Forum Settings
Forums

is downloading episodes better than streaming?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]
Dec 17, 2013 12:54 PM

Dec 2013
Nope- said:
Depends on your internet speed and depends on what you're downloading.

This.

I personally never download anime unless I'm going on a roadtrip and need a fix on the way.
Dec 17, 2013 12:54 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
DramaEnthusiast said:
HaXXspetten said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
If you want to see an unlicensed anime like Higurashi off downloading, that's fine, as I am doing the same. But when you take shit that is licensed like Angel Beats, and watch it fan subbed....you're crossing the line.
why

A licensed show actually has someone who can exercise copyright in your jurisdiction and that might mean suing you in court, the same way record companies go after music file sharers.

It is illegal and causes people legally involved in production to lose $.
well sure, but that only goes if they actually do it... which is kinda impossible given the size of the internet, hence why people do it
Dec 17, 2013 12:57 PM
Jul 2013
HaXXspetten said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
HaXXspetten said:
DramaEnthusiast said:
If you want to see an unlicensed anime like Higurashi off downloading, that's fine, as I am doing the same. But when you take shit that is licensed like Angel Beats, and watch it fan subbed....you're crossing the line.
why

A licensed show actually has someone who can exercise copyright in your jurisdiction and that might mean suing you in court, the same way record companies go after music file sharers.

It is illegal and causes people legally involved in production to lose $.
well sure, but that only goes if they actually do it... which is kinda impossible given the size of the internet, hence why people do it

Actually another reason could be that I don't think that Japanese production companies have bribed enough congressmen to have the laws changed in the way that US movie and record companies have.
Dec 17, 2013 1:37 PM

Jan 2012
So many people seem to think by streaming they are not downloading the anime. You have to download it anyway, just in a form that you cannot access freely and rewatch. Other than the smaller file size due to the quality there is really no benefit to streaming at all.
Dec 17, 2013 1:50 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
ReasonDesu said:
So many people seem to think by streaming they are not downloading the anime. You have to download it anyway, just in a form that you cannot access freely and rewatch. Other than the smaller file size due to the quality there is really no benefit to streaming at all.
yeah the moral issue at hand is the ability to watch material illegally, not whether you happen to do that on a browser or from your computer directly
Dec 17, 2013 2:37 PM

Jun 2013
Higher quality, watch on any device, no internet connection required, watch using your preferred media player, higher availability. Is this even a question?
If you generalize, you're wrong.
Dec 17, 2013 2:52 PM

Jun 2012
sedmelluq said:
Higher quality, watch on any device, no internet connection required, watch using your preferred media player, higher availability. Is this even a question?
Dec 17, 2013 6:36 PM
Oct 2013
Always better, best choice I've made to download a 720p version of the Code Geass Akito the Exiled 1 movie, looks so good, can only imagine how good the 1080p version would be.

But if it's a good series, I keep it, if I don't like it that much and don't think I'll ever watch it again, I delete it. Though if it's one of my all time favourites, I try to buy it so I can actually have the physical version.

Also I try to balance out downloading and streaming so I don't cap my internet :P
Dec 17, 2013 7:58 PM

Aug 2012
I like streaming better because its faster, my internet is perfect so it never lags, and I don't have to waste space on my laptop. And the quality difference compared to downloading isn't worth the time in my opinion ( and besides if I want the best quality I can always go to my blu-ray collection).
Dec 17, 2013 8:04 PM

Aug 2009
usually streaming quality is shit
Dec 17, 2013 8:10 PM

Dec 2012
Since my internet speed sucks, downloading episodes by using someone else's internet that is decent does great in terms of watching anime

I used to stream everything that I watched.

downloading > streaming
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Dec 17, 2013 8:10 PM

Apr 2012
i use to stream but I have a 2+ terabyte partitioned hard drive on my desktop so I'm making good use to it :3 Can't live without that 720, 1080 quality anymore :D

Dec 17, 2013 10:06 PM

Aug 2012
sedmelluq said:
Instant access, not hitting the bandwidth cap, ability to support the industry legally without having to pay a single penny for the things you watch. Is this even a question?

This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Dec 17, 2013 10:08 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Downloading will always be better than streaming in my opinion.
I mean the 720-1080p access anywhere is soooooo goooooooood
Dec 17, 2013 10:15 PM

Jun 2013
gamer2710 said:
sedmelluq said:
Instant access, not hitting the bandwidth cap, ability to support the industry legally without having to pay a single penny for the things you watch. Is this even a question?

I don't have a bandwidth cap and have a 100Mbit/s download speed. I live in a country which streaming services refuse to support (also no physical anime is sold here and I don't have a BluRay device anyway). I keep things I might want to watch downloaded in advance, but even without it, it doesn't take more than a few minutes for a BD quality episode to "arrive".
Dec 17, 2013 10:21 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
sedmelluq said:
gamer2710 said:
sedmelluq said:

I don't have a bandwidth cap and have a 100Mbit/s download speed. I live in a country which streaming services refuse to support (also no physical anime is sold here and I don't have a BluRay device anyway). I keep things I might want to watch downloaded in advance, but even without it, it doesn't take more than a few minutes for a BD quality episode to "arrive".

I just cried when i heard 100mbs download.
18 mbs for me ;_;
Dec 17, 2013 10:38 PM

Nov 2007
Streaming is technically downloading as well, but is of usually lower quality. On Crunchyroll, 720p is around 1,800kbps, while 1080p is around 3,000kbps.

Compared to BDrips compressed in 10bit, 720p can be around 5,000kbps or more, while 1080p can be in excess of 10,000kps. Now for even higher quality, BDMVs are uncompressed which means they can typically be 3-4x higher bitrate than the usual BDrips. BDrips can also be using lossless audio such as FLAC, DTS-HD, etc, which is of higher quality than lossy audio such as AAC, MP3, etc.

In general, downloading (not streaming kind) is of higher quality than streaming... but i'm not talking about those 720p 100MB reencodes (or reencodes in general), which are obviously of much lower quality than streaming (typically 600kbps?).

If you want to actually own a series, then yeah go ahead and watch with your BDs... since you don't need to download anything then.
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Dec 17, 2013 11:38 PM

May 2013
Won't you get all kinds of viruses from downloading anime?
Dec 18, 2013 12:03 AM

Dec 2013
I only download anime series if the number of episodes is 13 to 26 only.
Dec 18, 2013 12:14 AM

Jun 2013
D1C3M4N said:
I hope that was sarcasm.
Dec 18, 2013 12:17 AM

Jan 2013
Kissanime streams their anime in ridiculously amazing quality, i watch on there mostly
Dec 18, 2013 3:09 AM

Jun 2007
ibrahim2712 said:
Kissanime streams their anime in ridiculously amazing quality, i watch on there mostly
Labeling streams "1080p" doesn't automatically make them good quality.
Dec 27, 2013 6:49 AM
Jul 2018
I'm downloading everything I've watched. I hate streaming. -_-
Dec 28, 2013 5:25 AM

Apr 2012
YEsu.

Because you can rewatch it anytime, which scene how fast without having to rebuff it again.
I for one love to replay hilarious scenes from my favourites or just ground breaking epic badass moments of glory
The Art of Shipping is no mere game. It can be small skirmishes to huge nation size wars.
Of course some will claim their ship is the BATTLESHIP but they all do. This is why battles occur because of factions fighting each other to justify their favourite ship.
And thus SHIP to SHIP combat occurs almost anytime even now.
Beware, Threading into the Shipping battlefield will be bloody.... What are you waiting for?
Dec 28, 2013 5:36 AM

Dec 2013
hmmmm no
Dec 28, 2013 5:45 AM

Apr 2011
sedmelluq said:
D1C3M4N said:
I hope that was sarcasm.

If not, I'll just answer with this: Depends where you're downloading from.
Dec 28, 2013 11:42 PM

Nov 2013
Zalis said:
ibrahim2712 said:
Labeling streams "1080p" doesn't automatically make them good quality.

it's youtube so the quality isn't exactly blueray quality but youtube's 720/1080p is still better than any other site's standard definition. they're not just "labeling" it 1080p but also uploading 1080p.
Dec 28, 2013 11:50 PM

Apr 2012
Both are "illegal" you know.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Dec 29, 2013 10:46 AM

Apr 2010
I never stream anything. I want my anime to keep, so I can go back and watch whatever show whenever I like rather than looking for crappy streams who you don't know which sub group they've even uploaded. :D
Dec 29, 2013 10:50 AM

Nov 2012
antonnn said:
I never stream anything. I want my anime to keep, so I can go back and watch whatever show whenever I like rather than looking for crappy streams who you don't know which sub group they've even uploaded. :D

besides that, you can always download the Bd's, something not that many
streaming sites do ^^
Dec 29, 2013 10:50 AM

Jan 2013
antonnn said:

This. Also, 720p and 1080p and dual audio options are nice too.
Salmon is delicious.
Dec 30, 2013 1:02 PM
Sep 2010
Exaccus said:
antonnn said:

This. Also, 720p and 1080p and dual audio options are nice too.
Should peopl with a slow internet connection download or stream?
Dec 30, 2013 1:06 PM

Apr 2010
I'd say download in 480p if available, cause it'll still look better than a stream and won't be too big a file size. I mean, if you have slow internet and you stream an episode, then want to watch it again later, you'll have to wait all over again for the stream to load. At least if you download it, it's there for you to watch as many times as you want after only one download.
Dec 30, 2013 1:13 PM

Feb 2013
If you've got a a good internet connection, download it. Streaming encodes are pretty much crap.
Aliis si licet, tibi non licet.
Apr 4, 2014 9:44 AM

Oct 2010
streaming is better if u have fast connection
PersiusAug 30, 2016 5:25 PM
Apr 4, 2014 10:09 AM

Mar 2014
Downloads don't suffer buffer or unstable connection problems like streaming. Also streaming requires a good heck of an internet to work at full HD with zero problems, this would take away your ability to download something in the background and what else. You could also watch offline.

Downloading all the way. I only streamed one and one episode of School Days and P&S with Garterbelt, the 2 and 3 other episodes of the respective anime were downloaded.
Pages (7) « First ... « 5 6 [7]

More topics from this board

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 7 hours ago

33 by FanofAction »»
3 minutes ago

» Characters you like but everyone else hates.

Spunkert - May 17, 2023

41 by AverageRiceFan »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Yesterday

19 by mizukasa »»
18 minutes ago

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - Today

17 by RaymondAnime »»
19 minutes ago

» Isekai anime are better than any other genre.

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 20

43 by KittenCuddler »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.