Forum Settings
Forums

What anime do you consider your guilty pleasure?

New
Dec 2, 2012 2:31 AM

Oct 2012
As in, a bad series you can't help but love.

Example- The show has quite a bit of flaws, it's mostly disliked, or it's just outright bad but you still like it for whatever reason. It does not have to literally make you feel guilty.

Mine are -

Rosario Vampire- This show isn't bad for a harem/ ecchi, but it obviously isn't going to win an award for best writing any time soon (though maybe it will win one for the most panty shots). I still thoroughly enjoyed it due to the fun characters and art style, lots of vibrant colors and kneesocks and pantsu cool character design with some pretty solid animation to top it off.

Ga-Rei-Zero- This show had a lot going for it, but unfortunately it was poorly executed in a few areas and it could have been better overall. I like it for the tragic storyline elements and cheesy drama and the bonds that Yomi and Kagura share is touching. At least, I thought it was touching ;_;

Gundam Wing- Gundam Wing isn't bad at all, but it does have some noticeable flaws such as a lot of reused animations, at times stiff voice acting, and a lack of a back story for the main characters. This show gets a lot of heat from Gundam fans for being overrated, while I can see where that comes from I think it's mostly just bitterness that Gundamn Wing was the first Gundam series to get popular with the Western audience, not to mention the yaoi fangirls. I'm a big fan of Gundam Wing because I have fond memories of it from Toonami and love all the cheesy dialogue, over the top fight scenes, and the characters are great.

What are some of yours?

Make sure you post why you think it's a guilty pleasure and why you still like it or rate it higher then most to help promote discussion.

Mod Edit: Please do not simple list in this thread and do what the OP has stated in the center bold
MasterTengkorakApr 11, 2015 11:10 AM

Pages (19) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 2, 2012 2:33 AM

May 2008
Not really guilty about any of the anime I've seen...
Dec 2, 2012 2:51 AM

Oct 2012
FauxAzn said:

I didn't mean you literally had to feel guilty about watching it, just one where you like/rate it more then the majority of people do. Basically you like it for a reason more then liking it for actually being good.

Dec 2, 2012 2:55 AM

Nov 2012
Mine is strike witches- it has so many tasty panty shots in it you just couldnt really watch it with anybody.

I wonder if anybody counted the number of sweet sweet panty shots it has in total....
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 2, 2012 2:56 AM

Oct 2012
School Days.

By all definition I should hate it but I like to think of it as one big giant " **** you " to the Harem genre due to it's ending.
Dec 2, 2012 2:56 AM

Nov 2011
High School of the Dead. It's terrible and I love it. Especially the dub.
Dec 2, 2012 2:57 AM

Jun 2009
no_good_name said:
Mine is strike witches- it has so many tasty panty shots in it you just couldnt really watch it with anybody.

I wonder if anybody counted the number of sweet sweet panty shots it has in total....

This.

As much as I enjoyed the show, it's just not something I'll watch with others.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2012 3:00 AM

Sep 2012
Mine are...
Guilty crown - its probably one of those mostly hated series, but i dont give a damn about it (rated 9)
School days - everybody says it has shit ending, but i like it this way
Dec 2, 2012 3:02 AM

Oct 2012
Ak-201 said:
Mine is...

I thought that was the only thing people liked about it?

Dec 2, 2012 3:02 AM

Mar 2012
AirStyles said:
no_good_name said:

This.

When you put it like that, almost everything I've seen counts.

But the worst of the worst are the ecchis, especially B Gata H Kei. Holy fuck, that's a good dub.
Sekirei's another one., Then there's DearS, Galaxy Angel, Highschool DxD, and so on.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Dec 2, 2012 3:09 AM

Sep 2012
Shrabster said:
Ak-201 said:
Mine is...

I thought that was the only thing people liked about it?

well i often see ppl saying "**** that ending"
Dec 2, 2012 3:09 AM

Nov 2012
Negative-Travis said:
AirStyles said:
no_good_name said:

This.

But the worst of the worst are the ecchis, especially B Gata H Kei. Holy fuck, that's a good dub.
Sekirei's another one., Then there's DearS, Galaxy Angel, Highschool DxD, and so on.

oh god i had forgotten about sekirei-agreed.
Galaxy angel just gives you cavities and diabetes.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 2, 2012 3:13 AM

Apr 2011
Guilty Crown - Most people find it to be sucky, I don't think it deserves the amount of hate it gets. It's a decent enough show if you stop comparing it to Code Geass, which is what happened to most people. Though I will agree, that ending sucked a bit.

To Love-ru, Asu no Yoichi! & Sora no Otoshimono - What? I love my ecchi.
Dec 2, 2012 3:18 AM

Nov 2012
Negative-Travis said:
AirStyles said:
no_good_name said:

This.

Strike witches rates higher because the mention the girls age, i had a family member walk in during a scene- i swear i almost died.
I then did the most guilty thing-i paused it (it was playing on tv and not my computer, it stopped on a zoomed out panty shot)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 2, 2012 3:37 AM

Jan 2012
I think Bakemonogatari and Nisemonogatari are both actually pretty meh, honestly. But the problem is that the wordplay/humor/fantasy/mystery/ecchi were all things that made the shows pretty perfect for me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 2, 2012 3:40 AM

Jun 2012
K-on most definitely xD if i watched that with a friend they would most likely change their opinion on me xD although my friends know i like it, or at least 2 of them do xD im not like a huge massive fan or anything though :P
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Dec 2, 2012 3:40 AM
Jul 2018
Panty and Stocking is the epitome of Guilty Pleasure.
Dec 2, 2012 3:42 AM

Nov 2012
jimbob1141 said:
K-on most definitely xD if i watched that with a friend they would most likely change their opinion on me xD although my friends know i like it, or at least 2 of them do xD im not like a huge massive fan or anything though :P

Most of my friends are anime fans but i hide alot of the series i like from them (they wouldnt understand and call my a pussy)
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 2, 2012 3:45 AM

May 2008
Shrabster said:
FauxAzn said:

I didn't mean you literally had to feel guilty about watching it, just one where you like/rate it more then the majority of people do.

Oh, if we’re going strictly by that definition, this immediately comes to mind:

The lowest-scoring title on MAL I’ve tried and actually really enjoyed:

Earth Maiden Arjuna – MAL Score: 7.09
Such a low score here made me terribly hesitant to even try Arjuna. Fortunately, one of my favorite AMVs featured this anime:

...making me seriously curious about how an anime could look so amazing and fresh, yet end up with a mere 7.09 here. So I tried it.

The barrage of environmental messages seemed to be such a cause for concern with most people, but they were pretty refreshing to me (though admittedly a bit extreme at times), and didn't seem that overdone. As well, though the protagonist herself was terrific, the other semi-main characters -- Chris, Cindy, Tokio -- were really irritating. But it definitely excelled in terms of originality, art, and music (Maaya Sakamoto + Yoko Kanno, anyone?)

Two others I could also mention:

Uchuu no Stellvia – I score it a 9/10, despite MAL’s low 7.59. I’m not quite sure what it is people don’t like about this anime, but Stellvia was a rare find for me -- I was spellbound the entire time. I don’t know, maybe I enjoyed it so much because the show kept reminding me of Ender’s Game, a book with a premise I thoroughly enjoyed.

Saki – Who knew melodramatic moe-mahjong could be so fun and interesting?
Dec 2, 2012 3:46 AM

Nov 2012
Neane1993 said:

panty and stocking art and animation disgusts me- i dont get how people could enjoy whats basically powerpuff girls..... unless they like powerpuff girls.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 2, 2012 3:47 AM

Oct 2012
Hyouka

I don't usually like "big eyes" / overly cute anime :D
Humans are things that don't know the true value of something precious until they lose it.
And if somehow they get their precious thing back, they'll forget its value again.
- Mido Ban
Dec 2, 2012 3:54 AM

Jan 2012
no_good_name said:
Neane1993 said:

panty and stocking art and animation disgusts me- i dont get how people could enjoy whats basically powerpuff girls..... unless they like powerpuff girls.

that's the point

it's a satire on western animation

not that i really cared for it much or anything
Dec 2, 2012 3:57 AM

Nov 2012
contagioned said:
no_good_name said:
Neane1993 said:

that's the point

it's a satire on western animation

not that i really cared for it much or anything

Then it would have to be hella funny because i dont think i can think of any western animation i enjoy, i really dislike it when they try to rip off anime style and always fail.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 2, 2012 4:00 AM

Nov 2011
Anime like K-ON, Lucky Star, etc.
Which is basically just a bunch of cute girls doing cute things or just lots of silliness and comedy.

I understand a lot of them don't have much story, character development and so on, but somedays I just like to sit back, relax and just watch something simple like that where I can just be entertained and occasionally make like "SQUEE" noises from some of the cuteness.

Not a pretty sight.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Dec 2, 2012 4:01 AM

Oct 2012
FauxAzn said:
But it definitely excelled in terms of originality, art, and music (Maaya Sakamoto + Yoko Kanno, anyone?)

I'd give any anime with music by Yoko Kanno a try just on principle. Every soundtrack she touches turns to gold.

Dec 2, 2012 4:05 AM

Apr 2012
Ore No Imouto.
Dec 2, 2012 4:18 AM

Mar 2012
Lucky Star is the guilty pleasure for me. Sure, I rant a lot about how boring it is but I watch this show all the fucking time. I mentioned on another thread that I was willing to buy the $400 blu-ray boxset import and I wasn't lying when I said that. It's probably my least favourite Kyoani work but I still love it.
Dec 2, 2012 4:20 AM
Jan 2011
K-on and Strike Witches I guess.
Dec 2, 2012 4:31 AM

Sep 2012
Seen and loved every episode of Queen's Blade in existance

and Kiss X Sis
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise the Oppai ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Dec 2, 2012 4:33 AM

Sep 2011
Zero No Tsukaima.

Dec 2, 2012 4:40 AM
Aug 2011
Dog Days
Dec 2, 2012 4:48 AM

Nov 2012
SquadmemberRitsu said:
Lucky Star is the guilty pleasure for me. Sure, I rant a lot about how boring it is but I watch this show all the fucking time. I mentioned on another thread that I was willing to buy the $400 blu-ray boxset import and I wasn't lying when I said that. It's probably my least favourite Kyoani work but I still love it.

Its my bible, azumanga daioh is the only thing that rates higher for me.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Dec 2, 2012 5:10 AM

Nov 2010
Horizon, I enjoy it a lot.
Dec 2, 2012 6:31 AM
Jul 2012
Goryo said:
Kiss X Sis

dis
Dec 2, 2012 6:43 AM

Aug 2012
Neane1993 said:

Same for me.
Dec 2, 2012 6:43 AM
Apr 2012
Tantei Opera Milky Holmes, I consider this a guilty pleasure for sure. I love it so much though.
Dec 2, 2012 6:50 AM

May 2010
Guilty pleasure anime shows I like are those that I don't take too seriously and just enjoy them for what they are and find them fun to watch, such as...

-All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku
-Bakuretsu Hunters
-Burn Up W
-Haiyore! Nyaruko-san
-Ranma 1/2
Dec 2, 2012 6:55 AM
Jul 2012
Lucky star
Dec 2, 2012 8:41 AM
Sep 2012
i think 90% of the anime/manga i read/watch I would not watch/read with other people lol but if I had to pick one that I would rate more than any... would be;

Kiss x Sis

only anime that is between the lines of hentai and safe....
what I mean is that...

Its not a romance where nothing gets done...
its not a hentai where every other minute its a sex scene

its cute... its awesome. haha thats my view though = P
Dec 2, 2012 8:54 AM

Nov 2011
Shrabster said:
FauxAzn said:

I didn't mean you literally had to feel guilty about watching it, just one where you like/rate it more then the majority of people do. Basically you like it for a reason more then liking it for actually being good.

The purpose of anime is to entertain, why its good is pretty much irrelevant to me.
So to answer the question, I don't have a guilty pleasure.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Dec 2, 2012 8:55 AM

May 2010
Papa to Kiss in the Dark
Kirepapa
Slayers Revolution and Evolution-R (looks like everybody besides me hates these :< And I really think they were good)
Kiss x Sis
Elfen Lied
Peach Girl
Dec 2, 2012 11:23 AM

Apr 2011
Shrabster said:
As in, a bad series you can't help but love.

Example- The show has some big flaws, it's mostly disliked, or it's just outright bad but you still like it for whatever reason.

Mine are -

Rosario Vampire. This show isn't bad for a harem/ ecchi, but it obviously isn't going to win an award for best writing any time soon (though maybe it will win one for the most panty shots). I still thoroughly enjoyed it due to the fun characters and art style, lots of vibrant colors and knee sock- er- character design with some pretty solid animation to top it off.

Ga-Rei-Zero. This show isn't bad in general, just poorly executed in a lot of areas and it could've been better overall. I like it for the tragic storyline elements and cheesy drama and the bonds that Yomi and Kagura share is touching. Shut up, I thought it was touching ;_;

Gundam Wing. Gundam Wing isn't bad at all, but it does have some noticeable flaws such as a lot of reused animations, at times stiff voice acting, and a lack of a back story for the main characters. This show gets a lot of heat from Gundam fans for being overrated, while I can see where that comes from I think it's mostly just bitterness that Gundamn Wing was the first Gundam series to get popular with the Western audience, not to mention the yaoi fangirls. I'm a big fan of Gundam Wing because I have fond memories of it from Toonami and love all the cheesy dialogue, over the top fight scenes, and the characters are really likeable.

What are some of yours? Make sure you post why it's a guilty pleasure and why you still like it or rate it higher then most.

Loved Ga-Rei Zero, and proud lol.
Dec 2, 2012 11:25 AM

Sep 2011
Almost every romance i have watched

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 2, 2012 11:31 AM

Oct 2011
Simoun and Noir. They are not that good, but personally I couldn't stop watching them.
Dec 2, 2012 12:13 PM

Apr 2011
Nisemonogatari
Shoujo Sect
School Days kinda
Elfen Lied
Lucky Star
Sola
Dec 2, 2012 12:53 PM

May 2008
rederoin said:
Shrabster said:
FauxAzn said:

The purpose of anime is to entertain, why its good is pretty much irrelevant to me.

Exactly. I feel the same way.
Dec 2, 2012 7:25 PM
Jul 2012
neontaster said:
High School of the Dead. It's terrible and I love it. Especially the dub.
yeah budday
Dec 2, 2012 7:38 PM

Sep 2012
Mine is Mahou Shoujo Madoka and Tantei Opera Holmes Milky
Dec 2, 2012 7:42 PM
Oct 2012
Guilty Crown..lol get it
Dec 2, 2012 7:46 PM

Dec 2011
Uta no Prince-Sama. It's bad but I couldn't stop watching it.
Pages (19) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

59 by Lightskynight »»
56 seconds ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 3 hours ago

10 by Jackson1333 »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

16 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

114 by -YaoiBoy- »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Yesterday

19 by PlasticRobot »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.