteration. i believe they just fucked up and didn't know what else to put instead.)they should've put in more you know. what happened in 14 years, more mari, more asuka. hell, if they had swapped crybaby shinji with smooth kaworu, i'dve been happy as well. at least we know asuka is not 100% shinji hate, and still has a soft dere spot. and mari is as awfully crazy as she should be. 20/10 for next movie for combo of mari and asuka eva alone.

a barely 8/10 without considering it took, what, 3 years and a half, to come up with this. i might just be butthurt from all the wait, but to me it's reasonable to have the right to rant this much just for that reason (and all the delays).... praying to god it doesn't take 4 years (considering the increasing wait time between movies) for final to come out. i'd see original death threats at gainax's house.
/rant
Apr 27, 2013 4:59 PM
Sep 2012
DemiSouls said:
My only complaint was that isn't wasn't confusing enough.

Enjoyment - 9/10

Masochist?
Apr 27, 2013 5:02 PM
Apr 2012
MEsoJD said:
Megaton said:
orangpelupa said:

That's how I saw it.

I as well. I think they did a job in making you feel Shinji's frustration.

It sure did a good job of it. Watching this before going to sleep and having a dream where I felt just like Shinji - isolated, confused, disliked by everyone - was a weird experience.

Edit: By the way, confirmed for being Evangelion Mark 04.
Pages (16) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I am Deathly Afraid of Evangelion

DoctorOddball - Aug 29, 2023

2 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:10 PM

» How do you feel about Shinji??

SwagDemonMan - Oct 15, 2014

24 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:06 PM

» Evangelion 3.0 explained (attempt to) [SPOILER]

GuidSMR - Apr 18, 2023

5 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:05 PM

» So is Evangelion 3.0 really that bad? ( 1 2 )

DeusAnima - Oct 6, 2013

76 by DoctorOddball »»
Aug 29, 2023 6:02 PM

» Should I rewatch Evangelion before watching this

Vai03 - Jun 27, 2022

19 by Vai03 »»
Jun 30, 2022 9:35 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.