Forum Settings
Forums

what does Sci-Fi mean? and Plss Recommend me some anime

#1
Dec 16, 2012 5:32 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 33
sorry,i still new in this anime wolrd~as the title~_~'' wht does Sci-Fi mean? anime that the character desing look like character in anime *Beelzebub* and not look like children in anime* Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu* ~~~~~ and the main not total loser when come to girl and the heroin attitude like Ayatsuji-san in anime *Amagami SS* ~~~ and genre got a bit ecchi >_<'' hope got anime like that =.='' here my anime list http://myanimelist.net/animelist/pagoda-style
 
#2
Dec 16, 2012 5:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 832
Sci-Fi is an abbrevation for the genre Science-Fiction.
Which is basically when an anime or movie or whatever incorporates future technology, or at least technology we don't have yet. E.g. Spaceships, flying cars, teleportation etc.
 
 
#3
Dec 16, 2012 5:54 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1618
Appel_stroop said:
Sci-Fi is an abbrevation for the genre Science-Fiction.
Which is basically when an anime or movie or whatever incorporates future technology, or at least technology we don't have yet. E.g. Spaceships, flying cars, teleportation etc.


That is the basic definition of Sci-Fi, however for anime is a bit different I think. For instance FMA: Brotherhood is listed as Sci-Fi, why? Other anime as well, that just make me want to scratch my head.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
 
#4
Dec 16, 2012 5:57 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 832
Jovoo said:
Appel_stroop said:
Sci-Fi is an abbrevation for the genre Science-Fiction.
Which is basically when an anime or movie or whatever incorporates future technology, or at least technology we don't have yet. E.g. Spaceships, flying cars, teleportation etc.


That is the basic definition of Sci-Fi, however for anime is a bit different I think. For instance FMA: Brotherhood is listed as Sci-Fi, why? Other anime as well, that just make me want to scratch my head.
Well that FMA: B is listed as sci-fi is indeed kind of weird. But I guess that's because of the steampunk themed universe it's in.
 
#5
Dec 16, 2012 5:58 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1514
Jovoo said:
Appel_stroop said:
Sci-Fi is an abbrevation for the genre Science-Fiction.
Which is basically when an anime or movie or whatever incorporates future technology, or at least technology we don't have yet. E.g. Spaceships, flying cars, teleportation etc.


That is the basic definition of Sci-Fi, however for anime is a bit different I think. For instance FMA: Brotherhood is listed as Sci-Fi, why? Other anime as well, that just make me want to scratch my head.

FMA Brotherhood's tags got messed up when the site got hacked. Gintama is what I'd consider a Sci-fi anime. There are aliens, flying cars, spaceships, ect.
 
#6
Dec 16, 2012 6:05 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1618
Madeline said:
Jovoo said:
Appel_stroop said:
Sci-Fi is an abbrevation for the genre Science-Fiction.
Which is basically when an anime or movie or whatever incorporates future technology, or at least technology we don't have yet. E.g. Spaceships, flying cars, teleportation etc.


That is the basic definition of Sci-Fi, however for anime is a bit different I think. For instance FMA: Brotherhood is listed as Sci-Fi, why? Other anime as well, that just make me want to scratch my head.

FMA Brotherhood's tags got messed up when the site got hacked. Gintama is what I'd consider a Sci-fi anime. There are aliens, flying cars, spaceships, ect.


Well that explains a lot, because steam punk is quite the opposite of Sci-Fi, and much cooler in my preference. :D
The forums are dark, and full of ego.
 
#7
Dec 16, 2012 6:23 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 6649
pagoda-style said:
sorry,i still new in this anime wolrd~as the title~_~'' wht does Sci-Fi mean?


"Sci-Fi" should generally conform to current scientific reality or possible future scientific realities, the core of the story should have some aspect of when way science impacts civilization. Without this scientific backdrop, the genre would be fantasy, not science fiction. Beelzubub is a fantasy, ToAru is a fantasy, Blood is a fantasy.

In animation: Gundam, Macross, Shinsekai Yori, Ghost in the Shell, are definitely "science fiction".

Of course the boarder between SF and fantasy and SF and contemporary fiction is subjective, not objective, so there can and often is argument on what is science fiction.

A good example would be Gintama. Madeline lists it as SF because it has aliens and spacecraft. I would say that it isn't SF but rather a fantasy because there is nothing scientific about Gintama, it is a parody of the Bakumatsu period, substituting aliens for gaijin and spaceships for Perry's black ships.

But my opinion is just that, an opinion. I can debate, but I can't say that Madeline's opinion is wrong, it is just as valid as mine. But that shows how blurred the lines can be.
 
 
#8
Dec 16, 2012 6:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 524
Appel_stroop said:
Sci-Fi is an abbrevation for the genre Science-Fiction.
Which is basically when an anime or movie or whatever incorporates future technology, or at least technology we don't have yet. E.g. Spaceships, flying cars, teleportation etc.


Pretty much this.

I don't know any Sci-Fi anime that fits your preference:

anime that the character desing look like character in anime *Beelzebub* and not look like children in anime* Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu* ~~~~~ and the main not total loser when come to girl and the heroin attitude like Ayatsuji-san in anime *Amagami SS* ~~~ and genre got a bit ecchi >_<


But should you prefer something else, I recommend Steins;Gate. Easily one of the best, if not the best, Sci-Fi anime ever created.

My Youtube page: link
 
#9
Dec 16, 2012 8:36 AM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 6478
Getting the answer to what Sci-Fi means is very simple. Google it. At the same time, I am actually dumbfounded that someone is not aware of what it is. Maybe back in the 80s and 90s it played a far more prominent role in movies and television shows. Movies like Terminator, Robocop, Alien, Starwars, etc are all examples of Sci-Fi.

As for your request, I am having a hard time understanding what you're asking for. You want a show that has non-childlike character designs, a competent male lead and some ecchi?

You listed school anime as your examples, so I guess you're looking for something with the school genre.

Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

I can think of some more, but its gonna take me a while to find things. I don't remember the names of anime that I wasn't very interested in.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

 
Dec 16, 2012 10:58 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 2070
First thread I've looked at today, this is going to be a sad day.
 
Dec 16, 2012 1:16 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 1
I recommend you to watch Dennou Coil
 
Dec 16, 2012 3:03 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 49
Sci-fi: Star Trek, Star Wars, Terminator, Aliens
Fantasy: The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Harry Potter

They're the same genre's as regular TV and movies. Hope those examples helped.
 
Dec 16, 2012 3:17 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 869
Takuan_Soho said:

A good example would be Gintama. Madeline lists it as SF because it has aliens and spacecraft. I would say that it isn't SF but rather a fantasy because there is nothing scientific about Gintama, it is a parody of the Bakumatsu period, substituting aliens for gaijin and spaceships for Perry's black ships.


Oh good, at least one person got it right. If a certain piece of fiction does not focus on exploration / explanation of futuristic technology and/or its consequences, it is not science fiction. It's just fantasy with gadgets and aliens instead of swords and dragons. Certain works blur the line, yes, but indiscriminately calling anything with a spaceship in it sci-fi is all kinds of wrong.
 
 
Dec 16, 2012 3:41 PM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 1514
phnsr said:
Takuan_Soho said:

A good example would be Gintama. Madeline lists it as SF because it has aliens and spacecraft. I would say that it isn't SF but rather a fantasy because there is nothing scientific about Gintama, it is a parody of the Bakumatsu period, substituting aliens for gaijin and spaceships for Perry's black ships.


Oh good, at least one person got it right. If a certain piece of fiction does not focus on exploration / explanation of futuristic technology and/or its consequences, it is not science fiction. It's just fantasy with gadgets and aliens instead of swords and dragons. Certain works blur the line, yes, but indiscriminately calling anything with a spaceship in it sci-fi is all kinds of wrong.

Tell that to the MAL staff.
 
Dec 16, 2012 3:41 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 6478
What I'm still trying to figure out is why has this thread become, "what is sci-fi?" Furthermore, its just people regurgitating the same response/examples over and over again.

Its probably the dumbest question I've heard outside and inside the web for the past month. I can't believe we live in the era of information and there are people asking such trivial questions. Its absurd.

OP learn to make use of the internet. There are far more useful things than forums and porn.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

 
Dec 16, 2012 5:29 PM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 33
Holybaptiser said:


You want a show that has non-childlike character designs, a competent male lead and some ecchi?

.

Yup,can recommend me more? ~_~''
Holybaptiser said:
What I'm still trying to figure out is why has this thread become, "what is sci-fi?" Furthermore, its just people regurgitating the same response/examples over and over again.

Its probably the dumbest question I've heard outside and inside the web for the past month. I can't believe we live in the era of information and there are people asking such trivial questions. Its absurd.

OP learn to make use of the internet. There are far more useful things than forums and porn.
you say this to who? ~_~ sorry if my question upset you~

Tq all! i already know wht sci-fi mean..

PS* my english bad.....
 
Dec 16, 2012 5:43 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2012
Posts: 6478
I said it to you.

Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

I'll look for more but I won't promise anything.

Hidan no Aria
IS: Infinite Stratos
Sankarea
Seikon no Qwaser
Sora no Otoshimono: Tokeijikake no Angeloid
Sunabouzu
Modified by Holybaptiser, Dec 16, 2012 5:52 PM
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

 
Dec 17, 2012 2:56 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 33
Holybaptiser said:
I said it to you.

Hyakka Ryouran: Samurai Girls
Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou
Hagure Yuusha no Estetica
Maji de Watashi ni Koi Shinasai!
Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?

I'll look for more but I won't promise anything.

Hidan no Aria
IS: Infinite Stratos
Sankarea
Seikon no Qwaser
Sora no Otoshimono: Tokeijikake no Angeloid
Sunabouzu
~Thank you man~ help me a bunch :D peace