Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 3, 2012 9:18 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Dat winter with the snow.

This latest episode was alright with the samurai figure, talks, and fighting. Winter war ftw. I also found that song is pretty catchy as well. Dat intense battles.
Stark700Dec 3, 2012 12:44 PM
Dec 3, 2012 10:15 AM
Oct 2012

Leave it to the soviets to come up with a song about a Girl and her Rocket Launcher. Social realism in action. Catchy song though.

Looking forward to being able to watch the show, should be up in a couple of minutes.

Edit: the nice thing about knowing there is a faster site is that you can search until you can find it.

Very good episode, loved the kotatsu party, how japanesque. The use of the nutcracker was excellent, the building up of the situation to be similar to Stalingrad (which of course the History team foreshadowed) promises one hell of a great next episode. All the principles are in place, both mothers, the secret has been revealed, now is the time for Miho to power up, if only metaphorically.

The Stalingrad reference I think is key. Remember the Nishizumi philosophy is "always forward", which at Stalingrad proved to be a disaster for the Germans. The Russian commander was obviously thinking of this in setting up the situation Miho can only win be transcending her mother's teaching, which of course will surprise the hell out of the Russians, piss her mother off, and serve as the major conflict for the ultimate battle.

I think this is why Darjeeling leaked Miho's name. She was in her own way setting the stage (as she has since the 4th episode).
Takuan_SohoDec 3, 2012 10:43 AM
Dec 3, 2012 10:20 AM
Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:

Leave it to the soviets to come up with a song about a Girl and her Rocket Launcher. Social realism in action. Catchy song though.

Looking forward to being able to watch the show, should be up in a couple of minutes.

Actually, the song "Katyusha" is about the eponymous girl who longs for her loved one who's a soldier. The rocket launcher is named after the song.

And yes, the song is quite catchy by itself, but sung by the Pravda girls is just total eargasm. <3
Dec 3, 2012 10:38 AM

Sep 2012
Hi! I am back (from a long travel) !

This is time I repost what I posted back in Ep.4 discussion here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=510851&show=80#msg18090795

By the way, a closer look at that pic got me notice this:
* Nonna (CV: Uesaka Sumire)
Nonna is a the deputy commander of the Pravda team (USSR inspired of course)

I gasped at the choice of Uesaka Sumire as the seiyuu of Nonna because Uesaka is famous as a loli-dresing Russian/USSR otaku (who actually now studys Russian in Sophia University, one the top schools in Japan for foreign studies) who says she loves Russian history, literature, art, military, music, everything. Everyone should know about this amazing girl, perhaps starting with her blog http://ameblo.jp/sumire-uesaka/ and her cosplay as a Russian soldier http://c.asset.soup.io/asset/3119/0188_8848.jpeg

More pics of Uesaka (where you can see her in loli mode)
http://rikakon.soup.io/since/240351901?mode=friends&newer=1

Reading the wiki introduction of her, it seems that she is also a tank lover and her favorite tank is Russia's BT-5 (she said it before she got the GirlPan role).
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 3, 2012 10:48 AM
Oct 2012
symbv said:

This is time I repost what I posted back in Ep.4 discussion here: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=510851&show=80#msg18090795

I gasped at the choice of Uesaka Sumire as the seiyuu of Nonna because Uesaka is famous as a loli-dresing Russian/USSR otaku (who actually now studys Russian in Sophia University, one the top schools in Japan for foreign studies) who says she loves Russian history, literature, art, military, music, everything. Everyone should know about this amazing girl, perhaps starting with her blog http://ameblo.jp/sumire-uesaka/ and her cosplay as a Russian soldier http://c.asset.soup.io/asset/3119/0188_8848.jpeg

Reading the wiki introduction of her, it seems that she is also a tank lover and her favorite tank is Russia's BT-5 (she said it before she got the GirlPan role).

And you are welcomed back! Hope it was a great trip.

How much do you want to bet that Uesaka didn't have to even audition for this role? This team obviously put a lot of thought into this animation before they started, this is just another example. My only regret is that one damn illustrator that made 6 a week late, if not for that bastard we would be watching the concluding Pravda battle right now. Damn whoever you are to hell! Now I have to wait a week for what promises to be a great battle.

I wonder what the rules for adding tanks in a battle are.
Dec 3, 2012 12:41 PM
Nov 2012
Since I'am watching the RAW version, and I'am can't understand 90% of the words, I really don't know what's going on. Espacially the end.

Really like that Soviet native song although this song is much more grand and epic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yDrtNEr_5M
(national Anthem of the CCCP)URA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jyuu-niDesuDec 3, 2012 12:53 PM
Dec 3, 2012 1:50 PM

Sep 2012
Jyuu-niDesu said:
Since I'am watching the RAW version, and I'am can't understand 90% of the words
To me what Nonna said when she offered the snack to Darjeeling was more the problem (but Uesaka's Russian is almost perfect! ) but fans in 2ch helped the translation:

Пирожное Картошка をどうぞ。Печенье も。
Please have some potato cakes, and the cookies too.

And I never know that the jam is not supposed to put into the tea but is supposed to be licked into the mouth before drinking the tea! I think I'd need to do some research to see if this is the proper way to drink Russian Tea.....

Jyuu-niDesu said:
And for Pravda, consisting a whooping 15 tanks, mostly T-34/72, but the lead tanks, as far as I can tell 2 of them, are definitely Panther-killing T-34/85. Also spotted one JS heavy tank, and a funny looking but crudely effective KV-2 heavy tank, with that gargantuan turret housing a 152mm howitzer for knocking down fortification.
There is no need to guess or count, because at around 11:20 there is a display of all the tanks of both teams. Pravda has 15 tanks: 7 T34-76s, 6 T-34-85s, 1 JS-2 and 1 KV-2.

Takuan_Soho said:
Very good episode, loved the kotatsu party, how japanesque. The use of the nutcracker was excellent, the building up of the situation to be similar to Stalingrad (which of course the History team foreshadowed) promises one hell of a great next episode. All the principles are in place, both mothers, the secret has been revealed, now is the time for Miho to power up, if only metaphorically.
I would say it is yet another great episode. Besides what you said I also love the extra interaction introduced by Sadako (particularly when Anzu introduced as Sadako LOL). The fact that the student council room is located up on the bridge of the carrier brought me smile, as is the revelation that the tournament location is decided by a roulette! The Soviet references here and there (the team leader looks like a little despot, the reason they gave for not doing practice is "to save fuel", the Katchusya rocket launcher vehicle Katchusya and Nonna drove to meet the Ooarai team; the threat to send anybody who let her tank to be struck down to "Siberia" - though it means something a bit different LOL), how long they actually sang the folk song Katchusya (in fact I read from a staff's twitter that they decided to do it because they had Uesaka but that means Kanemoto, who voiced Katchusya, was also pressed into singing in Russian! LOL). As for the Stanlingrad-like build-up, in fact Stalingrad was mentioned by the "history girls team"!! Even the call for surrender to the surrounded and trapped Ooarai team looks Soviet, as it is just what Soviet tried when they surrounded German's 6th Army in Stalingrad. The one thing I wonder whether it will be explored further is whether the teams will reflect upon their failure to pay attention to Miho's more cautious approach (not once but twice) and thus get themselves weakened and trapped.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
NexuDec 3, 2017 12:34 PM

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 3, 2012 6:07 PM

Apr 2008
Katchusya is really the catchiest part this episode.

About the meeting (Churchill & Stalin :D ), Gloriana already lost ?

The consideration they made for number of vehicle is too mysterious.
2-02 Limitations of Numbers of Vehicles
Each team may not field more vehicles than the number designated by the League.
However, it is possible to field less than the designated number.
How much do they expect a balanced battle with near 3:1 proportion, that's without considering the composition.
Maybe they did it with roulette too.

symbv said:
And I never know that the jam is not supposed to put into the tea but is supposed to be licked into the mouth before drinking the tea! I think I'd need to do some research to see if this is the proper way to drink Russian Tea.....
Never knew it, but attempting to stir in jam into tea, usually the taste doesn't mix well anyway (most of the jam just sink down).
nseikaDec 3, 2012 9:57 PM
Dec 3, 2012 7:07 PM
Nov 2012
symbv said:
Jyuu-niDesu said:
And for Pravda, consisting a whooping 15 tanks, mostly T-34/72, but the lead tanks, as far as I can tell 2 of them, are definitely Panther-killing T-34/85. Also spotted one JS heavy tank, and a funny looking but crudely effective KV-2 heavy tank, with that gargantuan turret housing a 152mm howitzer for knocking down fortification.
There is no need to guess or count, because at around 11:20 there is a display of all the tanks of both teams. Pravda has 15 tanks: 7 T34-76s, 6 T-34-85s, 1 JS-2 and 1 KV-2.

Dec 3, 2012 8:43 PM

Oct 2012

If you like that scroll hanging on the wall above Miho's mother's head in Episode 8 at 07:16, what it says is 豬突猛進. Feel free to Google this phrase, or search on Google Images or to print it out using Microsoft Word. Literally, it means " A wild boar charges forward ! " But it seems that a more idiomatic translation might be " Go for it ! "

Here is a great explanation: http://thedailyyoji.blogspot.ca/2009/01/blog-post_14.html
okanaganDec 3, 2012 8:52 PM
Dec 3, 2012 8:52 PM
Sep 2012
symbv said:

Welcome back.

I bet that Uesaka Sumire was like a kid in a candy store when she found out that she was going to sing a famous Russian song in Russian.

I love seeing those T-34's rushing towards them in a snowy winter night - in Russia of course. Katusha really deserves to have her ass kick with bad her attitude and all.

Miho needs to develop a backbone. She succumbs to peer pressure too easily. It was obvious that it was a trap and she could have ordered them to stop before they reached the town - which every tank commander knows is a deathtrap for the many ambush spots. The others didn't know since they're still novices, but Miho is a veteran and she's been trained for this by her mom and by the previous school she went to.

Speaking of mom, it'll be hard on Miho when she finds out that she's been disowned by her parents.
IconicDec 3, 2012 8:56 PM
Dec 3, 2012 8:59 PM

Mar 2010
I just learned the scenario writer of this show was really into the WWII history stuff after recognizing the "NUTS!" reference near the end of the episode.

Dec 3, 2012 9:10 PM
Sep 2012
stevewiess01 said:
I just learned the scenario writer of this show was really into the WWII history stuff after recognizing the "NUTS!" reference near the end of the episode.

I recognized that line too from war movies like Patton.
Dec 3, 2012 9:23 PM
Oct 2012
AiCon said:
Miho needs to develop a backbone. She succumbs to peer pressure too easily. It was obvious that it was a trap and she could have ordered them to stop before they reached the town - which every tank commander knows is a deathtrap for the many ambush spots. The others didn't know since they're still novices, but Miho is a veteran and she's been trained for this by her mom and by the previous school she went to.

Speaking of mom, it'll be hard on Miho when she finds out that she's been disowned by her parents.

Miho has backbone, she stood up to her mother, that should prove it. The issue isn't backbone, the issue is that she isn't taking things seriously. She wants people to enjoy Senshadou, she does not want to turn into her mother where winning is everything, as she explained last episode that is what she is trying to get away from. Now that the stakes have been raised, she will change, I was going to say that the iron would rise, but iron is inflexible, and Miho's great strength is her flexibility.

As for being disowned, it will be a bit of a shock, but remember the same thing has already happened to Hana with her mother, and I doubt that Miho is suffering from any illusions about what her mother thinks. Remember her reaction to the video clip in the first episode? To defeat Pravda, Miho is going to have to act very un-Nishizumi, that will only piss her mother off more. Tradition is a bitch in Japan.
Dec 3, 2012 9:30 PM

Sep 2012
Lyrics of Katyusha (Катюша) for the part Katyusha and Nonna and their crew sang:

Rastsvetali yabloni i grushi,
Poplyli tumani nad rekoy
Vyhodila na bereg Katyusha
Na vysokij bereg, na krutoy
Vyhodila na bereg Katyusha
Na vysokij bereg, na krutoy

Vyhodila, pesnyu zavodila
Pro stepnovo sizovo orla
Pro tovo kotorovo lyubila
Pro tovo ch'i pis'ma beregla
Pro tovo kotorovo lyubila
Pro tovo ch'i pis'ma beregla.

Translation:

Apples and pears were blossoming
Mist on the river floating
On the bank Katyusha stepped out
On the high steep bank
On the bank Katyusha stepped out
On the high steep bank.

Stepped out, started a song
About one grey steppe eagle
About her loved one
Whose letters she cherished
About her loved one
Whose letters she cherished.

Someone said he found the Soviet anthem more epic and grand, but I guess for the girls that folk song may be better (besides the epicness was boasted by the "URA!!!" war cry before the singing), and I am sure the idea is to have Katyusha singing Katyusha (and then of course there is also Katyusha riding a Katyusha moments before) :-D

According to the official Twitter, Katyusha got her team captain job because it was her tank which struck down the flag tank Miho commanded in last year's final. My guess is at that time Pravda's team captain was a senior who has now graduated, and for Katyusha was picked to succeed as team captain this year.

Dec 3, 2012 9:38 PM

Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:

Edit: the nice thing about knowing there is a faster site is that you can search until you can find it.

The Stalingrad reference I think is key. Remember the Nishizumi philosophy is "always forward", which at Stalingrad proved to be a disaster for the Germans. The Russian commander was obviously thinking of this in setting up the situation Miho can only win be transcending her mother's teaching, which of course will surprise the hell out of the Russians, piss her mother off, and serve as the major conflict for the ultimate battle.

I think this is why Darjeeling leaked Miho's name. She was in her own way setting the stage (as she has since the 4th episode).

God... where to begin.

Firstly what a great episode, you know you have player style if you rock up to a meeting in a Katyusha rocket launcher truck.
I knew the soviets would arrive :D

It was good to see an IS-2 (god i love those tracks) and a KV-2 (big turret looks goofy to me) but i thought the purge refrence was poor taste (again just my feelings)

Loved the song the girls sung, i see i was proven wrong about rabbit team using their hull cannon haha.

Damn the panzer 4 just looks straight sexy now with the upgrades :)

I feel that when they were hiding in the church and asked to surrender by the soviets it was also a reference to the battle of the bulge ( "what a nut job" as opposed to "nuts" but that just might be me reading too much into it)

Me thinks the girls need some more german steel to help them out (bet they wish they had the tiger for this battle)

Finally it was good to see them finally use the type 89 as the flag tank.
2 damn-it!

Ura!
no_good_nameDec 3, 2012 9:43 PM
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 3, 2012 9:39 PM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
AiCon said:
Miho has backbone, she stood up to her mother, that should prove it. The issue isn't backbone, the issue is that she isn't taking things seriously. She wants people to enjoy Senshadou, she does not want to turn into her mother where winning is everything, as she explained last episode that is what she is trying to get away from. Now that the stakes have been raised, she will change, I was going to say that the iron would rise, but iron is inflexible, and Miho's great strength is her flexibility.
Actually speculation by a lot of fans in Japan is that perhaps the revelation of possible school closure may swing Miho the other way, turning her into a victory-seeking "demon" and she may resort to trickery or sacrificing her team mates to snatch victory. This would give her mom a second thought about disowning her but it will come at a heavy price of losing team loyalty or cohesion. This is a kind of orthodox approach for a "striving in sports" kind of drama popular in Japan so I guess this may well be possible.

Personally I also think Miho has had it too easy with her team, but on the other hand the desire to charge forward is so strong and prevalent in her team and so I can understand why she relented. But on the other hand, when her team ignored her call for caution the second time, one can indeed argue that Miho should have made a stronger stand although in the heat of battle any field communication can easily get lost.

no_good_name said:
It was good to see an IS-1 (god i love those tracks) and a KV-1 (big turret looks goofy to me) but i thought the purge refrence was poor taste (again just my feelings)
It is actually IS-2 and KV-2 :-)

A fan in 2ch actually made a guide soon after the episode. Great job!
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/zakuzaku911/imgs/a/f/af3fd21e.jpg

Also...

Wow, Doujin for the Pravda team is already out!!! So quick !!!
http://blog.livedoor.jp/geek/archives/51373080.html

Actually reading the article more closely, this doujin is already at its 8th volume and the 1st volume was released way back in 2009, so the story is about an all-girl team of tank crew but not specifically about the Pravda school. The artist now also draws the Girls und Panzer manga -- you can tell the staff really found the proper person to do the manga adaptation!

And a video to share:

An introduction of T34/85 (in Russian)

NexuDec 3, 2017 12:34 PM

Dec 3, 2012 10:02 PM

Nov 2012
symbv said:
no_good_name said:
It was good to see an IS-1 (god i love those tracks) and a KV-1 (big turret looks goofy to me) but i thought the purge refrence was poor taste (again just my feelings)
It is actually IS-2 and KV-2 :-)

A fan in 2ch actually made a guide soon after the episode. Great job!
http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/zakuzaku911/imgs/a/f/af3fd21e.jpg

Also...

Wow, Doujin for the Pravda team is already out!!! So quick !!!
http://blog.livedoor.jp/geek/archives/51373080.html

Actually reading the article more closely, this doujin is already at its 8th volume and the 1st volume was released way back in 2009, so the story is about an all-girl team of tank crew but not specifically about the Pravda school. The artist now also draws the Girls und Panzer manga -- you can tell the staff really found the proper person to do the manga adaptation!

And a video to share:

An introduction of T34/85 (in Russian)

hahaha how long has it been since you refreshed the page?
I realised when i posted and modified it (hence the "2 damn-it" at the end)

Am i the only one who hates it when they say JS-2 instead of IS-2?

Good picture (clears up confusion for tank noobs)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 3, 2012 10:04 PM

Oct 2012
Gomoyo having trouble driving in the snow .

In Episode 8 at 15:10, the girl driving Sodoko's tank is Gomoyo. One version of the subtitles incorrectly calls her "Tomoyo". Gomoyo is the one with the jet black hair going down to her shoulders. You can clearly hear Sodoko call her "Gomoyo".

The other girl on the team is Pazobi. We never see her inside the tank. I don't know what her job in the tank is. Pazobi is the one with jet black hair just to the top of her ears.

In the Renault Char B1 bis, the commander is very busy, since he/she has to (1) command the tank (2) load the gun and (3) fire the gun. And in addition he/she might have to command other tanks in his/her group. This excessive workload of the commander was a major weakness of the design. But I am sure that Sodoko can easily handle it.
okanaganDec 3, 2012 10:07 PM
Dec 3, 2012 10:08 PM

Sep 2012
Jyuu-niDesu said:
Thanks man. The video quality on the site I watch easy that clear, so that massive fifteen tank formation is hard to tell the 76 from the 85.
The screencap below should help a bit in identifying the tanks when they are shown maneuvering in formation:
http://apr.2chan.net/dec/18/src/1354551338849.jpg

in the front row, the center and the left are the 85 (you can tell by the spare track on the front panel of the armor) while the right of the front row and the second row are composed of the 76. The one behind all those T34 tanks is the IS-2. The KV-2 lags behind everyone.
symbvDec 3, 2012 10:11 PM

Dec 3, 2012 10:10 PM

Nov 2012
symbv said:
Jyuu-niDesu said:
Thanks man. The video quality on the site I watch easy that clear, so that massive fifteen tank formation is hard to tell the 76 from the 85.
The screencap below should help a bit in identifying the tanks when they are shown maneuvering in formation:
http://apr.2chan.net/dec/18/src/1354551338849.jpg

in the front row, the center and the left are the 85 (you can tell by the spare track on the front panel of the armor) while the right of the front row and the second row are composed of the 76. The one behind all those T34 tanks is the IS-2. KV-2 lags behind everyone and is not seen in the screencap.

and that was some fine tanks porn you posted, did you know if there was a version with subs?
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 3, 2012 10:14 PM
Oct 2012
symbv said:
Actually speculation by a lot of fans in Japan is that perhaps the revelation of possible school closure may swing Miho the other way, turning her into a victory-seeking "demon" and she may resort to trickery or sacrificing her team mates to snatch victory. This would give her mom a second thought about disowning her but it will come at a heavy price of losing team loyalty or cohesion. This is a kind of orthodox approach for a "striving in sports" kind of drama popular in Japan so I guess this may well be possible.

Personally I also think Miho has had it too easy with her team, but on the other hand the desire to charge forward is so strong and prevalent in her team and so I can understand why she relented. But on the other hand, when her team ignored her call for caution the second time, one can indeed argue that Miho should have made a stronger stand although in the heat of battle any field communication can easily get lost.

Humm, possibly, but considering the situation they are in (school being threatened, surrounded in a hopeless position), if everyone decided to fight it out, I really can't see them resenting anything she did to win. They would have to know that tanks are going to have to be sacrificed to get the flag tank to safety (Pravda sacrificed a couple just to lure them into the trap). They are just too aware that the odds are stacked against them for them to be upset should they somehow win.

I think my post above is the more likely route - Miho will win, but not by the Nishizumi way, and this will set up the conflict for the conclusion. Similar to Hana, Miho has to overcome, to show that her way of senshado can match her Mother's before she is pardoned. I wrote a post predicting this path back in episode 4 (post 114), I was wrong about how the tank got in the water, but the rest of the post I think is still on. Miho's flexibility will defeat the charging boar.

No_good_name - the commie translation was bad, Momo did say was "nan dato? Nuts", which translated means "what are you saying? Nuts". Commie missed the WWII reference.
Takuan_SohoDec 3, 2012 10:21 PM
Dec 3, 2012 10:15 PM

Sep 2012
no_good_name said:
and that was some fine tanks porn you posted, did you know if there was a version with subs?
Not really, I did not watch it with subs and have not looked for it so....

no_good_name said:
I realised when i posted and modified it (hence the "2 damn-it" at the end))
I think I started to write my reply 1 minute after your post. You modified your post 5 minutes after you posted it, so I did not have chance to read your update before I finished and posted my post.... ^_^;;

Dec 3, 2012 10:25 PM

Nov 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
symbv said:

Humm, possibly, but considering the situation they are in (school being threatened, surrounded in a hopeless position), if everyone decided to fight it out, I really can't see them resenting anything she did to win. They would have to know that tanks are going to have to be sacrificed to get the flag tank to safety (Pravda sacrificed a couple just to lure them into the trap). They are just too aware that the odds are stacked against them for them to be upset should they somehow win.

I think my post above is the more likely route - Miho will win, but not by the Nishizumi way, and this will set up the conflict for the conclusion. Similar to Hana, Miho has to overcome, to show that her way of senshado can match her Mother's before she is pardoned. I wrote a post predicting this path back in episode 4, I was wrong about how the tank got in the water, but the rest of the post I think is still on. Miho's flexibility will defeat the charging boar.

No_good_name - the commie translation was bad, Momo did say was "nan dato? Nuts", which translated means "what are you saying? Nuts". Commie missed the WWII reference.

NUTS! damn guys i just have to say as a fan of the eastern front and the battle of Bastogne i am very excited about this episode (and the next) i hope they do justice to the bitter fighting of the great patriotic war (i have a feeling shits going to get real)

Commie is continuing to disappoint me, its a fucking episode about the soviets and they still couldnt put the effort in, their only saving grace is the fact they are so fast.

I think ill rewatch Stalingrad tonight :)

symbv said:
no_good_name said:
Not really, I did not watch it with subs and have not looked for it so....

no_good_name said:
I realised when i posted and modified it (hence the "2 damn-it" at the end))
I think I started to write my reply 1 minute after your post. You modified your post 5 minutes after you posted it, so I did not have chance to read your update before I finished and posted my post.... ^_^;;

da comrade you were only defending the Is-2's honour (i still think it has the best looking track assembly)

NexuDec 3, 2017 12:35 PM
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 3, 2012 10:27 PM

Sep 2012
okanagan said:
If you like that scroll hanging on the wall above Miho's mother's head in Episode 8 at 07:16, what it says is 豬突猛進. Feel free to Google this phrase, or search on Google Images or to print it out using Microsoft Word. Literally, it means " A wild boar charges forward ! " But it seems that a more idiomatic translation might be " Go for it ! "
Yes, that is a proper Japanese idiom :-) I am more intrigued by the scroll above Maho's head - 紫電一閃 (Shiden Issen) because it is a much less commonly seen Japanese idiom than 豬突猛進. Literally it means "the brief flash of the purple lightning" (and "purple lightning" means the flash of light when a sword is swung and hurled down) and the meaning is "in the flash of split second, drastic changes can happen". A very fitting teaching for senshado.

Also according to official Twitter, the interesting tank picture drawn in the Japanese sumie style at the back of Miho's mother was originally supposed to be a A7V, the first German tank, perhaps a reference for Kurominemori's German inspired tradition. The staff later changed it to Mark I, the first tank ever put in operation, perhaps they think Nishizumi school should not be mixed up with the German tradition of the Kurominemori highschool.

For those who are interested about what Sumi-e or A7V are, check:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink_and_wash_painting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A7V
symbvDec 3, 2012 10:32 PM

Dec 3, 2012 10:33 PM

Nov 2012
symbv said:
okanagan said:
Yes, that is a proper Japanese idiom :-) I am more intrigued by the scroll above Maho's head - 紫電一閃 (Shiden Issen) because it is a much less commonly seen Japanese idiom than 豬突猛進. Literally it means "the brief flash of the purple lightning" (and "purple lightning" means the flash of light when a sword is swung and hurled down) and the meaning is "in the flash of split second, drastic changes can happen". A very fitting teaching for senshado.

Also according to official Twitter, the interesting tank picture drawn in the Japanese sumie style at the back of Miho's mother was originally supposed to be a A7V, the first German tank, perhaps a reference for Kurominemori's German inspired tradition. The staff later changed it to Mark I, the first tank ever put in operation, perhaps they think Nishizumi school should not be mixed up with the German tradition of the Kurominemori highschool.

For those who are interested about what Sumire or A7V are, check:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ink_and_wash_painting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A7V

I want to visit that A7v, i'm suprised one still exists
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 3, 2012 10:54 PM

Sep 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
One possibility is perhaps Miho had to lie to teams of other tanks so that it could fool everyone and thus to strike at Pravda's flag tank. Or she over-compensates and start to impose strict discipline and stops listening to her team-mates (and yet it somehow took the team to victory). This would postpone the confrontation with her mom later but will also set the stage for a team in worse morale than it should have been as a darkhorse school which manages to reach the final. Conflicts within a team and misunderstanding between team mates is a common theme in a sports drama so it is just possible that it will be explored in this anime as well. But of course you guess is also possible too :-)

Another hint that may indicate how Miho's team will win is Katchusha's vow to destroy every other tank and leave the flag tank till the last to strike down. This may prove to be Pravda's undoing for its arrogance and complacency.

One thing I hope to see in the next episode is how the KV-2 will use its 152 mm howitzer, which is not really designed for anti-tank (unless a special HEAT charge is used) but can be very good at blasting wall away,to destroy the building in which Miho's team is hiding. In fact if it uses the anti-concrete HEAC shell it can even bring down reinforced-concrete structure!

As for the final, if they really have thoughts for a 2nd season the best may be for Ooarai to actually lose in the Final but because of exceptional performance manages to get the decision for school close-down to be rescinded. That would allow a rematch for the Miho/Maho sisters again and we can have some other combination of tournament opponents. But of course most probably the screenplay was written with no thought about a 2nd season as no one ever expected the anime to do so well. So I guess my speculation will only stay that - just a wishful thinking.

symbvDec 3, 2012 11:28 PM

Dec 3, 2012 10:55 PM

Nov 2011
Nice winter battle although i didnt like how none of their tanks were getting hit initially but the tide has turned since then and i kind of saw the cliffhanger coming.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Dec 3, 2012 11:05 PM

Sep 2012
BTW, I am watching the anime for the third time now, and I notice something really rare: Maruyama, the always daydreaming girl in the 1st Year team, actually smiled in this episode !! (I think the time is around 16:28 when a squirrel was spotted)

And what Katchusha was eating when she sat in front of her T34/85 and listened to the field report seems to be Borscht http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borscht The color looks like it.

And I keep repeating Sumipe (nickname of Uesaka Sumire) singing Katchusha..... I wonder if there will be a character song album released for Sumpie...
symbvDec 3, 2012 11:37 PM

Dec 3, 2012 11:10 PM

Nov 2012
symbv said:
Takuan_Soho said:
One possibility is perhaps Miho had to lie to teams of other tanks so that it could fool everyone and thus to strike at Pravda's flag tank. Or she over-compensates and start to impose strict discipline and stops listening to her team-mates (and yet it somehow took the team to victory). This would postpone the confrontation with her mom later but will also set the stage for a team in worse morale than it should have been as a darkhorse school which manages to reach the final. Conflicts within a team and misunderstanding between team mates is a common theme in a sports drama so it is just possible that it will be explored in this anime as well. But of course you guess is also possible too :-)

Another hint that may indicate how Miho's team will win is Katchusha's vow to destroy every other tank and leave the flag tank till the last to strike down. This may prove to be Pravda's undoing for its arrogance and complacency.

As for the final, if they really have thoughts for a 2nd season the best may be for Ooarai to actually lose in the Final but because of exceptional performance manages to get the decision for school close-down to be rescinded. That would allow a rematch for the Miho/Maho sisters again and we can have some other combination of tournament opponents. But of course most probably the screenplay was written with no thought about a 2nd season as no one ever expected the anime to do so well. So I guess my speculation will only stay that - just a wishful thinking.

I feel like i'm missing something: why will the school be closed down if they dont win?
Have they explained it in previous episodes?
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 3, 2012 11:17 PM

Sep 2012
no_good_name said:
I feel like i'm missing something: why will the school be closed down if they dont win?
We have only heard hints of it in various episodes so far and finally confirmed in the episode of the match against the Saunders, but we never know how and why this is the case.

Anyway, I now understand why such setting is necessary in the anime. Given Miho's easygoing personality it definitely needs a strong reason to prompt her to rise to the occasion to become a proper leader not just a good team-mate. The rise to leadership should be a good theme to explore for this kind of anime I think.

Trivia time: While it is easy to guess that IS-2 (JS-2) tank is named after Josef Stalin, fewer people may know the KV-2 tank is named after a Soviet marshal Kliment Voroshilov http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kliment_Voroshilov Apparently he was very active in joining the Great Purge of the 1930s and denounced many of his former comrades but he survived the purge of Stalinist elements after the death of Stalin and was still a member of the Central Committee when he died in 1969.
symbvDec 3, 2012 11:23 PM

Dec 3, 2012 11:23 PM

Nov 2012
symbv said:
BTW, I am watching the anime for the third time now, and I notice something really rare: Maruyama, the always daydreaming girl in the 1st Year team, actually smiled in this episode !!

And what Katchusha was eating when she sat in front of her T34/85 and listened to the field report seems to be Borscht http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borscht The color looks like it.

And I keep repeating Sumipe (nickname of Uesaka Sumire) singing Katchusha..... I wonder if there will be a character song album released for Sumpie...

The song was great, ive rewatched that part about 10 times now (sends a shiver down your spine,right?)

Katchusha looks so cute wearing the tankers helmet, it reminds me of children wearing G.I helmets etc in ww2 documentaries (need screenshots)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 3, 2012 11:45 PM
Nov 2012
Jyuu-niDesu said:
The KV-2 lags behind everyone.

That's where it belongs. It would have trouble keeping up. The KV-2 is on the list of the world's worst weapons. Big gun and heavy armor on an underpowered chassis. Useful for bunker-busting if it can get to the action in time.

Pravda might use it in the next episode to demolish the building in which Ooarai is sheltering.
Dec 3, 2012 11:54 PM

Nov 2012
oldskoolpunk said:
Jyuu-niDesu said:
The KV-2 lags behind everyone.

That's where it belongs. It would have trouble keeping up. The KV-2 is on the list of the world's worst weapons. Big gun and heavy armor on an underpowered chassis. Useful for bunker-busting if it can get to the action in time.

Pravda might use it in the next episode to demolish the building in which Ooarai is sheltering.

When the germans encounted it they used to just drive around them and go back later when the KV-2 had ran out of fuel (it really happened)

Congratulations on posting on the best discussion forum, go GuP!
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 4, 2012 12:00 AM

Jan 2011
Man the more i watch this the more i notice how many hidden gems are in it, looking forward to next week
Dec 4, 2012 12:03 AM

Feb 2012
Jyuu-niDesu said:

What I can tell, The Pravda carrier ,with that "ski jump"ramp and red deck, is obviously based on the Admiral of the fleet Kuznetsov class carrier (which the Chinese 'Liaoning' is based) but with the helicopter landing strip and what seems like forward missile launcher of the smaller Kiev class Helicopter cruiser.
And I thought St,Gloriana's carrier is big.

Thought it was a Kutznetsov but the aerial shot makes it out to be a Minsk class
Dec 4, 2012 12:20 AM

Nov 2012
cruiser2710 said:
symbv said:
Takuan_Soho said:
As for the Stanlingrad-like build-up, in fact Stalingrad was mentioned by the "history girls team"!! Even the call for surrender to the surrounded and trapped Ooarai team looks Soviet, as it is just what Soviet tried when they surrounded German's 6th Army in Stalingrad. The one thing I wonder whether it will be explored further is whether the teams will reflect upon their failure to pay attention to Miho's more cautious approach (not once but twice) and thus get themselves weakened and trapped.

Well you know... I saw it coming right at the start of the episode. From the jubilation and high spirits of Kampfgruppe Miho to the rapid dash after the T34 and the T34 chase... It was just like what happened to the 6th Army.

Though the surrender demand and Momo's reply of "Nuts!" seemed more like one of the surrender demand in the Battle of the Bulge.

Holding up in that church screams STALINGRAD!

Hopfully Miho wont suffer the same fate of fieldmarshel
cruiser2710 said:
symbv said:
Takuan_Soho said:
As for the Stanlingrad-like build-up, in fact Stalingrad was mentioned by the "history girls team"!! Even the call for surrender to the surrounded and trapped Ooarai team looks Soviet, as it is just what Soviet tried when they surrounded German's 6th Army in Stalingrad. The one thing I wonder whether it will be explored further is whether the teams will reflect upon their failure to pay attention to Miho's more cautious approach (not once but twice) and thus get themselves weakened and trapped.

Well you know... I saw it coming right at the start of the episode. From the jubilation and high spirits of Kampfgruppe Miho to the rapid dash after the T34 and the T34 chase... It was just like what happened to the 6th Army.

Though the surrender demand and Momo's reply of "Nuts!" seemed more like one of the surrender demand in the Battle of the Bulge.

Holding up in that church screams STALINGRAD!

Hopfully Miho wont suffer the same fate as Field Marshal Paulus.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 4, 2012 12:24 AM

Feb 2012
no_good_name said:

My sister thinks Kampfgruppe Miho would win though I'd think otherwise.

Thus far, all the signs in the episode points to the eventual downfall of the group. Unless a Manstein appears among them.

Even if they win, it'll be in the most dire straits. They'd end up like the High Seas Fleet after Jutland
Dec 4, 2012 12:26 AM

Sep 2012
no_good_name said:
Saunders flag commander has already said it during the chase and her triade
What episode was it in, i honestly cant remember.
Episode 6 in the fight against Saunders. When Saunder's flag tank was being chased by Miho's whole team, its tank commander, who is voiced by the great Aya Hirano and earlier was intercepting the radio communication within Miho's team, started to get upset and irritated by being chased and she kept shouting and talking to herself inside the tank. One of the lines is "they should just have the school close down after all" or something like that.

cruiser2710 said:
Thus far, all the signs in the episode points to the eventual downfall of the group. Unless a Manstein appears among them.
Hey, Guderian is among them, don't you forget? X-D

By the way, by close observations we can list out the damage suffered by Miho's team now:

Stg III : Track broken, damaged track wheel on the right
Mk IV: Turret damage, turret turning may not be possible
M4: Gun damage, firing is not possible

The 2 most powerful tanks in the team are all damaged. It is already in dire straits...

NexuDec 3, 2017 12:37 PM

Dec 4, 2012 12:28 AM

Feb 2012
symbv said:
no_good_name said:
What episode was it in, i honestly cant remember.
Episode 6 in the fight against Saunders, when Saunder's flag tank was being chased by Miho's whole team, its tank commander, who is voiced by the great Aya Hirano and earlier was intercepting the radio communication within Miho's team, started to get upset and irritated by being chased and she kept talking to herself inside the tank. One of the lines is "they should just have the school close down after all" or something like that.

SPOT ON!

Seriously... after EVERY EPISODE of GuP... There's this insatiable desire to WoT and take out my incomplete shelf queen armour models and do it.

I've got a T34-76 standing around for rework... I might turn it to a Pravda tank

symbv said:
cruiser2710 said:

How can I forget....

Now if Yukari is Guderian, what does that make Miho be? Rommel? Rundstedt (If I spelt his name correctly)? Rommel? Patton?

We know Momo-chan is a Prussian junker

NexuDec 3, 2017 12:37 PM
Dec 4, 2012 12:38 AM
Sep 2012
symbv said:
cruiser2710 said:

By the way, by close observations we can list out the damage suffered by Miho's team now:

Stg III : Track broken, damaged track wheel on the right
Mk IV: Turret damage, turret turning may not be possible
M4: Gun damage, firing is not possible

The 2 most powerful tanks in the team are all damaged. It is already in dire straits...
The tracks can be repaired so they're not out of the fight yet.
Dec 4, 2012 12:40 AM

Nov 2012
cruiser2710 said:
no_good_name said:

My sister thinks Kampfgruppe Miho would win though I'd think otherwise.

Even if they win, it'll be in the most dire straits. They'd end up like the High Seas Fleet after Jutland

I think she will do running repairs on her tank and just try to hold out, then out of the snow will ride a certain tiger tank to the rescue just like Pattons third army, Miho will then claim that its help was not needed (god that would be awesome but then again thats more bastogne)

cruiser2710 said:
symbv said:

How can I forget....

Now if Yukari is Guderian, what does that make Miho be? Rommel? Rundstedt (If I spelt his name correctly)? Rommel? Patton?

I'd say Kurt Knispel just to be a bit different (its cooler to not be a general) now he had style and was alot more "human" then most ww2 german aces.

NexuDec 3, 2017 12:38 PM
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 4, 2012 12:48 AM

Sep 2012
The military otaku in GirlPan 2ch thread is amazing.... I am learning more stuff about T34...

According to them, the T34/76 does not yet have a commander copula on the top of the turret like the one you can see in the T34/85 in the anime. This means the model is an earlier model, probably before 1943. From the design of the base part of the gun, they conclude it is likely to be a 1942 model made by Chelyabinsk Tractor Work No.178 (ChTZ).

As for the T34/85, they think it is quite clear from the gun design that it is a 1944 Model made by Krasnoye Sormovo Factory No.112.

Ураaaaaaaaaa !!!!!

Dec 4, 2012 12:49 AM

Apr 2011
no_good_name said:

So Arisa' mention of their school closing down is true.
Dec 4, 2012 12:54 AM

Feb 2012
no_good_name said:
cruiser2710 said:
symbv said:
cruiser2710 said:

How can I forget....

I'd say Kurt Knispel just to be a bit different (its cooler to not be a general) now he had style and was alot more "human" then most ww2 german aces.

WoT player I see
Dec 4, 2012 12:57 AM

Nov 2012
symbv said:
The military otaku in GirlPan 2ch thread is amazing.... I am learning more stuff about T34...

According to them, the T34/76 does not yet have a commander copula on the top of the turret like the one you can see in the T34/85 in the anime. This means the model is an earlier model, probably before 1943. From the design of the base part of the gun, they conclude it is likely to be a 1942 model made by Chelyabinsk Tractor Work No.178 (ChTZ).

As for the T34/85, they think it is quite clear from the gun design that it is a 1944 Model made by Krasnoye Sormovo Factory No.112.

Ураaaaaaaaaa !!!!!

Yeah, they got the copula when the revised 3 man turret with the 85mm gun was installed, i'm sure the 3 man turret was of the t-44 (the t-34s replacement that never was, was later used as the basis of the t-55)

cruiser2710 said:
no_good_name said:

WoT player I see

No just a fan of nazi german war history, do they base Kurt Knispel on a character in the game?

NexuDec 3, 2017 12:38 PM
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 4, 2012 1:06 AM

Sep 2012
Found a few versions of Katyusha sung by girls so want to share them here:

A version perhaps dated from WWII years:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3dVQhZDF4A

A modern version from 2010:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65RhWzrbqPA

Another modern rendition:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4v1nDa7tLY

A live version sung by little girls:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_RTQRf5IyA

For the really dedicated, check out this youtube list which has almost 100 Katyusha videos in it.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDCF266D7823AA3E8
symbvDec 4, 2012 2:08 AM

Dec 4, 2012 1:14 AM

Oct 2012
With this episode, GaruPan is becoming much deeper than I had expected.

If you look at the background of the people who created GaruPan, their previous work was fairly fluffy stuff like K-On, Squid Girl and Maria-sama Ga Miteru. Squid Girl WAS planning an invasion, at least. Those are all good shows, but even so . . .

Miho looks like a Moeblob. That she is. But her character has been developed step by step through the series to let us see her inner complexity.

Senshado isn't war. Some other people have posted very good analyses of what Senshado IS by drawing analogies with other traditional martial arts, some of them specialized to girls. The whole idea of "playing war" is deeply offensive to some people and I am willing to respect that.

But Senshado is dangerous. You really can get hurt. Killed even. Miho knows that only too well from that incident at Kuromorimine when that tank fell into the ocean.

There was an incident just yesterday in Japan involving Archery. A certain high school has an Archery club. Somehow a 17 year old boy fired an arrow and hit a 16 year old girl in the head, seriously injuring her. I can't read the story well enough to understand exactly how bad her injuries are. Anyways, here is the link:

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/news/20121202-OYT1T01105.htm

I hope she's okay.
okanaganDec 4, 2012 1:25 AM
Dec 4, 2012 1:19 AM

Nov 2012
okanagan said:
With this episode, GaruPan is becoming much deeper than I had expected.

If you look at the background of the people who created GaruPan, their previous work was fairly fluffy stuff like K-On, Squid Girl and Maria-sama Ga Miteru. Squid Girl WAS planning an invasion, at least. Those are all good shows, but even so . . .

Miho looks like a Moeblob. That she is. But her character has been developed step by step through the series to let us see her inner complexity.

Senshado isn't war. Some other people have posted very good analyses of what Senshado IS by drawing analogies with other traditional martial arts, some of them specialized to girls.

But Senshado is dangerous. You really can get hurt. Killed even. Miho knows that only too well from that incident at Kuromorimine when that tank fell into the ocean.

There was an incident just yesterday in Japan involving Archery. A certain high school has an Archery club. Somehow a 17 year old boy fired an arrow and hit a 16 year old girl in the head, seriously injuring her. I can't read the story well enough to understand exactly how bad her injuries are. Anyways, here is the link:

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/national/news/20121202-OYT1T01105.htm

I hope she's okay.

Haha i was just talking about Shinryaku! Ika Musume, unfortunately i cant read japanese :(

I think the storyline is going to get serous from this episode on, i expect bitter fighting from the soviets.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

symbv - Oct 29, 2012

243 by Abeke »»
Mar 14, 7:00 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

symbv - Mar 18, 2013

167 by giannis85 »»
Jan 21, 12:49 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 17, 2012

191 by giannis85 »»
Jan 18, 4:53 AM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

symbv - Dec 10, 2012

320 by giannis85 »»
Jan 4, 10:08 PM

Poll: » Girls und Panzer Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Nov 26, 2012

164 by giannis85 »»
Nov 20, 2023 2:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.