Forum Settings
Forums
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

Dec 15, 2012 5:50 AM

For me, It would have to be the Harem genre. Don't get me wrong, I would love to be surrounded by a tonne of girls who are absolutely obsessed with me, but every single anime I've watched with the Harem genre, has the most frustrating protagonist.

He's a frustrating protagonist in the sense that he will almost always be completely allergic to any single girl who wants to get near him.

If a girl wants to fuck you, you wouldn't just scream and run as far away as you could.... would you?

Dec 15, 2012 6:09 AM
Aside from a couple exceptions like Gurren Lagann I hate super robot mecha.

Dec 15, 2012 6:13 AM

Horror~

I am not scared nor afraid of blood, but I just don't find the Animes under this genre interesting.

Dec 15, 2012 6:18 AM

The Slice of life stuff. I watch anime to get away from my boring life, not to watch other fictional characters' boring lives.
The forums are dark, and full of ego.

Dec 15, 2012 6:47 AM

slice of life - I watch animes to escape my boring ordinary life

Dec 15, 2012 6:49 AM

No such thing. I watch everything.

I do tend avoid anything Yaoi though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Dec 15, 2012 6:54 AM
AirStyles said:
Yaoi.

That's that shit I don't like. Yeah, I'll take mecha over yaoi. Completely forgot about it.

Dec 15, 2012 7:12 AM

Excluding the overly explicit genres, Ecchi is by far my least favourite genre.

I can't believe it even exists T_T

(though I suppose if hentai exists...)

Dec 15, 2012 7:39 AM

Meccha - I just don't like it. I never could finish the first episode of a Meccha anime.
Slice of Life - I watched very good slice of life anime, but they're so rare among an amount of extremely boring animes.
Shoujo - I know. That's a demographic. But I'm talking about the "Shoujo" clichés, you may understand which kind I'm talking about.

Dec 15, 2012 7:49 AM

Sports- The hell? I'd prefer to watch the actual thing on ESPN.

Slice of life- I thought I came here to escape reality and enter a fantastic world not enter another boring persons day to day life.

Meccha: Just cant get into it.

Dec 15, 2012 9:14 AM

According to MALgraph, it's ecchi. I don't know why though :/

According to my mind and heart, it's yaoi...

Dec 15, 2012 9:32 AM

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.

Basically. Though a genre that I try to avoid is sports. I know I'm probably missing out on some good series by doing this, but my brain kind of goes blank when the thought of watching an anime about basketball crosses my mind.
Modified by Ardanaz, Jan 2, 2016 5:34 AM

Dec 15, 2012 9:34 AM

It's the characters that matter more than the genre. And I tend to find more of the character tropes I hate in ecchi harem series. So I guess that.

Dec 15, 2012 11:34 AM

I don't have one. I have stuff that I don't tend to watch because those genres aren't targeted towards me or any demographic that I fit in. It's just that me not watching Yaoi is not the same as me hating Yaoi. You people are so emotional it's sickening.
Modified by Anime_Name, Dec 15, 2012 11:51 AM

Dec 15, 2012 11:44 AM

"Hating" stuff high school oriented in anime seems to kind of defeat or greatly lessen the amount of anime one could watch. If I wanted a dreary selection of limited genres I would have never started watching anime in the first place.

Modified by Ardanaz, Jan 2, 2016 5:35 AM

Dec 15, 2012 11:49 AM

Yaoi, Yuri, Game [i.e. Bakugan or Yu-gi-oh... I watched them as a kid but couldn't watch them now], Moe Magic ones... I think that's it.

For the rest if it's good I'll watch it

Dec 15, 2012 11:55 AM

FrostToaster said:
Game [i.e. Bakugan or Yu-gi-oh... I watched them as a kid but couldn't watch them now].

Try Kaiji, and tell me if you still think games are for kids. Considering your taste, you may like it.

Dec 15, 2012 11:56 AM
Serious reply? The sub-genre of shoujo where the male prince character rescues the female frog character and whose kiss transform her into a beautiful social swan from an ugly social duckling.

I course I am a guy, so I have my gender bias going here, but I can enjoy many shoujo manga's and animations (enjoying Tonari no Kaibutsu right now), but that sub-genre really chaps my britches so to speak.

Dec 15, 2012 12:02 PM

FrostToaster said:

It also said shounen was a genre and someone was already called out on it.
I was using a different website and tried to summarize the anime in one word.

Unless they are going to get "shounen" removed from the list of MAL and/or use a different websites definition on this site then it's pretty safe to use the genres as listed on MAL for us English speakers.

Dec 15, 2012 12:04 PM

SetsukoHara said:
FrostToaster said:
Game [i.e. Bakugan or Yu-gi-oh... I watched them as a kid but couldn't watch them now].

Try Kaiji, and tell me if you still think games are for kids. Considering your taste, you may like it.

That actually sounds interesting.

I think I read a manga that had something like that. I don't remember the name, but someone was given a ton of money by a bank or someone else and they have to find another person in the GAME that was also given a large amount before the end of the month or they had to pay back the bank.

Dec 15, 2012 12:05 PM
Not a big fan of psychological stuff. Shows that are "Deep" is fine as long as they concisely answer all of the questions they present by the end. Shows that deliberately make things confusing and then expect you to form your own conclusions on what the heck you just watched just seem lazy.

Dec 15, 2012 12:07 PM

Anime_Name said:
FrostToaster said:

It also said shounen was a genre and someone was already called out on it.
I was using a different website and tried to summarize the anime in one word.

Unless they are going to get "shounen" removed from the list of MAL and/or use a different websites definition on this site then it's pretty safe to use the genres as listed on MAL for us English speakers.

Why are you even arguing with me?

Dec 15, 2012 12:21 PM

Harem, Ecchi, and anything where they "sexualize" (is that even a word?) the characters or the plot feels like it goes nowhere.
"Cheer up, you’re never alone! There is probably at least 1 bug in your room."

Dec 15, 2012 12:28 PM

FrostToaster said:

Arguing? I just told you and the other poster that MAL has a list of genres and that all it takes is reading the anime information to clarify what genre an anime fits into so that crap like "I don't know what genre XYZ anime is but I hates it" becomes unnecessary.

Dec 15, 2012 12:39 PM

Anime_Name said:
FrostToaster said:

Arguing? I just told you and the other poster that MAL has a list of genres and that all it takes is reading the anime information to clarify what genre an anime fits into so that crap like "I don't know what genre XYZ anime is but I hates it" becomes unnecessary.

Too bad the genre tags on MAL are retarded. They list demographics as genres (which just creates an endless amount of idiots - like this thread and every other shows) plus half the time the actual genres are still wrong anyway.

Dec 15, 2012 12:52 PM

Fighting - Because most fighting shows usually fall under shounen demography, the generic shounen style fighting, which get very tedious.
Sports - Obviously because they don't like sports in real life, so they assume they don't like sports in anime either.
Modified by Ardanaz, Jan 2, 2016 5:40 AM

Dec 15, 2012 12:53 PM

I hold no detest towards any genre of anime, But MAL graph says it's Yaoi,
Though, I enjoy Yaoi.
Having a favourite anime is something nice.

Dec 15, 2012 12:59 PM

Yokubo-san said:
Though, I enjoy Yaoi.

MAL Graph doesn't really show your most disliked genres, rather, it counts all the anime with that genre and gives you the mean/average, and if it happens to be the lowest, it'll end up as "Your least favorite" on MAL Graph, but it should be "Your lowest rated genre". So don't use that site for figuring out your favs/dislikes

A good example would be me. I love watching my ecchi show but it's apparently my most disliked, and I'm not very fond of mecha but it's as my most favorite. All the mecha anime I've seen just happened to be scored high.

Dec 15, 2012 1:06 PM

Paul said:
Yokubo-san said:
Though, I enjoy Yaoi.

MAL Graph doesn't really show your most disliked genres, rather, it counts all the anime with that genre and gives you the mean/average, and if it happens to be the lowest, it'll end up as "Your least favorite" on MAL Graph, but it should be "Your lowest rated genre". So don't use that site for figuring out your favs/dislikes

A good example would be me. I love watching my ecchi show but it's apparently my most disliked, and I'm not very fond of mecha but it's as my most favorite. All the mecha anime I've seen just happened to be scored high.

That's true, in that case it would be the same for me. I'm also not that fond of mecha.
Having a favourite anime is something nice.

Dec 15, 2012 1:07 PM

Just figured out what MAL graph is... for me it says [well the first one I agree with] Police, that kind of makes sense.. but then again I haven't watched many police anime to begin with. Second would be Parody, which makes sense.

Dec 15, 2012 1:48 PM

don't really have any interest for mecha shows.... but to be perfectly honest I haven't really given it a chance, just looking for one that catches my eye, haven't watched any sport anime as of yet (kuroko no basket is downloading as i type this though) which is really weird as I love sport in real life

Dec 15, 2012 2:30 PM

Harem and Ecchi types are far up there, but the most I'd have to say is..

Romantic Comedies. I really detest how it teases me with romance and then turns it into one large gag. I like romances with a bit of humour yes (my favourites in fact), but comedies tossing in romance for another joke really irritates me. Hence my distaste for LoveCom despite that it is widely considered rather good.

Edit: Ha! MAL Graph is telling me my favourites are Mecha and least favourites are Romance. Oh MAL graph if only you knew..

I think it says Mecha because I love GITS which is slightly Mecha and Hate LoveCom which is "romance" (if you can call it that..) Plus I don't have a very full completed list for it to collect from.
Modified by Amarae, Dec 15, 2012 2:37 PM

Dec 15, 2012 2:57 PM

Shoujo. And a typical shoujo at that. Unpopular girl meets a popular guy and they fall in love and everything's so cuteeeeee. Fuck.

Dec 15, 2012 3:13 PM

I don't think I hate any genre although my least favorite is Sports. Kuroko no Basket is an exception since it has a amazing cast and it don't bore me (that much). xD
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"

Dec 15, 2012 3:26 PM

I don't really get the point in "hating a genre". Romance, Slice of Life, Action, Mecha, and anything else is very capable of having a good show and, of course, a bad show. I don't see the point in completely avoiding a genre.

That said, I haven't watched a Yaoi series. Not that I'm adverse to checking one out or watching anime like, say, Shinsekai Yori that have a subplot like that in the future, though.
Modified by Ston3_FreeN7, Dec 15, 2012 3:34 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia

Dec 15, 2012 3:56 PM

I don't really hate any genre.
My least favorite would have to be slice of life and yaoi.
I'll watch anything if it looks interesting, no matter what genre it is.

Dec 15, 2012 4:05 PM
insan3soldiern said:
I don't really get the point in "hating a genre". Romance, Slice of Life, Action, Mecha, and anything else is very capable of having a good show and, of course, a bad show. I don't see the point in completely avoiding a genre.

This ^ and no matter what I'll probably never watch an ecchi series, or shounen ai.
I also avoid those typical moe high school types though.

Dec 15, 2012 4:16 PM
Sanji Fangirl

Mecha.
I've tried watching a bunch of mecha shows, but i just can't get into it. Not a big fan of robots and stuff.

Dec 15, 2012 4:21 PM

Do that many really dislike Yaoi? Then again I suppose if most anime fans would be heterosexual males I could understand that.

Is it possible to add a poll to this? I would rather like to see that.
Modified by Amarae, Dec 15, 2012 4:26 PM

Dec 15, 2012 4:39 PM

Not a single genre I dislike, but if we're talking Hentai, I don't like Guro, Scat, Yuri, or Yaoi... But in normal Anime, Yaoi and Yuri are all good for me.

Though I do love mecha... Only reason I can think of for so many people disliking it would be the lack of fight scenes every 10 seconds in most of em...:| or the designs... Or the lack of comedy. :|
To the last, I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee. Sink all coffins and all hearses to one common pool!

Dec 15, 2012 5:33 PM

Chibi-Alice said:
Mecha.
I've tried watching a bunch of mecha shows, but i just can't get into it. Not a big fan of robots and stuff.

This, except Infinite Stratos which is actually one of my favorites.

-Yaoi (I'm a straight guy, why would I watch a guy making out with another guy?)
-Sports (except basketball, since I love basketball)
-Mainstream Shounen (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece)

My Youtube page: link

Dec 15, 2012 8:41 PM

Mecha and a few ecchi anime.

I watched so much mecha when I was a kid, now I just can't stand it. As for ecchi, I am fine with it, but for some shows that literally only focus on that more then the actual plot itself I'm not to into.(besides fapping.)

I wouldn't say Yaoi though, because even though I can't watch it, it's more of something that I just can't watch because of more personal reasons versus me just hating it.
Touch me, you filthy casual~

Dec 15, 2012 8:42 PM

Ragix said:
As for ecchi, I am fine with it, but for some shows that literally only focus on that more then the actual plot itself I'm not to into.(besides fapping.)

I don't think much people watch ecchi while expecting a good actual plot.

Dec 15, 2012 8:47 PM

Paul said:
Ragix said:
As for ecchi, I am fine with it, but for some shows that literally only focus on that more then the actual plot itself I'm not to into.(besides fapping.)

You'd be surprised! Some ecchi shows give me something good to fap too while a good story too. like Hotd had a pretty decent plot, also that other ecchi anime with all the super powered girls and the one guy that could never get a girl got like 5 of them... Then all the super powered girls would basically fight each other. I forgot what it was called..
Found it, it was Sekirei.

I'm not picky about ecchi, I know what it is there for, but I just want to have a little more something added to my fap material.
Modified by Ragix, Dec 15, 2012 8:51 PM

Dec 15, 2012 8:53 PM

Ragix said:
Paul said:
Ragix said:

You'd be surprised! Some ecchi shows give me something good to fap too while a good story too. like Hotd had a pretty decent plot, also that other ecchi anime with all the super powered girls and the one guy that could never get a girl got like 5 of them... Then all the super powered girls would basically fight each other. I forgot what it was called..

I think HotD was one of those anime people knew was going to have ecchi (based on the manga) but chose to start watching for the zombie apoc theme but ended up being bombarded with tits.

I find all those super power harem ecchi shows where the girls do all the fighting pretty bad in terms of plot. There are several of them that come to mind such as Hyakka Ryouran, Freezing, Sekirei, etc.

The only anime that comes to mind that surprised people, from what I remember, was Highschool DxD, where people weren't expecting any plot at all, where as it actually had a decent one considering being extremely heavy ecchi.

Dec 15, 2012 8:57 PM

Paul said:
Ragix said:
Paul said:
Ragix said:

I think HotD was one of those anime people knew was going to have ecchi (based on the manga) but chose to start watching for the zombie apoc theme but ended up being bombarded with tits.

I find all those super power harem ecchi shows where the girls do all the fighting pretty bad in terms of plot. There are several of them that come to mind such as Hyakka Ryouran, Freezing, Sekirei, etc.

The only anime that comes to mind that surprised people, from what I remember, was Highschool DxD, where people weren't expecting any plot at all, where as it actually had a decent one considering being extremely heavy ecchi.

Yeah, I actually found the plot in HotD to be decent, but it could have been better if not for the over-excessive ecchi like tits dodging bullets. I know that's what the creator was aiming for, but it didn't exactly work for me to well. That's just what I think though.

Hmm, so Highschool DxD can keep both my brain and penis entertained? I've always heard about it, but never gave it a try. Will watch.

Dec 15, 2012 8:58 PM

Jovoo said:
The Slice of life stuff. I watch anime to get away from my boring life, not to watch other fictional characters' boring lives.

Mentalii said:

Slice of Life - I watched very good slice of life anime, but they're so rare among an amount of extremely boring animes.

I don't particularly like drama, romance, school and slice of life genres, although there are a few anime that I really enjoyed from those genres such as Clannad/After Story and The Melancholy/Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I like the anime from those genres if they offer something that's different and unique and they don't purely focus on the the character's everyday lives.

Dec 15, 2012 8:58 PM

lionheart04 said:

same i started watching anime to forget about my boring life.

Dec 15, 2012 9:07 PM

Jak3 said:
lionheart04 said:

And I am more than certain that most SOL shows are more eventful than your boring life. Which is pretty much why those stories are published and televised while your life will just be a forgotten fart in the annals of time.

Dec 15, 2012 9:43 PM

Anime_Name said:
Jak3 said:
lionheart04 said:

And I am more than certain that most SOL shows are more eventful than your boring life. Which is pretty much why those stories are published and televised while your life will just be a forgotten fart in the annals of time.

This was my thought process, but I suppose people want to see extraordinary things, rather than just ordinary things that are slightly(or vastly depending) more humorous than normal.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »