Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 13, 2008 4:54 PM

Oct 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This series really makes me sad... .-. no one even gets happier or relieved if they took revenge...there's just emptiness...and to send your own mother to hell? sure it's a really hard time...but..hmm it doesn't seem right...even i can understand some of those feelings somehow (not especially on this episode though)...lost in despair almost anything could happen...
Nov 20, 2008 11:05 AM
May 2008
This is one of those episodes where I had to laugh... You send your own mother to hell and condemn yourself to hell for taking revenge on her, thats one way to solve family issues.

The reason for all this in this particular episode does seem to be pretty weak to me, and a number of these revenges in this series (1st and 2nd season) are weak to condemn your own soul to hell.
Nov 28, 2008 12:29 AM

Jun 2008
Dude, this episode sucked. And am I just as crazy as that mother or was a little bit of "like mother like daughter" present at the end with, "Everyone's already here!" business? I mean that kinda scared me when Emi said that. Anyway I know that my mother would act the same way if something happened to me.
Sep 25, 2009 7:57 PM

Aug 2009
Holy fishpaste, that family is a bunch of crazy fools.
First the mother, then her daughter?

Loool, it's so sad I just had to laugh. It was a pretty intense episode. Everything, even the surroundings were heavy. Inteeeense.
Jan 7, 2010 1:08 PM

Nov 2009
the mom was messed up!!! in the end y would she think her son is in hell... wouldnt she hope hes in heven...
Mar 19, 2010 11:05 AM

Mar 2010
this episode was pretty crazy. i really think the mother should have been put in an INSTITUTION, and not sent to hell. she obviously had a problem, but the saddest part is it could have been fixed.

i don't think the girl went the way of her mother at the end, but was just lonely and probably regretful. she sends her own mother to hell and now her dad is probably going insane looking for her. so, essentially, she's killed her father too, emotionally.
Mar 30, 2010 12:35 AM
Sep 2009
A stay in hell is enough to break even the strongest person's sanity...
...So I have to wonder how Hell Girl feels about ferrying someone who's already completely broken. It's not really punishment if the woman is completely oblivious to everything but her son, I would think...

...The episode was well crafted as far as storytelling goes, but it was definitely weak, here and there.
Just my two cents.
May 7, 2010 2:38 PM

Jun 2009
Hey, that was a cool episode! one of the best in the both seasons.
it's an important subject of parents who smother kids with their love
i hate seeing insane mothers like this, and it should be right decision to put her into hell, but she understands nothing.. so the only profit is that she disappeared and hereby stopped annoying others.
Jun 20, 2010 4:00 PM

May 2010
Mindfuck to the last seconds of the episode...

in this episode, you will die horribly... *laughs just as shion*
lightness vs. darkness
Nani mo kamo wo hoshigatteita Mayoeru mono no chikai
Mada miru sekai o tsukuridasu koto Kuchi hateteiku
Jul 2, 2010 5:46 PM

May 2010
The only things that I didn't like about this episode was that there was no torture scene and she didn't freak out about going to Hell. I know its weird but those are my favorite parts, also the girl didn't get tortured enough to send her mother to Hell she could have just sent her parents to crazy institution, and she could have lived in foster home.
Real Hell is inside a person-Ai Enma (Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae)
Do you know where hell is? Inside your head-Chrona (Soul Eater)

Oct 30, 2010 6:36 AM

Jul 2010
It was a crazy episode, I'm really respecting the people who write all those story's, I couldn't have enough ideas for 2 seasons :O

It was a sad episode, a bit creepy ending but good... but the story's in the second season are a bit less intense then in the first season, which is not a bad thing cauz now they concentrate a bit more on the the helpers and it's a bit "lighter" too watch, sometimes I thought the episodes from season 1 weren't that enjoyable to watch cauz it was too dark?
Jan 26, 2011 10:43 PM

Dec 2008
Haha, some people laughed at this? I just found it way too depressing. ^^;

And because my family is insane, ironically, a few days ago, as dinner discussion, we were talking about what would happen if one of our siblings died. And my mother said, "Well, I'd just about give up, then; there's something wrong when a mother loses her child. Life should just not work out that way." And my brother and I went, "WELL, HEY, WHAT ABOUT US? We'd still be around!!" She never gave a real, clear answer.

Scarily enough, I can imagine this happening to parents when they lose a beloved child. It's not like I can relate to it since I have no child of my own, but I can imagine an obsession so deep it runs as insanity. And your mind just gets fogged up without thinking about how it affects people around you. It's kind of like when a new baby is born into a family, and the older child feels neglected since the focus suddenly lies on the new baby.

But touching back with the episode, I don't think sending her to hell was the right thing to do. Clearly the whole family needed some kind of therapeutic help, especially the mother. Her ways affected the son and then ultimately her husband and her daughter, and by the end they'd all lost it.

I like Jigoku Shoujo this time around... I think there are some more blurred lines into who really deserves to go to hell and who doesn't. It kind of makes you think about it more, especially with some more characters emphasizing that it's either not worth the price or just a really bad thing to do and the guilt and thoughts they have behind it. I think the first season was more cut-and-dry, because I remember really enjoying seeing most of the people getting what they deserved. Then again, there was Hajime and Tsugumi to point out these things to other people rather than having the people realize it themselves...

...Aw. And now I miss 'em.
Feb 13, 2011 2:41 PM

Oct 2009
Oh joy! Everyone is crazy now wheeeeeee -_- lol uhh this episode was quite depressing, but seriously sending her to hell was stupid, couldn't she just send her to a Mental Institution?
Geez but i can see this happening in real life as well -.-'

- Now i need to watch some comedy show to wash this down xD
Feb 19, 2011 3:26 AM

Oct 2008
What a horrible mother.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jul 2, 2011 2:38 PM
Jun 2011
Wow :/
I know that when someone close to you die you act strangley but this was sick. with capital S. maybe someone could say that every mother would act that way, but there was a flash back when Tsatsuya explaind about his mother treating him like a doll. He did not call Enma Ai for some argument they have had. I just hope that the girl and her father have a wonderful life (but judging on the last scene that is unlikely) :/
Aug 26, 2011 3:17 PM

Mar 2010
Aaron_Lee_72 said:
This is one of those episodes where I had to laugh... You send your own mother to hell and condemn yourself to hell for taking revenge on her, thats one way to solve family issues.

The reason for all this in this particular episode does seem to be pretty weak to me, and a number of these revenges in this series (1st and 2nd season) are weak to condemn your own soul to hell.

yeh i agree..
i would hate a mother like that but why not just live on your own?
weird people.
Feb 18, 2012 1:07 PM

Apr 2010
in the end, the entire family was dysfunctional, albeit a little different in Emi's case where she was normal until Tatsuya's passing. i also feel absolutely no sympathy for the Mother, who is obviously over-obsessive of and controlling to the breaking point for Tatsuya.

if i were to feel sorry for anyone, it would be the father, of whom had the most patience and understanding, that is until he was so depressed about his wife that he felt he needed to remove himself by means of alcohol

this episode threw logic out the door and ushered in insanity...
Feb 26, 2012 5:04 AM

Jun 2011
That was one very messed up family. This episode was really sad and somewhat freaky. It does make you wonder, though, about these situations in real life (minus the Hell Hotline of course).
Apr 18, 2012 6:06 PM

Jul 2011
Lolli-Loli said:
That was one very messed up family. This episode was really sad and somewhat freaky. It does make you wonder, though, about these situations in real life (minus the Hell Hotline of course).

actually there is a real hell hotline just google it!! but then again maybe you shouldnt

anyway this episode was weird but still a subject i guess thay had to touch on
Aug 8, 2012 5:39 PM

May 2012
Crazy story, the girl is now all alone... hope she'll find happiness somewhere else!
Aug 24, 2012 2:01 PM
Sep 2009
Why hell right away? Why not send her to doctors first or mad house since she clearly was not sane anymore.

Like that she would not be around to mess up the family but she still would be alive with some hopes to recover and there would be no need to sell your own soul...
Sep 16, 2012 1:49 PM

Apr 2011
I feel bad for the girl, she has no mental support of any type. Even if the family brought the mother to counselor for help, it will be no good, because she won't be listening. If I was in the father's shoe, I would divorce the hag and live with my daughter.

I never had a crazy obsesses mother like this, so I can't comment on "why would someone send their mother to hell" topic. Logically, it would be best to send her away.

The last scene with the girl, she was eating with pictures, I hope it does not mean she is mental. Hoping she makes it through life.

and for the other poster's, you guys really need to put your shoes into the average Japanese family life. You guys can't compare your own lifestyle/culture to theirs. You guys have it to good.
Sep 21, 2012 3:01 AM

Jan 2012
logic.. this episode has none

brb wanting your mom dead b/c she's overprotective and annoying even though she gave birth to you, raised you and provide everything for you
brb hell girl agrees that she deserves to die for talking to much
brb sister snapped, gone full retard and pull the string for no reason
brb dad gone full retard as a beta faggot as well
brb wtf is this shit
Sep 23, 2012 4:45 PM
Sep 2009
This is a sick, dysfunctional family. The parents did a horrible job, and their children, born into this life, can't do anything about it. It seems easiest to just get rid of the problem, doesn't it?

Logically speaking, there were so many things that could have prevented this from happening, but in the series I assume that the people taking out revenge never realize just what they are doing. They base their vengeance on their emotions, their inner pain. So you have to assume to look at this from an emotional, psychological standpoint.

So with that out there, I know that the mother did all of that to herself. In the beginning she made very clear choices to act how she did, but after awhile she lost a grip on herself. Even so, she was destroying her family, and whether she wanted to fact that or not... she knew it.

Tatsuya wanted to take revenge on Mom for making his life hell. Something a spoiled child would want to do, no? If you think about it, it does make sense.

And in the end, the child wanting acceptance realized that she would never get it. No matter what happens, Mom is hopeless. Send her to an institute, and she will NOT come out sane. Mother has already made a choice to obsess over her son. Again, that does not justify sending someone to hell, but...

Come on! With such an unstable family, how are they supposed to know why this is something that should be avoided no matter what? That meeting a slow, miserable death is better than sending the cause of your pain to hell.
Sep 28, 2012 2:54 PM

Mar 2012
Sending someone to hell, no matter how bad the things he/she has done, was never right in the first place. Really.

First, her brother. Then, her mother. Lastly, her father committed suicide. Who wouldn't lose her sanity with that? But compared to her mother, there's still some hope left for her.
Nov 30, 2012 5:09 AM

Jan 2012
mother got on my nerves towards the end, i know i can't put myself in that kinda situation and I guess some people just can't deal with the loss of a son/daughter, but sending her to hell was stupid, like someone already said, get her help and put her in a hospital.
Feb 26, 2013 7:05 PM

Oct 2012
Another sad ending i'm loving this karma for pulling the string.
Mar 21, 2013 2:44 PM

Oct 2009
I don't know how some people find this laughable. This was one of the most depressing episodes in this anime for me. It was sad to see how the daughter tried so hard to make it all work in the family and the parents were too weak, so she had all the pressure on herself. And it was really heartbreaking that last scene where the daughter ate the dinner all by herself and made the table like the whole family was still there...
Mar 28, 2013 1:12 PM

Aug 2008
I get the mom's feelings, she needed someone to blame for the death of her son but she got too obsessive and stepped over the line.
In the end the entire family had to pay for her sins. What a tragedy.
Jul 11, 2013 6:13 AM

Apr 2009
disco said:
this episode was pretty crazy. i really think the mother should have been put in an INSTITUTION, and not sent to hell. she obviously had a problem, but the saddest part is it could have been fixed.

my thoughts exactly. why put her in a mental institution when you can just send her to hell?.. =_=
if we die we'll meet again in valhalla...
Aug 28, 2013 8:12 AM

Sep 2012
stupid reason to send some1 in Hell, instead of sending her hell she sold have called authority's to take her a way in nut house :), that what i wold have done :)

her mother is lucky in 1 way, she was nuts at the time she was sent to hell, if ur nuts & in ur own world u wont feel the agony of Hell
Sep 30, 2013 5:43 PM

Jun 2012
i wonder if she even knew it was her mom who would be dead and she got nuts to after all her family disrepair.
Sugram22 said:
stupid reason to send some1 in Hell, instead of sending her hell she sold have called authority's to take her a way in nut house :), that what i wold have done :)

her mother is lucky in 1 way, she was nuts at the time she was sent to hell, if ur nuts & in ur own world u wont feel the agony of Hell
i wonder about that i don´t think living in your own world would be crazy enough to not feel agony in hell.
"When a flat-chested loli hugs you, she holds you closer to her heart"
"--I am a single bullet. It has no heart. Therefore, it does not think. It just flies straight towards its target."
Sep 30, 2013 11:57 PM

Aug 2008
xhilla said:
disco said:

my thoughts exactly. why put her in a mental institution when you can just send her to hell?.. =_=

Exactly. The mother obviously had mental problems. Though to be fair, I think in Japan, mental illness is an even bigger stigma than in the West.

Even if you have a mother who ignores you and favors your sibling over you, sending her to hell isn't going to do anything. You still won't have a loving mother. A kid sending their own parent to hell is the WORST. It's not like her mother was beating and raping her kids. It's just tragic that both of her kids hated her enough to send her to hell. They could have just endured her for a few more years and then cut ties with her. But no, they would rather send her to hell and then go to hell themselves as well.

This was a good example of a dysfunctional family. The mother was obsessive and smothering and the father totally enabled the mother. He was at fault as well for the family's problems.
Oct 4, 2013 10:37 AM

Aug 2013
So I guess that after the mother disappeared, the father became obsessed with looking for her. So that leaves the girl with a dead brother, a mother who is in hell and a father that's just as crazy as his wife. Fucked up. o____O
Feb 7, 2014 11:30 PM

Mar 2013
OK, the street has a line in the middle of the road no? How can it be the road's fault that these people crash? They should not be driving that fast and be on different sides of the road... -.-

I hate favoritism with children and that woman is insane. >.>

It's even sadder that she thinks her son would be in hell. Does she love her and not think very highly of him at the same time???

Aw, damn. That girl went crazy too. o_o

wait what happened to the father? Did he die too or something?

Mar 22, 2014 9:15 AM

Jan 2014
I don't get this episode.
For the first time in Jigoku Shoujo I find an episode illogic and very, very weak.

Why the hell would you want to send your mother to hell for?
Because she lost a son? she just lost it, did you expect her to laugh or jump? she knew she was way too apprehensive when he was alive, so she should have known that she would lost her mind for something like that.
Leave time do its work, geez!
Oct 10, 2014 10:41 PM

Nov 2013
What terrible parents. A mom who completely ignores one child and pampers the other and a father who just abandons his daughter to look for his wife who already completely lost her marbles.

Looks like that girl was beginning to lose her sanity at the end there. Guess the entire family was crazy except for maybe Tatsuya.

Decent episode. Nothing groundbreaking.
FunnyRatmanOct 10, 2014 10:48 PM

Oct 10, 2014 10:44 PM

Nov 2013
Zelgadis94 said:
I don't get this episode.
For the first time in Jigoku Shoujo I find an episode illogic and very, very weak.

Why the hell would you want to send your mother to hell for?
Because she lost a son? she just lost it, did you expect her to laugh or jump? she knew she was way too apprehensive when he was alive, so she should have known that she would lost her mind for something like that.
Leave time do its work, geez!
The best reason I can come up with is that she couldn't stand her parents anymore

Dec 28, 2014 10:23 AM

Apr 2012
I thought this was a pretty good episode, personally.

Think of it this way. Your brother is dead, your mother is so obsessed with him that she goes out and "borrows" money (who knows where it actually came from since the mother gave no confirmation on if it was actually borrowed) to continue a protest (in the form of a book) that nobody else believes should have lasted this long, and your father has completely given up on everything and is just drunk, sitting on a couch, claiming that everything is pointless and he's given up. This after your mother absolutely going nuts over the loss of your brother to begin with, and completely ignoring that she even has a family, further added on to by her always preferring your brother and never commending you despite any effort put in.

Then, your last-ditch attempt at calm, making food, ends up being dropped and spills out everywhere.

Really, I think when Emi saw that broken and spilled out meal, she realized it to be like her family, in a sense. Broken.

So she just snapped from it. By the end, it's pretty evident that she lost her mind from trying to keep her family together, and failing miserably. That's why she sent her mother to Hell, as she was hoping at least her father would go along with her "good family" ideal, but in the end, he went off to search for his (dead) wife, and Emi was left alone with her pictures of her family to make everything ideal...
Jan 6, 2015 1:42 PM

Jun 2013
Every single one of these stories so far are pretty much dead end.
Revenge is a spiral of madness. I hope people who watch this will learn to forgive, forget, ignore, fight back, and contact authorities/seek (medical) help.
Sep 24, 2015 8:22 AM

Aug 2014
What a shitty excuse of a mother.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Nov 5, 2015 6:17 PM

Jan 2014
Mindfuck...It was a crazy episode..
Nov 24, 2015 3:43 AM

Jun 2015
seriously she send her mother to hell....even if my mom tried to kill me ,I won't ....and whats with the last scene ,if the girl wanted an empty family she should had ran away or something instead of killing everyone......hmph...well what can I say....I miss the last season. WHY would her brother wanted to send his mother to hell even after getting enough attention unlike the sister.............
Jan 2, 2016 10:57 AM

Aug 2012
Loll! This poor excuse of a mother is insane!!
Like wow, then she ends up losing her mind in the end, such a pity
May 2, 2016 12:39 PM

Feb 2015
Another flipping innocent case.

All mom did was grieve for her son... maybe in a crazy way... maybe neglecting her family in the process but she didn't deserve to go to hell for that.

Sigh, I want to be glad the girl lost her mind at the end but I'm not, the whole dang episode was depressing and messed up.
Aug 4, 2016 8:26 PM

Jan 2008
I felt so bad for everyone in this episode. I wonder how the mum would have felt if she knew her son wanted to send her to hell. I think this family needs Jermery Kyle.
Oct 9, 2016 11:29 AM

Jun 2015
and the whole family goes to hell one way or another

that girl should have took the money and started over away from this crazy family instead of treading the crazy road herself
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Mar 29, 2017 10:24 AM

Apr 2009
Why are some people here think this episode is laughable?

It's kinda disturbing and depressing IMO.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 7, 2017 3:56 AM

May 2015
That episode was creepy as hell (girl))
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 12, 2017 1:40 PM
Mar 2016
what an episode. smfh
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

MEGATRON - Jul 23, 2008

64 by Violet_Midnight »»
Apr 20, 1:01 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Jul 30, 2008

64 by nrrc102 »»
Dec 4, 2023 12:21 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

so_addictive - Apr 22, 2008

85 by bunniboiz »»
Oct 26, 2023 10:23 AM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 8 Discussion

figure8life - Jul 20, 2009

46 by bunniboiz »»
Oct 24, 2023 3:14 PM

Poll: » Jigoku Shoujo Futakomori Episode 18 Discussion

aero - Jul 30, 2008

39 by Dawizz »»
Jul 23, 2023 12:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.