Forum Settings
Forums

is downloading episodes better than streaming?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Mar 6, 2013 11:18 AM

Feb 2013
Ahri said:
quik05 said:
Zalis said:
A resounding yes all around. Anyone who says other wise isn't a true Anime enthusiast.

But if your computer cant handle it then no worries.
Call me crazy, but I'd think a "true anime enthusiast" would want to support the product they love by either buying legitimate discs or watching legitimate streams.

quik05 said:
downloading is much better.First of all the have better video and audio quality.Also, you can play the files in a TV easily(as i do) and relax.Watching anime in the computer is sooo uncomfortable.Watching anime in a big tv witch wireless headphones and a good sofa is celestial xD. The negative part is that you need a good broadband and usig a torrent just leaves nothing else for navigating or for other computers.
But with a computer hooked up to a TV, it's just as easy to watch streams on a TV as it is to watch downloaded files.

i forgot to tell a bad point of playing downloaded anime with an external device.There are so many video and audio formats with countless codecs that sometimes( 30% of the times i would say) some of my devices can not play them and i have to bring my computer from the other side of my house and connect it via HDMI to the tv.I hate doing that,cause i sometimes have enough wires scattered all over the place and it may become dangeros.

Oh yeah I forgot about this.... I had the problem where the anime itself would read, but it wouldn't read the subtitles so there were no subs displayed on the screen. It was quite annoying.

i had a similar problem a momento ago.The audio format was not supported and i had to watch an episode without voices that was so annoying.That reason makes me wanna buy some DVDs from time to time.

Mar 6, 2013 11:40 AM

Aug 2010
Zalis said:
A resounding yes all around. Anyone who says other wise isn't a true Anime enthusiast.

Call me crazy, but I'd think a "true anime enthusiast" would want to support the product they love by either buying legitimate discs or watching legitimate streams.

quik05 said:
downloading is much better.First of all the have better video and audio quality.Also, you can play the files in a TV easily(as i do) and relax.Watching anime in the computer is sooo uncomfortable.Watching anime in a big tv witch wireless headphones and a good sofa is celestial xD. The negative part is that you need a good broadband and usig a torrent just leaves nothing else for navigating or for other computers.
But with a computer hooked up to a TV, it's just as easy to watch streams on a TV as it is to watch downloaded files.

This mentality makes no sense to me.

How would someone know if they want to buy a show unless they have watched it first? Especially when buying anime is so expensive, and especially considering how many that we generally watch. I watch WAY more anime in number than western shows, and I watch a bunch of western shows. I've only purchased Seinfeld. Because I'm a big fan.

I buy the anime that I am a fan of, but in order to have done that, I watched them first.

And if I'm going to watch anything, it's going to be in the best quality possible. If you're watching it for free regardless, I don't see how streaming is any more "moral" than downloading. At that point, you would think that the creators would want you to watch their work in the best way possible.
Mar 6, 2013 11:44 AM

Jan 2012
quik05 said:
Ahri said:
quik05 said:
Zalis said:

quik05 said:

i forgot to tell a bad point of playing downloaded anime with an external device.There are so many video and audio formats with countless codecs that sometimes( 30% of the times i would say) some of my devices can not play them and i have to bring my computer from the other side of my house and connect it via HDMI to the tv.I hate doing that,cause i sometimes have enough wires scattered all over the place and it may become dangeros.

Oh yeah I forgot about this.... I had the problem where the anime itself would read, but it wouldn't read the subtitles so there were no subs displayed on the screen. It was quite annoying.

i had a similar problem a momento ago.The audio format was not supported and i had to watch an episode without voices that was so annoying.That reason makes me wanna buy some DVDs from time to time.

Most of my problems surface from MKV files. Which is weird because it's not a constant problem. It happens only ever so often.
Mar 6, 2013 1:47 PM

Jan 2013
For old 4:3 animes streaming/download result in an almost equal quality
For recent animes downloading is far better
Mar 6, 2013 1:54 PM

Mar 2013
i download anime so i can watch it later so i vote for downloading. :D
Mar 7, 2013 1:22 PM

Jan 2008
Two questions for people mentioning it. I had more but I forgot them while typing this.

Quality. So much people mentioning quality but don't most stream sites provide 720p now? I'm sure a lot of users here don't download 1080p for their TV series. So is quality really an issue? You're watching 720p on both.... Streams might deteriorate a tiny bit from the upload but it's not like it went from 720 to 480.

Speed. I've noticed a few people say they have trouble loading a video while streaming... do you have dial-up or something? Depending on the series you are downloading via torrents, it could take just as long to watch it compared to downloading it if the files are dead.

I find the only reason to actually download is if you're planning not to have internet for a while or if you're actually going to use those files for something besides archiving (since who knows da hell when you're actually going to rewatch them).
Mar 7, 2013 3:30 PM

Jan 2012
Paul said:
Two questions for people mentioning it. I had more but I forgot them while typing this.

Quality. So much people mentioning quality but don't most stream sites provide 720p now? I'm sure a lot of users here don't download 1080p for their TV series. So is quality really an issue? You're watching 720p on both.... Streams might deteriorate a tiny bit from the upload but it's not like it went from 720 to 480.

Speed. I've noticed a few people say they have trouble loading a video while streaming... do you have dial-up or something? Depending on the series you are downloading via torrents, it could take just as long to watch it compared to downloading it if the files are dead.

I find the only reason to actually download is if you're planning not to have internet for a while or if you're actually going to use those files for something besides archiving (since who knows da hell when you're actually going to rewatch them).

I never got this either, I'm curious to know as well. Honestly I've never really noticed much of a difference but hey.... It's not something I sit there and look for. As long as I can watch the anime in albeit decent quality I'm fine.
Mar 7, 2013 3:43 PM
Mar 2013
If you never rewatch an anime once you see it, I would suggest streaming. Otherwise you would be deleting files all day long.
Mar 7, 2013 3:52 PM

Jun 2008
ChocolateRainbow said:
If you never rewatch an anime once you see it, I would suggest streaming. Otherwise you would be deleting files all day long.

Deleting files isn't exactly much of a procedure. Is the most fast shit you can do with a file.
Mar 7, 2013 3:56 PM

Sep 2012
Torrents are the best. You get the best quality and you can keep them forever.
Mar 7, 2013 4:32 PM

Nov 2011
ChocolateRainbow said:

It takes 2 clicks at most.

Have you acteally ever downloaded/torrented before?

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Mar 7, 2013 4:39 PM
Mar 2013
A 20gb torrent+ many other series, yes. Whats the point of an anime your not going to watch taking up major computer space? Its the same thing as not flushing a toilet after taking a crap.
Mar 7, 2013 4:41 PM

Nov 2011
ChocolateRainbow said:
A 20gb torrent+ many other series, yes. Whats the point of an anime your not going to watch taking up major computer space? Its the same thing as not flushing a toilet after taking a crap.

By deleting them after you're done with them?

20GB is nothing now-a-days.

Mar 7, 2013 4:44 PM

Mar 2013
Streaming is better. Downloading a series takes too long. Well for me that is. I'm on a mission. To watch every Romance/School/Comedy/Harem anime made. Downloading all the series will slow me down.
Mar 7, 2013 4:44 PM

Nov 2011
Kaneki said:
Streaming is better. Downloading a series takes too long. Well for me that is. I'm on a mission. To watch every Romance/School/Comedy/Harem anime made. Downloading all the series will slow me down.

Not if you have good internet.

Mar 7, 2013 4:47 PM
Mar 2013
20gb+

It could be hundreds of gb's.

Edit:
Not everyone has a "good" internet you know
Mar 7, 2013 4:50 PM

Nov 2011
ChocolateRainbow said:
20gb+

An entire series? most aren't. Even coalgirls don't release batches that big.

The same still applies, you could still delete them after use.

Then streaming would also be a problem.

Mar 7, 2013 4:50 PM

Jun 2012
Yes....
downloading=No ads
downloading=higher quality
Mar 7, 2013 4:53 PM
Jul 2018
Well, for me it is. Since I usually do batch downloads.
Mar 7, 2013 4:54 PM

Mar 2013
MEanimaniac1 said:
Yes....
downloading=No ads

Crunchyroll :D
Mar 7, 2013 4:55 PM

Jan 2012
rederoin said:
Kaneki said:

Internet has nothing to do with it. Just gotta find one with a good amount of seeders.
Mar 7, 2013 4:57 PM

Nov 2011
Kaneki said:
MEanimaniac1 said:
Yes....
downloading=No ads

Crunchyroll :D

Costs money, and has far from all anime.

Ahri said:
rederoin said:
Kaneki said:

Internet has nothing to do with it. Just gotta find one with a good amount of seeders.

My mistake.

Realized it applies to both streaming and torrenting, seeders are indeed a more common problem as to why some people think its slow.

Mar 7, 2013 5:03 PM
Mar 2013
Not for an entire series, but more than one serie would infact be over 20gb.
Mar 7, 2013 5:06 PM

Nov 2011
ChocolateRainbow said:
Not for an entire series, but more than one serie would infact be over 20gb.

Yes sherlock, it would be.

What is your point? You can just delete them afterwards, so I'm not really getting what your point is. You just keep dodging the questions.

Mar 7, 2013 5:09 PM

Mar 2013
10-15 anime downloaded would be like around 20gb. Well depending on how many episodes each series has. I have like around 80 anime series I want to watch right now. So downloading is something i wouldn't like to do lol
Mar 7, 2013 5:09 PM
Jul 2012
ChocolateRainbow said:
20gb+

Edit:

the largest series I have is Legend of the Galactic Heroes which is like 44gigs. Also this all depends on quality too. If you download 720p (heck even 480p is better than most streams), you'll save a lot of space.
Mar 7, 2013 5:11 PM

Nov 2011
Kaneki said:
10-15 anime downloaded would be like around 20gb. Well depending on how many episodes each series has. I have like around 80 anime series I want to watch right now. So downloading is something i wouldn't like to do lol

Who said you need to download them all the same time?

Mar 7, 2013 5:13 PM

Mar 2013
rederoin said:
Kaneki said:

Downloading one series will take me around 2 to 3 hours. Screw that.
Mar 7, 2013 5:15 PM
Mar 2013
You are the one dodging my statements. If you had seen the "20gb" and "series" we wouldn't be taking this discussion to where it is now. Having a huge amount of gb's to delete would take hours, rather than just watching it streamed, THATS my point. Obviously your going to reply again, with nonsense as if you just want to argue. So il be leaving now. Good bye.
Mar 7, 2013 5:16 PM

Nov 2011
Kaneki said:
rederoin said:
Kaneki said:

Downloading one series will take me around 2 to 3 hours. Screw that.

Then download them while watching another series?
Download 10 at the time?

A middle-ground exists you know.

ChocolateRainbow said:
You are the one dodging my statements. If you had seen the "20gb" and "series" we wouldn't be taking this discussion to where it is now. Having a huge amount of gb's to delete would take hours to delete rather than just watching it streamed, THATS my point. Obviously your going to reply again, with nonsense as if you just want to argue. So il be leaving now. Good bye.

haha, oh wow.

I diden't dodge anything, I already said it takes no time to delete.
How is it even possible for it to take multiple hours to delete something? You really think somebody would believe that bullshit?

You worked yourself in a corner, so you leave, typical.

Mar 7, 2013 5:24 PM

Mar 2013
I will try to download 10 series and watch another Rederoin sensei. I just hope the videos will load fast. :[
Mar 7, 2013 8:06 PM

Mar 2013
Yes, better quality and no internet connection needed if one day you feel like watching it again.
Mar 8, 2013 2:18 AM

Oct 2012
if its a notably good anime or the animation is something worth appreciating, torrenting is the way to go
Mar 8, 2013 3:05 AM

Jan 2012
In addition to watching the anime in 720/1080p you can also get rips that no streaming site will offer such as Blu-Ray rips. Sometimes the Blu-Rays have upgraded animation or scenes that were censored in the TV production. Only downside to downloading is you need a good connection for it to be efficient.
Mar 8, 2013 3:13 AM

Feb 2013
^^ yeah that's true you need a good connection, my download speed is around 30kb/s but still i prefer downloads over streaming.
Mar 8, 2013 3:50 AM

May 2012
I stream because I just find it easier. I don't care if my anime is in high definition or not (as long as it's decent quality), I don't care about having a saved copy of it (I'll just buy the DVD if I like it) and I've never understood how to torrent anything because clearly I am a fucking idiot.
Mar 8, 2013 5:52 AM

Jan 2012
RarityRoyale said:
I stream because I just find it easier. I don't care if my anime is in high definition or not (as long as it's decent quality), I don't care about having a saved copy of it (I'll just buy the DVD if I like it) and I've never understood how to torrent anything because clearly I am a fucking idiot.

Not really hard as long as you know the sites to look for. It just takes a lot of patience thanks to having to rely on seeders. I just don't think it's worth it unless you plan on keeping it to watch with some friends or something.
Mar 8, 2013 9:28 AM

Feb 2013
If I really am interested in an anime, I'd download the episode for higher quality and, when available, I'd buy the DVD or BluRay sets. Beside that, I don't really bother downloading series I know I won't ever go back to. Usually, that happens for comedy series, etc.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Mar 8, 2013 10:16 AM

Nov 2010
Kaneki said:
I will try to download 10 series and watch another Rederoin sensei. I just hope the videos will load fast. :[

do it like i did when starting out,

download a series you want to start out with (or stream one if you don't want to wait)
download the next one (or more, i tend to download 1 at a time to make it go bit faster) and then keep doing that untill you reach your download limit or you downloaded everything you want to watch :D
Mar 8, 2013 11:01 AM

Dec 2012
It depends.. If I can find 1080p or 720p on the web then there's no need for downloading. Also On websites such as Nico Nico Douga, or Bilibili, there's floating comment system which makes it more interesting... As many viewers are watching the video with you and Tsukomi on it.
Mar 8, 2013 12:11 PM

Dec 2012
I prefer streaming, downloading takes much longer and it's annoying to find a good place to download from.
Never forget! Don't believe in you who believes in me, don't believe in me who believes in you, believe in you...who believes in yourself!
Mar 8, 2013 12:17 PM

Jan 2012
Lunaza said:
I prefer streaming, downloading takes much longer and it's annoying to find a good place to download from.

Nyaa isn't too bad. It's just hard to find a good amount of seeders sometimes, as well as sometimes when I download something at least one of my playback devices wont read the subtitles. Not to mention PS3 conversion of MKV files takes forever. Much easier if I download the files as flv.
Mar 8, 2013 6:58 PM

May 2009
For rewatching and offline comfort, yes but with AnimeTwist I can preview/watch a series in great quality.
Mar 8, 2013 10:58 PM

Mar 2013
I used to torrent and save all the anime I Like the most, but now I want the actual DVDs for my collections, so I just stream and if I like it, I buy it!

Mar 9, 2013 12:07 AM

Jan 2008
I prefer to download so I can rewatch a series I like again later. Approaching 1TB of data so gotta get some backup sorted so I don't loose it all
Mar 9, 2013 8:40 PM

Jul 2012
You can streaming them first and then if you like them a lot, you can download them.

I do both, depending on how much I think I'll rewatch it in the future.
Mar 10, 2013 7:17 PM
Sep 2010
Downloading is better, but its up to your preference and its formed by your own opinion.
Mar 10, 2013 10:48 PM
Aug 2008
Mar 10, 2013 11:02 PM

Mar 2013
most likely, but Ive never tried downloading. This is only a presumption.

Mar 11, 2013 3:07 AM

Mar 2013
I prefer to have easy access to anything I want to watch so I prefer to download and save on my external hard drive whenever I can.
Pages (7) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - 9 hours ago

27 by perseii »»
2 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men?

Alpha_1_Zero - 4 hours ago

31 by Archean-Return »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - 5 hours ago

24 by Kurgo »»
10 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 3 4 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

170 by perseii »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 1 hour ago

5 by Ratris_Decision »»
24 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.