Forum Settings
Forums
New
Which language do you set voice acting at?
Japanese
83.7%
English
16.3%
129 votes
Nov 16, 2008 8:40 AM

Nov 2007
I have no idea if the European version of the game offers other languages, but since this is an English anime website, I assume the very vast majority of people will play the game with one of those two. So which one do you use/prefer?

I really appreciate the fact that the Japanese voices were left in the game, and I'm amused by Maximilian being voiced by the same person who did Lelouch's voice, which brings flashbacks of Code Geass, especially when he's issuing orders. On the other hand, the English dialogue script is not an exact translation of the Japanese speech, which bugs me a bit. I keep thinking "That's NOT what she said!" when I read it.
gokieksNov 16, 2008 9:55 AM

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live." ~Douglas Adams (RIP)
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 16, 2008 11:29 AM

Feb 2008
It's sad that thay didn't translate it exactly.
I set japanese voices. It's good to hear well known voices. :P
Nov 17, 2008 11:14 AM

Apr 2007
De-JaY said:

^ same
and it really is a shame about the translation
Nov 17, 2008 9:24 PM

Oct 2008
I played through it in Japanese in my first playthrough, though I plan on playing it in English on my hard mode playthrough.

I sampled a bit of the English track, and it's pretty solid.
doubletacoNov 17, 2008 10:05 PM
Japanese cartoons and comics.
Nov 18, 2008 6:05 AM

Apr 2008
De-JaY said:
t's good to hear well known voices. :P

That's why i play it in english, Steve Blum is my favorite VA ever. (Zaka, and a few random recruits)
Nov 18, 2008 8:11 AM

Apr 2008
English isn't too bad.
I switch back and forth for some odd reason.
but mainly japanese. i say...65% japanese, and 35% english voices. : D

Nov 18, 2008 8:42 AM

Apr 2007
GoTF said:
De-JaY said:
t's good to hear well known voices. :P

That's why i play it in english, Steve Blum is my favorite VA ever. (Zaka, and a few random recruits)

Every recruit in the Japanese version has his own VA
Nov 18, 2008 9:15 AM

Apr 2008
Really? Like i care.
1000 Steve Blums are better IN MY OPINION than 1000 different Japanese voice actors that i can't understand or care who they are.
Nov 18, 2008 9:35 AM

Apr 2007
GoTF said:
Really? Like i care.
1000 Steve Blums are better IN MY OPINION than 1000 different Japanese voice actors that i can't understand or care who they are.

You suck then
There are really awesome Japanese VAs in VC including Fukuyama Jun, Mamiko Noto, Nakai Kazuya, and much more.
Nov 18, 2008 9:40 AM

Apr 2008
Yes, because people obviously aren't allowed to have a preference if it doesn't comply with your own.
Nov 18, 2008 9:56 AM

Apr 2008
Hamel said:

You suck then
There are really awesome Japanese VAs in VC including Fukuyama Jun, Mamiko Noto, Nakai Kazuya, and much more.

lol wtf? other people have opinions you know? go grow up.

Nov 18, 2008 10:27 AM

Apr 2007
No one has a better opinion than me EYEZOOM

and I wasn't that serious I just wrote the 1st comment [Every recruit in the Japanese version has his own VA] just so he will know and that's it I didn't say one was better than the other
after that I just went along with the angry comment
Dec 10, 2008 8:55 AM

Oct 2006
I like both options, which is pretty surprising considering I generally loathe English dubs of anything. I swap between them 50/50, I suppose, but it's always jarring to go from one to the other... I end up expecting their lines to come out in one voice and they sound completely different hehe.
Dec 18, 2008 11:40 PM

Apr 2007
I started off with the English dub, but Edy's voice actor grated on my nerves. So, I rather rapidly changed to the Japanese soundtrack.

I'm the same with most of my games, I just feel that the Japanese soundtrack is a bit more authentic to the original vision. Then again, I couldn't hear Snake's voice in any other language, so I guess I'm rather fickle on the subject.
Dec 22, 2008 9:00 PM
Jun 2007
English seems to fit the setting of the game better, in my opinion. Doesn't help that the text doesn't really match the Japanese dialogue (dubtitles).
Jan 8, 2009 6:44 PM

Jan 2009
I`ve made sin, havent even tried the english dubs`s on the game for I dislike greatly to use em while watching anime. Suppose I`ll have a new go with english then, thou almost with 100% sureness I can say that their quality isnt close to the japanese one, imo.
Jan 12, 2009 1:14 PM

Nov 2007
Yeah, so backlog be damned, I'm playing through VC for the 3rd time, this time with English voices, and Edy's voice makes me want to stab her with a dull knife. Ugh.

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live." ~Douglas Adams (RIP)
Jan 17, 2009 2:33 PM

Mar 2008
gokieks said:
Yeah, so backlog be damned, I'm playing through VC for the 3rd time, this time with English voices, and Edy's voice makes me want to stab her with a dull knife. Ugh.

You have piqued my interest. Time to torture myself.

BTW anyone gotten A's in Hard mode Skirmishes? What levels do your guys need to be to get them? I'm on my second play through right now...class levels 14-16.
Jan 22, 2009 9:58 PM

Jul 2008
Fui said:
gokieks said:

You have piqued my interest. Time to torture myself.

BTW anyone gotten A's in Hard mode Skirmishes? What levels do your guys need to be to get them? I'm on my second play through right now...class levels 14-16.

I did the Hard Missions at max level and they are still pretty challenging. By the way the max level is 20.
Jan 23, 2009 6:31 AM

Dec 2007
I'm playing with the japanese voices....although I've also noticed the translation issues.
Jan 24, 2009 7:25 PM

Mar 2008
Charliehsv said:
I'm playing with the japanese voices....although I've also noticed the translation issues.

Yeah they translation is quite abominable. It just keeps getting worse...orz.
Mar 10, 2009 5:39 AM

Apr 2008
i have the voices set in Japanese and for me it sounds much better tho i compared both and love the fact that you can choose the language, wish some other games i've played had that option

oko za oko, zub za zub - eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth
Apr 14, 2009 10:10 AM

Jul 2007
Played through the first time in English and now I'm playing it again in Japanese. I just miss Catherine in english cause it's so much better hearing her with the irish accent as opposed to japanese.
Apr 18, 2009 4:07 AM

Sep 2007
Depends.

I like both; but I mainly use English. I prefer Welkin's English VA, same with Maximillian's.

I don't think Jun's voice fits with Maximillian at all, maybe due to originally being used to the English VA. It just felt weird seeing a blonde guy with a Zero voice.
Apr 27, 2009 4:27 PM

Apr 2008
BusterMachine0 said:
Depends.

I like both; but I mainly use English. I prefer Welkin's English VA, same with Maximillian's.

I don't think Jun's voice fits with Maximillian at all, maybe due to originally being used to the English VA. It just felt weird seeing a blonde guy with a Zero voice.

i disagree, i've went back to compare scenes in Japanese and English and i really don't like them and i think Welkin and Maximillian Jap voices suit them more than the English.

i think Jun Fukyama suits Maximillian because i see Lelouch and Maximillian similar in aspects like both are princes, both have a bit of an arrogance about them.

oko za oko, zub za zub - eye for an eye, tooth for a tooth
Apr 29, 2009 2:21 AM

Sep 2007
ERROR_404 said:

i think Jun Fukyama suits Maximillian because i see Lelouch and Maximillian similar in aspects like both are princes, both have a bit of an arrogance about them.

i agree their characters and personalities are similar, it's just weird having Maximillian with lelouch's voice.
Apr 29, 2009 4:54 AM

Sep 2008
Ha i play the game in english because i only worked out i can have it in jap half way through i plan on changing it my next time through it :P o well
x
Jun 9, 2009 8:32 AM

Jun 2009
I hate Welkin and Alicia in the English dub, so I use Japanese.
Thinking of playing through the third time in English though.
Jun 9, 2009 11:42 AM

Jun 2009
I've only played with english voices cause... just cause...
Damon is hilarious in english XD
Jun 9, 2009 12:02 PM

Jul 2007
Link91 said:

Reallly? Cause while on occasion I thought Alicia's lines weren't delivered as best that they probably could have been in English, I thought Welkin was perfect in english.
Jun 11, 2009 8:29 AM

Jun 2009
Barbobot said:
Link91 said:

Reallly? Cause while on occasion I thought Alicia's lines weren't delivered as best that they probably could have been in English, I thought Welkin was perfect in english.

I just somehow feel his voice is completely wrong and it irritates me quite a lot.
Jun 25, 2009 3:52 AM

May 2009
Link91 said:
Barbobot said:
Link91 said:

I just somehow feel his voice is completely wrong and it irritates me quite a lot.

"aaah i love nature". That is the only thing i liked about him, i dunno why XD.
But yea his voice sounds really wrong XD.
Jul 1, 2009 6:55 AM
Jun 2009
English dubs suck, frenchs dubs suck more !!! (just horrible) I ever watch my animes in VOSTE or VOSTFR and this is the best way

Everybody think watch english dubs suck but they haven't seen yet frenchs dubs ah ah! ^^'
Hi!
Jul 4, 2009 7:19 PM

Feb 2008
I hate english dubs. I prefer not to subject my ears to such torture; Japanese every time.
Jul 7, 2009 12:30 PM
Apr 2008
Japanese. Although this game is one of the few JRPG's that have good English voice acting. Its just that Japanese seems more natural with the artsyle.
Jul 9, 2009 4:57 AM

Dec 2008
I first played through with English voices and now I am re-playing the game with Japanese voices. I thought overall the English voices were pretty decent..though I like the Japanese voices too...the only thing with the Japanese voices is that the subs refer to the English voices rather than being directly translated from the Japanese voices.
Jul 20, 2009 6:10 PM

Feb 2009
First time in English, second time in Japanese.
Jul 28, 2009 5:25 PM
Nov 2007
First playthrough in Jap, second in Eng, third half and half.

I kind of like playing through with Japanese more because the subtitles are not 100% identical with the Japanese voices so it surprises me a little bit sometimes and sparks my interest whereas with English I can just skip the voices completely since I'm a fast reader.

Not to mention that hearing the voices of Suzaku, Lelouch/Zero, and Kitsu Chiri/Minami Kana in Japanese is the only way to go.
Aug 4, 2009 12:39 PM

Jun 2008
I'm playing the game with English voices and have been pleasantly surprised by the voice acting.

Of course I'm watching the anime as well. I have no preference between the two and think the English voice actors have been picked well. However perhaps I should listen to the voice acting in the game as well though, I persume though it is the same people for the characters as it is in the anime.
Aug 8, 2009 3:29 PM

Nov 2008
When I do get around to playing the game, I'll do it in English first, turning on Japanese when I get bored of hearing it. I'm used to the Japanese voices from the anime, but the English cast is full of great people. Besides, I love making VA comparisons in English dubs.

And I don't care about the translation because it's not a translation, it's a localization. Of course things are going to change, or else there'd be awkward lines.
Aug 9, 2009 10:32 PM
Jul 2018
Hinata020 said:
I hate english dubs. I prefer not to subject my ears to such torture; Japanese every time.
Aug 14, 2009 9:31 AM

Feb 2009
Japanese, hands down! I can't stand English voiceovers in anything really and avoid them like plague if possible. ^O^ Heh, ok, maybe I was a bit harsh but I do prefer the original voice acting in everything, be it Japanese, English, Swedish or Swahili! ^^
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." -Edgar Allan Poe
Aug 14, 2009 12:41 PM

Mar 2008
kariohki said:
When I do get around to playing the game, I'll do it in English first, turning on Japanese when I get bored of hearing it. I'm used to the Japanese voices from the anime, but the English cast is full of great people. Besides, I love making VA comparisons in English dubs.

And I don't care about the translation because it's not a translation, it's a localization. Of course things are going to change, or else there'd be awkward lines.

Well they often give the characters completely different lines, changing the conversation and meaning entirely. But if you don't notice or don't care then I suppose it doesn't matter. Then again what's the point of translating if nobody notices or cares anyway?
Aug 15, 2009 12:13 PM

Nov 2008
There's some things that don't work in English that make sense in Japanese, and there's always the task of adding more flavor to the lines. Sometimes directly translated text is dry. Now, yes, it's bad when important lines totally lose their meaning or the translation has spelling/grammar errors and inconsistencies (see: some games by Working Designs, Ar tonelico 2)

There's always going to be sub vs. dub wars, I personally just don't like when people put the English dub down simply because it's an English dub.
Aug 15, 2009 1:59 PM

Apr 2009
I really just don't like dubs.. with any show really, not just anime.

I suffered thru E's Otherwise on English dubs and was told that the dubs on this show were pretty good, but I really didn't like them. Some of the characters sounded reused, others sounded 'off' and others again just didnt match the facial expression with what they were saying. In general I don't go with dubs, simply because of the 'cheap' aftertaste that they leave. Only if the characters have been thought out really well, in terms of who is going to voice them, I would watch a dub (yes, i.e. pokemon, or yu-gi-oh)
"Don't believe in the you that believes in me. Don't believe in the me that believes in you. Believe in the you that believes in yourself."
Aug 19, 2009 12:32 AM

Jan 2009
Hamel said:
De-JaY said:

^ same
and it really is a shame about the translation

Official translations of pretty much anything usually is quite half-assed, so of course, if there's an option, Always the Japanese voices : D (Did this for Eternal Sonata, ps3-version too, and I tried the english voices, but I quit after the opening scene xD.. Yeah it was that bad)
jaioni said:
Heh, ok, maybe I was a bit harsh but I do prefer the original voice acting in everything, be it Japanese, English, Swedish or Swahili! ^^

No no no, sure, original is usually the best, but Not Swedish, even though it would be original in a Swedish whatever-media-it-could-be xD. Would prefer an english voiceover over a Swedish original : D
OosranAug 19, 2009 12:40 AM
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Aug 19, 2009 3:02 PM
Apr 2008
It doesn't matter to me. I thoroughly enjoyed both.
Aug 26, 2009 7:08 AM

Jun 2009
For Japanese voices are much better and I hate when any anime being dubbed!

dearest my bb shinah ty for the bday present <33
Sep 15, 2009 12:31 AM
Aug 2009
YES Japanese voices, i play some naruto games and bleach shatter blades, but with all respect to the English cast, i preffer the Japanese voices, its made by Japanese people, its originally spoke in Japanese and i am used to the Japanese voices (with English subs though) so i alway's preffer the Japanese voices (exception is inuyasha since i couldn't find the Japanese versions i am now used to the English version) besides since i want to speak Japanese its smart to keep listening to Japanese. shame i don't have the ps3 though.
Talking about Japanese games, i kow this might be a little offtopic, but does anyone happen to know if games like Dynasty warriors that i loved for ps2 and Xbox 360 are also on ps3? if thats the case i might dump that poor axcuse for a console all together and won't buy a new one, but go for ps3 instead. stupid RROD. i just can't really live without those dynasty and samurai warriors empires games.
ty in advance :)
Oct 4, 2009 1:56 PM

Mar 2009
Japanese of course (though english dub is pretty good also). I was also little disappointed and confused when I tried to search ending of the game from youtube. I could only find it in English. =/
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Your Favorite Recruit

doubletaco - Nov 19, 2008

42 by mecharobot »»
Sep 5, 2015 1:36 PM

Poll: » Alicia vs. Selvaria ( 1 2 )

Arbel - Nov 13, 2008

73 by mecharobot »»
Sep 5, 2015 1:11 PM

» Valkyria Chronicles is coming to PC!

srwgfan - Nov 10, 2014

9 by TheRealDeal51 »»
Jan 17, 2015 9:30 AM

» Welkin or Faldio which one would you marry ?

Airitoizzy - Jul 22, 2009

23 by Tsuyoi »»
Aug 2, 2011 2:33 AM

» Valkyria Chronicles Anime

De-JaY - Nov 12, 2008

47 by Qiruama »»
Apr 10, 2010 4:41 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.