Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2012 2:39 AM

Sep 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh. My. God.

One of the best episode of this season. That was insanely good. Joker with his psychological attack and Beauty with her determination. The oral battle is great, and the sword battle even better.

Since several weeks Smile Precure is one of the best show to follow.
Dec 16, 2012 4:21 AM

May 2009
Gods, this episode vastly exceeded my expectations. They did really well, and didn't go overboard with anything. Perfect.

Wikipedia points out that ep. 45 will contain another insanely epic battle, but I won't say anything more, you can just go and see it yourself at episode list there.
Dec 16, 2012 5:23 PM

May 2009
Well, he might've never died, lol. No reason to assume he's dead just cause we haven't seen him for 2 eps.
Dec 20, 2012 7:45 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
What now, Joker? Beauty kicked your ass, didn't she?
Dec 21, 2012 2:52 AM

Oct 2011
Way weaker than previous 3 episodes, that's dissapointing (especially part when everyone started to cry - come on! especially Candy). Still compared with rest of season it was good.

That doesn't mean the fight - it was awesome, especially the song. Really well done here.

And next episode is Miyuki... so it means less epic episode in my opinion :P
Epic fight in ep 45 well I hope so - Big Bad is going to appear (finally) and maybe laziest Royal Imperial Queen will show up.
Dec 21, 2012 7:09 AM

Sep 2007
Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.
The fight was intense.
And the insert song ...
We have a name for that ?!
Dec 21, 2012 9:20 AM
Jun 2011
ShiroiRyu said:
Oh my god, oh my god, oh my god.
The fight was intense.
And the insert song ...
We have a name for that ?!
it called your mirror this is reika character song in the first album
Dec 21, 2012 9:35 AM

Feb 2012
SakuraRainbow said:
I *hate* it when people say something's a ripoff, but even I have to admit this episode was way too similar to the Sailor Moon episode where Ami also gets the opportunity to study abroad. Lazy writing? It's a shame, because it had such a good fight scene too...

It's not actually lazy writing more than it is simply running out of options. This is why I think that more shows should try to distance themselves from familiar settings. Even in here they have alternative world plus now dead fairy tale theme that simply wasn't put to use for some reason.

Not a bad episode, though. There was some imagination and genuine coreography put in the fight scene. However, by this point it is clear that Smile will forever be denied of greatness due to the severe lack of connection between the characters and whatever thin plot elements there are left, in addition of forgetting to utilize the original concept of the show.
Dec 21, 2012 10:26 AM
Oct 2010
For me the episode was hit and miss. It was nice but in my opinion the battles were better made in the sunny and peace oriented episodes. Also I didn't like that the battle with cure beutiey and joker started right after her problem was addressed. It's a shame we couldn't learn more about her like we did with the other cure members.
Dec 21, 2012 12:57 PM

Oct 2009
Am I the only one who didn't forget about the Book-Travel-System?
Dec 21, 2012 1:15 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Ringlord said:
Nope. I noticed it immediately and pointed it out to someone else around here last night.
Dec 21, 2012 1:19 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Regardless of the bookshelf 'feature', it still wouldn't be exactly the same as being together at school and such, but I was noting that it wasn't mentioned at all. Reika had to find the right answer for her and her grandfather helped her do that. I suspect in the end even if the bookshelf thing had been 'remembered' she still would have made the same choice. Based on her reaction to the news itself it looked like she had totally forgotten the application for the study abroad and then was only going through the motions, as Joke pointed out, to meet everybody's expectations of her.
Dec 21, 2012 3:38 PM

Oct 2011
SakuraRainbow said:
I *hate* it when people say something's a ripoff, but even I have to admit this episode was way too similar to the Sailor Moon episode where Ami also gets the opportunity to study abroad. Lazy writing? It's a shame, because it had such a good fight scene too...
Like entire Smile wasn't in fact ripoff of Yes 5 ;) or Fresh where something similar was going to happen (again with blue Precure)...

But in the end Smile is like Yes! yet with more comedy (great part) and more realistic (even if I love Nozomi as a leader.. she would die in real world). Is it bad? Nope :)
at least they re-use those things/plot points in a creative way
Dalek-bakaDec 21, 2012 4:42 PM
Dec 22, 2012 1:10 AM
Oct 2010
Dalek-baka said:
SakuraRainbow said:
Like entire Smile wasn't in fact ripoff of Yes 5 ;) or Fresh where something similar was going to happen (again with blue Precure)...

But in the end Smile is like Yes! yet with more comedy (great part) and more realistic (even if I love Nozomi as a leader.. she would die in real world). Is it bad? Nope :)
at least they re-use those things/plot points in a creative way

or maybe the creators wanted smile to be a reincarnation of yes precure :P
Afterall the one who designed smile precure was the same who designed yes
Dec 22, 2012 6:32 AM

Aug 2007
The episode of this week was boring. The episodes dedicated to the other 4 cures were more interesting.
Dec 22, 2012 10:34 AM

Sep 2007
When you knew we had only 3 oters cures last weeks and not 4. (Yes the 44 will be our main heroine)
I'm not even sure you had look at this episode.
Dec 28, 2012 7:50 PM

Oct 2011
That was one of the best episodes of the series.
Beauty was amazing and so badass. <3 Beauty might be my new love.
Dec 30, 2012 7:07 PM

Jul 2008
Ringlord said:

I know right? Akane could visit Brian and Reika at the same time~
Jan 4, 2013 12:14 PM

Sep 2012
GarLogan78 said:
Ringlord said:

I know right? Akane could visit Brian and Reika at the same time~

^^ Both of these.

The fight was good. The episode was kinda ok. Been there did that kinda thing.

Although this image is rather cool.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb269/FF6andLufiaCrazed/Smile_Precure_Episode_43_1280.jpg

I edited it to be the best quality I could tell. :)
Jan 11, 2013 10:41 PM

Jan 2011
As soon as I saw the title, I was reminded of Ami's episode in Sailor Moon.

Reika was extra badass though.
Jan 14, 2013 3:08 PM

Aug 2011
Damn, why are these episodes so emotional recently? Incredible episode nonetheless!

Love Joker's fights, his mind games are more entertaining than the other three I think.

Cure Beauty's fight sequence with the insert song was, of course, beautiful. Her Blizzard Arrow was a great attack. I wish I had her strength to make a decision like that. No one knew the real reason why she declined to study in the UK, as the Precure alter-egos remains a secret so her father and probably her teachers thought she was mad.
Mar 27, 2018 7:52 AM

Apr 2012
Another great fight from Joker and Beauty. That was great, I enjoyed how Joker was able to break Reika by talking.
"Fortress Maximus has come himself. Okay! Then I shall get Fortress Maximus to fight me, huh huh huh!"

Apr 18, 2018 6:49 AM

Mar 2017
Beauty is so cool!
Another reason for me to fall in love with her more ♥

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Nov 3, 2018 9:05 AM

Jul 2015
After reading the comments I remembered the book travel system which makes the feels of this episode a bit exaggerated, although tbh it would still not be the same without Reika going to their school and always being together so the strength of the episode was still there.

Very solid episode, Joker using the psychological attack on Reika was neat and so was how she recovered from it with the help of her friends and reaching her own decision, great fight and song as well!

Both leaving and staying there were correct decisions and I can approve Reika deciding to keep the days with her friends going.
Apr 10, 2019 5:07 PM

Dec 2011
I forgot about the book travel system, but even taking that into consideration I don't think it would be the same as physically being there with your friends, in an environment that you already know. People inevitably change when they leave you.

I expect no less from a Reika focused episode. While the crying was a little exaggerated for me, I remember that these are middle school kids who are dealing with real-world emotions. All of them did their best to hold it in, so some crying in that scene makes sense. I think it's also important to see how our Beauty, the cool & collected, is also capable of crying/feeling like that.

I honestly thought Reika was going to leave! It's a surprise for me that the episode's decision was to have her stay/that the msg went in that direction. I'm impressed.
Mar 4, 2022 5:10 AM

Aug 2018
Reika is the closest to her grandpa, it feels.. At least most important things she can discuss with him..
Interesting to know that paths can be portrayed by different characters in Japanese.. With different meanings..
Reika still could accepted, though, to study abroad.. It's not like they'll be in same school forever anyway, and they also have library to travel fast, so she really could be having tea with cookies every day with them, if she'd wish so.. ;P
Apr 22, 2022 9:04 AM

Feb 2020
Very good and emotional episode. I really like Reika's character.

That part when everyone started cry was so touching...

The sword fight was also pretty cool. Joker put up a good fight.
Nov 13, 2022 10:19 AM
Jul 2022
The scenes where the Pretty Cures and Candy are crying together, and given that the Pretty Cures and Candy constantly cry and scream in each scene, it can get very grating and annoying on your brain for too long. 😭
Nov 13, 2022 10:20 AM
Jul 2022
The scene where Joker laughs the Pretty Cures and Candy is very unfunny to watch due to how pathetically weak they come off as. This is just silly. 😭
Nov 13, 2022 10:21 AM
Jul 2022
The disturbing and disgusting scene at the near end where the Pretty Cures and Candy are crying and screaming too loud. 😭
Jan 29, 2023 7:58 AM
Jan 2023
If Sobble cries then we cry! 😭

More topics from this board

Poll: » Smile Precure! Episode 40 Discussion

Kaengel - Nov 25, 2012

10 by kitaaaa »»
Apr 13, 4:54 AM

Poll: » Smile Precure! Episode 3 Discussion

stevewiess01 - Feb 18, 2012

31 by DylansTrashTaste »»
Mar 4, 6:06 PM

Poll: » Smile Precure! Episode 2 Discussion

stevewiess01 - Feb 11, 2012

29 by DylansTrashTaste »»
Mar 4, 4:54 PM

Poll: » Smile Precure! Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

samuraitastic - Feb 4, 2012

57 by DylansTrashTaste »»
Mar 4, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Smile Precure! Episode 6 Discussion

Dalek-baka - Mar 11, 2012

17 by ThorVermillion »»
Feb 24, 6:38 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.