Forum Settings
Forums
Dec 8, 2012 3:50 AM

Hello there. I wonder if there is away where I can play PS2 games on my PC? I already played PS1 and Gameboy games in my PC and I really want to play PS2 games. Can you help me please? And if possible can i also play PS3 games?
PLEASE GUYS. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. ^~^

Dec 8, 2012 3:54 AM

Yup.

Google for PCSX2. Works perfectly for pretty much all games too - unless your computer can't handle it.

PS3 is not emulated yet, same for xbox and 360.
Modified by TallonKarrde23, Dec 8, 2012 4:12 AM

Dec 8, 2012 3:56 AM

A long as you don't ask for the emulator and the ISOs, I guess there's no harm in answering. Yes, it's possible to emulate the PS2 but it's far from perfect. No, it's not possible to emulate the PS3.

Dec 8, 2012 4:12 AM

Madcat_Zam said:
A long as you don't ask for the emulator and the ISOs, I guess there's no harm in answering. Yes, it's possible to emulate the PS2 but it's far from perfect. No, it's not possible to emulate the PS3.

Emulators are entirely legal as long as you use your own BIOS. ROMs are also not technically illegal - as long as you make them yourself.

Those 'as long as' aren't things people follow, but I just mean really neither is illegal unless you use them in a way that is.

Dec 8, 2012 4:19 AM

TallonKarrde23 said:
Madcat_Zam said:

Emulators are entirely legal as long as you use your own BIOS. ROMs are also not technically illegal - as long as you make them yourself.

Those 'as long as' aren't things people follow, but I just mean really neither is illegal unless you use them in a way that is.
I'm sure those are both illegal just like ripping a CD that you own is technically illegal. Extracting the PS2 BIOS to use in an emulator isn't the normal usage for the product.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.

Dec 8, 2012 4:21 AM

katsucats said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
Madcat_Zam said:

I'm sure those are both illegal just like ripping a CD that you own is technically illegal. Extracting the PS2 BIOS to use in an emulator isn't the normal usage for the product.

Well, either way, an emulator itself is not against the law - as it does nothing and uses no proprietary software. It only becomes illegal depending on the user and use of it.

It's 4:30 am so I'm not going to try saying I'm sure I'm right about the rest, but I do know an emulator is perfectly legal on it's own. All my point really was is "you don't need to worry about linking to an emulator" anyway. Besides, nobody is going to get in trouble for using one. And I AM fairly certain using your own BIOS was in a gray area that will end up with you not in trouble.

But again, I won't pretend to practice law - the point is just that OP doesn't need to be scared. He already emulates other stuff anyway.

Dec 8, 2012 4:24 AM

Well, people online are saying it's legal to dump the BIOS file from your own PS2, but I'm still skeptical...
THE CHAT CLUB.

Dec 8, 2012 4:54 AM

Running an emulator with BIOS you dumped is legal. Making your own ISOs of games you own is legal. You purchase the device, its yours to do with as you please.
ASUS P8Z77-V//Intel Core i7 2700K OC'd @ 4.8Ghz//2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 in RAID0//500GB Western Digital//1.5TB Samsung Green//500GB Seagate External//2TB Seagate Exernal//16GB Kingston HyperX DD3 2133//MSI Geforce GTX 570//Cooler Master HAF 932 (Blue)//XFX Pro 750w Modular// Corsair H100 4 Fans Push+Pull//24" ASUS VG248 1080p 144hz//47" Philips LCD HDTV 1080p

Dec 8, 2012 5:45 AM

Otanii said:
Running an emulator with BIOS you dumped is legal. Making your own ISOs of games you own is legal. You purchase the device, its yours to do with as you please.
But... tell that to the RIAA...
THE CHAT CLUB.

Dec 8, 2012 6:08 AM

Just buy a Ps2 and hack it.

Dec 8, 2012 6:10 AM

I do think its better to just get a ps2 as it is still very worth getting even now after its lifespan also its dirt cheap now a days and you can get them for well under a 100 bucks. But yes you can play games through the pc as long as you can find roms of the games, though the files are considerably much bigger than ones on the ps1 for example, so just keep that in mind

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 8, 2012 6:17 AM

TallonKarrde23 said:
Yup.

Google for PCSX2. Works perfectly for pretty much all games too - unless your computer can't handle it.

Is there any system requirements needed? if there is, can you please state it. Thank you.

Dec 8, 2012 6:21 AM

And where can i download PS2 games to play in PCSX2?

Dec 8, 2012 6:26 AM

DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
I do think its better to just get a ps2 as it is still very worth getting even now after its lifespan also its dirt cheap now a days and you can get them for well under a 100 bucks. But yes you can play games through the pc as long as you can find roms of the games, though the files are considerably much bigger than ones on the ps1 for example, so just keep that in mind

I already have my PS2 and I already played many games on it. But the problem sometimes i am having a hard time finding games from the store and i do think my PS2 already had its problem. ^^
Do you have any idea where can i download PS2 games for my emulator?

Dec 8, 2012 6:53 AM

You can, but don't expect it to run well unless you have a very high spec PC.

PS2 games take a lot of power to be emulated, but if you have a Core i5/AMD Phenom X6 level CPU you would be fine.

Remember some games won't work at all either, as the emulator is still a bit glitchy.

Dec 8, 2012 8:29 AM

Poly25 said:

I love how everyone was discussing the delicate, gray-area legal points of emulating a video game console, and the OP comes back and flat-out asks where he can download games.... >_>

Anyway, it's up to you to get games.

Dec 8, 2012 8:35 AM

You do need a pretty nice computer to be able to run PS2 games.

I can run most compatible games with my system fairly smoothly:
i7 870
8192MB Ram
Radeon HD 6800 (x2)

As for where to download games...you're better off asking Google rather than a moderated forum.

Dec 8, 2012 8:40 AM

I have a softmodded PS2. A fat PS2 with network adapter and 250GB HDD. Have about 50 games on the hard drive.
ASUS P8Z77-V//Intel Core i7 2700K OC'd @ 4.8Ghz//2x 120GB OCZ Vertex 3 in RAID0//500GB Western Digital//1.5TB Samsung Green//500GB Seagate External//2TB Seagate Exernal//16GB Kingston HyperX DD3 2133//MSI Geforce GTX 570//Cooler Master HAF 932 (Blue)//XFX Pro 750w Modular// Corsair H100 4 Fans Push+Pull//24" ASUS VG248 1080p 144hz//47" Philips LCD HDTV 1080p

Dec 8, 2012 9:29 AM

How about this I have:
Pentium(R) Dual Core CPU E6800 @ 3.33GHz
2.00 GB RAM
32-Bit OS type
Can Ran PS2 games smoothly?
Thanks

Dec 8, 2012 9:31 AM

Otanii said:
I have a softmodded PS2. A fat PS2 with network adapter and 250GB HDD. Have about 50 games on the hard drive.

I have a softmod with HDD too, but it's far easier to just use an emulator. Plus, you get a nice graphical enhancement by increasing the resolution on PCSX2.

Poly25 said:
How about this I have:
2.00 GB RAM
32-Bit OS type
Thanks

Nope.

Dec 8, 2012 9:31 AM

Poly25 said:
How about this I have:
2.00 GB RAM
32-Bit OS type
Thanks

Maybe some of the simpler early PS2 games, but most of the popular ones wouldn't run well at all.

I have a Core i5 2500k (3.3GHz), Geforce GTX670 and 12GB RAM, and some games STILL don't run smoothly without me over-clocking the CPU a bit.

Dec 8, 2012 9:50 AM

Poly25 said:
How about this I have:
2.00 GB RAM
32-Bit OS type
Thanks

That system unfortunately won't be capable of emulating most PS2 games at a playable speed; would be better off buying an actual PS2.

Dec 8, 2012 8:37 PM

skullblade169 said:
I have a Core i5 2500k (3.3GHz), Geforce GTX670 and 12GB RAM, and some games STILL don't run smoothly without me over-clocking the CPU a bit.

What won't the i5-2500k run? IIRC that should run everything you throw at it, even at stock clock.

Dec 8, 2012 9:00 PM

Hakuromatsu said:
skullblade169 said:

What won't the i5-2500k run? IIRC that should run everything you throw at it, even at stock clock.

When it comes to PC games, it runs EVERYTHING.

Some games on PCSX2 do still run a little slow though, but it may not be my CPUs fault as some games run bad in that emulator anyway, but some of the later games such as Burnout Revenge in PCSX2 only run at about 40fps unless I overclock to 3.6GHz, then it runs just fine at full speed.

Dec 8, 2012 9:07 PM

Hakuromatsu said:
skullblade169 said:

Some PS2 games are more GPU intensive, and some are more CPU intensive, so they don't all run the same on the same hardware.

A few only work properly in software mode, and that requires the most processing power.

Dec 8, 2012 9:19 PM

I would think the GTX 670 would never be the bottleneck, even at 6x natiive res.

When I say "everything you throw at it," I mean everything that's compatible to begin with. I've never played Burnout Revenge though.

Dec 14, 2012 10:14 PM

Hakuromatsu said:
Poly25 said:

I love how everyone was discussing the delicate, gray-area legal points of emulating a video game console, and the OP comes back and flat-out asks where he can download games.... >_>

Anyway, it's up to you to get games.

I love threads like this. WHERE CAN I HAEZ FREE STUFFS?

Seriously, GOOGLE it if you must....or Bing it? :3

I agree about them being much nicer on a PC these days, not all PS2 games get the luxury of an HD upscale port so thats where PC forced up ressing and AA works wonders. Really breathes new life into them.

The reason you need a fairly decent PC is because emulators aren't exactly optimal, you want a game to run at its best? Run it on the system it was designed for.

Dec 15, 2012 6:20 AM

Yes you can. PCSX2 0.9.8 (r4600)is what I use to emulate PS2 games on my PC. However, the Performance is unsatisfactory. Most games I run on It suffer huge amount of FPS drops. My computer is high end enough to handle heavy rendering and heavy gaming, but the emulator itself is far from perfect.

If you really want to play PS2 games, just get a PS3 (original 20/40/60 GB models) or a PS2. Emulators are horrible to play on to be honest. I'd rather play It on the actual system than a Emulator.

Dec 15, 2012 6:21 AM
No.

Dec 15, 2012 6:25 AM

TallonKarrde23 said:
Yup.

I doubt a PS3 Emulator would happen in the future. Well one, the Cell is a pain in the ass to program. Even If a developer somehow tries to emulate a Cell CPU, the performance will never be good. And I think the architecture for the cell is different than our x86 CPUs.

I think there is a Original Xbox Emulator, but If you want to play the games via DVD, you need to hack the Optical Drive's Firmware. Not sure though. Certainly there's no 360 Emulator either.

Honestly, Emulators are a waste of time. Its better to play on the actual Hardware than wasting your time setting up the Emulator.

Dec 15, 2012 10:43 AM

FinalSynFrey said:
Yes you can. PCSX2 0.9.8 (r4600)is what I use to emulate PS2 games on my PC. However, the Performance is unsatisfactory. Most games I run on It suffer huge amount of FPS drops. My computer is high end enough to handle heavy rendering and heavy gaming, but the emulator itself is far from perfect.

If you really want to play PS2 games, just get a PS3 (original 20/40/60 GB models) or a PS2. Emulators are horrible to play on to be honest. I'd rather play It on the actual system than a Emulator.

Well you are using an old version, they're up to version 1.0 now. I have no FPS problems at all in most games.

Dec 15, 2012 2:41 PM

Technically you can run emulator + games on your system, but it will lag like crazy without a good processor. Most games will be flat out unplayable running at 5-10 fps normally and 1/2 fps during intense scenes.

I've had fps problems while playing some games with parts that are similar to skullblade's. Just stick to emulating pre-PS2/GC games because those will not be enjoyable.
^_^

Dec 15, 2012 4:46 PM

Well, at least, say, Persona 3/4 and Disgaea works perfectly on my emu. Hell, I played 999 and SMT: Devil Survivor on the Nintendo DS emulator that should be more taxing than PS2, but it still worked fine for the most part. There might be slight lag here and there but it was easily playable.
THE CHAT CLUB.

Dec 15, 2012 4:54 PM

katsucats said:
Well, at least, say, Persona 3/4 and Disgaea works perfectly on my emu. Hell, I played 999 and SMT: Devil Survivor on the Nintendo DS emulator that should be more taxing than PS2, but it still worked fine for the most part. There might be slight lag here and there but it was easily playable.

The PS2 is harder to emulate than the DS because of the complexity of its processor.

Compare:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps2#Technical_specifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_ds#Technical_specifications

I hear the GS processor is particularly hard to emulate, that's why they had to include a GS chip in the PS3s with backwards compatibility. When they took out the GS chip to cut costs, the backwards compatibility went with it.

Dec 15, 2012 5:07 PM

Narmy said:
katsucats said:

The PS2 is harder to emulate than the DS because of the complexity of its processor.
The PS2 emulator must work better because it was in development for longer then. It probably wouldn't work for God of War 3 or something, but it should be okay for most games.
THE CHAT CLUB.

Dec 15, 2012 5:27 PM

Narmy said:
katsucats said:

Compare:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps2#Technical_specifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_ds#Technical_specifications

I hear the GS processor is particularly hard to emulate, that's why they had to include a GS chip in the PS3s with backwards compatibility. When they took out the GS chip to cut costs, the backwards compatibility went with it.

Imagine trying to emulate a Cell processor. Its much more complicated than the GS Processor.
But why is It that you can still play PS2 games via PSN but not through the Optical Drives? What's the difference really?

Dec 15, 2012 5:34 PM

FinalSynFrey said:
Imagine trying to emulate a Cell processor. Its much more complicated than the GS Processor.
But why is It that you can still play PS2 games via PSN but not through the Optical Drives? What's the difference really?

Those PS2 re-releases have to be ported to the PS3. They usually call them "HD remakes", but that's essentially what they are.

It's like the difference between playing the PC version of a game, or emulating the PS2 version. The one specifically made for the PC will run a lot better.

Dec 15, 2012 6:10 PM

It's pretty sad that the Wii's Emulator actually plays some games better then a real Wii does.
It doesn't think, it doesn't feel, it doesn't laugh or cry..... All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die.

Dec 15, 2012 6:12 PM

Jigero said:
It's pretty sad that the Wii's Emulator actually plays some games better then a real Wii does.

I guess if better means higher resolution?

Dolphin still has fps drops and can be really buggy with some games. It's definitely worse in that regard.
^_^

Dec 16, 2012 4:43 AM

http://pcsx2.net/ - System requirements differ vastly from game to game. You maybe be able to play some games with that setup but many gmaes won't run very well for you. See my sig for PCSX2 in action.

FinalSynFrey said:

You should update. That's a seriously otudated version. The new SVN builds are much better in practically every way to 0.9.8. 0.9.8 isn't even the latest stable version anymore, 1.0.0 is. You're missing out on amazing things like MTVU.

Dec 16, 2012 4:48 AM

Tyestor said:
http://pcsx2.net/ - System requirements differ vastly from game to game. You maybe be able to play some games with that setup but many gmaes won't run very well for you. See my sig for PCSX2 in action.

FinalSynFrey said:

You should update. That's a seriously otudated version. The new SVN builds are much better in practically every way to 0.9.8. 0.9.8 isn't even the latest stable version anymore, 1.0.0 is. You're missing out on amazing things like MTVU.

I stopped playing PS2 games on my PC because of the horrible performance. I'd rather play on the actual Hardware.
I guess I'll update my Emulator and see If the Performance is better than 0.9.8.

Dec 16, 2012 4:52 AM

FinalSynFrey said:
Tyestor said:

FinalSynFrey said:

I stopped playing PS2 games on my PC because of the horrible performance. I'd rather play on the actual Hardware.
I guess I'll update my Emulator and see If the Performance is better than 0.9.8.

I guess that's not an issue for me as I am primarily a PC gamer. I can play all of my 100+ PS2 games no problem on my fairly high end PC.

Dec 16, 2012 5:11 AM

Tyestor said:
FinalSynFrey said:
Tyestor said:

FinalSynFrey said:

I guess that's not an issue for me as I am primarily a PC gamer. I can play all of my 100+ PS2 games no problem on my fairly high end PC.

I don't really care for the PS2 Emulator. I'd rather get a Original 40/60 GB PS3 with the Backwards Compatibility than using a SOFTWARE Emulator which isn't great.

Dec 16, 2012 5:17 AM

FinalSynFrey said:

I don't really care for the PS2 Emulator. I'd rather get a Original 40/60 GB PS3 with the Backwards Compatibility than using a SOFTWARE Emulator which isn't great.
In that case, why not just get a used PS2 for $60 rather than a used PS3 for $200+?
THE CHAT CLUB.

Dec 16, 2012 11:01 AM

katsucats said:
FinalSynFrey said:

In that case, why not just get a used PS2 for $60 rather than a used PS3 for $200+?

Probably because he already has one.
^_^