Forums
Poll: Which would you prefer?

Dec 5, 2012 7:29 PM

Which would you like, and why?
Modified by Trool4Lyfe, Jan 16, 2018 4:20 PM

Dec 5, 2012 7:46 PM

manga > visual novels

Dec 5, 2012 7:46 PM

Greek mythology VN seems like an interesting idea and it is quite uncommon, you could always make a manga instead since it's easier to make an people prefer mangas in general too.

Definitely gets my vote.
I hope you could execute the story well.

Dec 6, 2012 3:45 PM

I think it's best for you to first do option three, the short story VN, and see how you did yourself, and let others evaluate you as well, so you can hone your skills more to do a longer one more appropriately - and here I choose option 1, Greek mythology one - you have unlimited potential here, akilles, odysseus, minotaur, icarus, magic, name it! (you can even bring in king arthur here concerning atlantis like in the pendragon cycle. <- you should read those books btw)

Dec 6, 2012 3:46 PM

Visual Novel: SHORT story, different endings, tragic ends, happy ends, emotional, etc. (your vote)

Reason: Better graphics, animation, colour, sound, voices, more dialogue, etc. - The player/reader is more engaged.

Dec 6, 2012 3:50 PM

Visual novels are better than manga generally, so go for that <3.

Dec 6, 2012 6:36 PM

Ezekiel said:
manga > visual novels

Even though i want to try playing those visual novels intended for the female audience, i don't really have enough effort to try.
I just rather read more manga.

Dec 6, 2012 6:43 PM

The first option... I saw your deviant art account and while your art isn't all that bad, I still think Novels are the best choice, especially if you're going for things like easy character development. :D
To the last, I grapple with thee; from hell’s heart I stab at thee; for hate’s sake I spit my last breath at thee. Sink all coffins and all hearses to one common pool!

Dec 6, 2012 6:46 PM

I've generally enjoyed seeing people's envisioning of different mythologies and such, so number one was naturally my choice; especially with a branching plot.

A long visual novel is a bit much for just one person though, so if you're working alone I would suggest the shorter version.

Dec 6, 2012 7:16 PM

Virtual_BS said:
Visual Novel: SHORT story, different endings, tragic ends, happy ends, emotional, etc. (your vote)

Reason: Better graphics, animation, colour, sound, voices, more dialogue, etc. - The player/reader is more engaged.

pretty much this. plus, i'm not sure if you've done anything with multiple endings, but it's complete hell to keep track of it and keep it organized. shot wouldn't be so bad, especially with immediate endings.
"Reality can really bum you out" - Ash Ketchum

Dec 7, 2012 2:16 AM

It depends on what you are capable of... Do you think you can pull off a long visual novel? Have you had experience making manga or visual novels in the past? Biting off more than you can chew could lead you to giving up halfway through or making something not up to your own standards...

Dec 7, 2012 2:19 AM

The most important thing is the level of your writing. If you're an awful writer nothing good is going to come of any of the options. So, I'd say go with the short VN - and actually I'd suggest taking out any choices within the VN itself. Just make it a kinetic novel along the lines of things like Planetarian and use it to judge the quality of your writing as well as how you felt working on the project. If it came out well and you actually enjoyed doing it as well, then move on to the other projects.

Writing is a talent and a skill, just telling yourself you'll be good at it won't make anything you type out worth reading - so really take your time writing a short VN and see how it comes out is my overall advice. You gotta walk before you can run.

Dec 7, 2012 2:19 AM
otaking
i swich between the two
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong