Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Soul Eater
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jul 24, 2010 4:49 AM

Apr 2010
This episode was really interesting and exciting with all the stuff going on with Black Star and Maka; it makes me want to know more and more about Black Star!

They managed to resonate as a team; which was really sweet.

I hope Stein can hold this 'madness' for abit longer!

The preview looks interesting I'm excited!
Aug 5, 2010 4:09 PM
Jul 2010
I´ve the felling that this was the waekest episode of all i´ve seen untill now.

The deer was cool and Steins madness too, but the whole crying and punching-in-the-face part was in my eyes overacting and just embrassing. The idea of a fight between two totally different characters is Interresting but in this way it looks just childish.

FennekAug 6, 2010 1:00 AM
Wer spät schlafen geht, der weiß was das Wort Morgengrauen bedeutet.
Nov 18, 2010 11:23 AM

Dec 2008
Oh, Stein! Please pull yourself together!!
Dec 2, 2010 11:18 PM

May 2008
wow, subs for me sucked on this one.

"Arach of Phobia"? You really thought the no was possessive here?
and "Shuusen" at the end... maybe Shibusen?

That said, I liked and didn't like this episode. The fact that Black Star was still his arrogant old self and didn't apologize whatsoever really ticked me off.
theeggman85Dec 2, 2010 11:37 PM
Mar 29, 2011 12:46 AM

Aug 2009
I really want to see Stein go berserk, I want to see what he's like when he truly lets go.

The animation in this ep was pretty good. Still can't believe Black Star actually hit her...
Good ep overall.

Apr 8, 2011 9:59 PM

Oct 2008
Both BS and Maka annoyed me.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 7, 2011 2:34 PM

Jul 2010
damn, that was one hell of a punch!!

Jul 9, 2011 2:14 AM

Oct 2010
theeggman85 said:
wow, subs for me sucked on this one.

"Arach of Phobia"? You really thought the no was possessive here?
and "Shuusen" at the end... maybe Shibusen?

We probably watched the same subs. XD; And, yeah, it totally sucked.

Loved the episode because everyone looked cool emitting blue aura. HAHAHA <3
[insert awesome signature here]
Oct 15, 2011 12:06 PM

Jun 2010
Yeah, I guess this series isn't inventive enough to avoid maudlin friendship episodes like this...even though it never even spent any time establishing friendships in the first place.
FronzelOct 15, 2011 6:43 PM
Oct 15, 2011 4:25 PM

Apr 2011
When i saw this episode i was like;
"Dude... Lame."
Mar 30, 2012 10:35 AM

Jan 2012
Fight it Stein!

I love this group of friends, not gonna lie, they kinda make me teary eyed sometimes.
May 16, 2012 10:12 AM

Jun 2011
Poor Stein, I need images of his Madness, PRONTO!
Jul 1, 2012 8:22 AM

Mar 2010
black star REALLY pissed me off in this episode. infact, the whole moral compass of this ep seemed to be off. black star was being a complete cocky douchebag for NO reason; i wanted maka to put him in his place but it never happened and he instead makes her cry, and doesn't even APOLOGIZE for it in the end. while everyone makes maka believe that she's in the wrong when black star seemed to be the one unwilling to work with the team and going against the rest of them? no one argues when maka is being the better person and says that it was her fault and she was bringing the team down, black star never comes out and says he's sorry for how he was wrongfully treating the situation. infact i don't understand how they even managed to soul resonate in the end because maka was the only one who seemed to learn a so called lesson from this episode. even though apparently the lesson was accept people for who they are, even if they're an unrepentant ASSHOLE, and somehow you'll come to a complete understanding and everything will be okay.

the icing on the cake was despite all this and black star still seems to have learned absolutely nothing from this, punches maka in the face full force at the end of the episode. great lesson to everyone. be like maka, guys. take horrible treatment and abuse from your friends, just accept them and everything will be okay even if you're being abused in the long run.
Jul 15, 2012 2:24 PM

Jun 2012
this episode made me lose a lot of respect for Maka! She needs to chill out!
EL. PHY. CONGROO.

Jul 31, 2012 7:21 AM

Jun 2011
I don't understand why everyone is up on Maka. Black Star was being a total douche.
If I had a friend constantly saying he/she was the best. Gosh I'm such a big star I'd punch them
in their face and NO I wouldn't apologize.
Aug 25, 2012 8:20 PM

Feb 2012
Hmm, so war is beggining, I'm eager to see what'll happen!
Aug 27, 2012 11:32 AM

Nov 2009
"This will turn into a massive battle" I like the sound of that.

Yes they were acting childish, but everyone does sometime. They're only supposed to be like what in their mid teens? So some immaturity is to be expected.
Sep 13, 2012 10:26 AM
Aug 2012
I really hate a Maka! She is very stupid and crazy! I happy because Black Star good beat her!
I think, group resonanse it is a very intresting and cool!
I start to watching 34 episode!
Yeah!)
Oct 18, 2012 4:53 PM

Sep 2011
Its time for the war! Looking forward to it! :D
Oct 23, 2012 2:52 PM
Jul 2012
Good episode.
Black star is actully good. Liked how what he did to Maka.
4/5
Nov 10, 2012 7:41 AM

Sep 2008
disco said:
black star REALLY pissed me off in this episode. infact, the whole moral compass of this ep seemed to be off. black star was being a complete cocky douchebag for NO reason; i wanted maka to put him in his place but it never happened and he instead makes her cry, and doesn't even APOLOGIZE for it in the end. while everyone makes maka believe that she's in the wrong when black star seemed to be the one unwilling to work with the team and going against the rest of them? no one argues when maka is being the better person and says that it was her fault and she was bringing the team down, black star never comes out and says he's sorry for how he was wrongfully treating the situation. infact i don't understand how they even managed to soul resonate in the end because maka was the only one who seemed to learn a so called lesson from this episode. even though apparently the lesson was accept people for who they are, even if they're an unrepentant ASSHOLE, and somehow you'll come to a complete understanding and everything will be okay.

the icing on the cake was despite all this and black star still seems to have learned absolutely nothing from this, punches maka in the face full force at the end of the episode. great lesson to everyone. be like maka, guys. take horrible treatment and abuse from your friends, just accept them and everything will be okay even if you're being abused in the long run.

Yeah, I agree 100% with you. I didn't have anything against Black Star before (since him being full of himself was mostly shown in humorous ways before this), but after this he's gonna have to work hard to redeem himself in my eyes. What a complete asshole. Maka asking to be punched in the end annoyed me as well, she did NOT owe that to Black Star. =/
Nov 19, 2012 2:25 AM

Jun 2009
Pretty good episode. Liked the stuff between Maka and Black Star. Soul is becoming very "cool" as well, which is interesting because he's all but stopped using that catch phrase. My one complaint is that the confrontation between the two of them sort of came out of nowhere. Especially Black Star seemed to be acting strange.
Ston3_FreeN7Nov 19, 2012 2:28 AM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 12, 2012 9:48 AM

May 2012
Damn you Black Star! How dare you hurt my girl Maka!

It doesn't matter how much Tsubaki sugercoats him, he's still an asshole. He's loud, he's obnoxious, he's an idiot, there's really not anything likable about him. You might say "he went to Spider Lady's place and avenged her!", to that i say - i think it was just an excuse for him to flex his muscles and show off.

Also, i firmly believe that "The Power of Friendship" is one of the most contrived plot-devices ever. Death and Maka seem okay, but how can she be still be friends with Black Star when they hate each other's guts?
who_dat_ninjaDec 15, 2012 12:21 PM
Feb 9, 2013 4:12 AM

Jan 2012
Meh. Black Star is annoying.

Mar 21, 2013 8:10 AM

May 2012
Not the best episode, slow pace and rather boring but actually quite an important episode, now that they properly teamed up things might get more interesting! Especially with that ending!
Jun 22, 2013 4:57 PM

Feb 2012
Glad Maka is the leader and not Black Star.
Sep 20, 2013 9:46 AM
Sep 2013
I have only 4 words to say about this ep,
BBaakkaa nnaa maka chan!!!!
Sep 21, 2013 3:13 AM

Jul 2013
ownosourus said:
Meh. Black Star is annoying.

Ikr. He's always so cocky and selfish, and I couldn't blame Maka for snapping! However, her whining was annoying me, too.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Mar 30, 2014 5:38 AM

Sep 2013
Fffffffuck.

I'm almost exactly like Maka in terms of personality and thinking.

This wasn't easy to watch.

On the other hand, Maka is becoming quite the punching bag.
nep-nepMar 30, 2014 5:41 AM
Apr 16, 2014 8:52 PM

Jul 2007
insan3Spectre said:
Pretty good episode. Liked the stuff between Maka and Black Star. Soul is becoming very "cool" as well, which is interesting because he's all but stopped using that catch phrase. My one complaint is that the confrontation between the two of them sort of came out of nowhere. Especially Black Star seemed to be acting strange.

Black star in some ways reminds me of naruto. He is arrogant, selfish and pretty obnoxious, he thinks he can handle anything him self. (That is pretty much naruto in a nut shell) But the quality behind black star is he does not back down for nothing and that in tern gives him incredible stamina and strength to keep on going. I really admire that kind of tenacity, though he may seem like a jerk at times. Most enemies and characters in this series really recognize his talent as being some one not to trifle with.

Regarding the conflict between black star and Maka, i really never found it to be completely out of the blue. In all honestly that is really black stars personality. He may of shown love for his friends at times but he has always been a self arragent kid and if some one insults him in anyway or belittles him, he doesn't not take kindly to it. That is essentially what maka did, was not only told on him to try and get him kicked out of the group but also spouted lines of nonsense about how he's slowing down the group when in actuality he was doing better then all of them.
ArtimesGamerApr 16, 2014 8:56 PM

Apr 18, 2014 1:41 PM
Apr 2014
disco said:

^This, especially regarding the moral compass seeming a bit off. I rarely if ever noticed tension of that magnitude between Maka and Black Star, so it seemed a bit out of the blue. Black Star was acting pretty OOC there too, I hadn't seen him like that before. However:
link9us said:
Regarding the conflict between black star and Maka, i really never found it to be completely out of the blue. In all honestly that is really black stars personality. He may of shown love for his friends at times but he has always been a self arragent kid and if some one insults him in anyway or belittles him, he doesn't not take kindly to it. That is essentially what maka did, was not only told on him to try and get him kicked out of the group but also spouted lines of nonsense about how he's slowing down the group when in actuality he was doing better then all of them.

I hadn't looked at it that way. It is indeed his personality to get really mad at those who don't agree with him, friends or not. We've seen that in previous episodes already, this simply made it clear he has been taking it too much to the extreme. Hitting Maka like that would have been unacceptable for everyone else, but it is in his personality too to not hold back. I'm still a bit miffed he didn't seem troubled by his own actions in the least, though. His reactions to Maka were a bit over the top, and rather uncalled for.

On another note, Stein is not staying sane for a lot longer; I'm hoping this show gets a bit darker in the next dozen episodes. Aside from me not understanding the reactions of some of the characters, this was one of the better episodes of the anime. I especially liked the music here; I hadn't really paid attention to it before, but it adds to the story, and the piano makes me think it will only become more important. It seems like it's finally kicking into gear, and even though I might be looking too much into it, to me there's a lot of symbolism in this anime. I just might read the manga after this, seeing as how the ending seems to be so terrible.
UnleashTheGoatApr 18, 2014 1:46 PM
"Though mountains crack, and ice will thaw

Though walls will fall, to tooth and claw

Though stars will fade, and shadow spread

On the heights we stood, with iron red.

And as they died, they killed the dead.
Dec 10, 2014 11:07 AM

Aug 2014
They're a perfect team...
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Mar 8, 2015 3:12 AM

Jun 2013
It's true that Maka was acting childish... but Black Star isn't the pinnacle of maturity either. Still, even if Black Star didn't really learn anything now, at least Maka did. I guess humoring your friends and swallowing your pride for the sake of being able to pass a test can work sometimes. Power of friendship, bla bla bla. Anyways, I enjoyed this one, despite all the teen drama. Or because of it? I'm not sure myself.

And it looks like Stein and Soul are still holding on to their sanity... for now. That reminds me: some people apparently complained about the characterization being all over the place. True, it could be that. But you could argue that the Kishin's "madness waves" are affecting them all, acting all kinds of weird. But yeah, that is a really convenient way to explain away bad writing.

LeeTailorMar 8, 2015 3:25 AM
Jul 1, 2015 6:06 AM

Mar 2015
Oh wow, he actually punched her
Dec 12, 2015 12:36 PM

Jan 2015
That's why I like Black Star!!
Sep 4, 2016 7:00 AM

May 2013
Another really entertaining episode. This series has really grown on me. I understand where Maka is coming from, Black Star would be the most annoying person to have to work with but I'm happy she found a way to make it happen
Fuck it. Every signature I upload ends up removed anyways.
Dec 28, 2016 4:27 AM

Jul 2008
Sometimes I really want to slug Blackstar too.
Mar 3, 2017 5:33 PM

Jan 2013
Jiraya ... uhm I mean the little devil inside Soul still not getting his way.
Surprised Black Star actually properly hit Maka.

Fantastic episode though.
Sep 17, 2017 3:42 AM
Jul 2018
Probably the most annoying I've seen of maka when she whined.
But black star was such a douche, I got so annoyed with him the whole episode.
Nov 1, 2018 3:36 AM

Mar 2016
Finally! An episode where characters train to get more powerful!

I was only expecting a powerup-only kind of episode, but the emotional scenes of this episode are truly welcomed. Why Maka was so ticked off at Black Star at the beginning of the episode was not really explained, I guess it's her jealousy for Black Star's more powerful soul and the fact that she can't resonate with him. But man, Maka accepting Black Star was a really nice character development!

Black Star is one badass savage! He doesn't hold back when training, insulting or fighting against others! He clearly shows Maka's place compared to him when Maka was pissed off, and that was some real punch he did on Maka!
Apr 23, 2019 11:40 PM

Dec 2018
Maka should have used Maka Chop when fighting with Black Star,lol. Gotta hand it to him though he got the guts to hit a girl. Unlike Naruto. That's what differs him from Naruto.
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Nov 28, 2019 12:04 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Great episode for Black Star and Maka, I wish Soul was more here for Maka, he looks like he don't care of her
Jan 9, 2020 4:36 PM

May 2016
Fighting is something that can happen even to the closest of friends and it was difficult to watch Maka and Black Star act so toxic to each other because of both of them refusing to adjust for the other. It's a relief that Tsubaki's calm and understanding nature helped Maka realize what she's been doing wrong, acting way too serious over a test. Their bitter fight made the results of their reconciliation shine brighter than ever so I'm happy for that.

Black Star actually not holding back on punching Maka back was hilarious, startling, and unexpected yet kind of expected from his character.

Stein's getting closer to losing himself, yikes.

May 14, 2020 10:37 PM

Dec 2016
Wow definitely didn't expect a conflict this dense ever happening among those two.

Made me hate Black Star for the first time, and why the hell didn't Soul intervene to defend his partner =/
Aug 16, 2020 7:14 AM

Sep 2019
Ferien said:
Wow definitely didn't expect a conflict this dense ever happening among those two.

Made me hate Black Star for the first time, and why the hell didn't Soul intervene to defend his partner =/
bro you didn't even understand the episode. U seem a Naruto fan so let's think maka as Sakura and black★star as Naruto. She's just scared that she's getting behind but she doesn't wanna recognize that fact.

What u want black★star would be like sorry let's be friends again? That's not the type he is, he always says that he's the best so it's natural that he won't approve anyone bringing him down.
Nov 3, 2022 10:30 PM

Apr 2016
I did not liked this one at all, both Maka and Black Star were written like this was just the one of the firsts episodes for the sake of some drama between but also one that had a easy resolution, Maka was jealous, lash out against Black Star, tries to get him out of the team, Stein call her out for being the actual wrong, Tsubaki actually "help" sort out her thoughts and then at the end Maka is named the leader just because she finally stopped being the worst at the whole soul-sync-thing without acknowledging the whole Soul's inner struggle thing, mmm ok; Black Star was a weird jerk and that's it; Kid barely did anything.

One would think Maka is more than aware than Black Star is strong because he train very hard for it so her getting mad at him out of jealousy when is not like she's spending her time training made the whole conflict more out of character.

Kid should have been named the leader.
Nov 16, 2022 12:44 PM
May 2020
Black Star is an idiot
Dec 1, 2022 8:16 PM
Nov 2022
“there’s no need to force understanding. acknowledge each other’s senses and trust each other. understanding will follow.” given that this is what soul resonance means, i love how soul eater conveys this message all throughout!
Dec 10, 2022 11:22 AM

Dec 2018
i seriously thought he'd just give her a little bop but black star went all in lmao
Aug 27, 2023 10:17 PM

Oct 2020
I can understand how resonance between a meister and weapon works with those ultimate moves but they haven't really shown how resonance between multiple meisters and weapons manifests
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Darkreaper70 - Jun 2, 2008

145 by WispyUmbra »»
Apr 2, 1:07 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

xLtay - Jul 22, 2008

115 by AnimatedAddict »»
Mar 31, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

WinterNightsFall - Jul 16, 2008

101 by AnimatedAddict »»
Mar 31, 6:52 PM

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Darkreaper70 - Apr 28, 2008

116 by MORANGA »»
Mar 31, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Soul Eater Episode 51 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cbkh915 - Mar 30, 2009

614 by Biisoo »»
Mar 30, 1:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.