Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 14, 2012 8:37 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Quite a dialogue heavy episode but enjoyable to watch especially in regards to some of the strange phenomenons going around.

Damn, some of it sure was bloody. I definitely feel sorry for Saki this episode especially on what has happened, the events, and her tears that were shed this episode.

Oh and it's also snowing. That's interesting to see in the New World.
Dec 14, 2012 12:25 PM

Jul 2010
Lots of background info along with some bloody scenes. I could only imagine what Saki is going though.
Dec 14, 2012 3:28 PM
Dec 2012
Hi, I was just wondering where you found the episode to watch? All I can find are raws.
Dec 14, 2012 5:06 PM
Nov 2012
Well that really was interesting as per usual with this series.

Love the way that there's a lot that's unknown with this, suspense is both brilliant and cruel, it makes it such a pain to wait each week.
"Feelings of love are just a temporary lapse in judgement. Like a kind of mental illness."
- Suzumiya Haruhi
Dec 14, 2012 8:55 PM

May 2011
Shit, now mamoru disappear? This is definitely a bad sign.

A snow in new world? That's interesting.
Dec 14, 2012 9:01 PM
Sep 2012
Best episode yet.

Finally, an explanation about those Fiends and of what's going on in their world. 1000 people killed by K - WOW that's crazy.
SilentTruth said:
Shit, now mamoru disappear? This is definitely a bad sign.

A snow in new world? That's interesting.
I know right. All of Saki's friends has shit happening to them.
Stark700 said:

Quite a dialogue heavy episode but enjoyable to watch especially in regards to some of the strange phenomenons going around.

Damn, some of it sure was bloody. I definitely feel sorry for Saki this episode especially on what has happened, the events, and her tears that were shed this episode.

Oh and it's also snowing. That's interesting to see in the New World.
I feel sorry for that girl since she really didn't so anything to deserve her fate. K is just a psychopath.

LOL snow.
Dec 14, 2012 9:09 PM

Jun 2011
Sometimes the plot makes me want to drop this anime, and sometimes to love it.
I love it this time.

So...
Dec 14, 2012 9:29 PM

Aug 2011
Yes, this is the episode that we needed! I still think Grandma Asahina looks way too damn young though.

By the way, does anyone still remember what Saki said about Maria in one of the earliest episodes? I seriously have been waiting for 10 episodes for Maria to do something bad...
Dec 14, 2012 9:50 PM

Dec 2011
Oh... so the threats of their world is the Karma Demons and Fiends?
It was interesting to see how humans becomes either one.

The more we get enlightened on this show... the more question appears.
This anime is so baffling.

Also, I didn't expect that Saki is the next candidate for the Ethics Committee.
It is true that she remained sane compared to her friends.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2012 9:51 PM

Oct 2011
zx321 said:
Hi, I was just wondering where you found the episode to watch? All I can find are raws.

I just went to animefreak.tv, they have the newest episode up already. Sometimes I just google up Aidoru subs and torrent it from there when they are done. Hahaha majority of the time I just wait for my friend (walk) to give me the link 'cause she is better at checking than I am.
---
itsvero said:
Yes, this is the episode that we needed! I still think Grandma Asahina looks way too damn young though.

By the way, does anyone still remember what Saki said about Maria in one of the earliest episodes? I seriously have been waiting for 10 episodes for Maria to do something bad...

You are completely right about the grandmother, I thought she was WAY too young to even be called a "grandmother". But hey, maybe she had Satoru's father/mother at a really young age. I don't know, I just thought she was really beautiful and really smart and centered.

And yeah, I remember the Saki/Maria thing. I read a spoiler of what is gonna happen, so I'll just give you a little sneak peek (just a little clue) so it can ease your anxiety.

---
Anyway, this episode was magnificent. My favorite part just had to be everything that happened with K. I thought it was so well shown. I did know what a fiend was from the beginning and I understand the concept, but actually seeing an example of one was really great. All that he can do and all the power he had and how uncontrollable it all seemed was outstanding. Great, great, great part. Everything was explained nicely and I like how the grandmother wasn't afraid to explain things to Saki. She didn't treat her like a child.

I actually did not see Mamoru disappearing at all. That was so sudden and surprising. I really look forward to seeing why he ran off and what will happen to him. I mean he didn't have much mental strength to begin with, but to finally see something set him off so much that he ran, that is pretty interesting.

Also, I am not surprised that Grandma Asahina chose Saki to succeed her, Saki really has shown a calm demeanor is major situations where others *cough*Mamoru*cough* are usually freaking out. I enjoyed this overall. Gave us a lot of great information and really filled some gaps. (Only to create a couple more... of course...) ヽ(*・ω・)ノ
Dec 14, 2012 10:11 PM

Nov 2009
love watching this anime. it always makes me keep wondering want new thing is going to be dumped in the next episode
]
Dec 14, 2012 10:25 PM

Jul 2012
Really liked the explanations and flashbacks, they're what really got me interested in this show in the first place.

Human rights at 17?! Thats crayz!

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Dec 14, 2012 10:31 PM

Jun 2009
This show just gets better and better!!

Fuck yeah!

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link... Guess Mamoru is going to mess something up, which will lead to Maria causing mass death...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 14, 2012 10:35 PM

Mar 2012
It is interesting how relateable their world is to our, although not as extreme of course.
Fiend or K is like classic psychopath, who randomly snapped one day and decide to go massacre people in mass shooting. Like that tragedy today in Connecticut.
Karma Demon is like people who are gifted with great ability to influence other, but they use it for a evil cause. Like Hitler, Bin Laden, who are able to convince normal people to do great evil.

In their world, they weed out the bud before it get problematic, but we mostly ignore the problem before it is too late. This bring up an interesting philosophical topic. Utilitarians philosophers believe any price is worth it as long as the result is net benefit to society, but other believe it is our duty to give equal right to all regardless of the cost.

You may think our world is not as at risk as their, but we were really close to annihilation couple times in history, like Cuban missiles crisis. Their solution certainly won't fit our world, but it make you think...
Dec 14, 2012 11:18 PM
Oct 2010
tragic ep. K was rather fucking disturbed. the scene where he snapped was really fucked up i found it.

the story about the girl really made me want to cry though. such a tragic fate for such a nice young girl. then watching her take her life was so sad
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Dec 14, 2012 11:24 PM

Sep 2009
Arggh. I want full version of the ED so much. 1st OST contained only TV-size one (((.

Saki has more and more chances to get in my TOP-character list
Dec 14, 2012 11:57 PM

Aug 2009
leeo268 said:

Karma Demon is like people who are gifted with great ability to influence other, but they use it for a evil cause. Like Hitler, Bin Laden, who are able to convince normal people to do great evil.

Have you actually watched this episode? They do not use it for evil causes, they do not use it at all. They simply cannot control they power, which take random form which in result influences reality in a bad way. But without any bad intentions for the most part...
Dec 15, 2012 12:57 AM

Nov 2012
Sicilian said:
leeo268 said:

Have you actually watched this episode? They do not use it for evil causes, they do not use it at all. They simply cannot control they power, which take random form which in result influences reality in a bad way. But without any bad intentions for the most part...

@leo are you really watching this anime?
Karma Demons are people that cant control they're cantus, it's being controlled by their subconscious, while Fiends are people who are full of hatred/anger inside their hearts and being manifested trough their cantus.

btw, all of the mysteries are solved for now, great episode 10/5 :D

Special thanks to Gabu for this amazing avatar & sig set!!
Dec 15, 2012 12:59 AM

Jan 2011
Oh no I hope Mamoru is- HOLY SHIT
[center]
Dec 15, 2012 1:24 AM

Nov 2011
We finally understand what is going on in this crazy world.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Dec 15, 2012 1:25 AM
Dec 2010
VioLink said:

How did you even spot that?!
My mind was too busy being mystified to seek out cleavage!
Dec 15, 2012 1:37 AM

Nov 2011
Where on earth can you find a Grandma that looks like that?

Edit: Is it me, or is Maria looking more and more like a Rozen Maiden?
The Art of Eight
Dec 15, 2012 1:41 AM
Dec 2009
VioLink said:

Dude you eyes are as sharp as a razor.

This episode went by extremely quickly again. Did not expect Saki to be a candidate for the Ethics Committee.
Dec 15, 2012 2:02 AM

Jan 2011
Botagar said:
VioLink said:

KingOfNoodles said:
VioLink said:

This episode went by extremely quickly again. Did not expect Saki to be a candidate for the Ethics Committee.

Did you guys miss them here also?

The episode went by fast for me also which is weird since it was dialogue heavy.
[center]
Dec 15, 2012 2:07 AM

May 2011
leeo268 said:
It is interesting how relateable their world is to our, although not as extreme of course.
Fiend or K is like classic psychopath, who randomly snapped one day and decide to go massacre people in mass shooting. Like that tragedy today in Connecticut.

And just like in Conn. the victims didn't have the means to defend themselves. "death feedback" is a double edged sword. Yes, it prevents some people from hurting others out of anger. But it also stops them from being able to fight back in a dire situation like when a psychopath like K comes along.

leeo268 said:

No it's not it at all. Karma demons are simply people who lose the ability to control their Cantus and their subconscious flows outward endlessly. Either their mental abilities aren't strong enough and lose control like the girl that Granny was talking about. Or in Shun's case, they have anxiety attacks that cause them to lose focus and thus also lose control, hence why Shun was constantly playing with meditation balls to try and maintain focus.

leeo268 said:

In their world, they weed out the bud before it get problematic, but we mostly ignore the problem before it is too late. This bring up an interesting philosophical topic. Utilitarians philosophers believe any price is worth it as long as the result is net benefit to society, but other believe it is our duty to give equal right to all regardless of the cost.

Yeah, it's similar to "Minority Report" in that your punished before you have a chance to become the monster they fear.

In some ways it's the price they pay from wanting the perfect society. They make everyone a sheep by psychologically removing their ability to defend against others. When a wolf shows up in sheep's clothing they're powerless to stop them. So they preemptively kill all potential wolves using vicious pets and servants they can control.

They'd rather slaughter many people who might become a threat than give up their "utopian" style society where no person can harm another.

leeo268 said:

You may think our world is not as at risk as their, but we were really close to annihilation couple times in history, like Cuban missiles crisis. Their solution certainly won't fit our world, but it make you think...

I would rather point out that this series seems to be mimicking mental health care in japan. Which there is none. The society would rather pretend that issues don't exist rather than deal with them.

In Shinsekai, they constantly try and wipe and negativity from the minds of children cause they're incapable or unwilling to tackle the issues. Worst case scenario is that potential problems are discarded like post birth abortions rather than dealt with in another fashion.

In Japan, some doctors tell patients who have issues to go learn English cause Gaijins are more likely to listen to your problems.

Problem children are sent to places like New Zealand as a means to keep them away from the family and community. There was a recent murder at a "Japanese" school in New Zealand. The parents told the children not to say anything to investigators cause they didn't want people to find out about them being there.

People who get treated for self inflicted wounds(attempted suicides) aren't even given psychological help. If a doctor even suggests it he's yelled at by family members.

"Crazy" people are shunned and it also spreads to the family reputation which means everything in Japan society. So instead of dealing with issues. families do their best to bury mental problems.
CirrisDec 15, 2012 2:33 AM
Dec 15, 2012 2:24 AM

Sep 2012
DAMN, K went elfen lied on his classmates and more.
This series is getting better and better.
Dec 15, 2012 2:29 AM
Nov 2012
So, is Maria going to become a fiend? Just like Shun read his own story of the Karma Demon, she read the fiend story. I mean, how else would she be responsible for the death of many people?
Dec 15, 2012 2:51 AM

Oct 2011
VioLink said:

Hahaha I did catch them here and the other time back, I thought it was just my eyes playing tricks on me, but I guess not. So wonderfully random.
ilion4o said:
So, is Maria going to become a fiend? Just like Shun read his own story of the Karma Demon, she read the fiend story. I mean, how else would she be responsible for the death of many people?

I can spoil you if you like.
Dec 15, 2012 3:21 AM

Jul 2012
VioLink said:

Lolz, she was appeared once in the episode 1, when Saki say hello to her new class , delicious loli with potential boobs.
Dec 15, 2012 3:24 AM
Sep 2012
QuiGonJon said:
Really liked the explanations and flashbacks, they're what really got me interested in this show in the first place.

Human rights at 17?! Thats crayz!

Well, basically every baby have chance to become walking Chernobyl or Mr. Blood Seeker, so it's normal. They must examine those children especially their brain to know if they have abnormality. Even after that, their human right can ended if they have no cantus or cannot control their power.

I wonder why kind and clever people turn into Karma Demon

Cirris said:

In Japan, some doctors tell patients who have issues to go learn English cause Gaijins are more likely to listen to your problems.

Problem children are sent to places like New Zealand as a means to keep them away from the family and community. There was a recent murder at a "Japanese" school in New Zealand. The parents told the children not to say anything to investigators cause they didn't want people to find out about them being there.

People who get treated for self inflicted wounds(attempted suicides) aren't even given psychological help. If a doctor even suggests it he's yelled at by family members.

"Crazy" people are shunned and it also spreads to the family reputation which means everything in Japan society. So instead of dealing with issues. families do their best to bury mental problems.

That was f*cking crazy society. Japanese must be full tough people so their society not collapse at all
HongISfirEDec 15, 2012 3:31 AM
Dec 15, 2012 3:39 AM
Nov 2012
If you remember, in the second episode, Shun read the story about the Karma Demon while in the first episode Maria read the story about the fiend.

We know what happened to Shun in the end, so what does that tell us about Maria?

What I think...

kpk10Dec 15, 2012 4:03 AM
Dec 15, 2012 4:27 AM

Sep 2012
Fantastic!
Dec 15, 2012 5:22 AM

Sep 2009
Why are these episodes so short. I wish I just saved shinsekai yori until it finished airing.
Dec 15, 2012 5:30 AM

Jul 2012
KingOfNoodles said:
VioLink said:

I actually saw that too haha but didn't know if my mind was just playing a trick on me.

Disregarding that:

Man this episode was fantastic!
It had the same amazing feeling as the first few episodes. The dark mystery and the weird society they live in.

I even shed a few tears when the one girl swallowed the pills and the sad piano music kicked in.

I'm so happy about what a fantastic anime it is.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Dec 15, 2012 8:19 AM

Feb 2012
it was nice.
Dec 15, 2012 8:49 AM
Oct 2010
The ep was amazing!
I wonder what will happen to Mamoru... can't wait for the next ep!
Dec 15, 2012 9:09 AM
Nov 2010
Another good episode. Why is this show so underrated?

AirStyles said:
This show just gets better and better!!

Fuck yeah!
indeed it is
Dec 15, 2012 9:10 AM
Nov 2010
VioLink said:
Botagar said:
VioLink said:

KingOfNoodles said:
VioLink said:

Did you guys miss them here also?

The episode went by fast for me also which is weird since it was dialogue heavy.
I noticed those scenes as well.
Dec 15, 2012 9:38 AM

Aug 2010
I think it would be better, more human, to give the "fiends" and "karma demons" what they need instead of disposing of them: counseling and training, respectively. As magic IS on the rise, their current system won't keep it in check forever.
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Dec 15, 2012 10:04 AM

May 2011
That episode was very nice. The scene explaining everything about K and the girl were well done. Sometimes, this anime remind me of Higurashi a little. It's interesting. The Death Feedback syndrome is really starting to be a double edged sword. Pretty sad to see they were unable to fight back when K attacked them even tho they had the power to do so. His story spoke to me more than the girl's story. Maybe because I still can't get over Shun's death. At least, Shun didn't go rampage in the village.

Like some people said, I am also thinking Maria will be the Fiend at this point or it will be related to her. The Girl had a 'Poison' Cantus kinda. Maria doesn't fit the description. And wasn't the part at the end of the episode we're thinking of mentioning something about her Child ? I guess we'll just have to wait to see more about this.
Mamoru disappearing also bring up question regarding that Theory. But I'm thinking his disappearance will make Saki accept the proposition of becoming the Head of the Ethics Committee.

myuun said:
I actually did not see Mamoru disappearing at all. That was so sudden and surprising. I really look forward to seeing why he ran off and what will happen to him. I mean he didn't have much mental strength to begin with, but to finally see something set him off so much that he ran, that is pretty interesting.

I can only Agree with all that. Maybe he was just scared as usual... I wouldn't be surprise about that. I'll also agree with you about what you said regarding Saki being in the Ethics Committee. With everything that happened... She learned she had a sister. The boy she loved dies right in front of her and she's unable to remember everything correctly. She learns about the kind of society she lives in. She learned a lot about herself and everyone else. She told her friend some of it but she stayed very calm all this time and didn't go crazy. Everything had an effect on them. Mamoru being the weakest, it had a greater effect on him. Saki however stayed the same. It was bothering me a lot until now. I felt like her character didn't have any dept but I guess I was wrong. She wouldn't be this far otherwise.

She will take the offer ! Pretty sure and she'll also remember Shun again.

------

Cirris said:
In some ways it's the price they pay from wanting the perfect society. They make everyone a sheep by psychologically removing their ability to defend against others. When a wolf shows up in sheep's clothing they're powerless to stop them. So they preemptively kill all potential wolves using vicious pets and servants they can control.

They'd rather slaughter many people who might become a threat than give up their "utopian" style society where no person can harm another.

Just found it very interesting. It's pretty sad when you think about it. They pay a lot for living in their little utopia. It would have been easy to deal with 'Wolf' if they didn't become this kind of society in the first place.
Dec 15, 2012 10:10 AM

Jul 2012
The story got cool
Dec 15, 2012 11:01 AM

Feb 2010
Wow... K backstory was brutal. I love hearing about this societies history... The fiends... Karma demons... The cats...

Love this show.
Dec 15, 2012 11:03 AM

Jun 2011
This episode has a lot of gore! And I love how the story is developing... probably, one of the best animes of the season (and of the year), I don't understand why it's so underrated.
"Nobody knows what the future holds. That's why its potential is infinite"- Rintarou Okabe
Dec 15, 2012 11:18 AM

Feb 2009
Aw man Mamoru! I never would have guess he would have been next.
Dec 15, 2012 11:44 AM

Apr 2012
Z-flame said:

Won't start a discussion about an anime being under-/overrated or what would be an accurate rating for Shinsekai, but its rating got better after episode 8 again and is rising for the moment despite little by little. After the homosexual intense ep was over and all the people who got butthurt by it dropped the show, or at least a lot of them:

The dots indicate the rating/change of rating for this anime episode for episode. Starting at Episode 0. (yes, 0, the initial rating before the actual airing; up to ep 11 for now)

I agree, a lot of dialogue. Usually I dislike that very much, but it was okay here. Gave us some "secret" background information. But the animation was a bit fluctating at the start again.. Despite that I really like this dark and gloomy anime. It's different from the usual stuff.
nantukoDec 15, 2012 11:49 AM
Dec 15, 2012 11:46 AM

Oct 2012
Great episode!!! Everything is tarting to make sense.
Looks like the two stories that were taught to the children in previous - Akki and Gouma - episodes were a silent warning. They don't want more tragedies happening.
"A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link"
Mamoru justified those words. The Ethics Committee is more preoccupied and keeping a close eye on weak-spirited children, such as Mamoru.

This show is just so great. Can't get enough of this wonderful and intriguing plot! >///<
"We should be more proud of NEETs! Love the country that strives to produce NEETs, for world peace, we must stand up! We must find more non NEET-in-waiting elites, learn from each other , form a new Japanese Party, and bravely challenge the evil! Grow, NEETs! Grow like blazing fire! NEETs!”
Dec 15, 2012 12:11 PM

Sep 2012
Z-flame said:

A combination of those elements:

Inconsistent directing, heavy dialog, complex story, yaoi.
Dec 15, 2012 12:18 PM

Mar 2009
I agree with what Cirris said about this show as a reflection on Japan's stance on mental health issues. Japan also has the highest suicide rate for first world countries. The idea of just ignoring it has results like in the recent massacre in the US and in the case of K.
K was psychologically abused by his mother his whole life. Their society decided to ignore this and let the abuse continue although they saw they effect it had on K. Something the teacher said must have set him off. It seems to me that this was a case of his brain setting off a defence mechanism, fight or flight, but with Cantus, it was like putting a gun in his hand and saying "If you kill them all they can't hurt you".

Why after hundreds of years of studying Cantus had they not seen the correlation between mental health and the effects of control over Cantus seems a little much to me. But then again this is a reflection on Japan's stance of ignoring the health of the most important organ in the body. I'm sure in other countries they figured it out, I mean really "Mental psychic powers = they come from the brain = healthier the brain the more stable the powers"

Being a Karma Demon sucks the most... it's only the nicest people though so I wouldn't have to worry. LOL

I guess I can see why they killed the children with that potential. It's like until recently in history, if a baby was deformed in any way they left it outside to die, but in this case you can't know the mental state a child will have, so you're only human when you are not a child anymore.
uniquelyme91Dec 15, 2012 12:23 PM
Cat Love

Dec 15, 2012 12:46 PM

Mar 2011
This series is so lush!

I felt that was one of the more exciting episodes we've had in a while and it was mostly dialogue!

So glad this is a double-season-er!
Dec 15, 2012 12:49 PM
Nov 2010
SetsukoHara said:
Z-flame said:

A combination of those elements:

Inconsistent directing, heavy dialog, complex story, yaoi.
are you saying that other shows that are popular don't have that?
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.