Forum Settings
Forums

Day 16: Another + Another: The Other - Inga, post your rating and discuss.

New
Dec 10, 2012 4:08 PM

Jun 2010
Stiiill Getting Back Up To Date.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 10, 2012 4:52 PM

Nov 2012
Watch a wile back ago. An excellent horror anime. The OVA is more of a prequel and an answer to episode 1 of the series. Do keep in mind this anime is not for people who can handle gruesome scenes because the 1st death is quite disturbing.
Dec 11, 2012 2:40 AM

Dec 2011
Saw this while it was airing. It was decent. Full of the usual horror tropes, but genuinely creepy at times. I wish it went for a more psychological approach, and it would have been fun to see the whole town fall apart, but the splattery finale and the resolution to the mystery weren't unsatisfying. 7/10.
Dec 11, 2012 5:21 AM

Nov 2012

My favorite death was the teachers!!!
Dec 12, 2012 2:59 PM

Dec 2009
Seen it before, so will post replacement later on.

Complited: 6/10.

I didn’t really like the ending. I mean what’s so unusual about people going crazy in situation when they think there is a murder among them? Of’ course they won’t trust each other and start killing everyone who looks at least a little suspicious. And how at the end main character figure out who was the “wrong” one – wasn’t it obvious from the middle? Situations connected with her and the way she speaks make in clear there is something wrong.
The whole concept with “one person among others is actually a deadman” was great. And the way they were trying to manage with it calling someone “dead” and behave that way. But why would people who are trying to explain stuff to main character die all of a sudden? Won’t it be more smart if the “dead” person have to kill them to keep the balance? Not like Reiko should kill her students right in front of everyone, but, lets say – she won’t even know about what she is doing, yet she makes things happen the way that guilty kids gonna die. When they all die for no real reason all of sudden – I can’t manage to find explanation to that (I know it’s a mystery but why not to make it a bit more consistent and explained?)
Anime is enjoyable only in case you can think of it as a “horror story” and not something which might have happened in real life. Not because it is scary, but because of the way adult people behave – everyone knows something wrong going on but no one cares to solve the problem or save students.
Also, the moment that bugs me for a while. Mei can see dead people with her doll eye, right? Why wouldn’t she simply find out who it was and warn her classmates? If she was scared because of the panic or thought that noone going to trust her, she could have killed Reiko by herself. When the “dead” person is killed – the history changes and no one remembers about that person anymore. So she won’t face any troubles killing Reiko from the start.
All in all, anime has some moments of plot or explanation fails, but the general idea was decent and somewhat original, a lot of unexpected events was a huge plus. Can’t say I’m very disappointed with “Another”, but the horror part could have been more scary.
Dec 12, 2012 4:59 PM

Nov 2012
Toshiru said:

Also, the moment that bugs me for a while. Mei can see dead people with her doll eye, right? Why wouldn’t she simply find out who it was and warn her classmates? If she was scared because of the panic or thought that noone going to trust her, she could have killed Reiko by herself. When the “dead” person is killed – the history changes and no one remembers about that person anymore. So she won’t face any troubles killing Reiko from the start.

You have to keep in mind that no one know how to get rid of the curse till the very end. So of course Mei couldn't do anything about it because she didn't know how to end the curse as well. Plus, Mei was treated as an outsider so even if she tried to reach for help no one would believe her in the end.
Dec 13, 2012 7:15 AM

Dec 2011
Toshiru said:

I didn’t really like the ending. I mean what’s so unusual about people going crazy in situation when they think there is a murder among them? Of’ course they won’t trust each other and start killing everyone who looks at least a little suspicious.

Agreed, nothing unusual about it, but was it supposed to be? On the other hand, they sort of rush the mental decay, but really, they didn't have much time.

Speaking of the ending, who the hell killed Reiko? That guy really upped the creepiness score for the last episode.

And how at the end main character figure out who was the “wrong” one – wasn’t it obvious from the middle? Situations connected with her and the way she speaks make in clear there is something wrong.

Hmm, yes, it was obvious there was something wrong with her and she was suspicious, but that goes for some other characters as well, most notably Mei. Sure, Kouichi trusted her, but none of the other characters did, and this suspicion isn't resolved [for the viewers] until she explains about her ability to see the dead. Also, for the entire time, we're lead to believe the deadman is someone from the class, so it's a sort of a twist because you're expecting a student (the story on the audiotape, missing persons (possibly? not sure)).

But why would people who are trying to explain stuff to main character die all of a sudden? Won’t it be more smart if the “dead” person have to kill them to keep the balance? Not like Reiko should kill her students right in front of everyone, but, lets say – she won’t even know about what she is doing, yet she makes things happen the way that guilty kids gonna die. When they all die for no real reason all of sudden – I can’t manage to find explanation to that (I know it’s a mystery but why not to make it a bit more consistent and explained?)

This is one of the things that bothered me. It's not really clear if those deaths had anything to do with Reiko. If they did, why not show the malignant influence to led to them? If they didn't, we're asked to accept a very long string of coincidences that's only slightly helped by the strange atmosphere in the town. One might claim the tension and the panic they were feeling made them less careful / aware of their surroundings and this in turn led to some of the deaths (umbrella girl, teacher), but some were just...improbable (elevator, truck).

everyone knows something wrong going on but no one cares to solve the problem or save students.

Some people, mainly those connected to the school, know and believe that something is wrong, but others don't, or at least do not wish to face (the rather unreal-sounding) reality. The main problem being that everyone just forgets what really happened. Or that something happened at all. Those who are aware are content to use the excommunication method, for lack of a nicer solution. That's another thing, though. Why did that work at all?

She didn't know that killing the person solves the problem. Even if you cast aside the problem killing someone would pose for a teenage girl, she'd still have to think about the possible consequences, such as the deadman not dying (and then getting rid of her) or the possessed person dying but the curse continuing / transferring to someone else (and now you have a corpse on your hands).

And now I have yet another addition to my PTW list :)
Dec 13, 2012 9:12 AM

Apr 2012
Toshiru said:

Sounds like The Grudge.

Anyways, I really don't feel like watching this anime again either. Its not that its a bad anime its just the fun of this anime was the suspense of watching it while it aired, taking bets with friends on who the extra was and who would survive, but now that I know how it ends, I just don't see any re-watch value, 7/10.
Dec 14, 2012 1:39 AM

Apr 2012
I just came to the horrible realization that this is the best anime I've seen to come out this year, wow this was a bad year for anime.
Dec 14, 2012 2:18 AM

Dec 2011
DrunkenBlowfish said:
I just came to the horrible realization that this is the best anime I've seen to come out this year, wow this was a bad year for anime.

You haven't seen Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita or Tsuritama. Jinrui in particular blows everything else away, except perhaps a few airing shows. But yes, if not for this (Autumn) season, it would have been one weak year.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Challenge post-mortem

phnsr - Dec 20, 2012

2 by Toshiru »»
Dec 23, 2012 10:36 AM

» Day 13: Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha, post your rating and discuss.

MaceTheDon - Dec 10, 2012

13 by phnsr »»
Dec 22, 2012 3:37 PM

» Day 18: Sora no Otoshimono, post your rating and discuss.

1 by AnimeForDummies »»
Dec 15, 2012 11:59 AM

» Day 17: Rosario + Vampire, post your rating and discuss.

6 by AnimeForDummies »»
Dec 13, 2012 4:04 PM

» Day 12: Aria the Animation, post your rating and discuss.

LittleCaesars - Dec 3, 2012

8 by Toshiru »»
Dec 12, 2012 2:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.